KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

Yeah man, its definitely the thermal engines.  So look at the KER window.  Normally it will say 0 for the values, and then when you select the a fuel type that the engine can use it will actually show its Delta V.  However, the thermal engines are now showing this NaNkNm thing.  Again I can launch the craft and everything is fine.  The SECOND I hit the stage button for the engine (regardless of throttle level) I go into Apocalypse world.  (also yes I know technically there is no "jump start" reactor on here.  However, I have tested it with one and get the same result)

I tried removing Photon sailor.  That didn't help.

ONYETZh.jpg

XvN1mht.jpg

vmPOzrg.jpg

vM6SeJT.jpg

NEefZwt.jpg

Here is the full gallery. https://imgur.com/a/puIUIf7

Edited by flyguybc

@FreeThinker I fixed the links above.  Please review that.  Sorry I deleted the original imgur post apparently.

Build:

Circular Radiator

3 person command pod

Fuel tank with HTP (I've tried multiple and it doesn't seem to matter)  Also tried liquid argon.

Magnetized targeted fusion reactor

Thermal turbo or ramjet set to HTP or whichever fuel.

Launch the craft

Hit space bar to activate engines

Apocalypse

So my current work around is I downgraded to the previous version of KSPIE from the front page.  EVEN THEN it was still happening when I launched craft I had previously built with the engines before.  I had to remove the thermal engines, save the craft, open another one, then open the original one again now without engines.  I then grabbed necessary thermal turbo/ramjets from the parts menu, set them up with action groups and fuel choice, and then launched the craft and it worked.  It was behaving like the craft file somehow remembered the error from the most current update, and I had to remove them, and re-add them to get the older version ones that work.

Edited by flyguybc
Added clarity

@FreeThinker

Hi, I'm having trouble transmitting science from a science lab I have in orbit of Minmus. It's been up there a while and has been working fine until very recently. I tried transmitting 600 science and it goes through the process of transmitting, reaches 100% and says "done", but no science is added. The 600 science remains on the lab. I tried transmitting data, and that works fine.

I'm using KSPIE 1.21.6.4 downloaded and installed with Ckan. KSP version 1.7.0.2483

I've also just tried reverting to KSPIE 1.21.5.4, and that seems to work fine, so I'll continue to use that version for now.

Is anyone else having this problem or is it just me?

57 minutes ago, Turbo Ben said:

^yes

cnEr7p3.jpg

But those new 1.25m liquid core nuclear engines give me life. And great range! Imgur was a lot easier than I thought :prograde:

Also autostrut gives me life but it is kinda cheaty :retrograde:

2 hours ago, Turbo Ben said:

@FreeThinker

Hi, I'm having trouble transmitting science from a science lab I have in orbit of Minmus. It's been up there a while and has been working fine until very recently. I tried transmitting 600 science and it goes through the process of transmitting, reaches 100% and says "done", but no science is added. The 600 science remains on the lab. I tried transmitting data, and that works fine.

I'm using KSPIE 1.21.6.4 downloaded and installed with Ckan. KSP version 1.7.0.2483

I've also just tried reverting to KSPIE 1.21.5.4, and that seems to work fine, so I'll continue to use that version for now.

Weird, the only differerence compaired to 1.21.5 is that it contains a science experiment. Could you remove ModuleScienceExperiment from WarpPlugin\Parts\Command\scienceModule.part.cfg and see if the problem persists?

On 5/24/2019 at 6:31 PM, Dollehz said:

@FreeThinker

I'm having the exact same problem as flyguybc.

The 'Tory Nuclear Ramjet' and the 'Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet' are affected in the same way.

Any fuel type, any craft, once you activate the engine weird stuff happens.

Thanks, that help me figure out the problem.  The problem is that I initialized atmosphereIspCurve  instead of atmosphereCurve.

You can fix it by opening GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\ThermalTurbojet\ThermalTurboJet.cfg and replace the word atmosphereIspCurve with atmosphereCurve. After that any new vessels should be fixed. Same applies to Nuclear Ramjet, Nuclear TurboJet and Thermal Ramjet

Edited by FreeThinker

I'll try it when I play next.  Thank you sir!

So outside of the bug.  Two things for everyone!  1 I made a new more organized SSTO with a cargo bay.  Two beaucoupzero released a build with a great example of microwave power plane and power station.  See my guide on the front page for the beau video.

znUK5CW.jpg

W4z8GhN.jpg

Full Gallery - about 3900 d/v - https://imgur.com/gallery/Bl0Bg7D

So just to be clear....

