KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

3 hours ago, samooo2 said:

Pretty sure I heard that in some sci-fi movie, that trying to warp close to other ships is dangerous and could rip them apart. Might as well call it a feature.

I like how you think!  It's true also, that there are unknown side effects to the destination of using the Alcubierre drive.

xTR2R8Y.jpg

I'm having problems with the Vista engine. As you can see in the picture, fuel flow is displayed as 111 Units/sec, but actually 221 (see resource panel). This means that I'm getting only half the predicted (and expected) delta-v. I haven't checked the other KSPI-E engines yet.

Some other issues:

- IntakeAtm doesn't seem to work in all atmospheres (for example Eve)

- The plumes configured in WarpPlugin/RealPlume have vanished (also visible in picture)

- ISRUProcessor/Extractor(Large).cfg should probably have DumpExcess = True for Spodumene -> Li, Li6, as it has for Salt. Otherwise Lithium and Lithium-6 can only be produced simultaneously, which doesn't make much sense. Maybe it would be a good idea to have separate modules for chemical processing and isotope separation?

Related to the last point, one question: Is there a plugin that displays KSPI-E-specific resources such as Spodumene? It doesn't seem to work with SCANSat.

Sorry in case I said something silly. As you can see on the left, I am still a noob.

Edited by emiliofloris

5 hours ago, emiliofloris said:

xTR2R8Y.jpg

I'm having problems with the Vista engine. As you can see in the picture, fuel flow is displayed as 111 Units/sec, but actually 221 (see resource panel). This means that I'm getting only half the predicted (and expected) delta-v. I haven't checked the other KSPI-E engines yet.

Some other issues:

- IntakeAtm doesn't seem to work in all atmospheres (for example Eve)

- The plumes configured in WarpPlugin/RealPlume have vanished (also visible in picture)

- ISRUProcessor/Extractor(Large).cfg should probably have DumpExcess = True for Spodumene -> Li, Li6, as it has for Salt. Otherwise Lithium and Lithium-6 can only be produced simultaneously, which doesn't make much sense. Maybe it would be a good idea to have separate modules for chemical processing and isotope separation?

Related to the last point, one question: Is there a plugin that displays KSPI-E-specific resources such as Spodumene? It doesn't seem to work with SCANSat.

Sorry in case I said something silly. As you can see on the left, I am still a noob.

This might be related to https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/issues/227

On 7/5/2018 at 2:55 PM, emiliofloris said:

I don't have  access to the vista in my career yet, but I have the same issue with previous tier fusion engine - Magneto Inertial Confinement. However I saw stat efficiency in it's description, and according to it I should have about 50% efficiency with my fuel choice, so I thought my delta-v was that low due to that. May be vista works the same? Can't check it right now.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:48 PM, Khalkion said:

I don't have  access to the vista in my career yet, but I have the same issue with previous tier fusion engine - Magneto Inertial Confinement. However I saw stat efficiency in it's description, and according to it I should have about 50% efficiency with my fuel choice, so I thought my delta-v was that low due to that. May be vista works the same? Can't check it right now.

Don't know exactly how it works, but before the 1.4 upgrade the MechJeb prediction was always correct, so I thought it might be a bug. Might be worth checking, though. Can't you use the sandbox to build a Vista testbed?

Spent another couple of hours testing delta-v of interstellar engines. Everything was tested with default fuels (mostly hydrogen or built-in). So "ok" means calculated delta-v and real are the same, and "not ok" means real delta-v are twice as low opposed to calculated one.

atila   ok
bussard fusion   ok
CANDLE   ok
daedalus   ok
dyrect cycle nuclear turbojet   ok
kerbstein   ok
magneto plasma dynamic   ok
plasma wakefield accelerator   ok
solid core nuclear engine   ok
thermal nozzles   ok
timberwind nuclear particle bed   ok
TORY nuclear ramjet   ok
vasimir   ok
cloced cycle gas core rocket   not ok
magneto inertial fusion   not ok
open cycle gas core rocket   not ok
plasma nozzle   not ok
vista   not ok
magnetic nozzle   ok
Edited by Khalkion

Weird question, but does anyone have the old IR telescope model file? I want it, cause I don't like how the current model is just an exact replica of the JWST...

