KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

11 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Saw your post when I was editing my post.

What about other fuels?

Well for the Cryogenic Fuel Mixes I could fix the ratios of the mixed fuel modes to match fusion fuel burning, I probably will have to fix Vista en Deadalus fuel ratios as well. For some reason I never implemented this..

4 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

How to deconstruct Lthium-Deuterium componud so I can use it in Stellatron?

It will be automatically be deconstructed when you select D-Li6 mode. It is one of the alternative fuel sources

Edited by FreeThinker

18 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

It will be automatically be deconstructed when you select D-Li6 mode

Something not working then.

That powerplant has 20m base radius and around 350 meters in height.

Even KJR cant support that - had to use gravity hack (alt+f12) or to zero gravity or unbreakable joints/no crash damage

As you can see on pictures LiD isn't used at all

Edited by raxo2222

1 hour ago, raxo2222 said:

Deuter-Helium3 fuel could be stored as one gas for example.

I investigated this but it cannot be done.

I did some calculation and it appears the current 50:50  ratio of He3:Deuterium Fuel config is actually much worse than I though . The big problem is that Helium3 has the lowest density of any resource, and it cannot be chemically binded with anything. LqdHe3 density is even worse than LqdHydrogen: 0.58 vs 70.85. As a result the correct ratio for D-He3 fusion by Cryo Volume is 80.5024% : 19.4976%

Edited by FreeThinker

I flew around my 2 TW powerplant. It outputs so much wasteheat when producing laser, that surface of nearby sea should melt ;^)

Also RIP KSC.

Assuming emissivity of 1 and no convection radiators can't get rid much more than 10 MW of waste heat per square meter.

At 1 MW/square meter radiator has temperature of around 2000 kelvins - assuming ambient temperature of 3 k - deep space, if ambient temp is like 100 K then radiator would heat up to 2100 K

At 10 MW/square meter temperature would reach 3644 K - near upper limit of upgraded graphite radiators!

Even if upgraded radiators have emissivity of 1.4 (nanolathing), then 15 MW/square meter already is too much.

Also what about radiative heating of spaceship, when beam is too spread out?

Also nice radiator cheating:

gJ10W1x.jpg

Can we just remove surface bonus and allow tweakscaling radiators up to 100 meters (radius/longest side of rectangle)?

Deposing 1 000 000 MW of wasteheat (beaming extreme UV created by beam producer powered with  20m sized QSR can give you these numbers) requires radiator surface of ~100 000 meters squared (well sligthly less but still below 15MW/square meter).

That is square of around 316x316 meters. Or circle of 178m radius.

Edited by raxo2222

19 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

How to test it?

I have the same problem, tested it in a clean install with only NF, Interstellar and Hyper Edit with this craft.

To reproduce, launch the craft, and then with HyperEdit, put it in orbit. Landed in the planet, everything works great, but as soon as it's in space, the radiators stop working.

12 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Can we just remove surface bonus and allow tweakscaling radiators up to 100 meters (radius/longest side of rectangle)? 

What do you mean by surface bonus? and yes tweakscaling radiators  to higher sizes should be possible...

Radiator get comparatively havier as they become bigger, but this is compensated by reactors getting lighter

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

What do you mean by surface bonus? and yes tweakscaling radiators  to higher sizes should be possible...

Radiator get comparatively havier as they become bigger, but this is compensated by reactors getting lighter

Surface multiplayer - even its written in screenie above >.>

2 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Surface multiplayer - even its written in screenie above >.>

The surface multiplier is meant to bridge the gap between old KSPI and reality. In reality, graphene radiator will not function at high temperature in an oxygen atmosphere, because they will burn. This is the reason why NASA doesn't use graphene for heatshields, because it would burnup like charcoal.

This is the reason why I limit the effectiveness of Graphene radiator in atmosphere, their temperature is simply capped to about 500K which is much too low to be effective.

Instead people should use non-graphene radiators. The Classic ZZZ semi-foldable radiator are classified as titanium radiator, which can not get as hot as graphene radiator, but they do function well in atmospheres.

Graphene radiators are ment in space, where they can be light, strong and reach very high temperatures.

From a gameplay perspective this is great, as players have to make a choice between optimal performance in space or in atmospheres.

Edited by FreeThinker

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

The surface multiplier is meant to bridge the gap between old KSPI and reality. In reality, graphene radiator will not function at high temperature in an oxygen atmosphere, because they will burn. This is the reason why NASA doesn't use graphene for heatshields, because it would burnup like charcoal.

This is the reason why I limit the effectiveness of Graphene radiator in atmosphere, their temperature is simply capped to about 500K which is much too low to be effective.

Instead people should use non-graphene radiators. The Classic ZZZ semi-foldable radiator are classified as titanium radiator, which can not get as hot as graphene radiator, but they do function well in atmospheres.

Graphene radiators are ment in space, where they can be light, strong and reach very high temperatures.

From a gameplay perspective this is great, as players have to make a choice between optimal performance in space or in atmospheres.

Well radiator in screenshoot has area of 1 square meter. (and cheaty 6 square meters of effective area)

And its outputting 25 MW - it would melt easily.

It shouldn't be fairly hot 2900 kelvins. It should be blazing hot 4600 kelvins. (emissivity is set on 1.4 to simulate fully upgraded radiator)

It seems instead of limiting atmospheric effectivenes you boosted space effectiveness.

