FreeThinker

[1.7.3/1.6.1/1.5.1/1.4.5/1.3.1] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.23.8 Support Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

I hope we get a patch for the relays soon, really holding me up over here.

Patch is already out, check out KSPIE release thread

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 2:53 PM, 7rex said:

I'm not sure where to post this issue but I figured I'd start here. I seem to have an issue with my atmo engines overheating. My craft is using Squads Sabre and a modded SCRAM jet with both over heating at Mach 3+.

To fix the issue I've used radiators, heat exchanges and Pre-coolers with no change real change in how fast the engines overheat. The SCRAM jet doesn't even get turned on till Mach 4 and when it does they instantly overheat.

Image of the craft in question

I've used this setup before on previous versions of KSP with no real problems (assuming I use the Pre-coolers), so i'm kind of stumped on what to do.

So I've found the issue and I don't pretend to understand the code, but the way it seems to go is in ModuleSabreHeating.cs is there are calculations related to precoolers vs intakes but because the precoolers have intakes included the "cooling" was only being applied to this intake and no others.

This made the intake I put in front of the precooler heat the engines. Remove all intakes (except the ones inbuilt into the precoolers, which can't be removed) and problem solved, no more overheating engines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FreeThinker i'm afraid the resizing bug has not been fixed completely

1) New parts, all OK

PQFJlpO.jpg

 

2) reducing size, difference in thrust

4BJj6AV.jpg

 

3) increasing size to original size, difference in thrust

EKPC5Oj.jpg

 

When removing and re-attaching the nozzle, thrust is shown correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greetings

Three questions
1. What is the purpose for the Torodial Hub?
2. Does the latest version of the mod (1.21.11) only work unger game version 1.7.2?
3. In 1.21.11, has the positron reactor been changed to a thermal antimatter reactor?
3.1 And on this, will there be a variant in the thermal power depensing on the type of antimatter that you use?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm using Interstellar extended version 1.21.10.2 on ksp version 1.5.1. I think I've encountered a bug having to do with waste heat management. During regular game speed my craft will slowly build up waste heat. But when I increase time warp, the rate of waste heat accumulation increase and the capacity of waste heat increases. This creates a situation where my craft won't heat up during time warp, but will heat up during normal game speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, transistor555 said:

Hi, I'm using Interstellar extended version 1.21.10.2 on ksp version 1.5.1. I think I've encountered a bug having to do with waste heat management. During regular game speed my craft will slowly build up waste heat. But when I increase time warp, the rate of waste heat accumulation increase and the capacity of waste heat increases. This creates a situation where my craft won't heat up during time warp, but will heat up during normal game speed.

The scaling of waste heat capacity with time warp is quite intentional. Otherwise, vessels would explode as waste heat production scales up with time warp also.

To your other point though, I have noticed that waste heat scaling at extremely high time warp is slightly off. Leading to the situation you described where waste heat accumulation stops above a certain time warp level. My hunch is that it has to do with rounding errors in stock KSP and very little to do with interstellar itself. 

And it’s always important to remember, with the way interstellar radiators work,  a certain level of waste heat accumulation is normal as they radiate more effectively as waste heat increases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Drtyhppy2 said:

The scaling of waste heat capacity with time warp is quite intentional. Otherwise, vessels would explode as waste heat production scales up with time warp also.

To your other point though, I have noticed that waste heat scaling at extremely high time warp is slightly off. Leading to the situation you described where waste heat accumulation stops above a certain time warp level. My hunch is that it has to do with rounding errors in stock KSP and very little to do with interstellar itself. 

And it’s always important to remember, with the way interstellar radiators work,  a certain level of waste heat accumulation is normal as they radiate more effectively as waste heat increases. 

Wouldn't waste heat radiating from the radiators also scale with time warp, therefore keeping the temperature steady once it reached equilibrium? it just doesn't make sense to me that a craft would heat up the same rate in normal speed as it would in time warp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I know it seems a bit awkward and counterintuitive at first, but it works the way it does to deal with deficiencies in the stock KSP heat system and the way resource production scales with time warp.

