KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

2 hours ago, wkwied said:

Interesting. I think I may have just encountered the same problem.

It seems like, air breathing engines do not register intake atm as replenishing. So even if you have air intakes on the engine, it will not register and once the initial (small) supply of 'intake air' is burnt up, the engine flames out.

I've replicated this on KSPIE latest and game version 1.7.0

That's exactly the problem I'm having. After the initial supply is gone, they flame out. Adding more intakes extends time before flameout because "stored" air.

6 hours ago, Combatsmithen said:

I have a couple of jets I made before I installed KSPI and one I just made. They use Juno engines and they no longer work. A few seconds after starting the engines they have an intake air flameout and it's definitely not a lack of intake air problem. Don't know why they are doing this.

3 hours ago, wkwied said:

Interesting. I think I may have just encountered the same problem.

It seems like, air breathing engines do not register intake atm as replenishing. So even if you have air intakes on the engine, it will not register and once the initial (small) supply of 'intake air' is burnt up, the engine flames out.

I've replicated this on KSPIE latest and game version 1.7.0

It seems that there are some problems at Patches\AtmosphericIntake.cfg

I think I may have found the problem. In the file GameData/WarpPlugin/Patches/AtmosphericIntake.cfg

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[AtmosphericIntake],@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]:HAS[#resourceName[IntakeAir]]]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

Should be changed to :

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[AtmosphericIntake],@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]:HAS[#resourceName[IntakeAir]]]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

At the very least that gets rid of the module manager errors, and gets jet engines working again.

Edited by Drtyhppy2

@FreeThinker, first of all, thank you for this amazing mod. I found it last week, and have really enjoyed my time playing with it. I got into KSP 2 months ago, but only started using mods a few weeks ago. Your mod, without a doubt, is the most expansive one that I've tried so far, and I after the initial learning curve I am finding it most enjoyable.

There's one thing, however, that has me a little confused. It seems like the productions of the Cyclotron Positron Factory and the Cyclotron Antiproton Factory don't scale properly when Time Warping. I might be wrong, but it seems to me that even when I'm at 10000x warp, the production rate w.r.t. real world time is exactly the same as when at 1x time warp. The antimatter collectors don't suffer from the same issue, just the factories.

To make sure the issue is not on my end, I've tested this on KSP 1.7.0 and now on 1.7.1, with KSPIE versions 1.21.7.4 and 1.21.8.4 respectively, and with only the dependencies of KSPIE and a very few other mods installed (Editor Extensions and HyperEdit). However, as I'm very new to KSP modding, I'm not sure if it's something I did, or some other mod that I should install to rectify this.

Also, I think it'd be more friendly to newer players or those not very well-versed in nuclear physics if the factories mention that they need Hydrogen to produce the antimatter. The maximum energy required also seems to he wrong, as the stated energy (only a few kw) seems to be for storing the antimatter, and production of antimatter requires a much larger supply of energy. But the wording on the description says "maximum energy required" which is a little misleading.

Sorry for the exceptionally long post. And once again thanks for spending so much time and effort to create this mod for us.

I'm returning after years away from KSP so I probably shouldn't even be commenting here (I'm a bewildered newb once again), but I couldn't get this mod to install correctly. I got an "Unsupported Version, please use 1.5.1" for 'Filter Extensions', and the same thing with Photon Sailor saying to use v1.7. I just installed from Steam yesterday, and my game version is listed as 1.7.1.2539

1 hour ago, Sean D said:

Also, I think it'd be more friendly to newer players or those not very well-versed in nuclear physics if the factories mention that they need Hydrogen to produce the antimatter.

In contrast to reality where protons are used antiprotons, KSPIE currently only require power to produce Antiprotons and Positron. Perhaps you are confused with the consumption of antimatter in antimatter beam core reactor which does require hydrogen.

2 minutes ago, seamutt said:

I'm returning after years away from KSP so I probably shouldn't even be commenting here (I'm a bewildered newb once again), but I couldn't get this mod to install correctly. I got an "Unsupported Version, please use 1.5.1" for 'Filter Extensions', and the same thing with Photon Sailor saying to use v1.7. I just installed from Steam yesterday, and my game version is listed as 1.7.1.2539

I get tons of those messages when my game starts up, typically you can just click “ok” and they can be safely ignored.

1 hour ago, Sean D said:

There's one thing, however, that has me a little confused. It seems like the productions of the Cyclotron Positron Factory and the Cyclotron Antiproton Factory don't scale properly when Time Warping. I might be wrong, but it seems to me that even when I'm at 10000x warp, the production rate w.r.t. real world time is exactly the same as when at 1x time warp. The antimatter collectors don't suffer from the same issue, just the factories.

