KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

Just now, danielboro said:

thats not a fusen drive

its a fission drive the lightbulb- Closed Cycle Gas Core Engine

Then the second question--did you dock with something recently? I encountered a problem where whenever I connected two ships, they'd both lose power. FreeThinker told me that was a known issue and I needed to save and reload after docking. If you haven't docked with another ship recently, I'll shut up and let the experts help you. Lol

3 minutes ago, danielboro said:

no.
this is a lunch
not yet circulised to orbit
losing power and MJ will not stop a Closed Cycle Gas Core from making trust and EC and MJ
it dos not need any of them to work

If you say so. I've never used those, it just makes sense to ME that in real life if you're trying to, say, run a massive super-powerful microwave oven or whatever off of whatever reactor you've got going--even if it is supposed to be part of an engine--it's going to stop doing whatever else it's supposed to do. That's just to explain my reasoning though. I'm out of ideas, it's the experts' turn. Lol

the drive is the reactor
a gas of UF4 is under going fission that heat up the propelent and the hot propelent drives the ship
the extra heat is used to make EC and MJ in the built in  Thermal Electric Generator

6 minutes ago, Dave1234 said:

If you say so. I've never used those, it just makes sense to ME that in real life if you're trying to, say, run a massive super-powerful microwave oven or whatever off of whatever reactor you've got going--even if it is supposed to be part of an engine--it's going to stop doing whatever else it's supposed to do. That's just to explain my reasoning though. I'm out of ideas, it's the experts' turn. Lol

Just now, danielboro said:

the drive is the reactor
a gas of UF4 is under going fission that heat up the propelent and the hot propelent drives the ship
the extra heat is used to make EC and MJ in the built in  Thermal Electric Generator

Yes, I get that. On the other hand, in real life, who knows what putting excessive load on a system like that would do? As far as I know, it's a hypothetical concept; a near-future bit of sci-fi that we've never actually built. More to the point, I've noticed that in the combination reactor-engines that I have used in the game--namely the nuclear ramjet and turbojet--I've noticed that the program has the thing generating Thermal Power units and then converting them into thrust, just like a combination reactor and thermal jet attachment, only all in one unit. That being the case, it occurred to me that the program might have decided to shut the engine down if all the power was being drawn off regardless of how it was supposed to work; in other words, a bug, so you might try shutting down some power-using systems and seeing if the thrust comes back online.

But that's all hypothetical. I was asking if you'd recently docked to another ship, because when I try that, it shuts pretty much EVERYTHING down. If you haven't done that, then you need an answer from somebody else. all that other stuff was just me getting sidetracked because I have an imprecise mind.

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

stoke radiators? what is that?

@danielboro Could you tell me how to reproduce the problem?

just use 1.15.15 reactor or nuke drive and cool them using  stock radiators (i used pebbel bed and  lightbulb and kandel. 3 different ships,all old and known to work) rate of waste heat removal was near 0
reverted to 1.15.1 i have no build up of waste heat

So I've been looking around for some tutorial about how to deal with aaaall those antennas and different types of light spectrums (IR, UV, MW)... It seems like the infrared is better for long range (?). Read that microwave only works really close from the source so I don't know how people can make a full power web with that.

And as I understood, on the other hand, you receive Thermal Power and thus need a Thermal Generator to extract electricCharge and Megajoules from this power, right?

All those parts are really confusing.

Oh, another question, what's the difference between iHAL and a Computer Core?

Thanks!

I just want to let you know that Kerbal engineer does not show correct T/W ratios for your engines.  It tells me a vasmir engine gives a craft a T/W of almost two when in actuality, its more like .1

Also can i condense the nitrogen resource into liquid nitrogen?

(final edit! i found the frikin refrigerators.)

Edited by AHeroReborn

I'm still tearing out my hair over these orbit reversals by the Alcubierre drives. They're not supposed to affect my real-space momentum at all, so when I leave Kerbin at about 3,000m/s in any given direction and activate the warp drive, on exit I should still have within 3,000m/s of Kerbin's velocity. Instead, I exit warp orbiting exactly the opposite direction of Kerbin for a velocity change of something like 15,000m/s since I entered warp. Something's backwards in there.

Aaaaaaand I can't complete a rally from Jool to Eve to Gilly to Minmus because, no matter how sloooooooow I go, it always puts my ship together wrong when I try to warp out of Jool! My aerodynamics have been so far out of whack that I've known I'd never be able to land the ship every time, and one time I actually had one of my internals (I keep most components inside cargo bays to minimize drag) blow up. Help?

Edited by Dave1234
Addition

6 minutes ago, gsamelon said:

Is the Tory Nuclear Ramjet Engine only for atmo flights?

It has a closed-cycle mode, so if you bring some propellant along (it can use most of them), you can have a brief rocket boost once you're not getting any jet power, just like the rapier.

On 9/30/2017 at 5:36 PM, Dave1234 said:

I'm still tearing out my hair over these orbit reversals by the Alcubierre drives. They're not supposed to affect my real-space momentum at all, so when I leave Kerbin at about 3,000m/s in any given direction and activate the warp drive, on exit I should still have within 3,000m/s of Kerbin's velocity. Instead, I exit warp orbiting exactly the opposite direction of Kerbin for a velocity change of something like 15,000m/s since I entered warp. Something's backwards in there.