I believe that simply scaling up radiator dissipation during time warp would still lead to waste heat maxing out and exploding before the radiator dissipated the heat. 

Probably due to the fact that KSP treats it as a resource and not a form of energy.

Of course @FreeThinker can always explain better than me. :)

Edited by Drtyhppy2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, wkwied said:

Greetings

Three questions
1. What is the purpose for the Torodial Hub?
2. Does the latest version of the mod (1.21.11) only work unger game version 1.7.2?
3. In 1.21.11, has the positron reactor been changed to a thermal antimatter reactor?
3.1 And on this, will there be a variant in the thermal power depensing on the type of antimatter that you use?

Thanks

1 The Torodial Hub is used in combination with the Positron or Antimatter storage ring. The Hub is connected inline to the Vessel while the Rings are attached inline to the the hub.

IPtAe3K.png

2 There is also a version compiled against KSP 1.6.1, which probably works as well

3 Its still has the  title Positron Antimtter reactor but  it will accept any type of antomatter. Positrons are relatively cheap but harder to store in large quantities. AntiHydrogen is the most dense and economical  form of antimatter storage but is very dangerous (it doesn't geforce shocks) , Regular antimatter is in between

4 Well currently no, but if radiation is taken into account yes as positron antimater is a lot cleaner

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I use the thermal power generated by slaves in a beamed power network? If I have an inline thermal receiver connected to a thermal generator or a thermal nozzle, and radially attach other thermal receivers to the inline receivers directly, the latter become slaves and their power output shows up in the inline generator's menu as 'slaves power'.' But the generator or the nozzle only use thermal power from the inline generator and the 'slaves power' is totally unused and it doesn't appear anywhere in the KSPIE menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the 'FNGCMS' part (gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer experiment) and 'FNLCMS' part disabled in 1.21.11.4?

They're present in \GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Utility\, but my rockets that use the FNGCMS experiment are marked as containing invalid parts, and neither of the parts are anywhere that I can find the tech tree after updating KSP and Interstellar Extended using multiple searches. The Gamma Ray experiement is present, so Interstellar Extended is loading properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, I've encountered a problem with the Thermal Electric Fission Reactor, where it stops generating electric charge when loading a save.

So far, i work around this problem by going to the tracking station and back again to the mission, and the generator is back online.

In this screnshot, I built a thermal rocket BFR-ish, and it relies on the reactor's generator to power the ship. You'll observe the EC bar is 25%, but it should always stay maxed al 100%.

Cheers to all, and thanks for this great mod!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, luke-lukem said:

Hi everyone, I've encountered a problem with the Thermal Electric Fission Reactor, where it stops generating electric charge when loading a save.

So far, i work around this problem by going to the tracking station and back again to the mission, and the generator is back online.

In this screnshot, I built a thermal rocket BFR-ish, and it relies on the reactor's generator to power the ship. You'll observe the EC bar is 25%, but it should always stay maxed al 100%.

Cheers to all, and thanks for this great mod!!

Could you show Power management screen and vessel resources? Also please check your log on any exception generated by KSPI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi ... 

I am struggling to figure out a stable power configuration and fuel type that will attain the advertised 140 kN thrust for the ELF plasma engine... 

At best, with a 3.75 beam antimatter reactor, a direct conversion unit  and LH2 as propellant  (leaving the engine at 2.5 m) --- i get max thrust of about 90 kN in deep space which rapidly drops as the overheat efficiency reduces as well and stabilizes to about half the max value ... ( i get half that when matching sizes to 2.5 m)

I am interested in a recommendation on best practices to maximize yield on that engine --- will post pics in a little bit

Edited by pp3d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also ... 1.21.11.4 reintroduced reversing the kerbol-centric velocity vector when warping out of an SOI 

 

Just now, pp3d said:

also ... 1.21.11.4 reintroduced reversing the kerbol-centric velocity vector when warping out of an SOI 

 

download from spacedock

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 6:59 AM, pp3d said:

also ... 1.21.11.4 reintroduced reversing the kerbol-centric velocity vector when warping out of an SOI

Did you have any planet pack installed?

