KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Make sure the panels point the  correct side to the sun (rotate the ship a bit)  and you should be able to go anywhere ... fortunately KSPI electric engine can work under time acceleration

arCbhPz.jpg

For improved performance, point a GW laser at it and it can achieve unreachable performance

Thanks for the picture and the tips. I see that I need to "Activeate Receiver" even if I am going only solar. Thank you again.

2 hours ago, LastStarDust said:

Thanks for the picture and the tips. I see that I need to "Activeate Receiver" even if I am going only solar. Thank you again.

Great, let me know how things work out for you. I love if you could post some pics

Hi Freethinker, thank you for building on and keeping this mod alive. I don't know how I could still keep coming back to Kerbal without Microwave Power!

I'm trying to use the Circular Solar Photovoltaic Cells for a Microwave Beamed power satellite.  I have enlarged the cells up to the max tweakscale value of 40m. The cells seem to be blocking themselves from the sun. The status message reads that the panel is blocked by "Circular Solar Photovoltaic Cell", if I rotate the craft quickly (before the cells can rotate fully in response) I can see a brief flicker of "Direct Sunlight" status message.

I just tested without any tweakscaling and the panel receives power just fine at normal scale. Any upscaling shows the "Blocked" status message.

If you are already aware that's fine, if not I'm willing to do whatever to test to save you the trouble if I can just let me know what steps you want me to try,

Thanks!

@FreeThinker I am back after more test results. So after taking the time to make a clean install of KSP and installing only Interstellar Extended, I've been able to repeat the thrust issue being caused by the Drill-o-matic. I am going to do a vanilla run in a few minutes here to see if happens with the stock parts only. I will keep you updated. 

FYI, I am running this in 64-bit mode. Not sure if it makes a difference but I figured I should mention it.

*UPDATE* I have tested again in vanilla with no issues. The issue only seems to occur with Interstellar Extended installed.

Edited by SimonTheSkink

47 minutes ago, Uberns said:

I can't seem to find the change log.  Is it hiding on github someplace?  (I don't have much experience with github other than downloading updates and perusing the wiki haha)

up to date Changelog kspi-e can be found here

few recommendation/considerations/options/ideas  for your first generation Nuclear Electric vessel:

• Add a thermal (ramjet) nozzle maximum  thrust, which in contract to the electric engine has no/limited conversion loses for those times you need extra trust, which is especially important for landing and take off from gravity wells (like the Mun)
  • Use dropable fuel tanks, every gram counts, especially early on
  • Consider adding a mix of propellants, LqdXenon, Lithium, Hydrazine (for Thermal propulsion) and LqdHydrogen (fox maximum Isp)
  • Consider adding a ISRU Electrolizer and Tanks Hydrazine, which can split the Hydrazine into Nitrogen and Hydrogen for improved Isp.  Besides that it will also be usefull to convert any Water/Ice into Hydrogen and Aluminia into Aluminium which can be used to get into orbit.
  • Consider adding ISRU Refrigerator, for storing Hydrogen, Nitrogen in a liquid state and process Solar Wind into rare resources including helium3 which can be very profitable if sold back at KCS or store them for more ambitious plans in the future for Fusion reactors or Fusion Engine Rocketry
  • Consider add a Lab for reprocessing Nuclear fuel, a ISRU processor to convert Uranite into Enriched Uranium and a drill to collect Uranite from the surface
  • Use the thermal helper for optimal amount of radiator, which is mend specifically for this purpose
  • Preferably use skin and fixed graphite radiators, which are lighter and cheaper then other radiators, they are also available early
  • Consider add an early beamed power transmitter if you intend to create a base, it will make future mission cheaper/easier
  • Add a super capacitator and a few backup solar panels. Nothing fancy, just enough to keep the electronics/crew alive and able to transmit data if the reactor is shut down
  • Consider shutting down the reactor and using the super capacitator  if you don’t use it for a long time and enough secondary power source are available (in space power is cheap)
Edited by FreeThinker

21 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

few recommendation/considerations/options/ideas  for your first generation Nuclear Electric vessel:

