KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

10 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

You can now Version 1.19.9 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 from here

Released on 2018-09-08

• Compiled against KSP 1.4.5
  • Added reactor activity animation to Open Cycle Gas Core Reactor
  • Added increased tweakscale sizes for RCS and electric engine
  • Balance: Reduced utilization thermal power/propulsion utilization for Open Cycle Gas Core Reactor
  • Fixed full utilization for MHD power generator combined with Open Cycle Gas Core or Plasma Jet Magneto Inertial Fusion Reactor
  • Fixed Thermal/Plasma/Magnetic nozzle imbalance with multiple reactors
  • Fixed ghost persistent thrust when below 0.1 kn thrust

Amen thanks

Small bug: The cost of the different positron containers are all wonky. 

Positronium storage ring: -100,000 funds, only has one attachment node

Electrostatic positrons containment (small): 1,015,000 funds  <--- too much money???

Electrostatic positrons containment compact (large): -12,000 funds

@FreeThinker

@FreeThinker, it seems that something is wrong with the "Krusader" engine; ∆V from the engine is only half of what it should be. Could you please check?

To show you what happens, I made a minimal test vehicle. All the 8 parts are from stock, KSPI-E or IFS. The vehicle is expected to have the ∆V of 215m/s. I set up a maneuver node so that the maneuver should be more or less complete when the propellent is exhausted.

Spoiler

ajneoy.jpg

The test result is shown below. The maneuver is only half complete.

Spoiler

2dgjhba.jpg

Thermal ramjet nozzle is OK.

2 hours ago, singlet said:

@FreeThinker, it seems that something is wrong with the "Krusader" engine; ∆V from the engine is only half of what it should be. Could you please check?

To show you what happens, I made a minimal test vehicle. All the 8 parts are from stock, KSPI-E or IFS. The vehicle is expected to have the ∆V of 215m/s. I set up a maneuver node so that the maneuver should be more or less complete when the propellent is exhausted.

Reveal hidden contents

ajneoy.jpg

The test result is shown below. The maneuver is only half complete.

Reveal hidden contents

2dgjhba.jpg

I suspect the problem lies in the calculation of available deltaV. To verify, try using the engine in Liquid Hydrogen mod and see if it makes any difference in the accuracy of the delta V calculation from Mech Jeb.

15 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I suspect the problem lies in the calculation of available deltaV. To verify, try using the engine in Liquid Hydrogen mod and see if it makes any difference in the accuracy of the delta V calculation from Mech Jeb.

@FreeThinker I already did that, and the result is the same (half the expected ∆V) for both hydrolox and hydrogen propellant.

Edited by singlet

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

Have you tried other delta-v tools ? or calculate delta-V manually. I need to know where the problem lies.

Both MechJeb and KerbalEngineer Redux give the same ∆V. Also, 590.6s * 9.81m/s2 * ln(23.495t/22.641t) ≅ 215m/s.

1 minute ago, FreeThinker said:

Weird, what about electrics engine, Vista engine and Daedalus engine, could you perform the same test there?

I have not yet unlocked all the necessary technologies in my game, so I don't know. I will try in a sandbox game later if you need it.

Just now, secretly_asian said:

Hey @FreeThinker i was curious if it is normal for a craft in warp to spin out of control/ jerk around to different directions. Some of my craft have done it, and others haven't. This usually happens on SOI change or when speeding up/slowing down warp. 

Some other players have reported a similar issue, but I could never reproduce. Could you provide the craft where it happens with?

1 hour ago, singlet said:

Both MechJeb and KerbalEngineer Redux give the same ∆V. Also, 590.6s * 9.81m/s2 * ln(23.495t/22.641t) ≅ 215m/s.

How do you exactly get those number for vessel mass?.

4 hours ago, singlet said:

@FreeThinker

Reveal hidden contents

ajneoy.jpg

You say it does not happen with the Ramjet nozzle? This sounds like an important clue ...

Edited by FreeThinker

15 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

How do you exactly get those number for vessel mass?.

You say it does not happen with the Ramjet nozzle? This sounds like an important clue ...

Vessel mass is given in the screenshot, reported by MechJeb. The number was also the same as reported by VAB editor.

In case of the ramjet nozzle, the expected ∆V and the actual ∆V differed only by ~5%, in contrast to the Krusader's ~50%.

57 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Some other players have reported a similar issue, but I could never reproduce. Could you provide the craft where it happens with?

Could be fault of KJR

How do I take magnetic scoop with spaceplane?

It can't be scaled down below 2.5m

Best spaceplane would have ARCJET engines for hovering on planets without atmosphere, thermal fusion engines with thermal turbojets for dense atmosphere (Highest thrust per MW), plasma engine with antimatter or antimatter initiated fusion reactor (Good thrust, ISP and wasteheat efficiency) and fusion engine , that has highest ISP (Low thrust but can do beelines from planet to planet).

Unless it isn't possible and at best you would have mothership capable of shooting trough solar system in straight lines and spaceplane lander capable of hovering, traveling in dense atmosphere and ascent to orbit from gas giants.