Btw, Have you used the autocircularize method, it should solve most of our troubles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 6:05 PM, Sean D said:

How do I use the thermal power generated by slaves in a beamed power network? If I have an inline thermal receiver connected to a thermal generator or a thermal nozzle, and radially attach other thermal receivers to the inline receivers directly, the latter become slaves and their power output shows up in the inline generator's menu as 'slaves power'.' But the generator or the nozzle only use thermal power from the inline generator and the 'slaves power' is totally unused and it doesn't appear anywhere in the KSPIE menu.

Sorry to bump this, but I still don't see the point. Are the slaves only used for receiving beamed power when the master can not receive any power to to facing?

 

Also, I can't figure out how the electric power that's supposed to be generated by slaves when put in electric mode works. Much like thermal power generated by slaves, most of the electric power also vanishes and doesn't do anything. Even if I have something really power hungry like a  positron factory, the receivers don't generate anywhere near the advertised amount of megajoules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sean D said:

Sorry to bump this, but I still don't see the point. Are the slaves only used for receiving beamed power when the master can not receive any power to to facing?

No beamed power  favors the receiver the the highest efficiency of collecting beamed power energy, which is usualy the one with the largest diameter or most favorable receive angle.

The general idea is that the slaves do the work for their master (collecting thermal energy). The slaves need to collect natrual solar energy or artifical solar energy (beamed  power), which it then gives to the master (inline thermal receiver) which the master can then to make a profit (thermal propulsion or electric power generation).

The Slaves must be connected directly or indirecly with and intermediate part radially attached. For example, you could put a robotic pivot aim a 10 m thermal receiver dish to face the front or the back of the vessel.

The slaves should provide their energy to the master unconditional, if they aren't there is problem (bug) and we need to apply disciplinary action (create a bug report)

1 hour ago, Sean D said:

Also, I can't figure out how the electric power that's supposed to be generated by slaves when put in electric mode works. Much like thermal power generated by slaves, most of the electric power also vanishes and doesn't do anything. Even if I have something really power hungry like a  positron factory, the receivers don't generate anywhere near the advertised amount of megajoules.

in general is is not recommend to use thermal receivers for electric generate generation as the is a lot of loss. Instead you should try to use rectennas which convert beamed energy for a specific bandwith directly into energy. Simialr photovoltalic do the same but at wider bandwith be all lower efficiencies. Thermal Receiver offer the maximum bandwith as it can receive any type of beamed power, including x-rays, but it also has the lowest efficiencies. If you want more flexibility at high efficienies, you should use the multi spectrum disshes, but they are considerable heavier, but they can also relay (with receiver and transmitter dish) or pump additional power into the network.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Did you have any planet pack installed?

Btw, Have you used the autocircularize method, it should solve most of our troubles

No planet pack... Kopernicus has not released an update yet for 1.7.2

i don't understand how autocircularize can address this... you had ID the problem in the develocitize method in a previous release and fixed it... I am wondering if the fix is in place here (in the source code)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, pp3d said:

i don't understand how autocircularize can address this... you had ID the problem in the develocitize method in a previous release and fixed it... I am wondering if the fix is in place here (in the source code)

Was auto circularization active or not? when active the direction it auto circularized might be wrong under some circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Was auto circularization active or not? when active the direction it auto circularized might be wrong under some circumstances.

checking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it was... setting it to false works... thanks ... this is great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple items related to KSP:IE.

First: The discord link isn't valid. You need to change it to an Instant Invite link.

Second: I'm getting really weird behavior from the Microwave Transducer. It really really wants to start in the deployed configuration. I have to set it to be extended in the VAB to get it to NOT be extended on the launch pad. Except it doesn't actually render as extended in the VAB. It does the animation to extend... and then reverses the animation, but leaves the toggles set as if it was extended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, utoxin said:

First: The discord link isn't valid. You need to change it to an Instant Invite link.

Ok, does this link work?

If you want to chat about KSP Interstellar you can do it at our KSP Interstellar Discord Server

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sure this is asked before--- but the usage of 'liquid' water instead of water --- adds some unnecessary complexity... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.