• Add a thermal (ramjet) nozzle maximum  thrust, which in contract to the electric engine has no/limited conversion loses for those times you need extra trust, which is especially important for landing and take of from gravity wells
  • Use dropable fuel tanks, every gram counts, especially early on
  • Consider adding a mix of propellants, LqdXenon, Lithium, Hydrazine (for Thermal propulsion) and LqdHydrogen (fox maximum Isp)
  • Consider adding a ISRU Electrolizer and Tanks Hydrazine, which can split the Hydrazine into Nitrogen and Hydrogen for improved Isp.  Besides that it will also be usefull to convert any Water/Ice into Hydrogen and Aluminia into Aluminium which can be used to get into orbit.
  • Consider adding ISRU Refrigerator, for storing Hydrogen, Nitrogen in a liquid state andprocessSolar Wind into rare resources including helium3 which can be very profitable if sold back at KCS.
  • Consider add a Lab for reprocessing Nuclear fuel, a ISRU processor to convert Uranite into Enriched Uranium and a drill to collect Uranite from the surface
  • Use the thermal helper for optimal amount of radiator, which is mend specifically for this purpose
  • Preferably use skin and fixed graphite radiators, which are lighter and cheaper then other radiators, they are also available early
  • Consider add an early beamed power transmitter if you intend to create a base, it will make future mission cheaper/easier
  • Add a super capacitator and a few backup solar panels. Nothing fancy, just enough to keep the electronics/crew alive and able to transmit power if the reactor is shut down
  • Consider shutting down the reactor and using the super capacitator  if you don’t use it for a long time and enough secondary power source are available (in space power is cheap)

I haven't really fiddled with the different propellants yet.  There are so many options that it seems I just keep going to either H2 or LFO (or xenon for probes) for simplicity.  But with this new base I have on Laythe, the new refueling station im working on at Bop, and the recently unlocked beamed power tech nodes... it may be high time to start experimenting with the other fuels.

Are you saying that it might be a good idea to try launching with hydrazine and then converting it to nitrogen and hydrogen as needed?  Is that how yall are getting around adding a bajillion H2 tanks to your interplanetary ships?

Edited by Uberns

45 minutes ago, Uberns said:

Are you saying that it might be a good idea to try launching with hydrazine and then converting it to nitrogen and hydrogen as needed?  Is that how yall are getting around adding a bajillion H2 tanks to your interplanetary ships?

It is probably not used by many but I just try giving some ideas if you like to maximise your DeltaV. There are a lot of possibilities, the fun for most is to find them out themselves.

Edited by FreeThinker

I've been mucking about with beamed power now for a couple of days, testing interactions between different transmitters and their resulting power with different distances.

I've come a cross quite a few "bumps" so far that defy my logical senses and thus suspect are actually bugs - or "undocumented features" :)

One of these could be phrased as an easy question:

Are MicroWave relays supposed to not be affected by size or direction of its trancievers, as it is stated in the wiki?

My experiments show a drop from 8000MJ recieved power to 20MJ (both night & day) when the actual powersource is occluded and one or more of my relays take over.

I replaced one of my "microrelays" (2x small phased arrays) with a "MegaRelay" (2x Multi Bandwidth Dish Tranciever (Large)) which bumped up the input power to ~200MJ whenever it was in line of sight.

As for the other issues I will compile more detailed reports.

Thanks for the BEST KSP mod out there :wink:

1 hour ago, Tobbs said:

Are MicroWave relays supposed to not be affected by size or direction of its trancievers, as it is stated in the wiki? :wink:

Well size is eventually supposed to affect, but currently the surface area in a direct way has no effect. What they are affecting is maximum capacity, which means if you use a scaled down a transciever, it will be able to transceive less power.

The direction currently has no effect and for the time it won't be, perhaps in the future for some part they will be, once you can create dedicated relays for fixed parts which will be useful for the non-flexable transmitters.

