FreeThinker

[1.7.3/1.6.1/1.5.1/1.4.5/1.3.1] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.23.8 Support Thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SimonTheSkink said:

Yes, I tried various ships in vanilla mode and with Interstellar Extended. After multiple tests and trying different parts, thrust dropped to 0 when the "KSPI-E Fuel Tank Adapter" (3.5m to 5m) was present, but only after applying around 1,750 to 1,830 Delta-V when doing an escape trajectory from Kerbin. The tanks were loaded with Lqd Hydrogen, doubt this makes any difference but I figured you should know. If you would like me to conduct some tests to help out, I would be more then happy too. Just let me know.

 
 

Interesting, but I need to be sure it is truly a IFS problem. Now the important question is, was IFS responsible for the tank fuel contents, or another fuel switch mod. To determine, could you please make a screenshot of the right click menu?

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Interesting, but I need to be sure it is truly a IFS problem. Now the important question is, was IFS responsible for the tank fuel contents, or another fuel switch mod. To determine, could you please make a screenshot of the right click menu?

Sure thing, I will also follow up with a video to show the bug from beginning to end. Just give me some time to get home from work, will be another six hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, something has changed, ISRU conversion processes now require resources to be in their gas state. You need to use Universal Storage gasifier or  Inline/ Hex-module ISRU  Refrigerator to convert between gas and liquid state.

Umm... A couple of issues with these and by the way thank you for taking the time.

I do not see anything that converts NH3 to LqNH3. NH3 is of course useful as it could be used to feed it in the peroxide process and build hydrazine. But if I want to liquify NH3 and store it in a tank, that is not something that I see as feasible. Perhaps I am missing something in IFS.

The behavior that I see for the Inline/Hex Refrigerator is that of an absorber (not much different than that of the scoop) that will liquify gas from an atmosphere. I do not see a functionality where if I have gas in a tank, the refrigerator will convert it to the liquid state and store it in another tank. If there is tutorial someplace, please let me know.

I am not sure what part you are referring to: Universal Storage Gasifier. If it's in the mod Universal Storage - I just downloaded it and I will check it out. 

I can post video of how I am trying to check all this and perhaps it can illustrate it better. 

For disclosure purposes I am running 1.12.22 rather than 1.12.24 (or the latest). The reason is the ISRUConstructor part which at some point, I believe in between 12.12-12.14, had it's name changed in the part.cfg. Unfortunately I placed it on a ship currently on a mission and subsequent updates (after the name changed) will flag that part and would not load that ship. So I manually change the name field in part.cfg during each update which keeps the ship alive, but I could be messing something up (see below)

ISRUConstructor part.cfg (blue new, red old) (I replace ISRU_Converter -> SmallISRUConstructor which allows the ship to load).

PART

{
name = ISRU_Converter
module = Part
author = EvilGeorge

mesh = small-isru.mu

PART
{
name = SmallISRUConstructor
module = Part
author = EvilGeorge

mesh = small-isru.mu

Edited by pp3d
typos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, pp3d said:

I do not see anything that converts NH3 to LqNH3. NH3 is of course useful as it could be used to feed it in the peroxide process and build hydrazine. But if I want to liquify NH3 and store it in a tank, that is not something that I see as feasible.

 

It appears you are right and a converter for LqdAmmonia  <=> Ammonia is missing.

To fix it, you can add it yourself by adding

	MODULE
	{
		name = InterstellarResourceConverter
		primaryResourceNames = LqdAmmonia
		secondaryResourceNames = Ammonia
		requiresPrimaryLocalInEditor = false
		requiresPrimaryLocalInFlight = false
		maxPowerPrimary = 1000
		maxPowerSecondary = 1000
		primaryConversionEnergyCost = 161.14 // tmp
		secondaryConversionEnergyCost = 93 // tmp
	}

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

It appears you are right and a converter for LqdAmmonia  <=> Ammonia is missing.

To fix it, you can add it yourself by adding


	MODULE
	{
		name = InterstellarResourceConverter
		primaryResourceNames = LqdAmmonia
		secondaryResourceNames = Ammonia
		requiresPrimaryLocalInEditor = false
		requiresPrimaryLocalInFlight = false
		maxPowerPrimary = 1000
		maxPowerSecondary = 1000
		primaryConversionEnergyCost = 161.14 // tmp
		secondaryConversionEnergyCost = 93 // tmp
	}

 

thanks ... will give it a try tonight... i appreciate all your good work on this... and thank you again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@FreeThinkerAdditionally, here is a video I put together very quickly to show the issue in action. I apologize if it seems sloppy, but I think it gets the idea across fairly well. Feel free to skip ahead to the actual bug near the end, the beginning is just to show that this is a simple build.

 

Edited by SimonTheSkink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For some reason the thermal electric generator amasses 10,000 tons instead of the usual 6. This was after I redownloaded the mod.Qh7YWlV.png

Edit: Despite having set up that produces enormous amounts of power (180MW) the All-In-One ISRU claims that the power levels are insufficient, and refuses to operate.

