KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

36 minutes ago, wkwied said:

I don't know then. Are you using any other part mods? Perhaps upload your craft (or tell me all the parts on it so I can rebuild) and I'll try to take a look later.

Only part mods are KSPIE and anything it recommended when installing with CKAN. Edit - also have KIS and KAS installed.

Just built a basic craft. Mk1 command pod, 1000EC battery, large xenon tank, ion engine and 2 gigantor panels.

Use console to put it in orbit. Engine lights up blue but no plume and no thrust (battery fully charged and not being drained by engine). Open panels in sunlight and engine plume fires up and thrust. Close panels and engine plume stops, no thrust. For some reason it's not taking any power from the batteries.

Also, just tried a reactor version in a new sandbox game and that works fine, but a battery craft still doesn't work. It just seems to be batteries that don't work.

Edited by Turbo Ben

14 hours ago, Turbo Ben said:

I'm having trouble again :(

Ion propulsion this time. I can get it to work with solar panels, but the engines stop working when not in direct sunlight. They still glow, but the exhaust stops and there's no thrust. I've tried taking along all sorts of different batteries but nothing seems to work.

What am I doing wrong?

The electric engines work on the basis of provided power. If your power provision only consists out of solar power, you get 0 power in the dark site and therefore 0 trust. I guess I should allow the electric engines to make use of stored energy as well.

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, ZEROX said:

hello there i have a issue as well wehn i install your mod (already have the dep installed) i cant use any air breathing engines the intakes are closed on startup and if i open it it changes nothing the engines still flames out, its the same with modded engines too, MODLIST export through ckan,

its a known problem. For now, I suggest you go back to the previous version of KSPIE

Edited by FreeThinker

13 hours ago, wkwied said:

Yep, I'm able to replicate.

HJWGwTz.pngPanels extended, there is thrust

Redacted, no thrust

pph0qbu.png

Redacted and converting MJ into EC, no thrust 4MYlz5j.png

The problem here that I technically could allow electric charge / megajoule power usage but this might eat up power you might want to resever for more vital systems like life support, control, communication and science instruments. One simple solution would be add a switch which will enable consumption of stored megajoules from capacitators. This would be relatively safe as it would still allow you to keep some reserve capacity for vital systems.

Edited by FreeThinker

Since adding KSPI-Extended to my game, I lost the categories for breaking ground parts.

I can still search for them by name or manufacturer, but I don't seem to find any category to just select them. Is there an easy fix I can make myself, maybe an oversight of mine? Or do I have to wait for a new version? Pretty sure I would miss like half the parts this way. Kind of annoying to manually add them all when I research something new. ;-)

27 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

The problem here that I technically could allow electric charge / megajoule power usage but this might eat up power you might want to resever for more vital systems like life support, control, communication and science instruments. One simple solution would be add a switch which will enable consumption of stored megajoules from capacitators. This would be relatively safe as it would still allow you to keep some reserve capacity for vital systems.

For me, I would prefer a switch in the engine context menu to allow useage of stored EC, or, even better, a slider from 0% - 100% to limit how much of the available stored charge the engine can use i.e. once the engine drains the batteries to 50%, the engines shut off. My main issue is that I'll be out at Jool with my sattelite where the solar energy available is very much reduced. Not being able to use batteries to supplement this means I have to go reactor and generator route, which is overkill for a small survey satellite.

1 hour ago, Turbo Ben said:

For me, I would prefer a switch in the engine context menu to allow useage of stored EC, or, even better, a slider from 0% - 100% to limit how much of the available stored charge the engine can use i.e. once the engine drains the batteries to 50%, the engines shut off. My main issue is that I'll be out at Jool with my sattelite where the solar energy available is very much reduced. Not being able to use batteries to supplement this means I have to go reactor and generator route, which is overkill for a small survey satellite.

Yes I see your problem. I think I'm going with the MJ capacitator route where you can drain available Megajoules and it will properly be shown in the power overview. It should allow you to continue to use an electric engine on the dark side while having sufficient power.

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinkerLove the antimatter reactor idea haha!  I'm also a huge trekkie though.

So need some build advice.  I got like 23000 science from a duna/ike excursion.  So I got to the first level of antimatter reactors with the positron and beam core.  Now in my thinking I went, ok the magnetized fusion got me a 200k kg into orbit so now I should REALLY be able to go places because antimatter is so much more powerful.

