KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

5 hours ago, Hallebumba said:

is it normal that the Krusader Thermal Rocket Nozzle 23 has no fuel options?  current propellant is empty in the right click menu in the editor and i can't switch it. also there does not seem to be a "propellant module" in the part cfg

propellant module ? I'm not aware of anything like that. I think you are confused with some other mod

So I decided to see how well KSPI would peform in the enviroment of RSS/RO, warp drive results were a little... strange. Each time I arrived at a planet, I would get a near perfect orbit, instead of the expected large velocity difference from warping in-between planets. I went Earth>Pluto>Neptune>Mercury, all good orbits

Is it due to the sheer size of RSS confusing things, or am I mis-remembering how the drive works?

EDIT: Nevermind, was told about auto-circularize, that wasn't a thing before. Interesting.

Edited by The Destroyer

I am having a problem with the Pelican VTO engine.  As well as the thermo nozzle.  Both engines list what they're capable of before I put them on the plane, but once i do, and I try to switch propellant either in the SPH or on the runway it's the same result.  I can't.  The button propellant window pulls up a small box with 3 dots but it's empty.  Next propellant does nothing.  They activate and flame out but there is no message saying flame out.  I'm assuming it's a mod interaction issue, so I'm going to try removing all mods except the dependencies for this and double check, however it's done this since 1.7.3 for me when I first installed KSP.  (Late to the game I know).  I would do a screenshot, but I have yet to figure out how....... lol. 

On 11/16/2019 at 1:36 PM, StoneWolfPC said:

I am having a problem with the Pelican VTO engine.  As well as the thermo nozzle.  Both engines list what they're capable of before I put them on the plane, but once i do, and I try to switch propellant either in the SPH or on the runway it's the same result.  I can't.  The button propellant window pulls up a small box with 3 dots but it's empty.  Next propellant does nothing.  They activate and flame out but there is no message saying flame out.  I'm assuming it's a mod interaction issue, so I'm going to try removing all mods except the dependencies for this and double check, however it's done this since 1.7.3 for me when I first installed KSP.  (Late to the game I know).  I would do a screenshot, but I have yet to figure out how....... lol. 

I suggest you upload images with imgur at https://imgur.com/upload

On 4/24/2019 at 8:40 PM, FreeThinker said:

Liquid Water and Drinking water can be converted into each other. Liquid Water represent a more raw kind of bulk water resource which is intended for propulsion. Water (aka drinking water)  always have been known as essential life support resource, keeping your Kerbals alive. The reason they are separate resources has to do with the fact that you  don't  want to accidentally mix them up by for example exhaust them as a propellant which would kill your Kerbals after a day if your are in space or non terrestrial celestial body, and we don't want that do we?

On 4/25/2019 at 2:47 AM, Snoman314 said:

OK, that makes a lot of sense about preventing using the drinking water as propellant. It took me a minute, but I've now spotted how to convert between the two.

I was going to go back and be more specific about which parts, but looking at it now, it's literally every single fuel tank that isn't from this mod. 

Edit: OK, acting on a hunch (I was wondering why you would ask me "Exactly what parts are missing KSPIE fuels?"), I removed the Cryo Tanks mod, and voila! KSPI style fuel options for all fuel tanks!

Hi

Im facing the same problem, converting drinking water (from ocean extraction) to liquid water (for H2 and O2 production and later H2O2). But even after hours i did not manage to figure out how to convert them into each other. Does someone know how to?

Thanks

4 hours ago, Skavaro said:

Hi

Im facing the same problem, converting drinking water (from ocean extraction) to liquid water (for H2 and O2 production and later H2O2). But even after hours i did not manage to figure out how to convert them into each other. Does someone know how to?

Thanks

Hey freeThinker understand 1000x times more than me :), but trying to help, I would say that you should use KspiLiquidficator (to convert water into lqd water) but this needs (NEEDS[UniversalStorage] mod)

@Skavaro It's under "Utility", called: "Universal Liquidficator"

Edited by pmborg

16 hours ago, Skavaro said:

Hi

Thanks

Spoiler

d91a3d212cf4487d2be6342bed73aaea.png

Hi.

It looks like the Vista Fusion Engine lost all it's power moving from 1.24.3.4  TO  1.24.3.5.

Used to get 800kN thrust.  Now just 34-35nK, even with large radiators and a powerful antimatter reactor.

The new Vista Engine doesn't seem to generate much power anymore.

Please see the screenshots.  Thanks!

1.8.png

1.7.png

6 hours ago, enewmen said:

Hi.

It looks like the Vista Fusion Engine lost all it's power moving from 1.24.3.4  TO  1.24.3.5.

Used to get 800kN thrust.  Now just 34-35nK, even with large radiators and a powerful antimatter reactor.

The new Vista Engine doesn't seem to generate much power anymore.

Please see the screenshots.  Thanks!

1.8.png

1.7.png

The Problem appears that you are providing the VISTA engine with too little power. Considering the fUsion ratio of 0.043, you only provide it with 51.6 MW while it should be fed by 1500 MW to provide full power.

14 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

The Problem appears that you are providing the VISTA engine with too little power. Considering the fUsion ratio of 0.043, you only provide it with 51.6 MW while it should be fed by 1500 MW to provide full power.

I think I found another problem.

I'm able to run the Vista at FULL power with NO reactors on board..  I disable the reactor, then I can get 800kN from the Vista.  I did this before thinking there is a reactor built-in to the Vista  engine fusing liquid deuterium & liquid tritium, then got full power.  With a reactor giving power, I need a VERY Powerful > 1GW to get good thrust.  If another reactor is necessary, then I don't see any advantage over the Plasma Wakefield Accelerator.

