FreeThinker

[1.7.3/1.6.1/1.5.1/1.4.5/1.3.1] KSP Interstellar Extended 1.23.8 Support Thread

Recommended Posts

I have suggestion: Engine perfomance should depend not only on % of waste heat, but on radiator temperatures too.

For example if I use titanum or graphene radiators and wasteheat is on 50% of capacity then engine should have better perfomance if non-graphene radiator is present, meaning its connected to lower temp wasteheat circuit.

 

 

Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Problem is fixed in the latest beta release 1.13 which can be downloaded from here

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

 

 
Not signed in
 
Not signed in

Titanium radiator indeed perform less when at high altitude, but how do they perform at sea level compared to graphene radiators

5 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

I have suggestion: Engine perfomance should depend not only on % of waste heat, but on radiator temperatures too.

For example if I use titanum or graphene radiators and wasteheat is on 50% of capacity then engine should have better perfomance if non-graphene radiator is present, meaning its connected to lower temp wasteheat circuit.

 
 

Could you explain this further by an example ..

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Titanium radiator indeed perform less when at high altitude, but how do they perform at sea level compared to graphene radiators

Could you explain this further by an example ..

I meant electrical engines perform worse with radiator, that has lower max temperature, as I posted in screenshot above.

 

Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I meant electrical engines perform worse with radiator, that has lower max temperature, as I posted in screenshot above.

mm, I think It would be better If I just limit maximum temperature of graphene radiator depending on atmospheric preasure, that way the titanium radiators will show there true performance advantage.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I meant electrical engines perform worse with radiator, that has lower max temperature, as I posted in screenshot above.

 

 
 
 

Ah, I see what you mean now, looking at wasteheat saturation is unfair for titanium radiator because at same temperatures they have higher wasteheat saturation. It should therefore look at maximum temperature.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@raxo2222 Btw, what do you think of the concept of convector radiator, which are radiators specialised in convection.

Also do you like the new flat kin radiators?

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@raxo2222 Btw, what do you think of the concept of convector radiator, which are radiators specialised in convection.

Also do you like the new flat kin radiators?

I like them. They are very useful for keeping fusion thermal engines cool, as these needs MWs power to maintain.

But once you are in GW scale (electrical engines with 2.5m sizer radiators) they just can't keep up.

And with flat radiators craft looks better :D

Also this would be absolute maximum of currently best available radaiators.

That means even with 99% wasteheat saturation and titanum radiators only engines still should easily work, as they completely shutdown at 3700 K with best upgraded radiators.

 

Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I like them. They are very useful for keeping fusion thermal engines cool, as these needs MWs power to maintain.

But once you are in GW scale (electrical engines with 2.5m sizer radiators) they just can't keep up.

 
 
1

Yes but for their size, they have a very large heat processing capacity (currently 100 times their surface capacity)

 

18 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

And with flat radiatirs craft looks better :D

1

Indeed, only thing missing might be some triangular shaped versions

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

That means even with 99% wasteheat saturation and titanum radiators only engines still should easily work, as they completely shutdown at 3700 K with best upgraded radiators.

3

Correct, with the exception that maximum temperature would depends on wasteheat processing technoly, which means that electric engines performance always benefit for improvements in waste heat technology.

The same should apply to all electrical devices that produce high amount of power, including beamed electric power,  warp power

5 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Looks like refrigator ISRU doesn't have compressed gas buffer.

mmm, yes, since that one of it main tasks, it makes a lot of sence it has a dedicated buffer.

Btw, what do you think of the switchable Liquid/Gas buffer. My idea is to allow a wide range of matching resources without the resource spam. I plan something similar for the ISRU processor, allowing you to perform ISRU processing without all the intermediate resources in external tanks.

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WAKEFIELD is so badass when using compressed air 600 km above Earth!

Basically you can do manouvring in LEO for free! (well as free as your source energy)

Are there any engines that can propel themselves with compressed air at even higher ISP?
Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

yes, there is no water on the mun, there are however hydrates near the poles and allegedly there might be some waterice in the polar mun.

@FreeThinker, many many thanks for the prompt response, I really appreciate it!

One last question and I will stop bugging you*: would there be a way to use the KSPIE mod without it's planetary resources' definitions and locations? In my current RSS/RO carreer game I am already taking advantage of planetary resources throughout the Solar System and I wouldn't like for my planetary facilities to suddenly render obsolete due to resources' re-placement.

Again, many many thanks for your hard efforts & responses! All is very much appreciated !!!

*Subject to change due to my awkward newbness :$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raxo2222 said:

WAKEFIELD is so badass when using compressed air 600 km above Earth!

Basically you can do maneuvering in LEO for free! (well as free as your source energy)

Are there any engines that can propel themselves with compressed air at even higher ISP?

Actually it becomes  better if you convert the compressed air into it liquefied resources, which are more compact which can be achieved by converting the compressed air back into atmosphere and then allow the ISRU refrigerator to convert it into cryogenic cooled liquids. Notice the composition depends on the nearest atmosphere, which means at gas giant, it will mainly consist of hydrogen, which can be used by magnetic nozzle to achieve much higher Isp (up to 1.500.000s) than possible with electric engines.

