KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

This is what the magnetic nozzle already does at max Isp, it only uses charged particles and no propellant.

Well even at minimal throttle it uses Hydrogen at least with Antimatter Initiated Reactor.

Any way to keep radiators cooler at around 2000 K?

At 2600 K I'm losing a lot of potential thrust.

UAyJjIm.jpg

Also propellant efficiency reduces maximum power usage to what efficiency is here - Im getting higher electricity usage if I use higher efficiency propellant.

Theoretical electricity supply in my aircraft is 28 GW of power.

Edited by raxo2222

3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Sounds like a minor bug

magnetic nozzle definitely still uses fuel no matter what, but the OP definitely mentions an energy-only mode for the plasma thruster. is it currently supposed to have one or no?

Edited by Citizen Joe

Just now, Citizen Joe said:

magnetic nozzle definitely still uses fuel no matter what, but the OP definitely mentions an energy-only mode for the plasma thruster. Does it currently have one or no?

Not anymore, its functionality is transfered to a seperate part

Why propellant efficiency reduces maximum electricity usage?

This is most noticeable with EM drive, that has propellant efficiency of 9% - it uses only 9% of max power even if power supply is much greater than its needs

Also shouldn't I get only 3.6 GW of waste heat from reactors (equal to total thermal energy not used):

I'm using charged particles generator one.

IUJoyi0.jpg

It seems that reactors aren't used evenly. Also generators are generating energy kinda backwards instead of using energy from reactors being attached to.

Edited by raxo2222

6 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Why propellant efficiency reduces maximum electricity usage?

This is most noticeable with EM drive, that has propellant efficiency of 9% - it uses only 9% of max power even if power supply is much greater than its needs

Basically it has to do with heat load on the engine, which is limited. Engines maximum heat load depend on wasteheat accumulation. The propellant mode efficiency not only influence the amount of power used in propulsion, but also the amount of washeat produced and limits the maximum power. Engine have a very high theoretical maximum power, but this is never achieved because it is hard to lose wasteheat. Therefore an engine max thrust is indirectly limited by the overal wasteheat processing system. The trick is to match the right amount of electrical power, raw engine power and radiators. The opposite of electric propulsion is direct propulsion, either by thermal heat or magnetic nozzle. because power conversion is limited, efficiencies are higher, reducing or canceling the need for a lot of radiators.

28 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Basically it has to do with heat load on the engine, which is limited. Engines maximum heat load depend on wasteheat accumulation. The propellant mode efficiency not only influence the amount of power used in propulsion, but also the amount of washeat produced and limits the maximum power. Engine have a very high theoretical maximum power, but this is never achieved because it is hard to lose wasteheat. Therefore an engine max thrust is indirectly limited by the overal wasteheat processing system. The trick is to match the right amount of electrical power, raw engine power and radiators. The opposite of electric propulsion is direct propulsion, either by thermal heat or magnetic nozzle. because power conversion is limited, efficiencies are higher, reducing or canceling the need for a lot of radiators.

Well switching propellants during flight instantly changed electricity consumption even though there was same heat load during switching.

BTW my aircraft has nice property, that while you need cesium during ascend to orbit, you can finalize it using compressed air again (I think you can do it as soon as you reach 6500 m/s in low orbit).

I should drop thrust, as I ascend orbit to conserve cesium, but I guess since we can buy antimatter and fusion pellets on space market... ;^)

So to recap compressed air mode is useful here up to 25km mark and around 1300m/s, then I switch to cesium - can accelerate at 1 - 1.5g easily and could even pull 2 g at max thrust and low fuel, and again switch back to compressed air when nearby at orbit.

Edited by raxo2222

@raxo2222 It looks quite as I want it to be. Btw, do you also make use of the Plasma Wakefield  Ability to propel at high Isp by throttling low? Also how do you refuel compressed air?

2 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Also shouldn't I get only 3.6 GW of waste heat from reactors (equal to total thermal energy not used):

It indeed appears to be missing.. good catch

The fact that it is is so visible, does make it easier

Edited by FreeThinker

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@raxo2222 It looks quite as I want it to be. Btw, do you also make use of the Plasma Wakefield  Ability to propel at high Isp by throttling low? Also how do you refuel compressed air?