So I started testing some crafts.  I stared with a Simple 2.5m Charged Particle Gen, Beam Core reactor, and Plasma Nozzle on liquid fuel.  (I had seen the video below)  I thought that would be enough, but found out maybe not so much.  Now the video is 2 years old, and I read on previous pages the beam core only uses 2 percent for the Plasma Nozzle?  So maybe I need to use a different engine/reactor?  However, once I got it to space the Plasma Nozzle got GREAT! d/v and TWR

So then my brain went, well thermal engines have done well.  So I added 2 positron reactors each with its own thermal turbojet engine @ 2.5.  With two 1.8 sized HTP fuel tanks.  I think it was all about 80k mass at the end of it.  I was surprised that the thermal jets weren't enough to get it into orbit even in HTP mode.  Now the higher I got the more the plasma nozzle kicked in, but still wasn't quite enough.

1.  What would your recommend for a spaceplane SSTO limited to Beam and Positron Antimatter Reactor.  I have access to plasma, thermal, vista engine, and Attila's.  (I know you recommended the nuke lightbulb but its just so freaking big.  I guess I could try that though.)

2.  My attilla's still can't use compressed air.  Is this an upgrade further down the tech tree?

3.  Is there a better reactor to use with the plasma nozzle, or is it just more of a get it into space and let it shine situation.

Eve or Laythe are probably next on my science gathering list lol.  23000 science and I was only able to unlock about 5 nodes because of the level I'm at haha.  LOVE THIS MOD!!!!!!!!!

I try using the VASIMR engine, but it's thermal efficiency keeps dropping even although radiators are installed. I can't figure out how much radiator it needs but I tried to stuck on a bunch.

I'm using a Magnetized fusion power reactor and a generator and the VASIMR thermal efficiency keeps dropping. I can't understand why? I probably don't know all the prerequisites, does anybody know how to properly operate the VASIMR>

Is it possible to have a description of what all the options on the magnetic scoop do? Ionization, magnetic field, pulsation?

I've tried to launch a ship which should be able to generate an unlimited amount of power. It contains:

- singularity reactor
- a beam core reactor and generator (for extra power and to start the singularity)
- a magnetic scoop
- a refrigerator to do the solar wind process
- ample storage for both solid, liquid, and gaseous hydrogen, helium, and liquid helium3
- a Bussard engine

Using this combination, I'm not able to gather any form of hydrogen or helium from the magnetic scoop while running the solar wind process. My orbit is below Eve and below Jool. Even if I use hyperedit to remove all fuel from my craft (aside from antimatter) and use the beam core reactor to make power, I can't get anything. I also can't restart the singularity (after I delete all the fuel, but edit it back in) even if the beam core reactor is pumping out a load of power.

Any help? I'm trying to build a grand tour to everywhere (or at least that can get into orbit of everything)

To those people that can't see the Breaking Ground 'Robotics' category : try uninstalling the Filter Extensions mod if you have it (it's recommended by KSPIE). I was having this issue after a fresh install of Breaking Ground and IIRC removing Filter Extensions solved it for me.

https://kerbalx.com/the-jxjvrq/FTL22

@FreeThinker Would you be able to take a look at this craft? I'm honestly trying to fix this, but I keep running in to more problems than I am finding solutions for!

- In previous posts, I see you refer to the 'bussard magnetic scoop', however the only magnetic scoop I've found in game and in the files is just 'magnetic scoop'. Is this the same one?
- What type of fuel does the beam core antimatter reactor require? Is this only antimatter, or does it require protons and positrons to function as well? If I try to run a craft for over a year with just the beam core and stored antimatter, I receive the message 'ran out of fuel for antimatter' however I'm still able to generate power I think?
- What parts and options do I need to turn on in order to harvest hydrogen, helium, and nitrogen from the solar wind collector? I'm only able to obtain a very trace amount of nitrogen when in a very low solar orbit, and I'm not even able to pull enough hydrogen and/or helium in order to pull a net-gain with generating power/antimatter with the singularity reactor
- On the magnetic scoop, what does the ionization, magnetic field and pulsation options do?