Once we create a transmitter and receiver managment window (something like current power windows), I'm going to investigate these options

Edited by FreeThinker

22 hours ago, SimonTheSkink said:

@FreeThinker I am back after more test results. So after taking the time to make a clean install of KSP and installing only Interstellar Extended, I've been able to repeat the thrust issue being caused by the Drill-o-matic. I am going to do a vanilla run in a few minutes here to see if happens with the stock parts only. I will keep you updated. 

FYI, I am running this in 64-bit mode. Not sure if it makes a difference but I figured I should mention it.

*UPDATE* I have tested again in vanilla with no issues. The issue only seems to occur with Interstellar Extended installed.

It's posted further up this page from last night.

*UPDATE* Scratch that last post, issue is still persisting. After some more mucking around I found the true culprit, the "KSPI-E Fuel Tank Adapter" has been causing the issue, not the drills.

Edited by SimonTheSkink

On 4/25/2017 at 4:47 PM, SaturnianBlue said:

It doesn't seem to have an option for that...

It looks like your refinery interface window has...nothing inside of it?  I'm not sure if that's a bug with your current version of KSPI-E or something caused by the other mods you may be running along-side it.  I'm not on the most current version of KSPI-E just yet, so I can't comment on it specifically.  That being said, it *should* be in the "toggle refinery window" interface.

6 hours ago, DGerry said:

It looks like your refinery interface window has...nothing inside of it?  I'm not sure if that's a bug with your current version of KSPI-E or something caused by the other mods you may be running along-side it.  I'm not on the most current version of KSPI-E just yet, so I can't comment on it specifically.  That being said, it *should* be in the "toggle refinery window" interface.

It probably is a bug, I'll try reinstalling KSP-I later and see what happens.

I've been playing for a while now only to realize that I must be missing something in the iSRU gameplay. Focusing on the Haber process, it seems to me that I can't use LqH2 and LqN2 to produce LqNH3. I can do it with their gas phases which will produce NH3. Either I broke something in my mods setup or this is normal and the wiki is outdated. If the latter how do I convert NH3 stored in a gas tank to a LqNH3?

2 hours ago, pp3d said:

I've been playing for a while now only to realize that I must be missing something in the iSRU gameplay. Focusing on the Haber process, it seems to me that I can't use LqH2 and LqN2 to produce LqNH3. I can do it with their gas phases which will produce NH3. Either I broke something in my mods setup or this is normal and the wiki is outdated. If the latter how do I convert NH3 stored in a gas tank to a LqNH3?

Yes, something has changed, ISRU conversion processes now require resources to be in their gas state. You need to use Universal Storage gasifier or  Inline/ Hex-module ISRU  Refrigerator to convert between gas and liquid state.

If that impossible for any running mission, there is an option to change it in the WarpPlugin config file

20 hours ago, LastStarDust said:

Hello,

I have another ship that doesn't behave as it should:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywhlkz1z0rgirdx/screenshot428.png?dl=0

The tower in the background is a huge beamed power transmitter. The ship thermal receiver is on and receiving, nevertheless no thrust from the thermal nozzle. Am I missing something?

Have you noticed the Threshold on engine interface. Your rockets needs to overcome the static pressure threshold to generate any meaningful thrust, where are you located? looks like Eve, which has a high surface pressure (5 times as high a Kerbin). To overcome this problem, make sure your vessel is equipped with an air intake

Edited by FreeThinker

17 hours ago, SimonTheSkink said:

No more issues present. Was able to get my ship to Jool by leaving off the ""KSPI-E Fuel Tank Adapter". So the problem has been worked around for me, just a notice for other people so it doesn't happen to them as well.

So you imply something is wrong with the tank adapter?

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

So you imply something is wrong with the tank adapter?

Yes, I tried various ships in vanilla mode and with Interstellar Extended. After multiple tests and trying different parts, thrust dropped to 0 when the "KSPI-E Fuel Tank Adapter" (3.5m to 5m) was present, but only after applying around 1,750 to 1,830 Delta-V when doing an escape trajectory from Kerbin. The tanks were loaded with Lqd Hydrogen, doubt this makes any difference but I figured you should know. If you would like me to conduct some tests to help out, I would be more then happy too. Just let me know.

Edited by SimonTheSkink