It indeed appears to be missing.. good catch

The fact that it is is so visible, does make it easier

Yep it uses plasma wakefield, it can replenish itself with air at 97.5% of throttle:

9 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

I did some adjustments to my bird. Now it weights 200 tons thanks to 6 2.5m cesium tanks. It uses hydrazine for RCS.

For atmospheric flight it uses compressed air.

Air gathering setup has 1.75m size and consists of adjustable ramp intake, precooler (you want to cool down incoming gas before pressurizing it or else you can rupture tanks ;^)), and compressed air gas tank.
This gas is pumped straight into plasma wakefield engine.
Or rather rushes itself under pressure from atmosphere and hundreds of tesla worth magnetic field inside of engine.

But it has very low TWR  only around 0.3 - its useful only for atmospheric flight.

It uses 2 antimatter initiated reactors connected to 2 charged particles generators - total power of 28 GW.

1 hour ago, raxo2222 said:

Yep it uses plasma wakefield, it can replenish itself with air at 97.5% of throttle:

But it has very low TWR  only around 0.3 - its useful only for atmospheric flight.

It uses 2 antimatter initiated reactors connected to 2 charged particles generators - total power of 28 GW.

I see you use the build in compressir the the Gas tank, which power is very limited. Instead I would advice the compressor in the ISRU Refinery, which is much stronger. The Air compressor is part of the liquidation process, where gas is first cooled + compressed  then decompressed and turned into cryogenic liquid resources.

It appears wakefield engine stops working under 3 atmospheres of pressure. Attached behind gas tank 1.25m fusion reactor on D-He3 mode (same as main reactors) and thermal turbojets.

These worked even at surface of Venus at 92 atmospheres!

Here is ship happily flying in Jupiters atmosphere.

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I see you use the build in compressir the the Gas tank, which power is very limited. Instead I would advice the compressor in the ISRU Refinery, which is much stronger. The Air compressor is part of the liquidation process, where gas is first cooled + compressed  then decompressed and turned into cryogenic liquid resources.

Well there is no liquid air resource - gas compressor compresses intake air to compressed gas - and there is no such option in ISRU refinery parts.

It seems like for thermal turbojet pressure is irrelevant when using atmosphere as fuel - it seems its able to compress it to even higher pressures.
Also max acceleration at sea level in atmospheric mode is around 4.5 m/s2.

---------------------------------------------------------
RSS atmospheres list: (Pressure, average temperature on surface, average temperature at 100 kPa level)
Venus - 0.90 g 11 MPa 753 K 350 K
Earth - 1.00 g 101 kPa 283 K  
Mars - 0.38 g 1 kPa 195 K  
Jupiter - 2.34 g 101 MPa 1278 K 166 K
Saturn - 0.94 g 101 MPa 1005 K 136 K
Titan (Saturn moon) - 0.14 g 159 kPa 95 K 125 K
Uranus - 0.93 g 101 MPa 731 K 76 K
Neptune - 1.16 g
101 MPa 718 K 71 K
Triton (Neptune moon) - 0.08 g 16 Pa 37 K  
Pluto - 0.06 g 1 Pa 41 K  

There is almost no gravity on Triton - can run VASMIR on compressed air here using 1.25 fusion reactor with built in charged particles generator.

It even works just fine on Mars!

I launched this tiny rocket from Mars surface.

Attached tiny ARCJET instead of VASMIR. Now it launches even on Earth!

With microwave beam network we could have air-propelled missiles!

Edited by raxo2222

16 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Got this one covered now in the next release.

FBwYrF0.png

Edit: Btw, what do you think of the current text size in the windows?

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Got this one covered now in the next release.

FBwYrF0.png

Edit: Btw, what do you think of the current text size in the windows?

I like it, now it isn't oversized.

By the way will be liquid fuel, oxidizer, monopropellant, HTP, hydrates, diborane, and kerosene modes added to cryogenic tanks and solid fuel, ore, mona zite, spodumene and minerals modes added to cargo containers?

All other resources are selectable in IFS tanks.

BTW it seems there are like 2 more versions of water, that  are in drill/isru buffer.

85vLpZF.jpg

and there is spodumene in resource config folder - probably yet another mineral, that can be stored in cargo container.

