KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

20 minutes ago, Noel32 said:

He's probably using the old version due to the Realism Overhaul mod not being upgraded yet, and he needs that mod as he's using RSS.

Yes I understand but it will give the wrong picture of KSPI-E today, especially since he appears to use some custom RSS version of KSPI-E I'm totally not familiar with.

Got my power network up and running like a charm. There were some inconveniences, like having beam generator on every relay satelite (without it, "activate relay" button won't show up) but a little bit of engineering creativity solved it, It's not perfect, because I would have to build separate relays for every bandwidth I want to use, but I can live with that (I think I'm going to use just two of them).

However I'm having problem with radiators and I've no idea how to bypass it. Thing is that radiators just don't want to work in atmosphere.
It works fine when plane is standing on runway. Then it automaticly switches off at ~ 20m/s speed, and swiches on again when reaching ~38k altitude. It makes beam power planes (or even reactor/generator powered planes) impossible to operate due to wasteheat. There are no exceptions - even Inline Radiator Reactor Wheel, which should be designed and dedicated for planes, behave this way.
What is ineresting, when I manually click "turn on" during flight, radiator falls off the plane - it dosen't brake, just detaches together with all parts that are connected to it.
And now the best part :) After detaching, it behaves like in vaccum and gravity 0. No matter speed/altitude, it simply flies straight ahead.

Does it make sense to anyone? Any ideas how to make it work properly?

For the record, I'm still using 1.2.1, due to Near Future is not updated yet.

2 hours ago, falcoon said:

However I'm having problem with radiators and I've no idea how to bypass it. Thing is that radiators just don't want to work in atmosphere.
It works fine when plane is standing on runway. Then it automaticly switches off at ~ 20m/s speed, and swiches on again when reaching ~38k altitude. It makes beam power planes (or even reactor/generator powered planes) impossible to operate due to wasteheat. There are no exceptions - even Inline Radiator Reactor Wheel, which should be designed and dedicated for planes, behave this way.
What is ineresting, when I manually click "turn on" during flight, radiator falls off the plane - it dosen't brake, just detaches together with all parts that are connected to it.
And now the best part :) After detaching, it behaves like in vaccum and gravity 0. No matter speed/altitude, it simply flies straight ahead.

Damn I forgot about this bug.There is a configuration setting ( called atmosphereToleranceModifier) which tell the radiator it is air flow resistant.

To make a radiator function at super high speed add

proertyatmosphereToleranceModifier = 100000

It is more likely you burn up by air friction than your radiators will not work

3 hours ago, falcoon said:

Got my power network up and running like a charm. There were some inconveniences, like having beam generator on every relay satelite (without it, "activate relay" button won't show up) but a little bit of engineering creativity solved it, It's not perfect, because I would have to build separate relays for every bandwidth I want to use, but I can live with that (I think I'm going to use just two of them).

For the record, I'm still using 1.2.1, due to Near Future is not updated yet.

It is not explained how a relay should work, but basicly you need control, and 2 transceivers, one set to "link relay" pointed at the transition source and then the relay power button appears on the second transcever the relay will then work as one but not at 100% efficiency, on the subject of radiating power during flight why don't you try the new hybrid radiator wings, they are made for just that, space planes tho they do look ugly.

42 minutes ago, Charon Moloch said:

It is not explained how a relay should work, but basicly you need control, and 2 transceivers, one set to "link relay" pointed at the transition source and then the relay power button appears on the second transcever the relay will then work as one but not at 100% efficiency, on the subject of radiating power during flight why don't you try the new hybrid radiator wings, they are made for just that, space planes tho they do look ugly.

You can use relays that are marked as mirrors for 1 part relaying correct?

1 hour ago, Charon Moloch said:

Actually you don't really have to point at anything when set to link relay

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

To make a radiator function at super high speed add

proertyatmosphereToleranceModifier = 100000

It is more likely you burn up by air friction than your radiators will not work

Where exactly in cfg file I should place this line? in ModuleActiveRadiator section or StackFNRadiator section? (Inline Radiator Reation Wheel)
Could you also confirm the line is correct? I've got a hunch, but it's only a hunch, that there is one "p" missing :)

1 hour ago, Charon Moloch said:

I know the theory, every tutorial and guide (and I think I've read and watched all of them :) ) says what you just said, but for some reason in my gameplay rules are different. I've tried probably all possible configurations of arrays/dishes and there is only one conclusion - no generator on satelite = no realy button. Don't want to waste time and describe everything that i've learned because I'm not sure if anyone will be interested, but if you, or someone, is interested please notify me, I'll elaborate and describe everything in details.

Your hybrid radiator wings are great, can't wait to test them, but it comes with update for ver 1.2.2 which I can't use yet

18 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

You have to provide more data, could you make some screen dumps of your vessel (using antimatter engine) and tell me what mods you have installed

As promised, i'm back with your DATA ! 