Edited by raxo2222

49 minutes ago, singlet said:

In case of the ramjet nozzle, the expected ∆V and the actual ∆V differed only by ~5%, in contrast to the Krusader's ~50%.

Well, that very interesting because they technically use the exact same part module and only differ in configuration. So something in the configuration caused different behaviour

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker,

I found a bug with the IFS cryogenic tank (longest one)

When scaled to 1.25m, and attached to a radial stack adapter with some sort of symmetry (be it 2x or 8x), and set to a specific tank in the editor ( like lqd methane), all but the original tank will default to Lqd He3. 

***EDIT***

There was a short un-tweaked IFS tank with liquid He3 in the build somewhere, i think the game might be getting confused which tank is what.

Edited by secretly_asian

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cyur5hhc92uc2hx/Warp Potato.craft?dl=0

Its a very basic warp.. thing. A positron reactor on a MHD, a probe, an antenna, a lot of radiators and the light warp drive. 

As raxo2222 said above, it might be the fault of KJR, because I do have that installed on my build 

58 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well that very interesting because they technically use the exact same part module and only differ in configuration. so something in the configuration caused different behaviour

Yes, that was the first thing I noticed when I began investigating this phenomenon. I thought this was weird, and wanted to know if this could be reproduced on other systems.

Anyway, I tried VISTA and Daedalus engines in a sandbox game. This is the first time I have ever tried using them, so there might be something wrong in the configuration. The two test crafts are exactly the same except for the engine. The result was that VISTA gave me only ~50% expected ∆V, and Daedalus ~100%.

Spoiler

Screen_Shot_3.png

Screen_Shot_4.png

25 minutes ago, singlet said:

Anyway, I tried VISTA and Daedalus engines in a sandbox game. This is the first time I have ever tried using them, so there might be something wrong in the configuration. The two test crafts are exactly the same except for the engine. The result was that VISTA gave me only ~50% expected ∆V, and Daedalus ~100%.

Reveal hidden contents

Screen_Shot_3.png

Screen_Shot_4.png

One interesting pattern is that both   VISTA  and Krusader make use of ModuleEnginesWarp, while ramjet and Daedalus are using ModuleEngines.

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker

I experimented with taking off KJR...

The craft in question was slightly more stable, however when i went to increase the speed and decrease the speed, the whole thing noodled into oblivion. Case in point, KJR is not the culprit. 

I want to say it has something to do with physics frames and how smoothly the game is running but i don't know. I'm not familiar with how the game actually makes the ship warp and what conditions it is operating under, either way, every time the warp "refreshes" my ship jerks off into a random direction throwing me off course.

23 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

One interesting pattern is that both   VISTA  and Krusader make use of ModuleEnginesWarp, while ramjet and Daedalus are using ModuleEngines.

I tried changing ModuleEnginesWarp into ModuleEngines as you suggested before editing (I assume you mean the Krusader engine configuration, right?). And it seems that your guess is spot on: the Krusader engine now gives ~100% of the expected ∆V.

4 minutes ago, singlet said:

I tried changing ModuleEnginesWarp into ModuleEngines as you suggested before editing (I assume you mean the Krusader engine configuration, right?). And it seems that your guess is spot on: the Krusader engine now gives ~100% of the expected ∆V.

Excellent, we are getting closer, what if you change ModuleEngines by ModuleEnginesFX ? We need to exclude if it is caused by the ModuleEnginesFX module, which ModuleEnginesWarp inherits from

14 minutes ago, secretly_asian said:

@FreeThinker

I experimented with taking off KJR...

The craft in question was slightly more stable, however when i went to increase the speed and decrease the speed, the whole thing noodled into oblivion. Case in point, KJR is not the culprit. 

I want to say it has something to do with physics frames and how smoothly the game is running but i don't know. I'm not familiar with how the game actually makes the ship warp and what conditions it is operating under, either way, every time the warp "refreshes" my ship jerks off into a random direction throwing me off course.

Alright, what I intend to do to patch it is to add a switch which will lock the Warp Drive in a single direction, that way it will ignore any change in direction.

Edited by FreeThinker

12 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Excellent, we are getting closer, what if you change ModuleEngines by ModuleEnginesFX ? We need to exclude if it is caused by the ModuleEnginesFX module, which ModuleEnginesWarp inherits from

ModuleEnginesFX is OK. It also gives ~100% of the expected ∆V.

4 minutes ago, singlet said:

ModuleEnginesFX is OK. It also gives ~100% of the expected ∆V.

Ok, then we can conclude it is something in ModuleEnginesWarp that is causing this weird behaviour.

Weird, It almost seems as if it thinks it is on rails (time warping), causing it to consume additional resource, but not generating any additional thrust.

Edited by FreeThinker

@singlet For detection, the mod relies on the

vessel.packed

for determining if it in timewarp not, but if the method isn't reliable it would not only explain why you get a problem with missing deltaV but other part-modules which rely on it like the WarpDrive which need it to determine if it safe to apply certain changes to the orbit, because if it doesn't it would cause all kinds of mayhem, like tumbling widely like @secretly_asian described.

@singlet To to be clear, exactly how did you perform your test? Did you run only in real time, or did you activate Physics acceleration or use Time acceleration?

Edited by FreeThinker