I found the issue and it will be fixed next release. What version of KSP are you using?

53 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I found the issue and it will be fixed next release. What version of KSP are you using?

As I mentioned I tried 1.7.0 and 1.7.1. I first faced the problem when using 1.7.0 with version  KSPIE 1.21.7.4 (which was my first time using KSPIE). Today I updated to KSP 1.7.1 (Breaking Ground DLC) and KSPIE 1.21.8.4 and found that the problem still persists.

Looking forward to the next version.

And just 1 more thing. I know that a plasma nozzle when attached to the the Beam Core Antimatter Reactor uses only 2% of of the reactor's power, and of course this is also made clear by the description which has a green 2% written beside it. But in the VAB its thrust/ISP/dV are calculated assuming it would be powered by the total reactor power, which gives false numbers. The numbers shown by KER are also similarly false. Is it possible to fix this? It's a very minor thing so it's okay if it can't be fixed.

13 hours ago, Drtyhppy2 said:

I think I may have found the problem. In the file GameData/WarpPlugin/Patches/AtmosphericIntake.cfg

@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[AtmosphericIntake],@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]:HAS[#resourceName[IntakeAir]]]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

Should be changed to :

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[AtmosphericIntake],@MODULE[ModuleResourceIntake]:HAS[#resourceName[IntakeAir]]]:FOR[WarpPlugin]

At the very least that gets rid of the module manager errors, and gets jet engines working again.

I do have some MM errors popping up alongside loading. Is there a way to check which mod cause the errors.

Is there a log being generated somewhere after the loading process?

22 minutes ago, Iso-Polaris said:

I do have some MM errors popping up alongside loading. Is there a way to check which mod cause the errors.

Is there a log being generated somewhere after the loading process?

In the Folder ksp/logs/module manager there should be a module manager output log stating what files are causing any warnings. My loading screen however, said specifically all 8 errors I was getting were related to atmospheric intake.cfg ( perhaps I have a different version of module manager?) and changing the ! in the first line to @ makes the errors go away and the Juno engine worked fine after I made the change. That being said I am definitely no expert on module manager syntax.

Edited by Drtyhppy2

3 minutes ago, Drtyhppy2 said:

In the Folder ksp/logs/module manager there should be a module manager output log stating what files are causing any warnings. My loading screen however, said very specifically all 8 errors I was getting were related to atmospheric intake.cfg and changing the ! in the first line to @ makes the errors go away and the Juno engine worked fine after I made the change. That being said I am definitely no expert on module manager syntax.

That works wonder!!!

I really hode this issue would be fixed on next KSPI-E update

11 hours ago, Sean D said:

And just 1 more thing. I know that a plasma nozzle when attached to the the Beam Core Antimatter Reactor uses only 2% of of the reactor's power, and of course this is also made clear by the description which has a green 2% written beside it. But in the VAB its thrust/ISP/dV are calculated assuming it would be powered by the total reactor power, which gives false numbers. The numbers shown by KER are also similarly false. Is it possible to fix this? It's a very minor thing so it's okay if it can't be fixed.

Yes I will look at it. To solve the problem of confusion, I'm considering introducing a dedicated antimatter plasma power reactor. I found a model of startrek like antimatter warp core which looks suitable as an antimatter plasma power reactor

rzlC7Pd.jpg

It would be an all in one integrated part (like the Tri-Alpha ),  with integrated power converters and antimatter fuel storage. Besides providing lots of electric power it would also be suitable for plasma propulsion. Idealy it would be used for powering the alcubiere warp drive which needs lots of power.

Edited by FreeThinker

14 hours ago, Drtyhppy2 said:

Should be changed to :

Sorry, but why would this be wrong? The script is intended only to execute when AtmosphericIntake is not already present.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:41 PM, FreeThinker said:

Sorry, but why would this be wrong? The script is intended only to execute when AtmosphericIntake is not already present.

To be honest I don’t really know enough about how the code works to know why it was throwing MM errors or why exactly my change made them go away, also MM wasn’t outputting a log so I couldn’t find the exact error that way either. So, I simply played a game of “which one is not like the others”, and got the errors to clear and made the post as a means for users experiencing the issue to make a temporary hot fix.

Of course I wasn’t 100% certain the patch wasn’t intended to be as it was, and didn’t intend to come across so sure of myself in my previous post.

Edit: Here are the warnings from the MM log.

