KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

you can connect a reactor to multiple nozzles and switch between the reducing and oxidizing resistant engines.

Don't the nozzles have to be attached directly onto the reactor? The reactors I've seen up till now only have two attachment points, and one of them likely connects to the rest of the ship.

3 hours ago, samooo2 said:

Don't the nozzles have to be attached directly onto the reactor? The reactors I've seen up till now only have two attachment points, and one of them likely connects to the rest of the ship.

nope, you don't have to connect thermal engines directly, only nearby.

here is the pebblebed reactor powering a single Thermal Turbojet

hK4heqr.jpg

Here Same pebbebed that power  4 Krusader thermal nozzles equally

Ca5ugco.jpg

Pro tip: use surface area matching nozzles combined action groups to switch between them

Edited by FreeThinker

Do the microwave power transmission parts have field of view limits? I have a deployable phased array on a ground base and a cyclotron with the giant movable dish orbiting at zero inclination at the Mun, the ground base is at about 50ish latitude. I don't seem to be able to get the base to link up to the orbiting power station for some reason and I'm not sure why. The power station is transmitting Ka-band, and I made sure the receiver is set to that as well (though it says X-band as well as Ka-band so I'm not sure what it's set up to work with exactly.)

7 hours ago, nonono said:

Do the microwave power transmission parts have field of view limits? I have a deployable phased array on a ground base and a cyclotron with the giant movable dish orbiting at zero inclination at the Mun, the ground base is at about 50ish latitude. I don't seem to be able to get the base to link up to the orbiting power station for some reason and I'm not sure why. The power station is transmitting Ka-band, and I made sure the receiver is set to that as well (though it says X-band as well as Ka-band so I'm not sure what it's set up to work with exactly.)

Well it is intended you have a 180 x 360 Degree field of view but standing on the mun, the line of sight between your transmitter at 50 ish latitude and receiver might partially pass through the mun, therefore blocking it. Slightly lowering the radius of the mun, or increasing the height might fix it.

Edit: there was a minimum altitude of  5 m. That means that if you were to attempt to transmit from the bottom of a crater, you might not be able to transmit. I guess it was to prevent you from transmitting from beneath the oceans.  But on airless celestial bodies, this doesn't make sense. I will reduce that number on atmosphere celestial bodies like the mun. Please registrate this bug in the kspie issue tracker

Edited by FreeThinker

13 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well it is intended you have a 180 x 360 Degree field of view but standing on the mun, the line of sight between your transmitter at 50 ish latitude and receiver might partially pass through the mun, therefore blocking it. Slightly lowering the radius of the mun, or increasing the height might fix it.

Edit: there was a minimum altitude of  5 m. That means that if you were to attempt to transmit from the bottom of a crater, you might not be able to transmit. I guess it was to prevent you from transmitting from beneath the oceans.  But on airless celestial bodies, this doesn't make sense. I will reduce that number on atmosphere celestial bodies like the mun. Please registrate this bug in the kspie issue tracker

My memory was incorrect, it is at 30 degrees 57 minutes, a far shallower angle, but still... I submitted this to the issue tracker like you requested, in the meantime, what should I use for beamed power from orbit? This was supposed to be my first beamed power network. :(

Version 1.20.6 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5 in now available from here

Released on 2018-10-13

• Added Spanish localization (by Janderklander)
  • Added ability of using Lithium and LithiumHydride to Discovery Fusion Engine, which minimizes Neutron Embrittlement
  • Balance: increased mass and power output Discovery Fusion Engine
  • Balance: Reactor Neutron Embrittlement rate depends on local lithium-6
  • Balance: Plasma nozzle now always use propellant base isp
  • Balance: re-allow Gas Core reactor and engines to use LiquidFuel
  • Balance: Increased core temperature and power output Plasma Jet Fusion Reactor
  • Balance: Limited Plasma Jet Fusion Reactor to to Plasma Nozzle and Plasma Electric Generator (aka MHD Generator)
  • Balance: Scale power and mass electrostatic Dawn Ion Engine by surface area
  • Balance: increase gimbal range Nuclear Lightbulb
  • Balance: Increase upgrade requirements of Timberwind, Nuclear Lightbulb , Positron Antimatter Reactor
  • Fixed Magnetic Confinement Fusion reaction power balance issues
  • Fixed Magnetized Target Fusion Reactor power issues
  • Fixed for beamed power from airless celestial bodies
  • Fixed animated radiator visual heat scaling 
  • Fixed issue with clover radiator not being active when initially deployed

I'm trying to use ablative laser nozzle but I cannot get any thrust from the nozzle:

LPVdSDm.jpg

However, I am not getting any thrust from the engine. Beam is generated by DT-L-IR-1. After launching this into flight, thrust appears @20km:

bxij1xo.jpg

It is however only 6kN. I expect to get thrust on the launch pad already.

What am I doing wrong?