I also cant use it on my craft right now because of the angle under which it deploys. (as far as i remember the old one was static and didn't deploy, which adds much versatility using Infernal Robotics to design my own deployment system)

I don't care about functionality of the telescope since I'm in sandbox, I just want to use the model

Any help is appreciated!

g4DVm0f.pngqz3Ucla.png

Edited by LarsB

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@lars Well you could browse trough the older versions of KSPIE and salvage the old model.

Like I said, I cannot find any old enough versions. We're talking about a version from KSP beta or even before that...

This list of old versions linked in this thread (https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/ksp-interstellar-extended/files) only goes back to 2015. 

1 hour ago, LarsB said:

Like I said, I cannot find any old enough versions. We're talking about a version from KSP beta or even before that...

This list of old versions linked in this thread (https://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/ksp-interstellar-extended/files) only goes back to 2015. 

It is definitely there, in the oldest available release it is located at WarpPlugin\Parts\Science\Telescope

On 7/16/2018 at 1:38 PM, FreeThinker said:

It is definitely there, in the oldest available release it is located at WarpPlugin\Parts\Science\Telescope

You don't understand. Of course the part is there, it was added to the mod long long ago, but at some point they changed the MODEL of the part. The oldest version in that list already has the newest model, I need an older version where the Telescope is still the old model...

Only copying the model did not work for some reason, however once I copied the entire folder I did get the old part. So thank you very much!

(Also didn't realize you were the developer of the mod lol, my bad)

Edited by LarsB

I'm trying to figure out how to use beamed power. Step 1 was to uninstall the Near Future Electrical mod because the balance of power generated was just too low otherwise. I built a power platform with a near infrared transmitter and put it in orbit of Kerbin. I then grabbed one of my existing electrical engine (ion argon from NFP) probe designs and replaced it's power generation with equipment that could receive near infrared beamed power. I put a craft of that design in a nearby orbit and got the 2 craft connected. Unfortunately, when I throttle up my ion engines, they instantly flameout with the reason "Megajoule Deprived". This would make perfect sense if I didn't have KSPIE power reception equipment on board. I do though, and as far as I can tell, it's working. Attached some screenshots. Hoping someone can tell me where I've gone wrong.

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/a/gnF2xow

1 hour ago, whitespacekilla said:

I'm trying to figure out how to use beamed power. Step 1 was to uninstall the Near Future Electrical mod because the balance of power generated was just too low otherwise. I built a power platform with a near infrared transmitter and put it in orbit of Kerbin. I then grabbed one of my existing electrical engine (ion argon from NFP) probe designs and replaced it's power generation with equipment that could receive near infrared beamed power. I put a craft of that design in a nearby orbit and got the 2 craft connected. Unfortunately, when I throttle up my ion engines, they instantly flameout with the reason "Megajoule Deprived". This would make perfect sense if I didn't have KSPIE power reception equipment on board. I do though, and as far as I can tell, it's working. Attached some screenshots. Hoping someone can tell me where I've gone wrong.

Imgur Album: https://imgur.com/a/gnF2xow

The problem is that NFE engine do no not have automated power adjustment instead they throttle directly to the to their maximum power requirement and once you ask too much you are likely to starve the engines entirely. To fix solve, I suggest adding super capacitors and preferably replace the NFE electric engine by one of KSPIE electric engines. In the near future I plan to make the NFE engine run with KSPIE partmodules, making it significantly easier to make existing vessels power by beamed power.

Edited by FreeThinker

Thank you for responding so promptly, @FreeThinker. This makes a lot of sense in context with other discussions I've read about the patches NF engines receive.

To ensure I understand completely, based on my reading of the discussions, your answers, and the MM patch files, it seems the alternatives are:

• Reinstall Near Future Electrical, the output of many KSPIE parts will be severely reduced to match NFE standards but NFP engines will continue working the same way (not desirable to me because transmission losses make the delivered power after the nerf patch very low and NFE does not add much of interest)
  • Switch to a self throttling KSPIE engine (challenge here is I will probably need to start from scratch on electric probe design because mass, twr, and Isp will change dramatically)
  • Add capacitors to store more than .6 megajoules and allow the patched NFP electric engines to run for some short period of time
  • Eliminate or alter KSPIE's patch to Near Future Propulsion engines, i.e. NFTEnginesFix.cfg (not balanced in the eyes of either mod really)

Is there another option where I might alter the module manager patches to add a module to NFP electric engines that accomplishes what you describe in your last sentence? 

