KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

4 hours ago, ss8913 said:

there's issues opened already... @Mine_Turtle has looked into it a bit and says the fix isn't easy... hoping there's something I can do to help.

I have isolated the problem down to ResourceManager, you can read the details on the github issue. To put it short: RM tells the reactor to provide power to the engine, that is not connected to the reactor. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the code base enough not to break something else with my fix. So, I am hoping @FreeThinker can provide some guidance on the matter.

Electrical engines do not require direct connection to the reactor, so the should not exhibit such behavior. @ss8913, Could you, please, test other engines that require thermal or particle energy? Including engines with built in reactor like closed cycle.

@Maelstrom Vortex

Could you reproduce my vessel and test it in orbit(show output from KSPI tab)? I do not have problems with QSR on my setup.

Vessel:

https://imgur.com/JJVNi2Y

In orbit:

https://imgur.com/Fu4nqzn

Yeah, I can do that.  I did some more testing just now and found that the problem is with the number of *active reactors* ... ie if I have 2 reactors and any number of engines of any kind, it overheats... one reactor powering multiple engines doesn't have the problem.  But, from what you posted, @Mine_Turtle , I think you've already deduced that.  I'll try it with the closed cycle, although I believe I had a craft last week with multiple counts of those, and I recall it completing its mission, so I don't think those are affected; but I will test again to verify.

17 hours ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/204311263

Here's what I'm experiencing in full detail. Time starts at 6 minutes at construction, testing lasts til about 1 hour when I give up. Beginning to suspect an interaction with a mod that changes how the right click menu is displayed, but which one I would have no idea. The start button works in 1.3.0 The charge field is even clearly visible, but is not populated.

@FreeThinker Should I still be manually removing the USF/NF patch or should I use that with patch manager and would removing that patch cause this behavior? Because that's the only manual modification I make to the warp plugin install.

No offence, but... are you blind? :)

I watched only 2 or 3 min of your video, and the startup button poped up 4 times. It is exactly where it should be, you only need to push it!

You keep using activate/deactivate in reactor control window. I told you not to do that! Just press this button!

AvDn5kk.png

I apparently am. Wow, I can't believe I kept missing it. I knew it was supposed to be there. It was like 5 am when I was trying it. Oh well, write this one up to PEBKAC. I did get it working last night after I found the button present after a reinstall. I also realized I wasn't looking at the charging as much as I should have or I would have realized that it was absorbing power to start up, not just dieing on itself. That's what sleep dep does for you. I was on a 24 hour stream at the time.

Remind me not to try flying complex space craft on no sleep.

I did finally figure it out last evening after a reinstall of warp-plugin and got the emitter array and even the warp engine to work so I'm back to all cylinders. Very embarrassed right now :blush:. It's funny how lack of sleep can totally circumvent your ability to recognize the obvious. Still kicking myself for being so absolutely oblivious. I was awake, but apparently the brain was not at the keyboard.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

17 hours ago, Mine_Turtle said:

I have isolated the problem down to ResourceManager, you can read the details on the github issue. To put it short: RM tells the reactor to provide power to the engine, that is not connected to the reactor. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the code base enough not to break something else with my fix. So, I am hoping @FreeThinker can provide some guidance on the matter.

Electrical engines do not require direct connection to the reactor, so the should not exhibit such behavior. @ss8913, Could you, please, test other engines that require thermal or particle energy? Including engines with built in reactor like closed cycle.

@Maelstrom Vortex

Could you reproduce my vessel and test it in orbit(show output from KSPI tab)? I do not have problems with QSR on my setup.

Vessel:

https://imgur.com/JJVNi2Y

In orbit:

https://imgur.com/Fu4nqzn

Thanks Turtle, the issue has been figured out. I somehow.. and I'm still trying to parse this.. overlooked the button's presence repeatedly. Even though I knew it should be there. Currently I'm writing it off to sleep dep as Kerbals was the last thing I was running at the end of a 24 hour stream. I thought, "I'll do the best thing I do at the end of the day because I can do it in my sleep." I underestimated the power of lack of sleep. I managed to get my power station up to warp 6 on the QSR and so it'll be on its way to eve tonight. The button was literally staring at me and it was like my eyes saw everything  EXCEPT the startup button.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

OK, @Mine_Turtle, @FreeThinker , I did an overheat test on the closed cycle engines (the gas core ones with the integrated reactor/generator).. they do not seem to have the problem that I've been having with the thermal engines connected to the antimatter reactors.