---------------------------------

I have feature request for testing purposes: can you make infinite propellant cheat work with ISRU?

That is all extractors can extract all possible resources at certain minimum percentage (for example resource concentration set to 0.1% if its lower than that value), even if normally resources doesn't exist here.

And refineries could have all options enabled in refinery window even if there aren't valid resources here.

For example I could produce hydrazine even when I don't have required resources.

Edited by raxo2222

As my save progresses into the fusion age I'm left with a question, which is the best method for ISRU production of deuterium? I made a huge solar wind collector to test the feasibility of solar farming, but the rate of deuterium accumulation is quite low.

Apparently adding resources to tanks is very easy. Resources that I added are on end of resource lists.

These configs are in TankRevamp folder.

Here is Cargo Container modified modules:

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = InterstellarMeshSwitch
        moduleID = 0
        tankSwitchNames = Alumina;Aluminium;Borate;Boron;Caesium;Carbon;Decaborane;Fluorite;Lithium-6;Lithium-7;Li6D;Li7H;Nitratine;PVC;Regolith;Salt;Silicates;Sodium;SolidFuel;Ore;Mopedantte;Spodumene;Minerals
        objectDisplayNames = Alumina;Aluminium;Borate;Boron;Caesium;Carbon;Decaborane;Fluorite;Lithium-6;Lithium-7;Lithium-6-Deuteride;Lithium-7-Hydride;Nitratine;PolyvinylChloride;Regolith;Salt;Silicates;Sodium;SolidFuel;Ore;Mopedantte;Spodumene;Minerals
        objects = Al2O3;27Al;Borate;11B;55Cs;12C;B10H14;CaF2;6Li;7Li;6LiD;7LiH;Nitratine;PVC;Regolith;Salt;Silicate;23Na;SF;Ore;Mopedantte;Spodumene;Minerals
        useFuelSwitchModule = true
        fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22
        affectColliders = false
        switcherDescription = Tank
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
        resourceGui = Alumina;Aluminium;Borate;Boron;Caesium;Carbon;Decaborane;Fluorite;Lithium-6;Lithium-7;LithiumDeuteride;LithiumHydrate;Nitratine;PolyvinylChloride;Regolith;Salt;Silicates;Sodium;Solid Fuel;Ore;Mopedantte;Spodumene;Minerals
        resourceNames = Alumina;Aluminium;Borate;Boron;Caesium;Carbon;Decaborane;Fluorite;Lithium6;Lithium;LithiumDeuteride;LithiumHydride;Nitratine;PolyvinylChloride;Regolith;Salt;Silicates;Sodium;SolidFuel;Ore;Mopedantte;Spodumene;Minerals
        resourceAmounts = 10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000;10000
        basePartMass = 0.5
        baseResourceMassDivider = 40

displayTankCost = true
        availableInFlight = true
        availableInEditor = true
        hasSwitchChooseOption = false
        showSwitchButtons = false
        availableInEditor = false
        showInfo = true
        hasGUI = true
    }

And single Cryogenic Tank.

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        moduleID = 0
        tankSwitchNames = Ammonia;Argon;CO2;CO;Deuterium;Fluorine;FusionPellet;Helium-3;Helium-4;Hexaborane;Hydrazine;Hydrogen;Krypton;Neon;Methane;Nitrogen-14;Nitrogen-15;Oxygen-16;Oxygen-18;Tritium;Water;Xenon;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;HTP;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        objectDisplayNames = Liquid Ammonia;Liquid Argon;Liquid CarbonDioxide;Liquid CarbonMonoxide;Liquid Deuterium;Liquid Fluorine;FusionPellets;Liquid Helium-3;Liquid Helium-4;Hexaborane;Hydrazine;Liquid Hydrogen;Liquid Krypton;Liquid Neon;Liquid Methane;Liquid Nitrogen;Liquid Nitrogen-15;Liquid Oxygen;Liquid Oxygen-8;Liquid Tritium;Liquid Water;Liquid Xenon;Liquid Fuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;HTP;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        objects = 14NH3;40Ar;12CO2;12CO;2D;19F;2D3He;3He;4He;B6H10;14N2H4;1H;Kr;Ne;12CH4;14N;15N;16O;18O;3T;H20;Xe;LF;Ox;MonoPropellant;HTP;Hydrates;B2H6;Kerosene
        fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22;23;24;25;26;27;28
        affectColliders = false
        //debugMode = true
    }

