KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

I build bigS powerplant.

400 GW of power emitted.

Probably it would work better on Moon :P

Small AIM reactor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big one would need a lot of big antimatter collectors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We need bigger antimatter factory.
Also it seems like you need fusion reactor to easily produce antimatter for antimatter initiated reactor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Causally producing 5 TW beam here. (radius of energy producing parts: 30 meters)

This compares to 17 TW of power, that whole humanity uses.

zqwv4Az.jpg

Even 1000 tons of reactor lasts only 3 years - using 1.5 ton of fuel per day!

That is 17 g of matter being used per second.

Edited by raxo2222

11 hours ago, juanml82 said:

Suggestion: Given its complexity, I think this mod would benefit greatly from including a few example ships included. That way, new players would get an idea of how things are supposed to go to work well together.

I think a proper documentation would help a lot more. Some things can be found on the wiki and some even hold true from old versions, like how rectors generators and engines work.

But many others like the ISRU bits, atmospheric scooping, cryostats (seriously what do the sliders do on the cryostats in the VAB/SPH) and drill mining/reprocessing are almost completely missing. Those are the biggest question marks for me at least.

On 4/7/2017 at 1:48 AM, mrgreco said:

i understand what you are tryin to say,but im tryin to limit the size and amount of parts, what i would love to see is a small rad or thermal handle 1000 GW of heat

I think it has a lot to do with the 10% core heat transfer rate, not sure why that's there but it is.  So you need 10x the amount of radiator if you use the amount of heat radiated number.  So a rad that states 200kW of radiating ability will only move 20kW of core heat.

On 8-4-2017 at 1:37 AM, juanml82 said:

Suggestion: Given its complexity, I think this mod would benefit greatly from including a few example ships included. That way, new players would get an idea of how things are supposed to go to work well together.

Well if you send me shipfiles using only KSPI + stock KSP parts, I consider adding them

Version 1.12.20 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-04-09

• Added display of all power suppliers in Power Manager views
  • Added Reduced Power Manager font size
  • Added Automated Reactor back throttling when overheating, which prevents reactors from unexpected shutdowns
  • Balance Solar Cells no longer produce double power

For anyone wondering, this is how the new Power management views look like

IhKJpzd.png

Edit: can you spot the bug?

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, raxo2222 said:

Looks like using lithium as tritium source in pure tritium mode fusion can last for millennia:

Yes although it produces a lot less power than D-T fusion, it makes an excellent auxiliary fusion fuel which you ran use after you ran out of deuterium.

Edited by FreeThinker

22 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well if you send me shipfiles using only KSPI + stock KSP parts, I consider adding them

Actually, I wanted example crafts to learn from. For instance, yesterday I've tried a Rapier+Attila SSTO (kind of like the Rapier+Nerv SSTOs) but since I downsized the gas tanks to 1.25 to reduce drag, I ended up with some 600dV for the Attila engine. I guess using a microwave generator by the KSC plus one of the thermal something engines would make it easier, but notice the "thermal something engines" part :P

Also, it would be cool if there was some sort of KER or at least a spreadsheet to calculate TWR (inputting a certain electric power) and dV (choosing the fuel) while building. KER and MJ readouts simply can't properly calculate stuff like the Attila. And regarding the non electric engines, while they do calculate it, if you're using several tanks and engines, you need to switch fuel in all parts to see the figures.

So, for instance, I finally made a visible light power network at Kerbin. Now, if I want to make a 12 passengers capable training SSTO which uses the available 1.73MW for electric engines to take newly recruited kerbonauts through a tour around Kerbin for training and lands in either Minmus or the Mun, I need to hyperedit the ship to the Mun to check actual dV and TWR

Edited by juanml82

Here is list of resources by price per ton:

Spoiler

4zko7a8.png

Antimatter is ultra expensive - one gram of it costs 100 000 kerbucks.

Even He3 is way cheaper costing only 0.89 kerbucks per gram.

also why Lithium 7 Hydrate is orders of magnitude cheaper than Lithium 7 or Hydrogen?

Edited by raxo2222

43 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Hide contents

Antimatter is ultra expensive - one gram of it costs 100 000 kerbucks.

Even He3 is way cheaper costing only 0.89 kerbucks per gram.

also why Lithium 7 Hydrate is orders of magnitude cheaper than Lithium 7 or Hydrogen?

I wonder if we could fund our late-game efforts by means of antimatter collectors and returning it to KSP?

I found a problem where an unfortunately broad patch in the mod UnmannedBeforeMannedChallenge was causing the Alcubierre Drive to appear way too early in the tech tree.  Here is a patch that puts it back where it belongs:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[AlcubierreDrive]]:AFTER[ZZZZUNMANNEDBEFOREMANNEDCHALLENGE]
{
	@TechRequired = ultraHighEnergyPhysics
}

Edited by Rehpic

I build AIM + plasma engine bird, that can go both below 100 m/s or can go over 6 mach.

It has yearly supply of antimatter and fusion pellets.

Is kind of atmospheric plane, as it uses nitrogen from air to propel itself and no internal tanks to boost itself to orbit.

I guess I should use VASMIR/Atilla/MPD here.

4LHnNXj.jpg

I believe I can fly high ;^)

Really need high ISP/efficiency engines here.

It seems like this electrical engine is better than plasma engine. All you need is electricity - it could work with microwave beam.

Edited by raxo2222

Version 1.12.22 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-04-11

• Added reduced text size of ISRU and Reactor window
  • Balance: Increased amount of lithium6 in MCF and Stellarator
  • Balance: Reduced Mass Stellarator from 32t to 28t
  • Fixed Beamed Power Receiver functionality
  • Fixed display bug in Power Management

This mod really needs to stop micromanaging its updates so frequently. There's a new one nearly every week, now it's 1-2 days apart. Why? The changelog on spacedock is getting ridiculous, the posting dates are indicative of a possible obsessive, attention seeking behavior. You are aware of this, aren't you?

Pull back and accumulate the updates over time and release every 2-3 months instead. You don't need to have it out there, it's really annoying

28 minutes ago, W1ntermute said:

This mod really needs to stop micromanaging its updates so frequently. There's a new one nearly every week, now it's 1-2 days apart. Why? The changelog on spacedock is getting ridiculous, the posting dates are indicative of a possible obsessive, attention seeking behavior. You are aware of this, aren't you?

Pull back and accumulate the updates over time and release every 2-3 months instead. You don't need to have it out there, it's really annoying

Are you seriously complaining about the fact that @FreeThinker is working on fixing and improving his work? A lot of people (including me) consider that quite rude. You are aware of this, aren't you?

Edited by TheRagingIrishman