KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

For some reason Contract Window Plus and Capcom throw a NRE and don't work properly with KSPI installed.  I get this error when the utility plugin running both of them tries to load contracts when reloading a save:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Contains (Int32 classID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModuleList.Contains (System.String className) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.parameterContainer.getPartTitlesFromModules (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 names) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.parameterContainer.setCustomNotes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.parameterContainer..ctor (ContractParser.contractContainer Root, Contracts.ContractParameter cP, Int32 Level) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.contractContainer.addContractParam (Contracts.ContractParameter param, Int32 Level) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.contractContainer..ctor (Contracts.Contract c) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.contractParser+<loadContracts>d__0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

6 minutes ago, Thorbane said:

For some reason Contract Window Plus and Capcom throw a NRE and don't work properly with KSPI installed.  I get this error when the utility plugin running both of them tries to load contracts when reloading a save:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at PartModuleList.Contains (Int32 classID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartModuleList.Contains (System.String className) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.parameterContainer.getPartTitlesFromModules (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 names) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.parameterContainer.setCustomNotes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.parameterContainer..ctor (ContractParser.contractContainer Root, Contracts.ContractParameter cP, Int32 Level) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.contractContainer.addContractParam (Contracts.ContractParameter param, Int32 Level) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.contractContainer..ctor (Contracts.Contract c) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ContractParser.contractParser+<loadContracts>d__0.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

While I never got a crash I had a lot of stability issues that were solved by dumping the contract-related mods.  I dumped a few at once so I'm not sure if it was Contract Window Plus that was the culprit.  The crashes were always a write to an improper memory location, the lower order digits were always zeroes.  Since it was in the Unity engine that it blew there never was a trace like this but I got suspicious when I saw a bunch of exceptions thrown during loading so I removed them and there have been basically zero crashes since.

The crashes were always on scene changes.

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.12.16 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-03-29

• Fixed loss of energy transfer in Radiators in NearFuture-mode

Hi @FreeThinker I just want to confirm that this is now working correctly for the 2 craft I previously provided, thank you for the fix!

Is there any engine/reactor combination, that will allow to descend into Jupiter atmosphere and get back?

What about other gas giants?

Getting to low Jupiter orbit is easy.

For reentering you will need good heatshield.

Even you can send probe, that uses air to propel itself, so it can fly inside Jupiter atmosphere.

But what about leaving atmosphere and getting back to orbit?

Acceleration is around 2 - 3 g and you'll need like 30 000 m/s of DV to get back to orbit for Jupiter, before you can use low thrust highly efficient engines.

9 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Is there any engine/reactor combination, that will allow to descend into Jupiter atmosphere and get back?

Even you can send probe, that uses air to propel itself, so it can fly inside Jupiter atmosphere.

Acceleration is around 2 - 3 g and you'll need like 30 000 m/s of DV to get back to orbit for Jupiter, before you can use low thrust highly efficient engines.

Related--is a beamed power design possible?

35 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Yes, this is one of the main reason why Uranus and Neptune are likely to be more profitable for H3 mining then Jupiter, the delta V cost are insane. It possible , but you going to need at least 1000s isp at a high thrust level. For Kspi only low tech solution would be the close cycle gas core engine (aka Nuclear Lightbump) or AIM + Ramjet fusion as high tech alternative

25 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Related--is a beamed power design possible?

Actually yes, the trick is to put a beam power station into orbit  and use it  to power an electric engine or use it laser power for direct propulsion

Edited by FreeThinker

56 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Actually yes, the trick is to put a beam power station into orbit  and use it  to power an electric engine or use it laser power for direct propulsion

What's the range like?  Can I put it on a moon?  (Obviously, with relays so it's never below the horizon.)

for some reason, when I run this mod, If I have radiators on the ship, the as soon as the ship loads on the launch pad. when I retract them, the retract, but extend right after they are done retracting. this has happend every time. Is this just happening to me?

16 minutes ago, UNSCspartan said:

for some reason, when I run this mod, If I have radiators on the ship, the as soon as the ship loads on the launch pad. when I retract them, the retract, but extend right after they are done retracting. this has happend every time. Is this just happening to me?