This is the list of mods  (those that avc can check but normally they are no missing):

Spoiler

KSP: 1.2.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.3.1.1
Filter Extensions - 2.8.1.2
Toolbar - 1.7.13
USI Tools - 0.8.9
B9 Animation Modules - 1.0.5
B9 Part Switch - 1.5.3
B9 Aerospace HX Parts - 6.2.1
BD Animation Modules - 0.6.4.4
BetterTimeWarpContinued - 2.3.1
BurnTogether - 0.0.7.2
ChampagneBottleRedux - 0.3.5.1
Chatterer - 0.9.92.1622
Civilian Population Revamp - 0.0.5
Community Category Kit - 1.2.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.5
CommunityTechTree - 3.0.3
ConfigurableContainers - 2.4.0.2
Connected Living Space - 1.2.4.1
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.8.1
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.8
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.2
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.6
Firespitter - 7.5.1
Fuel Tanks Plus - 1.11
GroundConstruction - 1.0.0.1
HeatControl - 0.3.4
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.3.2
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.2
KerbalAtomics - 0.3.3
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.2.8
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.1
Graphotron - 0.4.2
HyperEdit - 1.5.3
Kerbol Starsystem - 0.4.5
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.4
kOS - 1.0.3
KramaxAutoPilotContinued - 0.3.2.2
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
Infernal Robots - 2.0.10
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.3
NearFutureConstruction - 0.7.2
NearFutureElectrical - 0.8.2
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.8.2
NearFutureSolar - 0.7.1
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.5.4
NSS-OctoSat - 0.1.3.1
OPT Legacy Spaceplane Parts - 1.0.3.5
PartCommanderContinued - 0.1.1.1
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.3.11
PlanetShine - 0.2.5.2
QuizTechAeroPackContinued - 1.3.6.1
Real Scale Boosters - 0.15
DeepFreeze Continued... - 0.23.2
IONRCS - 0.1.6
SCANsat - 1.1.6.11
SelectableDataTransmitter - 0.1.1
SpaceY Expanded - 1.3.1
SpaceY Lifters - 1.15.1
StationPartsExpansion - 0.4.2
Stock Visual Enhancements - 1.1.4
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.3.3
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.3
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6
TweakScale - 2.3.3
USI Core - 0.3.6
USI Exploration Pack - 0.7.1
Freight Transport Tech - 0.6.5
Karbonite - 0.8.5
Konstruction - 0.1.9
USI-LS - 0.5.16
Malemute Rover - 0.2.5
MKS - 0.50.11
NuclearRockets - 0.3.6
VesselMover - 1.5.1.2
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.11.19
OSE Workshop - 1.0.8

and the screenshots:

In VAB 

http://pasteboard.co/or5CQJQEn.png OOPS I FORGOT to stick reactor and generator (fixed in the next screenshot)

And in orbit :

http://pasteboard.co/orcSIKtfk.png

6 hours ago, falcoon said:

Where exactly in cfg file I should place this line? in ModuleActiveRadiator section or StackFNRadiator section? (Inline Radiator Reation Wheel)
Could you also confirm the line is correct? I've got a hunch, but it's only a hunch, that there is one "p" missing :)

You need to put "atmosphereToleranceModifier" in either MicrowavePowerReceiver, MicrowavePowerReceiverDish or MicrowavePowerTransmitter

Two questions:

A: Is there a complete changelog anywhere? I've been looking back through FreeThinker's posts on the dev thread, but it's quite slow trying to read through all the other posts. :)

B: (related to the above) Does the molten salt reactor still have an integrated thermal generator, possibly hidden behind an upgrade somewhere? I'm not seeing it, but I haven't filled out my tech tree yet.

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

You need to put "atmosphereToleranceModifier" in either MicrowavePowerReceiver, MicrowavePowerReceiverDish or MicrowavePowerTransmitter

Wait, I don't understand something. You are talking abuout microwave parts? But I want to make radiators work. Mostly Inline Radiator Reation Wheel and Graphite Radiator Skin Warpper, because they are easy to use with planes.
I would really appreciate if you could explain it one more time, like you were talking to a 5-year old child, which .cfg file should I edit and where exactly to put that line.

13 hours ago, Charon Moloch said:

@falcoon sure, tell us the details, can you screen shot the crafts? what frequency's are you using? does the relays 0/0 increment after activating one?

Here it goes. Sorry for low res of screenshots. I'm currently moving to another flat and i'm forced to use my old pc for the next month.

At first I wanted to go for near infrared (11% absorbtion) only for atmospheric use (Kerbin take offs) and extreme UV for all the rest, but during testing I changed my mind, will explain in a moment why, and final decision was to use near infrared for whole Kerbin SOI, and the extreme UV for the rest.

Power station is orbiting Kerbin.
PzxmSur.png

Final relay satelite looks like this:
d8z8C3J.png
cuaq1PR.png
I placed solar panels just in case. Panels colud be smaller, but the visual effect is nicer this way. RCS is only for fine tuning orbital period.
4 of them are orbiting Kerbin (3 in triangle and 1 at stationary orbit above KSC) and 3 are orbiting Minmus.
Charon Moloch, as you can see, relay's looks "dead" even when active, there is only an "transmitter: relay active" info. To check if it works I have to fly another craft with receiver, but the calculation of all relays in range is correct - it's 0/7, not 0/0.