27 minutes ago, whitespacekilla said:
  • Is there another option where I might alter the module manager patches to add a module to NFP electric engines that accomplishes what you describe in your last sentence? 

Well what you could do is open argon engine config file and replace EFFECTS section by the following config

EFFECTS
{
		engage
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = NearFuturePropulsion/Sounds/IonArgonOn
				volume = 1.0
				pitch = 1.0
				loop = false
			}
		}
		flameout
		{
			PREFAB_PARTICLE
			{
				prefabName = fx_exhaustSparks_flameout_2
				transformName = thrustTransform
				oneShot = true
			}
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = NearFuturePropulsion/Sounds/GenericFlameout
				volume = 1.0
				pitch = 1.0
				loop = false
			}
		}
		run_hallm1
		{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = NearFuturePropulsion/Sounds/IonArgonLoop01
				volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.01 0.1
				volume = 0.5 0.2
				volume = 1.0 0.4
				pitch = 0.0 1.3
				pitch = 0.5 1.3
				pitch = 1.0 1.3
				loop = true
			}
			MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
			{
				modelName = NearFuturePropulsion/FX/ionArgon-0625-02-core
				transformName = fxTransform2
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.01 0.1
				emission = 0.075 0.25
				emission = 1.0 1.0
				speed = 0.0 0.35
				speed = 1.0 1.0
			}
		}
		run_hallm1in
		{
			MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
			{
				modelName = NearFuturePropulsion/FX/ionArgon-0625-02-glow
				transformName = fxTransform1
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.01 0.1
				emission = 0.075 0.25
				emission = 1.0 1.0
				speed = 0.0 0.35
				speed = 1.0 1.0
			}
		}
	electric_qvp
	{
		MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
		{
			modelName = WarpPlugin/FX/interstellarQVPExhaust
			emission = 0.0 0.0
			emission = 0.05 0.05
			emission = 0.075 0.1
			emission = 1.0 1.25
			speed = 0.0 0.5
			speed = 1.0 1.2
		}
		AUDIO
		{
			channel = Ship
			clip = WarpPlugin/Sounds/sound_attila_looped
			volume = 0.0 0.0
			volume = 1.0 1.0
			pitch = 0.0 0.3
			pitch = 1.0 1.0
			loop = true
		}
	}
	electric_red
	{
		MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
		{
			modelName = WarpPlugin/FX/interstellarLithiumExhaust
			emission = 0.0 0.0
			emission = 0.05 0.05
			emission = 0.075 0.1
			emission = 1.0 1.25
			speed = 0.0 0.5
			speed = 1.0 1.2
		}
		AUDIO
		{
			channel = Ship
			volume = 0.0 0.0
			volume = 1.0 1.0
			pitch = 0.0 0.3
			pitch = 1.0 1.0
			loop = true
		}
	}
	electric_argon
	{
			AUDIO
			{
				channel = Ship
				clip = NearFuturePropulsion/Sounds/IonArgonLoop01
				volume = 0.0 0.0
				volume = 0.01 0.1
				volume = 0.5 0.2
				volume = 1.0 0.4
				pitch = 0.0 1.3
				pitch = 0.5 1.3
				pitch = 1.0 1.3
				loop = true
			}
			MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
			{
				modelName = NearFuturePropulsion/FX/ionArgon-0625-02-core
				transformName = fxTransform2
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.01 0.1
				emission = 0.075 0.25
				emission = 1.0 1.0
				speed = 0.0 0.35
				speed = 1.0 1.0
			}
            			MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
			{
				modelName = NearFuturePropulsion/FX/ionArgon-0625-02-glow
				transformName = fxTransform1
				emission = 0.0 0.0
				emission = 0.01 0.1
				emission = 0.075 0.25
				emission = 1.0 1.0
				speed = 0.0 0.35
				speed = 1.0 1.0
			}
	}
	electric_xenon
	{
	MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
		{
			modelName = WarpPlugin/FX/interstellarXenonExhaust
			emission = 0.0 0.0
			emission = 0.05 0.05
			emission = 0.075 0.1
			emission = 1.0 1.25
			speed = 0.0 0.5
			speed = 1.0 1.2
		}
		AUDIO
		{
			channel = Ship
			volume = 0.0 0.0
			volume = 1.0 1.0
			pitch = 0.0 0.3
			pitch = 1.0 1.0
			loop = true
		}
	}
	electric_hydrogen
	{
		MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
		{
			modelName = WarpPlugin/FX/interstellarHydrogenExhaust
			emission = 0.0 0.0
			emission = 0.05 0.05
			emission = 0.075 0.1
			emission = 1.0 1.25
			speed = 0.0 0.5
			speed = 1.0 1.2
		}
		AUDIO
		{
			channel = Ship
			volume = 0.0 0.0
			volume = 1.0 1.0
			pitch = 0.0 0.3
			pitch = 1.0 1.0
			loop = true
		}
	}
	electric_ammonia
	{
		MODEL_MULTI_PARTICLE
		{
			modelName = WarpPlugin/FX/interstellarAmmoniaExhaust
			emission = 0.0 0.0
			emission = 0.05 0.05
			emission = 0.075 0.1
			emission = 1.0 1.25
			speed = 0.0 0.5
			speed = 1.0 1.2
		}
		AUDIO
		{
			channel = Ship
			volume = 0.0 0.0
			volume = 1.0 1.0
			pitch = 0.0 0.3
			pitch = 1.0 1.0
			loop = true
		}
	}
}