MODULE
    {
        bannedResourceNames = Water
        tankSwitchNames = Ammonia;Argon;CO2;CO;Deuterium;Fluorine;FusionPellet;Helium-3;Helium-4;Hexaborane;Hydrazine;Hydrogen;Krypton;Neon;Methane;Nitrogen-14;Nitrogen-15;Oxygen-16;Oxygen-18;Tritium;Water;Xenon;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;HTP;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        resourceGui = Liquid Ammonia;Liquid Argon;Liquid CarbonDioxide;Liquid CarbonMonoxide;Liquid Deuterium;Liquid Fluorine;FusionPellets;Liquid Helium-3;Liquid Helium-4;Hexaborane;Hydrazine;Liquid Hydrogen;Liquid Krypton;Liquid Neon;Liquid Methane;Liquid Nitrogen-14;Liquid Nitrogen-15;Liquid Oxygen-16;Liquid Oxygen-18;Liquid Tritium;Liquid Water;Liquid Xenon;Liquid Fuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;HTP;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        resourceNames = LqdAmmonia;LqdArgon;LqdCO2;LqdCO;LqdDeuterium;LqdFluorine;FusionPellets;LqdHe3;LqdHelium;Hexaborane;Hydrazine;LqdHydrogen;LqdKrypton;LqdNeon;LqdMethane;LqdNitrogen;LqdNitrogen15;LqdOxygen;LqdOxygen18;LqdTritium;LqdWater;LqdXenon;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;HTP;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        resourceAmounts = 15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000
        tankCost = 0;0;0;0;0;15000;0;0;0;0;15000;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0
        basePartMass = 0.3
        baseResourceMassDivider = 16
        resourcesFormat = 0.000000

displayTankCost = true
        availableInFlight = true
        availableInEditor = true
        showInfo = true
        hasGUI = true
    }

Here are modified modules of big cryogenic tank (4x height)

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        moduleID = 0
        objectDisplayNames = Liquid Ammonia;Liquid Argon;Liquid CarbonDioxide;Liquid CarbonMonoxide;Liquid Deuterium;Liquid Fluorine;FusionPellets;Liquid Helium-3;Liquid Helium-4;Hexaborane;Hydrazine;Liquid Hydrogen;Liquid Krypton;Liquid Neon;Liquid Methane;Liquid Nitrogen;Liquid Nitrogen-15;Liquid Oxygen;Liquid Oxygen-8;Liquid Tritium;Liquid Water;Liquid Xenon;Liquid Fuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;HTP;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        objects = 14NH3;40Ar;12CO2;12CO;2D;19F;2D3He;3He;4He;B6H10;14N2H4;1H;Kr;Ne;12CH4;14N;15N;16O;18O;3T;H20;Xe;LF;Ox;MonoPropellant;HTP;Hydrates;B2H6;Kerosene
        fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22;23;24;25;26;27;28
        affectColliders = false
        //debugMode = true
    }

MODULE
    {
        bannedResourceNames = Water
        tankSwitchNames = Ammonia;Argon;CO2;CO;Deuterium;Fluorine;FusionPellet;Helium-3;Helium-4;Hexaborane;Hydrazine;Hydrogen;Krypton;Neon;Methane;Nitrogen-14;Nitrogen-15;Oxygen-16;Oxygen-18;Tritium;Water;Xenon;Liquid Fuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;HTP;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        resourceGui = Liquid Ammonia;Liquid Argon;Liquid CarbonDioxide;Liquid CarbonMonoxide;Liquid Deuterium;Liquid Fluorine;FusionPellets;Liquid Helium-3;Liquid Helium-4;Hexaborane;Hydrazine;Liquid Hydrogen;Liquid Krypton;Liquid Neon;Liquid Methane;Liquid Nitrogen-14;Liquid Nitrogen-15;Liquid Oxygen-16;Liquid Oxygen-18;Liquid Tritium;Liquid Water;Liquid Xenon;Liquid Fuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;HTP;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        resourceNames = LqdAmmonia;LqdArgon;LqdCO2;LqdCO;LqdDeuterium;LqdFluorine;FusionPellets;LqdHe3;LqdHelium;Hexaborane;Hydrazine;LqdHydrogen;LqdKrypton;LqdNeon;LqdMethane;LqdNitrogen;LqdNitrogen15;LqdOxygen;LqdOxygen18;LqdTritium;LqdWater;LqdXenon;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;HTP;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        resourceAmounts = 60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000;60000
        tankCost = 0;0;0;0;0;60000;0;0;0;0;60000;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0
        basePartMass = 1.2