Test procedure:

1. Create rocket, 3.75m, with a single engine, 4 0.625m scaled medium winged edge radiators, and four launch clamps to hold it in place
2. Fire engines at full throttle, watch wasteheat - spikes at first then cools, holds steady at a value of 141
3. Modify rocket to have 4 such engines, same exact cooling setup.
4. Fire engines at full throttle, watch wasteheat - same behavior, settles at a slightly higher value, about 1200-1500, but stays stable and does not overheat.

On 27/11/2017 at 6:57 PM, Nansuchao said:

Be sure to check that the fuel you have in the tank is the same that the engine request, case when it's just unlocked, many engines can use just few propellants.

To share a pics, just upload it on Imgur and copy/paste the link here.

https://imgur.com/3vRFciW

Here i am. What is missing ? Fuel seems ok, KE shows some d-v.

37 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

Wait a sec. Are you trying to use it as a first stage? It will not work in atmosphere...

I'm just trying to get it to work at the launch pad ! Of course I don't plan to use it first stage. I already tried to use it in vacuum, for no result.
And it is supposed to work in atmosphere, according to the mod's video tutorial.

3 hours ago, Tryphon said:

I'm just trying to get it to work at the launch pad ! Of course I don't plan to use it first stage. I already tried to use it in vacuum, for no result.
And it is supposed to work in atmosphere, according to the mod's video tutorial.

Nothing is wrong with your ship, it should work, unless... there is no one to fly it. Do you have kerbal on board? :)

@Mine_Turtle and @FreeThinker - further update on the overheat thing;  If there are two reactors on board and only one of them is driving an engine, the overheat still happens.  If I disable the second reactor (ie, it's on a different stage/etc), then heat is normal, but if both are on, even if there's only one engine connected to one reactor, the wasteheat goes through the roof... I've also noticed that my frame rates are inversely proportional to the actual number of engines.  If I add some ATTILA vtol thrusters to a craft which otherwise gets good frame rates, the frames tank even when I'm not using these engines (and I only added 4 parts to the craft to do this).  Not sure if the issues are related or not (probably not), but thought I'd bring it up.

Sorry to bother again with my issues... but nothing in the mod seems to work at all for me.

As i said previously, the solid core doesn't generate any thrust or consume any fuel. Neither do the candle reactor engine or closed cycle gas core.
Direct cycle nuclear turbojet doesn't work either, and often disappears of the available parts in vab.
For obvious reason, I didn't try anything deeper, more complex right now, when i can't fit in the very basics.

What is happening ? I tried on two different computers, with brand new blank game installs. Game version is up to date, 1.3.1. Apart from the listed required mods (twekscale and heat control), i only use kopernicus (last version), extrasolar, mechjeb, CTT and KER.

Any idea, anyone ? My guess would be, this mod actually needs other mods, i haven't installed yet.

Edited by Tryphon

So I had an engineer on EVA near one of my early generation Solid Core Thrusters, when I noticed the option to "swap fuel" in the right click menu for the engine. I clicked it, and now I have both Enriched Uranium and Plutonium-238 listed as a fuel.

My question is what happened, and does it matter? Where did the Plutonium come from? Did the reactor breed it? Is this a glitch? Does the engine run better with Plutonium?

I went back and searched through the wiki's and found nothing about the matter at all.

Oh, and if I click that option in the VAB I get continuously scrolling spam of the "Swap Fuels" button.

Version 1.16.1 on KSP 1.3.1 and Win10.

Hey there, fellow Kerbonauts. 

I might be asking in the wrong place, but I am out of ideas so... yeah...

Is it intentional that the Tech Tree this mod enacts is filled with Cogwheel nodes that are just plain empty? At first I assumed they were just fillers to make you use more science to get to other nodes, but there are even some such nodes in dead-end branches so I am having doubts about that theory of mine. 

Perhaps a mod conflict is causing it?

1 hour ago, Nazamroth said:

Hey there, fellow Kerbonauts. 

I might be asking in the wrong place, but I am out of ideas so... yeah...

