KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

@Arivald Ha'gel

Thanks for the reply! I thought RealFuels removed and replaced any pre-installed fuels (like the ones from stock + KSPI-E)., but thankfully turbojets are still as OP as they've always been.

Now I'm dealing with missing engine plumes for anything other than IntakeAir, but that's a problem for the folks over at the RealPlumes thread :P 

Quick question, do any of the new drills work on asteroids? The "universal" drill complains about not being landed properly and the Regolith drill does not activate, with no message. Haven't tried the Large mining Auger but it looks to be a copy of universal just without the IntakeLiquid. Why does this one even exist?

Also extracting IntakeLiquid doesn't seem to work when floating on water (vessel not landed properly), only sitting on the shore half-submerged.

Am I just doing something wrong?

Think I may have found a bug.. took a starship that I had previously flown.. it's been docked at a space station where it refueled.. took it to Moho... was getting a critical power failure at 1.000c, but it could go 0.100c just fine; normally 1.000c has the lowest power requirements of any speed... thought that was odd.  Can't get it over about 0.300 - on its first mission it went *100.00c* no problem with everything else being equal; what I can't remember is if this mod has updated between those 2 missions.  Tomorrow I'm gonna try a new launch of the same type of craft and see if this is a "degrades over time" problem or if this is new/broken behavior with the warp drives... :(  (Yes, all required fuels/etc are present.  It's running off plasma beam core antimatter reactors and I believe one 3.75 and one 5.00m alcubierre ring. (large size).

OK.. @FreeThinker I believe one of two things has happened.. either a bug has been introduced, or you've intentionally changed some behavior that I missed, within the last update or two.  A while back I designed a starship.  Launched a couple of them, had them parked in orbit (see my previous post).  Back then, they'd hit anywhere from 0.001c to 100.000c no problem.  Now,, their speed range is 0.032c - 0.100c.  It used to be that 1.000c had the lowest power requirement of any warp speed.. that seems to not be empirically true anymore.  If I push the speed up to 1.000c, I get "critical power shortage at 47%" and it drops out of warp.  0.100 should require more power, though, yes?

I'm using 5.00m antimatter + charged particle generators, if that helps at all.

On 1/17/2018 at 6:25 AM, ss8913 said:

OK.. @FreeThinker I believe one of two things has happened.. either a bug has been introduced, or you've intentionally changed some behavior that I missed, within the last update or two.  A while back I designed a starship.  Launched a couple of them, had them parked in orbit (see my previous post).  Back then, they'd hit anywhere from 0.001c to 100.000c no problem.  Now,, their speed range is 0.032c - 0.100c.  It used to be that 1.000c had the lowest power requirement of any warp speed.. that seems to not be empirically true anymore.  If I push the speed up to 1.000c, I get "critical power shortage at 47%" and it drops out of warp.  0.100 should require more power, though, yes?

I'm using 5.00m antimatter + charged particle generators, if that helps at all.

I need more data, specificly if you run in NF mode and the reactor configuration. could you post a picture?

Edited by FreeThinker

for some reason when you pair the thermal electric generator with the quantum singularity reactor it weighs 640T instead of 6T and the charged particle converter weighs 160T when you set it on the spacy 5m payload fairing.. :/ any idea why?

here is the procedure to replicate it.. 

go into the payload tab and choose the 5m fairing.. put a docking port on it.. put a joining docking port.. then a thermal generator.. at this point everything is the right weight.. then go in and put the quantum reactor on top.. now everything weighs 750T.. 

edit, i guess it has nothing to do with the 5m fairing.. i tried a few ways and as soon as you join the thermal gen with the quantum reactor it sets the weight to 640T and the direct power converter to 160T

edit 2, as it turns out i dont even need the thermal generator for this reactor.. but i still need the particle converter and its weight still goes up to 160T instead of the 20 something it should be.

Edited by aaronsta1

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I need more data, specific if you run in NF mode and the reactor configuration. could you post a picture?

not using near future, no.  3.75m antimatter reactor, 3.75m charged particle generator (as it turns out, 3.75m, not 5.00m - it works a LOT better with the 5.0m parts) - the weird thing is that it won't go 1.0c, but it will go 0.1c .. unfortunately pics are difficult since everything's inside B9-HX hangar modules and are completely enclosed... but I guess the one weird thing about this craft is it has 2 alcubierre heavy rings, inline.. one 3.75m and one 5.00m... smaller one at the front, larger at the back.  Other than that it's really pretty standard, just antimatter (electrostatic, plenty of antimatter and hydrogen in it), antimatter reactor, electric generator.  Running in science mode with all nodes unlocked.  Wasteheat (total) sits at about 70% with the drive fully charged.

Can I just confirm that it's expected behaviour that a 5 metre pebble bed reactor plus a 2.5 metre krusader nozzle can lift 167 tonnes of payload+fuel with a TWR at launch on Kerbin of 3.3? I was really struggling to effectively use the pebble bed + thermal nozzles but then I hit on that combination of sizes and it was so good I still can't quite believe it's not some kind of scaling bug.

@FreeThinker, since the upgrade I have stopped getting Tritium from breeding or normal operation when the craft is offline. When online I'm getting it appropriately.

I do not have the same problem with Helium3 or Helium4.

ii6Xvr1.jpg

This vessel have been in space for 142 days. I have 62l of helium3 but only 0.77l of tritium. Breed rate of tritium/he3 is about 0.75. So I should have 3/4th of tritium vs helium3 (not counting for half-life of tritium).