displayTankCost = true
        availableInFlight = true
        availableInEditor = true
        showInfo = true
        hasGUI = true
    }

And double cryogenic tank got updated.

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        moduleID = 0
        tankSwitchNames = Hydrogen;Deuterium;Tritium;Methane;Ammonia;Hydrazine;Nitrogen-14;Nitrogen-15;LiquidFuel;MonoPropellant;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        objectDisplayNames = Liquid Hydrogen;Liquid Deuterium;Liquid Tritium;Liquid Methane;Liquid Ammonia;Hydrazine;Liquid Nitrogen;Liquid Nitrogen-15;Liquid Fuel;MonoPropellant;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        objects = T1H;T2D;T3T;T12CH4;T14NH3;T14N2H4;T14N;T15N;T12CO2;T12CO;TH20;T19F;T3He;T4He;T16O;T18O;LF;MonoPropellant;Hydrates;B2H6;Kerosene
        searchTankId = Reducing
        fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12
        affectColliders = false
        //debugMode = true
    }

MODULE
    {
        tankId = Reducing
        resourceGui = Liquid Hydrogen;Liquid Deuterium;Liquid Tritium;Liquid Methane;Liquid Ammonia;Hydrazine;Liquid Nitrogen-14;Liquid Nitrogen-15;Liquid Fuel;MonoPropellant;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        resourceNames = LqdHydrogen;LqdDeuterium;LqdTritium;LqdMethane;LqdAmmonia;Hydrazine;LqdNitrogen;LqdNitrogen15;Liquid Fuel;MonoPropellant;Hydrates;Diborane;Kerosene
        resourceAmounts = 15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000
        tankCost = 0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0
        basePartMass = 0.3
        baseResourceMassDivider = 24
        displayTankCost = true
        hasGUI = true
        availableInFlight = true
        availableInEditor = true
        showInfo = true
        returnDryMass = true
    }

MODULE
    {
        moduleID = 1
        tankSwitchNames = Helium-3;Helium-4;Oxygen-16;Oxygen-18;CO2;CO;Water;Fluorine;Oxidizer;HTP
        objectDisplayNames = Liquid Helium-3;Liquid Helium;Liquid Oxygen;Liquid Oxygen-8;Liquid CarbonDioxide;Liquid CarbonMonoxide;Water;Liquid Fluorine;Oxidizer;HTP
        objects = 3He;4He;16O;18O;12CO2;12CO;H20;19F;1H;2D;3T;12CH4;14NH3;14N2H4;14N;15N;Ox;HTP
        searchTankId = Oxidizing
        fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9
        affectColliders = false
        //debugMode = true
    }

MODULE
    {
        tankId = Oxidizing
        resourceGui = Liquid Helium-3;Liquid Helium-4;Liquid Oxygen-16;Liquid Oxygen-18;Liquid CarbonDioxide;Liquid CarbonMonoxide;Water;Liquid Fluorine;Oxidizer;HTP
        resourceNames = LqdHe3;LqdHelium;LqdOxygen;LqdOxygen18;LqdCO2;LqdCO;Water;LqdFluorine;Oxidizer;HTP
        resourceAmounts = 15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000;15000
        tankCost = 0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0
        basePartMass = 0.6
        displayTankCost = true
        hasGUI = true
        availableInFlight = true
        availableInEditor = true
        showInfo = true
        returnDryMass = true
    }

Best fuels for engines (used 3.75m Antimatter Reactor as energy source):

Thermal Launch/Ramjet/Turbojet Nozzle, Plasma Nozzle - Kerosene - 4.5x Hydrogen thrust. Nitrogen and CO aren't far away.