Edited by SaturnianBlue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SimonTheSkink said:

@FreeThinkerAdditionally, here is a video I put together very quickly to show the issue in action. I apologize if it seems sloppy, but I think it gets the idea across fairly well. Feel free to skip ahead to the actual bug near the end, the beginning is just to show that this is a simple build.

 

Very Nice video, it indeed shows a scaled up version of the thank cause it to become negative when getting empty.

14 hours ago, SaturnianBlue said:

For some reason the thermal electric generator amasses 10,000 tons instead of the usual 6. This was after I redownloaded the mod.Qh7YWlV.png

Edit: Despite having set up that produces enormous amounts of power (180MW) the All-In-One ISRU claims that the power levels are insufficient, and refuses to operate.

Do you have Near Future Electrics installed?

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Very Nice video, it indeed shows a scaled up version of the thank cause it to become negative when getting empty.

Do you have Near Future Electrics installed?

Yep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SimonTheSkink said:

@FreeThinkerAdditionally, here is a video I put together very quickly to show the issue in action. I apologize if it seems sloppy, but I think it gets the idea across fairly well. Feel free to skip ahead to the actual bug near the end, the beginning is just to show that this is a simple build.

 

I could not reproduce with latest beta release. Could you check if its still a problem with a new vessel?

18 hours ago, pp3d said:

thanks ... will give it a try tonight... i appreciate all your good work on this... and thank you again

I have included the fix in the latest bata which can be found on the developmeny page

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/4/2017 at 9:53 AM, FreeThinker said:

Have you noticed the Threshold on engine interface. Your rockets needs to overcome the static pressure threshold to generate any meaningful thrust, where are you located? looks like Eve, which has a high surface pressure (5 times as high a Kerbin). To overcome this problem, make sure your vessel is equipped with an air intake

I was located on Duna. Even with an air intake、 I have zero thrust. Even in orbit the situation doesn't change:https://www.dropbox.com/s/ri5hjl2qqofz9z2/screenshot429.png?dl=0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LastStarDust said:

I was located on Duna. Even with an air intake、 I have zero thrust. Even in orbit the situation doesn't change:https://www.dropbox.com/s/ri5hjl2qqofz9z2/screenshot429.png?dl=0

At closer inspection I noticed there must be at least 2 transmitters active, one that is very far away and another close. Perhaps the long distance transmitter (with huge spotsize) is overruling the close range transmitter.  Try to disable the transmitter at long distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question: which are the best non-antimatter/singularity reactors for pairing with the plasma/magnetic nozzles? Is it the tri alpha? If I understand it right, I'd need lightest reactor that can produce the more charged particles, right? Which also means using a fusion mode with He3, which are the modes that produce the more charged particles. Also, since they need charged particles, power beam networks aren't useful for those engines, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't get beamed power working. It's possibly the same problem as LastStarDust, but I can't tell.

I unzipped a vanilla KSP 1.2.2, and installed nothing but KSPI-E mandatory components via CKAN.

Then I built two simple ships for static testing, and still can't get them working. All the numbers look right AFAIK, except for Effective Thermal Power rapidly dropping to zero. But maybe I'm just missing something. It's been a long time since I played with KSPI beamed power. It wasn't easy then, either. :)

Here are my ships. Launch one from SPH and the other from VAB.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/19s6ezupg8ouv3w/Test Ships.zip?dl=0

Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, juanml82 said:

Question: which are the best non-antimatter/singularity reactors for pairing with the plasma/magnetic nozzles? Is it the tri alpha? If I understand it right, I'd need lightest reactor that can produce the more charged particles, right? Which also means using a fusion mode with He3, which are the modes that produce the more charged particles. Also, since they need charged particles, power beam networks aren't useful for those engines, right?

 

No, the Magnetic Confinement Reactor (either Spherical or Stellerator) is mend for this, it is a bit bulky but has a wide range of fusion modes which allow excellent Plasma or  Magnetic Nozzle propulsion.

The Tri Alpha is purely mend for electric propulsion or function as a standby reactor requiring no power when unused

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Thorbane said:

Is Methane supposed to be 6.6 times as expensive as LiquidFuel per unit mass?

The cost of methane was established by @NathanKell for KSP Real Fuels. If you think it's too high, ask him, I would like to know why it is so high.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for this wonderful mod!!! I have just downloaded a copy and am set to start incorporating it in my RSS/RO late-game carreer-mode!

however I am running into an issue related to planetary resources: I had the Moon fully scanned for resources and had landed a water extracting craft - after installing KSPIE it would appear as if the water had vanished!

is KSPIE touching anything related to planetary resources and their locations in planetary surfaces?

many thanks in advance!!!

Edited by hypervelocity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another observation on Beamed power.