I anticipate your reply. Thanks

14 minutes ago, wkwied said:

- What type of fuel does the beam core antimatter reactor require? Is this only antimatter, or does it require protons and positrons to function as well? If I try to run a craft for over a year with just the beam core and stored antimatter, I receive the message 'ran out of fuel for antimatter' however I'm still able to generate power I think?

It requires Hydrogen as well as Antimatter (either antiprotons or antihydrogen). It's not explicitly stated, but the flavour text implies that it uses the protons from Hydrogen as well as the antiprotons.

If you're able to get antihydrogen and use that as the fuel for it, it converts that into antiprotons+positrons and the positions are not used. If you have storage for positions, they are stored, if not, they are wasted. If you store the positions, you can use them later with collected antiprotons to make more antihydrogen. Antihydrogen storage is much more mass efficient than antiprotons.

30 minutes ago, Sean D said:

It requires Hydrogen as well as Antimatter (either antiprotons or antihydrogen). It's not explicitly stated, but the flavour text implies that it uses the protons from Hydrogen as well as the antiprotons.

If you're able to get antihydrogen and use that as the fuel for it, it converts that into antiprotons+positrons and the positions are not used. If you have storage for positions, they are stored, if not, they are wasted. If you store the positions, you can use them later with collected antiprotons to make more antihydrogen. Antihydrogen storage is much more mass efficient than antiprotons.

I see. That seems to be where I was failing at.

However... now more questions.

So, would it not be correct to state that, the quantum singularity reactor only requires fuel (hydrogen, helium, nitrogen) to output power, antimatter, and positrons?

How does one create antihydrogen?

What is the difference between 'antimatter', 'positrons', and 'antihydrogen'?

Are you able to shed any light on my other questions above, perhaps?
Thanks

@wkwied Check out my guide on the front page.  There is a link in it for a video on the Quantum singularity reactor.  Also the Bussard is the same as the Daedalus engine.  There's also a video on the front page of this thread about them both. Try starting there.

@wkwied Also I'd recommend doing some more testing to see if you can answer some of your own questions.  Make test save in creative mode (even if your main game is creative mode).  I made a craft that had EVERY ISRU on it possible.  I also put a storage container for all of the ores.  I would launch it, then mine, and realize I needed some hydrogen storage for example.  So I'd revert and throw one on.  What you will find is there are 4 main ISRU models that come in both an inline and hex form.  Converter, Refrigerator, Processor, and one other that I can't remember atm.   Then there are two others that I haven't really experimented with.  Right click on each one and click "Toggle Refinery window".  Then you can see what each one makes, and what inputs it needs.  Also many of them have a slider bar.  For example one of the ones for the refrigerator is Compressed air <--> Intake air.  It starts at 0 which means its doing nothing.  If you slide it to the left it will start turning all intake air into compressed air, and visa versa.  That's how all the processors work.                           So take that knowledge, and use the two charts on the front page and play around.  Use the cheat menu to put your craft on different planets and atmospheres to test what you get.  Spend one nights play session doing that and you will probably have a lot less questions.    Also go a few pages back in here and I posted some pictures of me making HTP using the refinery windows.

Edited by flyguybc

4 hours ago, wkwied said:

I see. That seems to be where I was failing at.

However... now more questions.

So, would it not be correct to state that, the quantum singularity reactor only requires fuel (hydrogen, helium, nitrogen) to output power, antimatter, and positrons?

How does one create antihydrogen?

What is the difference between 'antimatter', 'positrons', and 'antihydrogen'?

Are you able to shed any light on my other questions above, perhaps?
Thanks

Sorry, I haven't tried harvesting things from solar wind yet and I don't have access to the game right now (and will not have till tomorrow), so can't test.

The antihydrogen, however, is something I know. It's made by one of the fuel tanks, the most expensive one IIRC. I think it's called Diamagnetic Antimatter Storage or something. Look for a tank that says it stores uncharged Antimatter. The tank has both a storage for antihydrogen and a built in converter that converts large amounts of antiprotons and positrons into a small amount of antihydrogen and which you can store. That same antihydrogen can later be used to produce large amounts of positrons antiprotons, which can then be converted to astronomically large amounts of thrust/energy.

22 hours ago, Rattenmann said:

Is there a version that does not remove Breaking Ground part Categories? Tried to scim trough the last dozen pages, but only found information about this on a reddit post, that has been deleted now.

Update your Filter Extensions to the latest version which they released yesterday. It should fix it.