[WRN 2019-06-02 23:14:13.834] Cannot find key intakeSpeed in MODULE
[WRN 2019-06-02 23:14:13.834] Cannot find key ResourceIntakeSpeed in PART
[WRN 2019-06-02 23:14:13.834] Cannot find key intakeSpeed in MODULE
[WRN 2019-06-02 23:14:13.834] Cannot find key ResourceIntakeSpeed in PART
[WRN 2019-06-02 23:14:13.835] Cannot find key intakeSpeed in MODULE
[WRN 2019-06-02 23:14:13.836] Cannot find key ResourceIntakeSpeed in PART
[WRN 2019-06-02 23:14:13.837] Cannot find key intakeSpeed in MODULE
[WRN 2019-06-02 23:14:13.837] Cannot find key ResourceIntakeSpeed in PART
[WRN 2019-06-02 23:14:48.383] Errors in patch prevents the creation of the cache

Edited by Drtyhppy2

I'm having trouble again :(

Ion propulsion this time. I can get it to work with solar panels, but the engines stop working when not in direct sunlight. They still glow, but the exhaust stops and there's no thrust. I've tried taking along all sorts of different batteries but nothing seems to work.

What am I doing wrong?

3 minutes ago, Turbo Ben said:

I'm having trouble again :(

Ion propulsion this time. I can get it to work with solar panels, but the engines stop working when not in direct sunlight. They still glow, but the exhaust stops and there's no thrust. I've tried taking along all sorts of different batteries but nothing seems to work.

What am I doing wrong?

What engine are you using?

Do you have any kind of reactor or power source other than solar panels?

When they stop working, do you run out of EC or MJ?

1 minute ago, wkwied said:

What engine are you using?

Do you have any kind of reactor or power source other than solar panels?

When they stop working, do you run out of EC or MJ?

Thanks for the reply.

It's the stock dawn ion engine but running on liquid argon instead of xenon.

No reactors, it's a small(ish) satellite. Power sources are 2 gigantor solar arrays which work when in sunlight. I'm also loaded up with IFS capacitors (10 of them, scaled down to 1.25m) which have MJ and EC, but the engines are not using them.

1 hour ago, Turbo Ben said:

Thanks for the reply.

No reactors, it's a small(ish) satellite. Power sources are 2 gigantor solar arrays which work when in sunlight. I'm also loaded up with IFS capacitors (10 of them, scaled down to 1.25m) which have MJ and EC, but the engines are not using them.

Have you moved the slider over to make them convert MJ to EC? If the slider is at 0 I don’t think they output anything.

1 hour ago, Turbo Ben said:

Thanks for the reply.

Yup it sounds like the batteries are running out. That engine should only be able to use EC, and with the IFS cap, that needs to be set to convert MJ to EC.

Just make sure you do not run out of MJ.. and unless you stay in sunlight for a really long time, it will take a good while to recharge all the MJ back with only solar power

20 minutes ago, Drtyhppy2 said:

Have you moved the slider over to make them convert MJ to EC? If the slider is at 0 I don’t think they output anything.

I did try messing with the slider, it made no difference. I did notice that slider acting odd though. In some positions the figures above the slider would flicker on and off really fast. Made it hard to grab the slider as it kept moving.

I had updated to KSP 1.7.1 recently, and KSPIE updated through CKAN. I reverted back to KSP 1.7.0 because Kopernicus is not updated yet. I've manually reverted KSPIE back to 1.21.7.4 which is for KSP 1.7.0.

It'll flicker if it is currently getting charge because the status is being updated.

Try this and tell me what happens

- retract solar panels
- run the engine until you are out of EC
-on one cap, drag the slider all the way over to the EC side
- Notate that your EC charge should go up and MJ go down (slowly)

You'd have to do the opposite (drag slider to the MJ side) with the panels out to recharge them

3 minutes ago, wkwied said:

Yup it sounds like the batteries are running out. That engine should only be able to use EC, and with the IFS cap, that needs to be set to convert MJ to EC.

Just make sure you do not run out of MJ.. and unless you stay in sunlight for a really long time, it will take a good while to recharge all the MJ back with only solar power

Batteries are fully charged. I have both stock EC batteries and IFS Caps (and have tried various combinations of them and lithium batteries). The engine is not using them at all.

1 minute ago, wkwied said:

It'll flicker if it is currently getting charge because the status is being updated.

Try this and tell me what happens

- retract solar panels
- run the engine until you are out of EC
-on one cap, drag the slider all the way over to the EC side
- Notate that your EC charge should go up and MJ go down (slowly)

You'd have to do the opposite (drag slider to the MJ side) with the panels out to recharge them

Engines shut off as soon as I close solar panels. Batteries are fully charged.