They're setted to automaticly deploy. If your rocket has a low TWR, they'll close without issues as soon as you go over 20 m/s (more or less) and they'll deploy again once in vacuum. If you want to manually activate them, you need to deactivate the auto deploy in the right click menu of the radiators.

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, this is one of the main reason why Uranus and Neptune are likely to be more profitable for H3 mining then Jupiter, the delta V cost are insane. It possible , but you going to need at least 1000s isp at a high thrust level. For Kspi only low tech solution would be the close cycle gas core engine (aka Nuclear Lightbump) or AIM + Ramjet fusion as high tech alternative

Semirelated question: How fast you can go in atmosphere, while being supported by lift force before you have to get out of atmosphere due to heating?

By being supported by lift I meant lift counteracts at least 50% of gravity pulling you down.

Is rocket or spaceplane better for jumping into Jupiters atmosphere and getting back?

Edited by raxo2222

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Why are you mining He-3 on gas giants? Why not on Mercury or Luna?

On the other note, hydrogen deuteride (which, according to Children of a Dead Earth, is a better solid core NTR fuel) has much more concentration on Neptune than Uranus and Jupiter. Methane, in the other hand, is more abundant on Uranus than on other gas giant planets.

So, been browsing for a while trying to find some clarification on a couple things regarding microwave power transmission. The microwave transducer can be set to various bandwidths, how does this effect the reciever? Do I need to set up recievers appropriately in regards to the microwave bandwidth being transmitted? Also the circular rectenna, it's description states that it can function on specific bandwidths that need to be configured in the VAB. How does one go about configuring that in the VAB? Sorry if I missed this information stated obviously somewhere. I have set up a microwave transducer base station at KSC for testing purposes, and have attached a circular rectenna to the bottom of a power hungry quad copter and for the LIFE OF ME cannot get it to recieve power from the transducer, even though it says 1/1 sat.s connected.

Edited by stealthhazard

1 hour ago, raxo2222 said:

Semirelated question: How fast you can go in atmosphere, while being supported by lift force before you have to get out of atmosphere due to heating?

By being supported by lift I meant lift counteracts at least 50% of gravity pulling you down.

Is rocket or spaceplane better for jumping into Jupiters atmosphere and getting back?

In theory a winged vehicle would be better in order to jump in and out of the atmosphere. The big problem is to loose enough speed to enter the atmosphere safely.

17 hours ago, stealthhazard said:

So, been browsing for a while trying to find some clarification on a couple things regarding microwave power transmission. The microwave transducer can be set to various bandwidths, how does this effect the reciever? Do I need to set up recievers appropriately in regards to the microwave bandwidth being transmitted? Also the circular rectenna, it's description states that it can function on specific bandwidths that need to be configured in the VAB. How does one go about configuring that in the VAB? Sorry if I missed this information stated obviously somewhere. I have set up a microwave transducer base station at KSC for testing purposes, and have attached a circular rectenna to the bottom of a power hungry quad copter and for the LIFE OF ME cannot get it to recieve power from the transducer, even though it says 1/1 sat.s connected.

Post a picture of your ship and transmitter and i might be able to help. 

48 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

There is bug in solar wind collector tooltip:

Numbers doesn't change when resizing collector.

Indeed a tweakscale exponent config appears to be missing

TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS
{	
	name = SolarWindCollector
	surfaceArea = 2
	mwRequirements = 2
}

It will be added next release

This mod is extremely resourceful - added every radioactive/cargo/gas/cryogenic tank setup is added here.

Only resources not present in "craft" are antimatter, quantum vacuum plasma (used by EM drive, can be it massless BTW?), exotic matter (used by warp drive) and stock resources - monopropellant, oxidizer and liquid fuel.

Kerbal Enginer barely fits with resource list and advanced resource cant fit itself.

There is bug with liquid argon - it instantly depletes itself even though its getting energy.

All tanks are 1.25m sized

Heres argon tank itself.

Edited by raxo2222

16 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

There is bug with liquid argon - it instantly deleptes itself even though its getting energy.

I found the bug, I had accidentally added a static boil-off rate. It will be fixed next release

I'm having some issues with the megajoule power network not recognizing energy demands from the regular DC network, which results in the reactor sitting idle, while my vessel runs out of EC. I already tried adding a capacitor bank, but that sometimes fails to work. Any other methods to ensure power supply?