PROPELLANT
    {
        name = IntakeAtm
        ratio = 1
    }
    atmCurve
     {
        key = 0.00 0.00
        key = 0.04 0.25
        key = 0.16 0.50
        key = 0.50 0.80
        key = 1.00 1.00
     }
    velCurve
    {
        key = 0 0.70 0 0
        key = 1 1.00 0 0
        key = 2 0.95 0 0
        key = 3 0.70 0 0
        key = 4 0.45 0 0
        key = 5 0.20 0 0
        key = 7 0.00 0 0
    }
    atmosphereCurve  <<<<<<THIS IS WHAT I CHANGED.  It was AtmosphereIspCurve.  This is what you meant right?
    {
        key = 0.00 332.5
        key = 0.15 266
        key = 0.3  266
        key = 1.0  266
    }    

EDIT:  Ok think that worked.  I'm doing good so far.  I'll report any issues.

Edited by flyguybc

I was trying to test optimum configurations for me vessels in sandbox. I use antimatter reactor. I realized some changes to previous builds ( versions from last years when i last played) I want to confirm if they are correct or I have bugs.

Thermal engines of any type do not work at all higher than certain altitude. I used different kind of fuels but still same.

Plasma nozzle and magneto plasma demand only few hundred MW power and giving very low thrust.

Vista demands lots of power but do not produce thrust more than 1kN.

Most engines do not have plume at all.

My test configuration is charged particle power converter coupled with antimatter reactor, hydrogen propellant. I am using this on ksp 1.6.1, realism overhaul and KSP-E only. 

Edited by yafeshan

12 minutes ago, yafeshan said:

I was trying to test optimum configurations for me vessels in sandbox. I use antimatter reactor. I realized some changes to previous builds ( versions from last years when i last played) I want to confirm if they are correct or I have bugs.

Thermal engines of any type do not work at all higher than certain altitude. I used different kind of fuels but still same.

Plasma nozzle and magneto plasma demand only few hundred MW power and giving very low thrust.

Vista demands lots of power but do not produce thrust more than 1kN.

Most engines do not have plume at all.

My test configuration is charged particle power converter coupled with antimatter reactor, hydrogen propellant. I am using this on ksp 1.6.1, realism overhaul and KSP-E only. 

Thermal engines should work everywhere. This appears to be a conflict with realism overhaul.

Plasma and Magneto nozzle (to me) seem to give low thrust, but incredibly high isp

2 minutes ago, flyguybc said:

What is the lithium battery used for?  I see the 200 Electric charge, but what's the Kilowatt hours for?  I don't see that measure anywhere else in the mod.

This, I haven't a clue. I wasn't able to find an answer since I started watching this thread a few months myself

25 minutes ago, flyguybc said:

What is the lithium battery used for?  I see the 200 Electric charge, but what's the Kilowatt hours for?  I don't see that measure anywhere else in the mod.

It a high power storage device, ideal in application in where a reactor would be overkill. It can be configured to convert automatically between Electric Charge and KilowattHour. Ideal for power stations or Rovers that need to operate in the dark while requiring a lot power.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 5/24/2019 at 8:00 PM, FreeThinker said:

Weird, the only differerence compaired to 1.21.5 is that it contains a science experiment. Could you remove ModuleScienceExperiment from WarpPlugin\Parts\Command\scienceModule.part.cfg and see if the problem persists?

Hi.

I've updated KSPIE again and removed the module as requested. Science transmitted as expected.

I didn't realise you had added a science experiment, so before I removed the module, I gave it a go. I got an error message: "Science Lab Experiment requires a scientist but doesn't specify where. This module doesn't seem to be working properly."

Could this be because my science lab was launched before the update?

@kerbnub

@kerbnub

On 5/23/2019 at 8:27 AM, kerbnub said:

I've mostly succeeded with this ugly Liquid Helium based spaceplane. It uses just parts from KSPI and Interstellar Fuel Switch.    https://imgur.com/a/wdKLzpy?

It can land on and SSTO from Eve (though I'm not sure if it would have enough fuel left to warp after), and has the TWR and ISP to land on Tylo, but would need to be flown like a madman or reconfigured or have an engine to cushion the forward impact after landing on its nose. It has drills to mine regolith, from which helium can be refined with the ISRU. Alternately, the refrigerator can extract helium from atmospheres.

While Liquid Helium seems to be the best spaceplane fuel in KSPI, most parts don't seem to support it. The IFS tanks are pretty decent for Liquid Helium, though I still feel the lack of integration into other parts. The bulkiness is annoying but makes it easier to aerobrake. I did some wrapping with fairings to make up for bugged IFS drag values (see below), but it really would be so much nicer if a liquid helium option was added in all tanks using IFS. Real fuels configs with helium are totally messed up, too, so it will take a lot of tweaking to get a coherent helium setup.