The screenshot shows how I got the 800kN.  I just disabled the Antimatter and CP.

vista.png

On 11/20/2019 at 11:30 AM, FreeThinker said:

I suggest you upload images with imgur at https://imgur.com/upload

Thanks!  Actually it isn't this mod, and I figured it out.  I was using the wrong configuration.  Also had a couple mods that seemed to be overlapping and corrected so everything is working as intended.  Btw, I love the warp drive!  Actually I just love your mods. :D

15 hours ago, enewmen said:

If another reactor is necessary, then I don't see any advantage over the Plasma Wakefield Accelerator.

What you need to understand is that the VISTA is an external inertial fusion engine, which requires electric power like any electric engine but it significantly increased the effective thrust power output. Power output is the effective energy value of thrust times exhaust velocity. The VISTA full power output is 0.5 *1600 000 N *152000 m/s = 121.6 GW power output! If the power input is only 1 GW, it multiplies the output by more than 100 times, that pretty good by any measure

Edited by FreeThinker

Where is the calculated DV? Granted when in atmospheric-mode this shouldn't be a concern but when using LOX in a vacuum there should be something right?

Side Note: The Nose assembly is from SABR3 SSTO engine mod. It has a rather nice Intake and intercooler that can generate LOX.

49118729176_3e8d995cad_k.jpg

Edited by Redacted

So @FreeThinker I notice that KSPIE comes with the IXS cockpit... tried to do my own version of that artist's rendition of the warp ship that's been going around the internet - I got it to work although mine's a bit uglier since artists don't understand heat radiators or apparently the need for ejection mass, etc... so anyway, I got it to work, but I have some minor issues regarding the IXS cockpit:

1. it has another type of electrical resource "kilowatt hours" - why?  this seems out of place in the mod?
2. the cockpit lights don't work
3. the little door on the front works but I'm not sure what this is intended for.. there's no ladder that comes down from it, is it supposed to be like an airlock or something for EVA?

despite those issues, the craft works, using two 3.75m "large" alcubierre drives, two 3.75m beam-core antimatter reactors, and two 3.75m charged particle electric generators.. plus 4 more beam core reactors and plasma nozzles for sublight propulsion.  thing weighs about 1250t and can accelerate at 6G, and obviously go faster than light as well... :)

22 hours ago, Redacted said:

Where is the calculated DV? Granted when in atmospheric-mode this shouldn't be a concern but when using LOX in a vacuum there should be something right?

Side Note: The Nose assembly is from SABR3 SSTO engine mod. It has a rather nice Intake and intercooler that can generate LOX.

49118729176_3e8d995cad_k.jpg

I think it's a KER problem.  MJ2's dV view can calculate dV for KSPIE engines correctly, but only when a non-atmospheric propellant mode is selected.

21 hours ago, ss8913 said:

1. it has another type of electrical resource "kilowatt hours" - why?  this seems out of place in the mod?

The conception goal of this cockpit is to provide a high amount of survivability from atmospheric heat, crash and heat death in the form of long lasting batteries in the case of  power reactor failure.

Edited by FreeThinker

FreeThinker I LOVE your mod. BUT I have one issue... When using the cargo containers and inflatable fuel/gas tanks they fill themselves up after being emptied in the editor. For example I'll empty them all, save, then reload the craft and they will be full again. The same happens if the flight is reverted to the SPH/VAB they go from empty to full. Is there anyway to fix this? Thank you!

Edit: should have been more specific. It occurs with the IFS inflatable storage tank for both liquids and gasses, the IFS cargo containers, as well as the IFS radioactive fuel container. I do hate to complain as I deeply admire the hard work you've put into this mod, which is time consuming and difficult, I've done a small amount of modding myself. But it's just a wee bit annoying to constantly have to empty about 2 dozen containers/tanks when editing my mobile miner/refinery. If it's a limitation you can't fix. No worries, I'll still love you. I'm not sure I could play KSP without KSPIE. You make the game worth playing!! Thank you for your hard work!!

Edited by maxs139
Added details

On 11/26/2019 at 11:15 AM, FreeThinker said:

The conception goal of this cockpit is to provide a high amount of survivability from atmospheric heat, crash and heat death in the form of long lasting batteries in the case of  power reactor failure.

it does seem to do exactly that, yes :)  i guess the only real 'bug' here is that the cockpit lights don't work.  not sure how hard that is to fix or if it's worth doing..?

I'm having a bit of an issue with the stock jets and precooler. Basically all the stock jets, including whiplash and panther begin to overheat at like 1000m/s at about 10km altitude. The problem is that this behaviour doesn't seem to change at all when I add precoolers. Am I adding them in the wrong place? Currently there's one just in front of each engine. Also right clicking on the engine in flight the pop-up window has a line that says: "Missing precooler ratio=1", which is the same value I get when no precooler is installed at all.

2 minutes ago, A35K said:

I'm having a bit of an issue with the stock jets and precooler. Basically all the stock jets, including whiplash and panther begin to overheat at like 1000m/s at about 10km altitude. The problem is that this behaviour doesn't seem to change at all when I add precoolers. Am I adding them in the wrong place? Currently there's one just in front of each engine. Also right clicking on the engine in flight the pop-up window has a line that says: "Missing precooler ratio=1", which is the same value I get when no precooler is installed at all.

precoolers should be put near the air intake