Now, what i've learned:
- As mentioned before, beam generator on realy is "must have". Here I'm using only Free Electron, but Gyrotron and Diode behave the same way.
- Dishes have to be compatible with bandwidth they are expected to transmit/link/relay. Ex. Phased Array Transciever won't transmit nor relay UV beam.
- Bandwidth setting on the transmiter dish (on power station) dosen't matter. Only setting on beam generator (on power station) does.
- Dishes must be connected directly to generator.
- Dish set to "link receiver" must be tuned on the same bandwidth as the generator on the power station.
- Realy satelites are able to convert bandwidth. If you'll set different bandwidth on the relay-generator, than it's set on powerstation-generator, signal that leaves relay satelite will have bandwidth set on relay-generator.
- Placing multiple generators on single satelile doesn't work.
- Connecting multiple (more than 2) dishes to one generator also doesn't work.
- I don't know if power station works fine with more than one generator. I didn't think this through and lanuched it only with one, but in future i plan to dock another generator to it and chceck.
- Sport size is re-calculated when signal is leaving satelite. New spot size depends on diameter of dish set to "relay". That's why dishes on my relays are so big, and that's why i decided that near infrared will be more than enough for the whole Kerbin SOI. You can see how spot size description changes on screens below. First screen is test probe orbiting Kerbin. The other 3 is another probe orbitinng Minmus shooted in small intervals as it moves around the orbit.

lXq8Zym.png

Position 1: Kerbin in shght, power station also in sight.
ik6S8pi.png

Position 2: Kerbin hidden behind Minmus, power station hidden behind Kerbin
QdkeRS2.png

Position 3: Kerbin in sight, power station hidden behind Kerbin.
gjUfqq0.png

Hope it will be useful to someone :wink:

3 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

A: Is there a complete changelog anywhere? I've been looking back through FreeThinker's posts on the dev thread, but it's quite slow trying to read through all the other posts. :)

Yes but only of the last 8 months because Kerbalstuff was taken down .It can be found on the change log at http://spacedock.info/mod/172/KSP Interstellar Extended

3 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

B: (related to the above) Does the molten salt reactor still have an integrated thermal generator, possibly hidden behind an upgrade somewhere? I'm not seeing it, but I haven't filled out my tech tree yet.

Nope, it is restored again to it original concept, and used it original model again.

Edited by FreeThinker

12 minutes ago, falcoon said:

Wait, I don't understand something. You are talking about microwave parts?

Sorry, I confused it with something else.  Currently you can only counter radiators turning of at high speed it by enabling the unbreakable joint cheat. I will fix it ASAP.

56 minutes ago, Shkeiru said:

Hey FreeThinker, I don't know if you saw it but i posted the data about my issue.  

There must some mod causing your problem but I have no idea whuch one. There I suggest you do the following. Create a copy of your current KSP installation, delete your old KSP insrallation, create a fresh install of KSP and install Interstellar. Perform the same test with a warp vessel and it should work. Now start adding other mods and verify warp still function. After it no longer functions we have found the mod that is responsible for your warp problem 

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Nope, it is restored again to it original concept, and used it original model again.

Darn - I liked the compact power generation. Maybe you could bring it back as a separate part or upgrade? I -do- like the original model though. ^_^

With that said though, your table of reactors still has that as a feature of the molten salt reactor - "Integrated thermla generator"

4 hours ago, etmoonshade said:

Darn - I liked the compact power generation. Maybe you could bring it back as a separate part or upgrade? I -do- like the original model though. ^_^

With that said though, your table of reactors still has that as a feature of the molten salt reactor - "Integrated thermla generator"

Well if you realy want that, you could  download and install USI Core reactors, KSPI-E will convert them to KSPI molten salt reactor with integrated thermal generator

Edited by FreeThinker

On 20-1-2017 at 1:23 PM, falcoon said:

Exactly what radiators were you using when this happened?

1 hour ago, dlrk said:

Freethinker,

Did you catch my question about Beamed Power coming very early in the tech tree?

Sorry for not answering directly.

Yes, Beamed power, including microwave beamed power is now available much earlier. Originally there were only 4 type of beamed power parts, now there are more than 4 times as many part related to beamed power.

The Microwave Power tech-node name is a relic of the past, it now unlockes the most advanced beamed power parts and makes existing beamed power part more efficient.

The parts unlock initially are only effective at short range, with more advanced tech nodes unlocked, the effective range and efficiency gradually is improved.

To prevent future confusion I wlil try to rename the tech-node it to something more appropriate.

Edited by FreeThinker

Hey , i finally understood what' the problem was : "If it doesn't warp, add more warp drive" (1 Heavy was too weak for the vessel ... 4 *10 meters ring was better)

EDIT : So i have a question: can we modify the exotic matter to mass ratio required for warp or is it fixed ?

Edited by Shkeiru