MODULE
    {
        name = ElectricEngineControllerFX
        originalName = Ion engine
        upgradedName = Ion engine
        maxPower = 1000
        baseISP = 2700
        exitArea = 0.0775
        type = 2
        upgradedtype = 2
        ispGears = 1
        powerThrustMultiplier = 1
        gearsTechReq = advIonPropulsion
        partMass = 0.15
    }

This should make at argon engine able to function well with low amount of power, including high time warp, but I haven't verified

Edited by FreeThinker

I have a spaceplane sitting on moho powered by 2 nuclear lightbulbs and two direct cycle nuclear turbojets... all four of which spontaneously started reporting heat production as NaN. None of the engines produce thrust. The generators all seem to be working, but are not producing megajoules or thermal power. @Freethinker or anyone knowledgable, I would greatly appreciate a leg up on troubleshooting this! Game version 1.3.0 ( and KSPI version to match, exact number unknown.)

Thanks!

On 7/13/2018 at 6:23 PM, Khalkion said:

Spent another couple of hours testing delta-v of interstellar engines. Everything was tested with default fuels (mostly hydrogen or built-in). So "ok" means calculated delta-v and real are the same, and "not ok" means real delta-v are twice as low opposed to calculated one.

atila   ok
bussard fusion   ok
CANDLE   ok
daedalus   ok
dyrect cycle nuclear turbojet   ok
kerbstein   ok
magneto plasma dynamic   ok
plasma wakefield accelerator   ok
solid core nuclear engine   ok
thermal nozzles   ok
timberwind nuclear particle bed   ok
TORY nuclear ramjet   ok
vasimir   ok
cloced cycle gas core rocket   not ok
magneto inertial fusion   not ok
open cycle gas core rocket   not ok
plasma nozzle   not ok
vista   not ok
magnetic nozzle   can't make it work

The solution appears to be to comment out

//          this.CalculateThrust();

in ModuleEnginesWarp::OnFixedUpdate.

I checked Vista and the Open Cycle Gas Core rocket, which are both based on ModuleEnginesWarp, and they seem to be ok now. The engines that weren't affected are all ModuleEngines(FX) I guess.

Hi, hopefully this is a quick question. Thermal Ramjet Nozzle. name = ThermalRamjetNozzle. \GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\ThermalRocketNozzle\ThermalRocketRamjet.cfg.

I would like to add XenonGas as a propellant. I see Nitrogen in game is available. I thought to write an easy patch. Problem is I have failed to find where the propellants for this engine are. Only LqdHydrogen is listed in the part cfg file.