ARCJET/ATILLA - Xenon - 10x Hydrogen thrust

MPD/VASMIR/Plasma Wakefield - Cesium - 11x/8x/11x Hydrogen thrust

CANDLE/Solid Core NE/Timberwind/Lightbulb - Kerosene - 4.5x Hydrogen thrust. CO and Nitrogen also offer similar thrust.

Edited by raxo2222

8 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

I have feature request for testing purposes: can you make infinite propellant cheat work with ISRU?

That is all extractors can extract all possible resources at certain minimum percentage (for example resource concentration set to 0.1% if its lower than that value), even if normally resources doesn't exist here.

And refineries could have all options enabled in refinery window even if there aren't valid resources here.

For example I could produce hydrazine even when I don't have required resources.

What I do is I have a part that creates all materials, fuel, energy, etc, with toggles.  I use a battery as the model, changed it's name added the proper sections in the config, and call it my Demon Battery.  Then you don't need the cheat options, and you can test things with it on,off or use it to re-fill tanks to you can test things.  Saves a lot of time testing designs and ship configurations, pus if you have other ships doing things the cheat won't affect them too.

12 hours ago, mrgreco said:

can this be posible to  have more then one generater atached and to join on the sides

or doing like this ?? it also looks good to :P  

Nope that won't work - one reactor can be connected only to one generator of same type. Radially connecting also won't work.

It seems there is bug with air intakes/gas compressor: I'm getting performance drops on other planets than Earth, if atmosphere is present.

Removing such parts improves performance on other planets.

Here is such craft:

http://www86.zippyshare.com/v/mipNGW0d/file.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I can routinely make craft with 100 km/s of DV and starting acceleration of 1 m/s2

How to make craft, that has 1000 km/s of DV and starting acceleration of 1 m/s2?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like vacuum plasma weights too much.

Nt3Fazp.jpg

Also EM drive actually needs 10x more of power, than its said on its tool tip due to 10% of propellant efficiency.

I created 10m radius spaceship, that uses cesium for propulsion.

I'm using Wakefield engine and Antimatter Initiated reactor.

Edited by raxo2222

It seems like there is performance drop when you dock 2 ships with reactors/generators on it.

I was having steady 30 FPS while controlling each of them, but after docking it suddenly dropped to 10 FPS,

BTW it was very kerbal reentry. (I was in simulation mode)

Also there is bug with wrapped microwave thermal receiver, that can act as radiator:

If you deploy them and leave, it will undeploy itself when you focus back on ship.

EM drive + QSR = epic ISP and >1 m/s2 acceleration with 2500 tons of mass. I have enough hydrogen to accelerate for 100 years.

Daedlius  engine comparing to EM drive doesn't need as much electricity, but it has much higher thrust and way lower ISP than EM Drive+QSR setup.

8KxFFgu.jpg

Edited by raxo2222

Version 1.12.23 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-04-17

• Added Unused thermal power for reactors is now turned into wasteheat
  • Added power injected for beamed power is now managed, meaning unused power will not generate wasteheat
  • Added Ability of Oversized Thermal Dish receiver to receive thermal power from the sun, and optionally convert it directly into electric power
  • Balance: Allow vista to be scaled to 2.5m with higher tech nodes unlocked
  • Fixed Refrigerator parts can now properly convert Gas into Liquid and the other way around
  • Fixed Thermal receivers that can also act as radiator to show correct visible deployment state

So I recovered my Duna exploration mission with all its 16,000 science and went to unlock new stuff. Basically, the fusion stuff and some electric engines (vasmir and the plasma nozzle). I've been trying to figure out how to use them - I'm looking at sending a 40T payload to Urlum and Neidom from the OPM mod and returning the transfer stage with the kerbals back to Kerbin. Obviously, I ended up with more doubts and assumptions which may be wrong. These are my conclusions, what do you guys think?

Magneto Inertial

Runs on lithium, doesn’t require power or charged particles. Actual isp and thrust in LKO don’t match VAB values (is it because listed values are for hydrogen instead of lithium?)