Edit: This radiator works even better on surface with atmosphere (sandbox mode, gravity almost off)

I have latest version of KSPI

UPd7oh.jpg

9QCezv.jpg

DjhTXM.jpg

Edit: more tests

GMnmyC.jpg

bbR2d6.jpg

Gk3JWX.jpg

pLYLQD.jpg

Checked other radiators.

Not all radiators have surface bonus.

heres test craft (infinite electricity hack is needed)

http://www9.zippyshare.com/v/ouRRoX9Y/file.html

Edited by raxo2222

12 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

I wonder if there could be fusion mode, that uses Hydrogen, Deuterium, Tritium, He3, Lithium6, Lithium7 and Boron at once :P

It would not work very well because each fusion has an optimal temperature and the change of the right atoms fusing is decreased while the change on undesired reactions producing either less energy, more neutrons or  worse, producing Gamma radiation is increased. It only works well in stars.

An exception to this would be Lithium6 cycle, which fuses with either Hydrogen or Helium3, but as a consequence of the increased number of actors has a reduced reaction rate, translating in reduced peak power

Edited by FreeThinker

I am trying to set up a test rig just to see what the ISRU is supposed to do and how to set it up.  I am not having much success.  First issue was the heat generated by the 1.25m fission reactor, at first I tried a bunch a radiators, silly me, which did a tremendously poor job of radiating the core heat from my reactor, so bad in fact that with 8 graphite double edge radiators I could only run the reactor at 17% in space or have it shut down due to core heat buildup.  Then I tried a "Ranger" cooling module and that one module can cool 3 reactors running at 100%.  Next issue was with Uraninite processing.  The ISRU never goes into online mode but my container of Enriched uranium is going up and my uraninite is going down and I cannot see where the depleted uranium goes, I have a tank for it but that tank never fills. Also are the buttons in the "Refinery Window" supposed to do anything?  No matter where I try to click them nothing happens, on Kerbin in space and the mun are where I have tried.

Trying to love the nuclear, but its not working for me at this time :(

Here is a picture of my test rig on the launch pad.

http://imgur.com/IRUNeAN

Not sure how to post inline pictures.

16 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

Well radiator in screenshoot has area of 1 square meter. (and cheaty 6 square meters of effective area)

And its outputting 25 MW - it would melt easily.

It shouldn't be fairly hot 2900 kelvins. It should be blazing hot 4600 kelvins. (emissivity is set on 1.4 to simulate fully upgraded radiator)

It seems instead of limiting atmospheric effectivenes you boosted space effectiveness.

Actually no, it has always been this way (but the effective surface area was hidden). Notice in past the Multipler was even higher (10) and I reduced it to 4. I justify by assuming radiator temperature is increased by about 41.14% by compression, and because of the power 4 radiance law, you end up with an effective multiplier of 4  (1.4142 ^4  = 4)

Of cource there is a limit to maximum radiator temperature but most of the time they don't get that hot. I was planning to make them more realsitic eventauly but as always there are more pressing matters to attent.

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, Zorstorer said:

graphite double edge radiators I could only run the reactor at 17% in space or have it shut down due to core heat buildup.

Graphite radiator don't work well in oxygen atmospheres,  they catch fire at high temperatures

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Graphite radiator don't work well in oxygen atmospheres,  they catch fire at high temperatures

They worked much better on the KSC launch pad and not in space. :(  Also the ranger pack says something about using geothermal to cool, shouldn't work at all in space?

Then again this heat thing is still a bit too far over my head, I just slap a crap ton of radiators on my ship till it doesn't explode too early :)

9 hours ago, Zorstorer said:

They worked much better on the KSC launch pad and not in space. :(  Also the ranger pack says something about using geothermal to cool, shouldn't work at all in space?

Then again this heat thing is still a bit too far over my head, I just slap a crap ton of radiators on my ship till it doesn't explode too early :)

Yep, I even posted screenshot that they can heat up to 3700 K with no problem on launchpad.

Catching on fire when hot wasn't implemented for graphite radiators it seems.

For example this radiator in that screenshot just works fine.

9QCezv.jpg

its hovering like that because I disabled gravity

On unrelated note I made EM/Molten Salt on Burnup mode probe, that can accelerate almost forever.

It took 3 weeks to get off Earth SOI, achieving escape velocity from solar system was nearly instant comparing to distance travelled and it reached 0.33% of speed of light after few decades.

I think EM drive with QSR needs relativistic cap :P
Flying over 100 000 km/s!
Passed nearby Saturn in 30 days!

Edited by raxo2222

Version 1.12.15 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-03-28

• Added new part Inline Phased Array which is a microwave tranciever with a unwrapped diameter if 50 m ( credits by @silversliver)
  • Added ability of ISRU Atmospheric Processing to operate without air intake, but ut still benefit from air intakes
  • Added ability of Fusion reactors to run on FusionPellets as an alternative to D+He3
  • Added ability of ISRU refinery to store overflow setting
  • Added ability to create FusionPellets from Deuterium and Helium3 in Daedalus and Refrigerator
  • Added ability to store Fusionpellets to Daedalus, Cryo storage tank and Spherical tank thermal heat buffer to beamed power receivers, allowing Ablative Laser Nozzle to operate effectively in NF mode
  • Added ability of fusion engine in Li6-D Fusion mode to use LithiumDeuteride
  • Balance Daedalus now requires Fusionpellets instead of Deuterium+Helium3
  • Balance Doubles power transfer radiators
  • Balance allow radiators to be tweakscaled larger
  • Balanced atmospheric performance radiators in NF mode
  • Balanced reduced power requirement Daedalus Fusion engine by a factor of 10
  • Fixed refinery power consumption in NF mode
Edited by FreeThinker