Aaaaaaand I can't complete a rally from Jool to Eve to Gilly to Minmus because, no matter how sloooooooow I go, it always puts my ship together wrong when I try to warp out of Jool! My aerodynamics have been so far out of whack that I've known I'd never be able to land the ship every time, and one time I actually had one of my internals (I keep most components inside cargo bays to minimize drag) blow up. Help?

Notice that dropping out of warp in the proximity of a gravity well will reduce you exit speed. This effectively allows a skilled pilot with high warp to mass ratio to travel around the universe without spending any to much deltaV  If you don't want to be affected by the gravity drag, drop out of warp away from strong gravity wells

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Notice that dropping out of warp in the proximity of a gravity well will reduce you exit. This effectively allows a skilled pilot with high warp to mass ratio to travel around the universe without spending any to much deltaV  If you don't want to be affected by the gravity drag, drop out of warp away from strong gravity wells

And does that affect the issue of my ship becoming somehow mis-assembled during warp as well? Or just the orbit reversals?

Just now, FreeThinker said:

no, only during exiting

Because, really, the delta-V thing is a minor issue at this point; I found a standalone emDrive mod, scaled to work with stock power generators, and combined with your reactors, well... delta-V is not a problem. However, my ships falling apart--inside pieces winding up outside, wings in the wrong places, cargo holds misaligned, engines pointing the wrong way, some pieces colliding with each other and blowing up when they had been firmly attached before... That is a huge problem. Even a minor thing, like my engine pointing the wrong way by 5 degrees, can make the ship non-recoverable, and any ship with an Alcubierre drive is an expensive ship, so I can't just write them off; I have to revert.

6 minutes ago, Dave1234 said:

Because, really, the delta-V thing is a minor issue at this point; I found a standalone emDrive mod, scaled to work with stock power generators, and combined with your reactors, well... delta-V is not a problem.

Well that kind of unbalanced as stock (like) engines require 500 less power than they should. KSPIE has it own EM drive which is calibrated with NASA EM drive result

Edited by FreeThinker

6 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well that kind of a cheating as stock (like) engine require 500 less power than they should. KSPIE has it own EM drive which is calibrated with NASA EM drive result

First, NASA's emDrive result is preliminary and crude. Today's theories all say it shouldn't work at all; once they understand how it works, they'll be able to make it work much, much better. So no, it's not cheating, it's just speculative science. Plausible science fiction really. For you to keep it working at the levels today's impractical prototypes are working at is just needless head-banging; holding us to exactly the way technology works today is completely inconsistent with just about everything else in your mod! I mean, do we even have molten salt reactors? We certainly don't have any that are just 2.50 meters in diameter!

Second, I tweaked its power requirements up. Way up. Not as high as yours, but... high. It won't work on stock generators the way I have it.

Third, you're missing my point. Or deliberately avoiding it. Which is that My. Ships. Are. Falling. Apart. Help please?

Edited by Dave1234
just... changes

1 minute ago, Dave1234 said:

Second, you're missing my point. Or deliberately avoiding it. Which is that My. Ships. Are. Falling. Apart. Help please?

I suspect some other mod is affecting it. One of the mods that might affect this effect is Mechjeb being active. Its important that during warp, no other mods affect the direction of travel because if there are they could make warp unstable, ripping the ship apart.

Just now, FreeThinker said:

I suspect some other mod is affecting it. One of the mods that might affect this effect is Mechjeb being active. Its important that during warp, no other mods affect the direction of travel because if there are they could make warp unstable, ripping the ship apart.

I don't know what Mechjeb is. I don't think I have it. Um, what other mods do I even have? I think that other emDrive mod is just about it. Ah, nope, I have one that adds ion engine RCS jets, but I don't have RCS active while I'm in warp. Or my thrusters either, which would include the emDrive mod. I haven't been able to get RSS to work, so that's not installed right now; I can't even get the scaled-up Kerbol system mod to work right! So right now all I've got is KSPI-E, one emDrive, and one RCS thruster, neither of which would be doing anything while they were running. No, I'm pretty positive I don't have any mods that would have anything to do with it, unless it came bundled with yours.

1 minute ago, Dave1234 said:

I don't know what Mechjeb is. I don't think I have it. Um, what other mods do I even have? I think that other emDrive mod is just about it. Ah, nope, I have one that adds ion engine RCS jets, but I don't have RCS active while I'm in warp. Or my thrusters either, which would include the emDrive mod. I haven't been able to get RSS to work, so that's not installed right now; I can't even get the scaled-up Kerbol system mod to work right! So right now all I've got is KSPI-E, one emDrive, and one RCS thruster, neither of which would be doing anything while they were running. No, I'm pretty positive I don't have any mods that would have anything to do with it, unless it came bundled with yours.

Alright, good then could you describe the steps I should follow to reproduce the problem you are suffering of?