There is a \GameData\WarpPlugin\Resources\EnginePropellants.cfg. But there is an entry there for Xenon gas which has been commented out.

Where would you advise I look for what I need?

edit.

I tried looking in ModuleManager.ConfigCache for help. No propellants appear in the url for that part. In other words still no idea which module to add or add to in order to be able to use my on board Xenon gas with this engine.

Which is a pity as I was rather hoping to use the nozzle as a means of dumping waste heat. As it is I fail to remove enough waste heat from a simple combo of pebble bed reactor and thermal electric generator despite using many simply huge radiators (I mean these things dwarf the craft itself individually). Ion engines use quite a bit of juice, which the combo will supply, but the heat build up means I can only use them at about 80-85 percent throttle. Trying to dump MW into space is rather tricky, since the radiators seem to have their own opinion on how much heat they will suck into themselves and thus radiate. If, pardon the pun, the radiators sucked more, things would be so much easier. You see we have this problem with heat. 3 places I find heat. Core, internal and skin. Now the combo does not get hot, in terms of internal and skin. Yes the radiators do have info that seems to state that they or the part they are trying to cool is getting hot. Heat overlay merely shows that the radiators are the hot things, see no heat for internal or skin registering for either part of the combo mentioned. Nor is any other part showing up as hot, if they were I would have slapped some radiators on them. This is for a test craft, I liked that idea of insane ISP using Ion Engines. But for all my testing I cannot seem to drag enough heat out to stop both conversion efficiency of the thermal electric tanking and the reactor over heating. I have read that heat is a problem. I even tried stupid amounts of little radiators in the belief that the 10 percent suck was the stumbling block. Nope, yes the little radiators get hot quickly, but being so small the amount of heat they radiate, despite their much higher temperature, is also tiny. Ok heat is a problem and I have read you are working on it. In the mean time, I am trying other ways of dealing with it, hence the thought of dumping it out the back in an exhaust. Back to wanting to use the on board Xenon.

Edited by Apaseall

4 hours ago, Apaseall said:

Which is a pity as I was rather hoping to use the nozzle as a means of dumping waste heat. As it is I fail to remove enough waste heat from a simple combo of pebble bed reactor and thermal electric generator despite using many simply huge radiators (I mean these things dwarf the craft itself individually). Ion engines use quite a bit of juice, which the combo will supply, but the heat build up means I can only use them at about 80-85 percent throttle. Trying to dump MW into space is rather tricky, since the radiators seem to have their own opinion on how much heat they will suck into themselves and thus radiate. If, pardon the pun, the radiators sucked more, things would be so much easier. You see we have this problem with heat. 3 places I find heat. Core, internal and skin. Now the combo does not get hot, in terms of internal and skin. Yes the radiators do have info that seems to state that they or the part they are trying to cool is getting hot. Heat overlay merely shows that the radiators are the hot things, see no heat for internal or skin registering for either part of the combo mentioned. Nor is any other part showing up as hot, if they were I would have slapped some radiators on them. This is for a test craft, I liked that idea of insane ISP using Ion Engines. But for all my testing I cannot seem to drag enough heat out to stop both conversion efficiency of the thermal electric tanking and the reactor over heating. I have read that heat is a problem. I even tried stupid amounts of little radiators in the belief that the 10 percent suck was the stumbling block. Nope, yes the little radiators get hot quickly, but being so small the amount of heat they radiate, despite their much higher temperature, is also tiny. Ok heat is a problem and I have read you are working on it. In the mean time, I am trying other ways of dealing with it, hence the thought of dumping it out the back in an exhaust. Back to wanting to use the on board Xenon.

Heat in KSPI is way more realistic than stock. In real-life cooling things in non-conducting environment is pretty hard and cooling is not a magic process, but a thermodynamic one, so we have equilibrium state (if it is possible), radiation depending on the power function of temperature and so on. However this problem is real only at the beginning of KSPI-tech, as you open more nodes and technologies cooling will become less and less a problem. As I understand it early reactors are meant to be bad choice for almost anything except thermal propulsion and early generator tech's poor efficiency doesn't allow big scale electric production without horrible amounts of radiators. Reactors that are meant for electric propulsion are higher in the tech-tree, and upgrades that will allow generators to work with starting reactors for electric propulsion are even a bit further.