A valid strategy is to combine atmospheric breaking with refueling, that way you can refill you fuel at arrival. This technically allows skilled players to hop between planets an infinite times on the condition they also extract their reactor fuel from the atmosphere. Especially gas giant are are rich source for gathering  hydrogen, deuterium and helium3, but at high tech levels you can even use nitrogen as a power source with p-N14 fusion, The Tri Alpha might not be that power individually, but require half the space. 2 AIM reactor could for instance be replaced by 4 Tri Alphas running on p-N

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Actually it becomes  better if you convert the compressed air into it liquefied resources, which are more compact which can be achieved by converting the compressed air back into atmosphere and then allow the ISRU refrigerator to convert it into cryogenic cooled liquids. Notice the composition depends on the nearest atmosphere, which means at gas giant, it will mainly consist of hydrogen, which can be used by magnetic nozzle to achieve much higher Isp (up to 1.500.000s) than possible with electric engines.

A valid strategy is to combine atmospheric breaking with refueling, that way you can refill you fuel at arrival. This technically allows skilled players to hop between planets an infinite times on the condition they also extract their reactor fuel from the atmosphere. Especially gas giant are are rich source for gathering  hydrogen, deuterium and helium3, but at high tech levels you can even use nitrogen as a power source with p-N14 fusion, The Tri Alpha might not be that power individually, but require half the space. 2 AIM reactor could for instance be replaced by 4 Tri Alphas running on p-N

Well Earths (and everything else) atmospheres is mostly hydrogen above 500 km mark, so I'll try trick  with magnetic nozzle ;^)

Wonder if I can collect hydrogen using solar wind collectors too for use with fusion reactors + magnetic nozzle in solar system.

Apparently I can't use atmospheric extractor, because there is not enough space, even though I enabled overflow.

I set internal tanks for Hydrogen.

also it seems like fusion reactor is always at 100%

BTW fusion pellects are so compact in storage.

BTW can't we have smart atmospheric extraction - so is you get different gas compositions as you ascend exosphere - at certian height you get mostly hydrogen from extracting atmospheric gases.

Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

also it seems like fusion reactor is always at 100%

Weird that should not happen, could you end me the vessel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Weird that should not happen, could you end me the vessel

Yea

http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/Q9wlFLj4/file.html

BTW why converting atmosphere into its components is better than using it for propulsion directly?

Unless you meant like launching with empty tanks and then collecting atmosphere components on your way to fill tanks for interplanetary travel to airless bodies.

 

Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

BTW why converting atmosphere into its components is better than using it for propulsion directly?

Of cource you can use the propulsion directly, but if you plan to go on a trip further than LKO, you want to take as much with you as possible, which is best achieved by storing it in a compact way, extendind your deltaV.

For clarification, A gas tank full of gas has mass of about 2 ton, a similar size Liquid Nitrogen tank has a mass of 120 t, about 60 times as much!

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Because you want to transport the resource in suck compact way, that way you can more with out, extendind your deltaV.

A gas tank full of gas has mass of about 2 ton, a similar size Liquid Nitrogen tank has a mass of 120 t, about 60 times as much!

Ah so basically storing it for later use. But is it possible to succesfully fly into another tank without storing liquid reserve?

As in after amosphere is too thin to be useful for propulsion, but you are on right way into another atmospheric planet?

also enabling overflow doesn't work for atmospheric processor if you are using only internal tanks for resource you want to use.

Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Weird, it seems to happen only with the High Charged particle modes. It is as if it getting starved, this must be something recent

9 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

Ah so basically storing it for later use. But is it possible to succesfully fly into another tank without storing liquid reserve?

Of coerce it is possible but extremely hard, even adding a small storage tank will do

11 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

also enabling overflow doesn't work for atmospheric processor if you are using only internal tanks for resource you want to use.

sounds like a bug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Weird, it seems to happen only with the High Charged particle modes. It is as if it getting starved, this must be something recent

Of coerce it is possible but extremely hard, even adding a small storage tank will do

If I wanted to take 10 tons of any propelpallant, then I should take 10 tons of one with highest ISP for max DV?

Then collecting hydrogen would be best option on your way out, as it always has highest ISP.

Thrust may be low, but that doesn't matter, if you spend month travelling without acceleration for 2 weeks of constant acceleration and deceleration.

Wonder how low acceleration can be, if you want to go to Pluto in one month or week.

 

Edited by raxo2222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

If I wanted to take 10 tons of any propelpallant, then I should take 10 tons of one with highest ISP for max DV?

Then collecting hydrogen would be best option on your way out, as it always has highest ISP.

 

If you first need to get in otbit, and have plenty room, hydrogen is the best propellant to get max DeltaV, however, if you are already in orbit or have limited space like on an SSTO, you rather want to take the densest resource available, which is Argon (the third most abundant resource and about 50% as dense as nitrogen), or Nitrogen if your in a hurry

Edited by FreeThinker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017/5/3 at 10:01 AM, FreeThinker said:

Not sure how you use 2#  a phased arrays as linked receiver, they supposed only to be able to operate as directly relay.

Problem is solved with latest beta which can be downloaded from here

Thank you a lot for the reminder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

@FreeThinker, many many thanks for the prompt response, I really appreciate it!

One last question and I will stop bugging you*: would there be a way to use the KSPIE mod without it's planetary resources' definitions and locations? In my current RSS/RO carreer game I am already taking advantage of planetary resources throughout the Solar System and I wouldn't like for my planetary facilities to suddenly render obsolete due to resources' re-placement.

Again, many many thanks for your hard efforts & responses! All is very much appreciated !!!

*Subject to change due to my awkward newbness :$

 

KSPI used a hybrid system in which it merger Stock resource definition with Defined/auto generated definitions. When there are any conflict, stock definition will trump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.