2 MSR are online, and 1 Stellerator burning D-D. No tritium usage at all.

Other vessel I present after it being for 30 days in rails (offline).

Etvq9rP.png

10k liters of gaseous he3, 9.5-10k liters of gaseous he4, and 0 (ZERO) liters of gaseous tritium. All 3 are being converted to Lqd forms. This vessel is pre-upgrade, so it managed to breed some tritium before. Tritium is not THAT important, since I do produce some He3, but it certainly diminishes He3 amount since I do not get it from tritium decay.

Edited by Arivald Ha'gel
update, new info

ive been kind of testing and i cant really tell, but does it matter in some way what size i make the generators? say i have a 5m reactor and a 2.5m generator.. it seems to make the same power as if i put the generator at 5m? 

Edited by aaronsta1

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 4:50 AM, FreeThinker said:

I need more data, specific if you run in NF mode and the reactor configuration. could you post a picture?

I can also confirm warp drives power consumption seems to have changed dramatically. Before i could hit about 25c before my reactor was maxed out, and i can now blast along at 1000c without even full power.

On 1/18/2018 at 6:18 PM, SpaceMouse said:

I can also confirm warp drives power consumption seems to have changed dramatically. Before i could hit about 25c before my reactor was maxed out, and i can now blast along at 1000c without even full power.

i remember that this behavior was intentional in a recent update... the issue I'm seeing is that 0.100c should take more power, not less, than 1.00c, and I'm guessing that the fact that I have 2 different sizes of warp ring on the craft may be the culprit - it's the first time I've ever used such a design, and I'm not seeing this behavior in my other craft that do not have this configuration...

@FreeThinker I did found an issue with Solar Panels. Regardless of docking status. Here's a freshly loaded craft:

kUyK5Wu.jpg

Once solar panels get occluded by vessel, I get huge (>170/s) electrical consumption (not seen in KSPI displays):

Sj3rh6x.jpg

But when the panel gets deactivated, EC usage drops to ~2 (nominal):

r4pm4Ty.jpg

The craft do have Pebble Bed Reactor but with Thermal Nozzle and without Generator. That's probably why the craft does have some MJ storage. But I do see this problem on simpler crafts which doesn't have reactors/generators.

On 1/14/2018 at 7:42 PM, samooo2 said:

Quick question, do any of the new drills work on asteroids? The "universal" drill complains about not being landed properly and the Regolith drill does not activate, with no message. Haven't tried the Large mining Auger but it looks to be a copy of universal just without the IntakeLiquid. Why does this one even exist?

Also extracting IntakeLiquid doesn't seem to work when floating on water (vessel not landed properly), only sitting on the shore half-submerged.

Am I just doing something wrong?

Never mind, figured it out. The new drills are only usable on planets, but stock drills generate additional resources, not just ore, so they can be used on asteroids to feed the new ISRU family. I don't see a way to figure out exactly what resources are in the asteroid. Experimentally I've found water and traces of argon, there's probably more. Is this documented anywhere?

As for the IntakeLiquid from universal drill: the vessel has to be floating to even get the option of harvesting water, but it has to be very shallow water otherwise the drill complains about "no ground contact".

Guys (and Gals?) - I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I can't seem to understand something about charged particles... My ships seem to start with lots of CP and then after some (short) time, the CP amount is near zero. I was under the impression that the reactors that produce CP continue to produce, so why are they not regenerating? I'm sure this is an easy thing, but for the life of me, I can't find a thread that easily addresses this. Help...

15 hours ago, ksp_circles said:

Guys (and Gals?) - I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but I can't seem to understand something about charged particles... My ships seem to start with lots of CP and then after some (short) time, the CP amount is near zero. I was under the impression that the reactors that produce CP continue to produce, so why are they not regenerating? I'm sure this is an easy thing, but for the life of me, I can't find a thread that easily addresses this. Help...

Are you looking in the right place? Check CP output in "Reactor control window", the value in resources tab doesn't really mean anything. Same goes for thermal power.

Hi All.  I think I found a bug with the Abaltive Laser Drive.

It seems to only accept direct power and not relay power.  See this example.

When I use relay power, the Abaltive drive does not see the power.

relay.png

As soon as get beam power directly through rebroadcast, the Abaltive drive gets the power and I can fly the rocket (with enough power and cooling).

direct.png

Please check, thanks!

9 hours ago, enewmen said:

relay.png

As soon as get beam power directly through rebroadcast, the Abaltive drive gets the power and I can fly the rocket (with enough power and cooling).

Notice what the status, it sais "Linked for Relay" which means it is in receiving mode and will not transmit anything. Also notice you need to activate the engine before the nozzle can receive power.

9 hours ago, enewmen said:

direct.png

The Double Pivoted Thermophotovoltaic receiver cannot relay anything, it can only receive power (in all wavelength), and it has to be from somewhere else.

12 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Notice what the status, it sais "Linked for Relay" which means it is in receiving mode and will not transmit anything. Also notice you need to activate the engine before the nozzle can receive power.

The Double Pivoted Thermophotovoltaic receiver cannot relay anything, it can only receive power (in all wavelength), and it has to be from somewhere else.

Thanks for the post.  Let me try to be more clear.

When the relay is active, there is no power coming from "under" the Ablative nozzle.  I followed your advice and checked for "Status:  Relay Active"

untitled.png

When I point the nozzle toward the power beam source, I get full power.

This makes me think the relay is not used even though it's needed to provide power "under" the nozzle".  Such as other receivers don't use a relay if there is a direct connection to the source.

untitled1.png

Thanks!