Basic setup is:

One Station with a mw generator and a "Multi Bandwidth Dish Transciever (Large)" as transmitter. Wall to beam @ 45GW

One recieving craft at KSP with a Multi Bandwidth Dish Transciever (Shielded).

One Relay satelite with: 

  1. Multi Bandwidth Dish Transciever (Large) at default size. (power capacity 50 000MW)
  2. Microwave Phased Array Relay Transciever at default size (power capacity 10 000MW).
  3. Microwave Phased Array Relay Transciever at default size (power capacity 10 000MW).
  4. Microwave Phased Array Relay Transciever scaled up (power capacity 40 000MW). 

Situation a: Feeding directly of the station, the target craft recieves about 8000MW.

Situation b: Relayed with #2 as linked reciever for relay and #1 as relay -> 260MJ recieved at target.

Situation c: Relayed with #2 as linked reciever for relay and #3 as relay -> 4MJ recieved at target.

Situation d: Relayed with #2 as linked reciever for relay and #4 as relay -> 4MJ recieved at target!?

Situation c: Relayed with #2 as linked reciever for relay and #4 + #1  as relay -> 1500MJ recieved at target!?

Situation d: Relayed with #2 as linked reciever for relay and #4+ #1 + #3  as relay -> 5678MJ recieved at target!?

 

Expected result in scenario d would be slightly less than scenario b (around 200MJ, perhaps?).

Expected result in situation C and D would be ????

 

My conclusion is that when only using the scaled up #4 as relay - it does not use the scaled up values, only the default/normal ones. Also, there seems to be some weird multiplying going on when using one linked relay reciever and several relay transmitters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everybody,

Did any of you encounter a spam of debug exceptions "Warning: ORS - did not find manager for vessel"? I wouldn't have noticed it myself but it caused a severe performance drop on each of my vessels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ja222 said:

Hey everybody,

Did any of you encounter a spam of debug exceptions "Warning: ORS - did not find manager for vessel"? I wouldn't have noticed it myself but it caused a severe performance drop on each of my vessels. 

 

Problem is fixed in the latest beta release 1.13 which can be downloaded from here

15 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

is KSPIE touching anything related to planetary resources and their locations in planetary surfaces?

1

yes, there is no water on the mun, there are however hydrates near the poles and allegedly there might be some waterice in the polar mun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tobbs said:

Another observation on Beamed power.

Basic setup is:

One Station with a mw generator and a "Multi Bandwidth Dish Transciever (Large)" as transmitter. Wall to beam @ 45GW

One recieving craft at KSP with a Multi Bandwidth Dish Transciever (Shielded).

One Relay satelite with: 

  1. Multi Bandwidth Dish Transciever (Large) at default size. (power capacity 50 000MW)
  2. Microwave Phased Array Relay Transciever at default size (power capacity 10 000MW).
  3. Microwave Phased Array Relay Transciever at default size (power capacity 10 000MW).
  4. Microwave Phased Array Relay Transciever scaled up (power capacity 40 000MW). 

Situation a: Feeding directly of the station, the target craft recieves about 8000MW.

Situation b: Relayed with #2 as linked reciever for relay and #1 as relay -> 260MJ recieved at target.

Situation c: Relayed with #2 as linked reciever for relay and #3 as relay -> 4MJ recieved at target.

Situation d: Relayed with #2 as linked reciever for relay and #4 as relay -> 4MJ recieved at target!?

Situation c: Relayed with #2 as linked reciever for relay and #4 + #1  as relay -> 1500MJ recieved at target!?

Situation d: Relayed with #2 as linked reciever for relay and #4+ #1 + #3  as relay -> 5678MJ recieved at target!?

 

Expected result in scenario d would be slightly less than scenario b (around 200MJ, perhaps?).

Expected result in situation C and D would be ????

 

My conclusion is that when only using the scaled up #4 as relay - it does not use the scaled up values, only the default/normal ones. Also, there seems to be some weird multiplying going on when using one linked relay reciever and several relay transmitters.

 
 

Not sure how you use 2#  a phased arrays as linked receiver, they supposed only to be able to operate as directly relay.

On 30-4-2017 at 11:53 PM, LastStarDust said:

I was located on Duna. Even with an air intake、 I have zero thrust. Even in orbit the situation doesn't change:https://www.dropbox.com/s/ri5hjl2qqofz9z2/screenshot429.png?dl=0

Problem is solved with latest beta which can be downloaded from here

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Not sure how you use 2#  a phased arrays as linked receiver, they supposed only to be able to operate as directly relay.

MW_beamrelay_TestRig.PNG?dl=1

They can be set/used as "Link Reciever for relay". Are they supposed to be used as standalone relays?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tobbs said:

MW_beamrelay_TestRig.PNG?dl=1

They can be set/used as "Link Reciever for relay". Are they supposed to be used as standalone relays?

 

Yes, that is the phased array inherent advantage, a single part is all that is needed (for microwave relaying). the fact that you can link them is a bug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.