@FreeThinkerI discovered that all the IFS nosecone or adapter parts create just ridiculous drag.

Example case here. The IFS nosecone tank is creating 337 drag, the (much larger) pure cylinder tank creates barely 2. They are attached correctly.

I'm trying to replicate this, might I ask if you could upload this craft to kerbalx?

2 hours ago, Turbo Ben said:

Hi.

I've updated KSPIE again and removed the module as requested. Science transmitted as expected.

I didn't realise you had added a science experiment, so before I removed the module, I gave it a go. I got an error message: "Science Lab Experiment requires a scientist but doesn't specify where. This module doesn't seem to be working properly."

Could this be because my science lab was launched before the update?

I don't think so. It appears to be a weird stock bug which only applied when stock science experiment is combined with stock modules found in Science processing Lab. For next release I will remove it

Edited by FreeThinker

On 5/23/2019 at 1:02 AM, TanoPrime said:

I do, yes please, that would be awesome to have, for multiple reasons:

- for the same reason why KSP has cheats, testing some features require repeated reproduction of specific conditions. 
For example, there's little more sapping from the fun of the game than when I have to do an atmospheric launch every time I'm trying to test how a large space station, or an interplanetary craft, is balanced, or which way the docking ports are facing, and so on, especially if I'm intentionally in Sandbox mode to test a design. The "cheat to orbit" option has helped me reduce a lot of frustration, as did the having mechjeb for boring repetitive missions, since I test my designs in sandbox repeatedly in a lot of detail before using them with financial consequences in Career mode (as this would be in a realtime scenario, a lot of person-hours would be spent modeling fail scenarios to a six-sigma level of certainty);

- realism, a meatspace mission in interplanetary space would have automation capable of handling nearly everything, and heavily automated UI and HUD elements, to amplify, assist, and manage human cognitive abilities and limitations. This is done already to a great extent today in realworld applications. A pilot receives training to navigate without instruments in case the plane's battery dies (along with a lot of other fail scenarios), but that doesn't mean the pilot has to always navigate without assistive instruments. Even though I know which landscape markers to follow to find the airfield I took off from, I still appreciate that the second plane model I trained on had GPS installed, after many times leaving for training flights to the same permitted flyzone - the nearby international airport clogged all the airspace in the area, the surroundings got really monotonous after a while;

- accessibility: I've learned to play Kerbal while managing PTSD, and not being very functional (able to focus or intake complex information). KSP had stock tools, and extra mods, that allowed me assistance in learning the parts of the game that I wasn't too intellectually deficient to understand, and during a long process of a year or more learning enough about the basics of the game, practical orbital mechanics, mass distribution, and all the other primary and ancillary skills necessary to fully enjoy the game.
I made my game progressively more and more difficult, took on greater and greater challenges, because I had the ability to have it easy at the beginning when I couldn't handle more;

- kinda connected to the above point, I'm interested in playing or creating a roleplaying mod if there isn't one.
I would like the idea of being able to take the mechanics of KSP for a spin into a larger universe, where it would be possible for someone to be an AI assisted wanderer, or an engineering minded in-system or inter-system professional. Technically even in science fiction movies the pilots making things look too easy were conceivably trained in how to do stuff completely without automation, or had the option of picking it up with a lot of automation.

Alright, I have realized you wish, it will now automatically rendezvous or circularize based on you target. You can no simply target Moho, Charge and Active, jack up warp speed to maximum and see in real time how the warp drive will decrease speed at you approach Moho and exit warp just before it is about crash into moho, if exit warp and ends up in a near perfect circular orbit. Alternative select any target vessel or asteroid, warp to it at maximum warp and redevous a few kilomets from it in a similar orbit as the target.

Hey, new member here, i need help with an issue i had with the science labs from this mod, when i press the "transmit science" button, it supposedly transmits the science but i dont get any science points from the transmission, and the lab doesnt lose any science points as well, how can i solve this? thanks in advance.

Edited by khrist0ff

5 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

Welcome to the forum @khrist0ff.

Transmitting science uses a lot of power (and requires an antenna). It sounds like you are running out of electricity before the transmission is complete.

I have a lot of electricity in my station and im 100% sure its enough to transmit all the science. Also i dont know if this could be related to the issue but there's a new button i had not seen before called "deploy experiment", when i press it, an error comes up saying "Science lab experiments require a scientist, but doesnt specify where, looks like this module isn't working properly". Btw, im in the newest version of this mod and i havent had this kind of problem before, im sure the antenna is working properly and my electricity is enough ( 3 Super Lithium batteries + solar panels) the problem here is, when i press the "transmit science" button it gets to the 100% mark and even shows the message saying that its done transmitting, but doesnt give me any science points even though the lab is full, help me please.