Is it intentional that the Tech Tree this mod enacts is filled with Cogwheel nodes that are just plain empty? At first I assumed they were just fillers to make you use more science to get to other nodes, but there are even some such nodes in dead-end branches so I am having doubts about that theory of mine. 

Perhaps a mod conflict is causing it?

CTT is a standard Tech Tree
to have all nodes full you need to install lots of mods

Ah. It must have gotten installed as part of one of my mods while I wasn't looking. I was afraid that I would miss parts or break the game if I proceeded like this, but it is alright, it seems. 

Thanks

I would quote that Manliest of men and say "Fly safe" as a goodbye, but a Sr. Spacecraft Engineer probably does not fly that much anymore.

Sooo.... May the Kraken spare you, i guess?

7 minutes ago, Nazamroth said:

Ah. It must have gotten installed as part of one of my mods while I wasn't looking. I was afraid that I would miss parts or break the game if I proceeded like this, but it is alright, it seems. 

Thanks

I would quote that Manliest of men and say "Fly safe" as a goodbye, but a Sr. Spacecraft Engineer probably does not fly that much anymore.

Sooo.... May the Kraken spare you, i guess?

CTT is part of many mods including KSPI

ther is a mod that can hide empty nodes called hide empty nodes :)

22 hours ago, Tryphon said:

What is happening ? I tried on two different computers, with brand new blank game installs. Game version is up to date, 1.3.1. Apart from the listed required mods (twekscale and heat control), i only use kopernicus (last version), extrasolar, mechjeb, CTT and KER.

Any idea, anyone ? My guess would be, this mod actually needs other mods, i haven't installed yet.

Community Resource Pack is what you are missing. For easy mod installations, try using CKAN, it shows list of all dependent mods.

13 hours ago, Mandella said:

So I had an engineer on EVA near one of my early generation Solid Core Thrusters, when I noticed the option to "swap fuel" in the right click menu for the engine. I clicked it, and now I have both Enriched Uranium and Plutonium-238 listed as a fuel.

My question is what happened, and does it matter? Where did the Plutonium come from? Did the reactor breed it? Is this a glitch? Does the engine run better with Plutonium?

I went back and searched through the wiki's and found nothing about the matter at all.

Oh, and if I click that option in the VAB I get continuously scrolling spam of the "Swap Fuels" button.

Version 1.16.1 on KSP 1.3.1 and Win10.

Sounds like a glitch. One of many, unfortunatelly

4 hours ago, falcoon said:

Community Resource Pack is what you are missing. For easy mod installations, try using CKAN, it shows list of all dependent mods.

OK, you just saved my life !
That's it. From now on, i'll use ckan whenever possible. Thank you !

Edited by Tryphon

On 11/5/2017 at 1:52 PM, falcoon said:

I've been flying a lot with warp drive lately and I noticed the same issue as @CaptainKorhonen and @Nansuchao. There is simple workaround for it - time warp kills all rotation, so before activating warp drive, change game speed to x5.

Also there are 2 more issues. Both happen when ship changes SOI during warp travel.
1. Inclination likes to flip by 180 deg. To say it straight, if i'm are going form west to east before the jump, on exit im flying from east to west. It happens very often.
2. Speed relative to the sun is copied as the speed relative to the planet when exting warp. It puts a vessel on excape trajectory from Kerbol SOI. Not so often as nr 1, but still common.

Forgive me if this has been clarified with this, but I didn't seem to find any solution to it.  I've also activated SAS, tried turning on/off RCS as well, selecting hold current trajectory instead of selecting target on the navball.  For me it seems to get really unstable around 32.00c.  I usually activate warp when i'm outside of eeloo's orbit too.  Also seems that the parts of the ship are jumping around, some of the rcs nozzles sliding off of the ship too.  If I save, then reload it goes back to its normal position, but I've had a fuel tank slide off of the back of the ship, then explosion..

So.. I don't want the issue with the multiple antimatter generators' heat production to die here... @Mine_Turtle I looked through the part configs, I don't see anything in there that governs the heat production of the reactor.. is this something I'd need to grab the source and do a recompile for?  I'm thinking that the simplest short-term solution, given that I don't fully understand why having > 1 of these things is causing such a huge issue, is to just reduce the antimatter reactors' heat generation overall.. kind of a cheat, I know, but I'm super stuck until this bug is fixed :(