Plasma Nozzle

Needs a reactor with charged particles (has to be directly attached?). Chose the Tri-alpha due weight at 6 tons (does the ship benefit from using a heavier, more powerful reactor?). The reactor lowers it’s output significantly while the engine is running.

Vasmir

Requires up to 2MW of electric power, paired with pebble bed reactor and electric generator, can’t generate near enough trust to move such a heavy ship (plus the 40t payload). Only to be used within the reach of a wireless power network?

Vista

Requires 2MW of electric power, Tri-alpha can’t keep up (but may be used for shorter burns, using KSPI batteries to store megawatts and let the Tri-alpha trickle charge them while not burning). Paired with Peeble Bed and electric generator (14t). Only uses liquid Hydrogen, so boil off can be a problem in long duration missions. Different fusion modes, no idea about the difference between them

So, all in all, the Vista seems like the best candidate to replace the closed cycle gas core engine as my go-to engine for OPM exploration, but I'm worried about boiloff. Did the inline Interstellar tanks (X24, X48, etc) prevent boiloff for such long duration missions?

Also, regarding reactors, how do you use the Stellarator fusion reactor? I was trying to test an UV laser transmitter powered by it and the reactor kept loosing MW until it shut down

54 minutes ago, juanml82 said:

Plasma Nozzle

Needs a reactor with charged particles (has to be directly attached?). Chose the Tri-alpha due weight at 6 tons (does the ship benefit from using a heavier, more powerful reactor?). The reactor lowers it’s output significantly while the engine is running.

Vasmir

Requires up to 2MW of electric power, paired with pebble bed reactor and electric generator, can’t generate near enough trust to move such a heavy ship (plus the 40t payload). Only to be used within the reach of a wireless power network?

Vista

Requires 2MW of electric power, Tri-alpha can’t keep up (but may be used for shorter burns, using KSPI batteries to store megawatts and let the Tri-alpha trickle charge them while not burning). Paired with Peeble Bed and electric generator (14t). Only uses liquid Hydrogen, so boil off can be a problem in long duration missions. Different fusion modes, no idea about the difference between them

So, all in all, the Vista seems like the best candidate to replace the closed cycle gas core engine as my go-to engine for OPM exploration, but I'm worried about boiloff. Did the inline Interstellar tanks (X24, X48, etc) prevent boiloff for such long duration missions?

Also, regarding reactors, how do you use the Stellarator fusion reactor? I was trying to test an UV laser transmitter powered by it and the reactor kept loosing MW until it shut down

It sounds for almost all of these like your main problem is that you're using the default reactor sizes.  Tweakscale them up if you need more power.

The Tri-Alpha colliding beam reactor is meant to provide electric(megajoules) power.  It would put out less when you run the Plasma nozzle because the nozzle is sucking up all the charged particles.  I believe the nozzle does not need to be directly attached to the charged particle source but you may suffer a penalty if that's the case.  For running a plasma nozzle you really want to use something like the Antimatter-Initiated Microfusion reactor or the Antimatter reactor.  You could use the Fission Fragment reactor or one of the fusion reactors running one of the more advanced fuels as well, but you want a lot of charged particles and a high core temp.

The Vasimr can also be scaled up, but generally you're not going to see huge amounts of thrust to weight ratios out of it without using a beamed power network.  Something like, again, the antimatter reactor(with a very high power:weight ratio) could get you some usable thrust out of a Vasimr.

The Vista requires 2GW *if* you have all of the fusion upgrade research nodes unlocked.  That is, again, at the base size.  Your best bet there, again, is to use a high power:weight ratio reactor, ideally one that puts out a lot of charged particles so you can run a charged particle generator.  Not only are they more efficient at turning reactor power into MegaJoules, but you can run a much higher temp on your radiators without losing efficiency.  You need some fairly advanced reactors to get a high(1:1 or higher) TWR out of a Vista if you've got much of a payload to push(even if you don't, the engine and reactor/generators are heavy).  You also need to bring along more deuterium and tritium than the engine comes with.  As to boiloff I think you're okay as long as you keep the tanks powered but it probably depends on the specific cryogenic fuels you're putting in them.

I'm not sure why your Stellarator reactor shut down except maybe it didn't have enough fuel?  It doesn't come with much by default, you probably need an extra supply.