But this is just a small misunderstanding of this mod by new players, some of them may think that everything should work with maximum efficiency like the stock things do while in real-life every technology consists of trade-offs. And KSPI is following this trade-off path, so reaching maximum efficiency is almost impossible, but good enough is manageable. And the further into the tech-tree, the more futuristic and efficient things become.

Edited by Khalkion

10 minutes ago, Khalkion said:

Heat in KSPI is way more realistic than stock. In real-life cooling things in non-conducting environment is pretty hard and cooling is not a magic process, but a thermodynamic one, so we have equilibrium state (if it is possible), radiation depending on the power function of temperature and so on. However this problem is real only at the beginning of KSPI-tech, as you open more nodes and technologies cooling will become less and less a problem. As I understand it early reactors are meant to be bad choice for almost anything except thermal propulsion and early generator tech's poor efficiency doesn't allow big scale electric production without horrible amounts of radiators. Reactors that are meant for electric propulsion are higher in the tech-tree, and upgrades that will allow generators to work with starting reactors for electric propulsion are even a bit further.

But this is just a small misunderstanding of this mod by new players, some of them may think that everything should work with maximum efficiency like the stock things do while in real-life every technology consists of trade-offs. And KSPI is following this trade-off path, so reaching maximum efficiency is almost impossible, but good enough is manageable. And the further into the tech-tree, the more futuristic and efficient things become.

Whilst I take your intention, I am aware of the things you mention. I have upgrades to the pebble bed, at least 3 for the thermal convertor and have graduated to triangle wing graphite radiators. Plus going towards the goal of equilibrium should be covered by the testing of large numbers of rather big radiators. However there always seems to be a point at which no matter how much cooling I have, it is less than the heat produced. The first test was rather poor and I did not believe it would work. With each upgrade I hope. But it eludes me so far.

One idea I had was to provide something like an NRT?, a small additional power source, in the thoughts that the cooling of the radiators needed power. Providing that power with the thing I was trying to cool might be self defeating.

Either way, I would like to be able to use Xenon in the manner inquired about.

Edited by Apaseall

18 minutes ago, Apaseall said:

However there always seems to be a point at which no matter how much cooling I have, it is less than the heat produced. The first test was rather poor and I did not believe it would work. With each upgrade I hope. But it eludes me so far.

Looks like you either don't have enough radiators for equilibrium point to be lower than max temp of critical parts or you have some problems with installation.

And for radiators... pebble bed reactor has built-in thermal throttling, so when heat goes too high, not only generator looses its efficiency, but also the reactor should start produce less and less thermal power for helping with equilibrium point.

Can you post your craft? 

Edited by Khalkion

I looked a little more into the TORY ramjet issue, and here is my understanding of what's going on:

By default, the nuclear ramjet uses the AtmosphericIntake module, defined in WarpPlugin (Collectors/AtmosphericIntake.cs).

public override void OnStart(PartModule.StartState state)
        {
            if (state == StartState.Editor) return; // don't do any of this stuff in editor

_moduleResourceIntake = this.part.FindModuleImplementing<ModuleResourceIntake>();

sets _moduleResourceIntake to null, because there is no ModuleResourceIntake module defined in the configuration. This means that

public void IntakeThatAir()
        {
            if (_moduleResourceIntake == null) return;

always returns right away, and no air is taken in.

A quick fix is to replace

MODULE
	{
		name = AtmosphericIntake
		intakeTransformName = Intake
		area = 0.01
		intakeSpeed = 12
	}

by

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleResourceIntake
		resourceName = IntakeAir
		area = 0.01
		intakeSpeed = 12
		intakeTransformName = Intake
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		// Avoid NullReferenceException
		name = IntakeAir
		amount = 2
		maxAmount = 2
	}

resourceName = IntakeAtm will work on Kerbin, but not on Eve (didn't check any other atmospheres because I haven't gone anywhere else yet in my campaign game).

The nuclear turbojet always works ok, because it requires an external intake.