Hello !
A small question (sorry, the search function is dead, Error code: 1C205/3).
Is there a process to create / refine lithium hybrid so that you can refuel during your mission?
Or as in my situation with the "Extraplanetary Launchpads" mod, create ships from other planets using this fuel?
Thank you in advance !

1 hour ago, Raphaello said:

I'm trying to use ablative laser nozzle but I cannot get any thrust from the nozzle:

However, I am not getting any thrust from the engine. Beam is generated by DT-L-IR-1. After launching this into flight, thrust appears @20km:

It is however only 6kN. I expect to get thrust on the launch pad already.

What am I doing wrong?

Far as I can tell the ablative nozzle has a very tight receive angle, as the description states the beam has to be coming from directly below.

As for the low thrust, you need far more power in the beam to get maximum thrust out of it. I'm guessing 500+ MW, but the VAB tooltip should have an exact number.

I think there is something strange with the XLAuger that Bahamuto originally made, when I scale it up to 4x size or larger it complains about not having enough power. I gave it a molten salt reactor scaled up to 5 meters with equally massive thermal generator and radiator, I also gave it a B9 HX sized battery with a huge capacitor to make sure that the reactor wasn't just lagging. My reactor low power standby production was nearly a GW, and the drill reports ~600MW demand well under the low power standby output. Still reports insufficient power. I think it's bugged somehow?

Even a 15 meter gas core reactor won't run it.... (There's also a 3.75 meter reactor stuck to the side)

8RMZxb4.jpg

6 hours ago, nonono said:

I think there is something strange with the XLAuger that Bahamuto originally made, when I scale it up to 4x size or larger it complains about not having enough power. I gave it a molten salt reactor scaled up to 5 meters with equally massive thermal generator and radiator, I also gave it a B9 HX sized battery with a huge capacitor to make sure that the reactor wasn't just lagging. My reactor low power standby production was nearly a GW, and the drill reports ~600MW demand well under the low power standby output. Still reports insufficient power. I think it's bugged somehow?

Even a 15 meter gas core reactor won't run it.... (There's also a 3.75 meter reactor stuck to the side)

8RMZxb4.jpg

Don't use Open Gas Core at surface on Kerbin/Earth, their gravity is too high for Open Gas Core which can only sustain up to 0.5g before it gas core start to leak out

Edited by FreeThinker

Wrapped Microwave Thermal Receiver doesn't glow at all when heating up.

Changing transmission strength doesn't work, at least for Xray transmitter.

It just freezes left mouse button (pressing esc fixes that though).

Wasteheat changes doesn't scale with time warp - it acts as if there was no time warp.

Cold bath thermal generator temperature now is same as radiator temperature, it seems like its only graphical issue.

Edited by raxo2222

so.. is there any reason why... I launch a ship with like 8 of the 1/2 graphene curved radiators, 4 2x scaled large folding radiators, and 4 large "winged edge" radiators.

The winged edge ones stay relatively cool.. wasteheat is minimal, internal temp isn't enough to make them glow.

The others (who have the same max listed temp as the winged radiators, around 2200-2300 K) get super super hot.. to the point where they're glowing full hot and are actually several hundred K above their max temp (wasteheat is still mostly minimal in these too)... they don't explode from heat (and no cheats are on) but why is the heat not balanced amongst all the radiators?
This craft has no couplers or anything, it's all one stage.

8 hours ago, ss8913 said:

so.. is there any reason why... I launch a ship with like 8 of the 1/2 graphene curved radiators, 4 2x scaled large folding radiators, and 4 large "winged edge" radiators.

The winged edge ones stay relatively cool.. wasteheat is minimal, internal temp isn't enough to make them glow.

The others (who have the same max listed temp as the winged radiators, around 2200-2300 K) get super super hot.. to the point where they're glowing full hot and are actually several hundred K above their max temp (wasteheat is still mostly minimal in these too)... they don't explode from heat (and no cheats are on) but why is the heat not balanced amongst all the radiators?
This craft has no couplers or anything, it's all one stage.

I really need a ship file and a list of used part mods to determine what is going on precisely. One thing to notice is that some radiators use an internal animation while other use a float curve. Having radiators temperature to go higher than their maximum temperature sound like a bug which I need to investigate

10 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I really need a ship file and a list of used part mods to determine what is going on precisely. One thing to notice is that some radiators use an internal animation while other use a float curve. Having radiators temperature to go higher than their maximum temperature sound like a bug which I need to investigate

ok I can provide that.. it's basically an automated/AI supply ship heading to duna behind a manned craft to resupply it in Duna orbit when they both get there.  I think it's .. just a few mods in use on that guy other than KSPIE.  I'll send you a file later and a full list.

I can report I have found no apparent bugs in 1.5 other than warp drives cause spontaneous ship explosion upon activation which I can assume is just a simple matter that the g-forces are still being applied during the sudden extreme acceleration.

Edit: I was correct turning on the no crash damage and unbreakable joints my ship came out of warp in one (mangled) peace.

Edit 2: Ok my ship is now having a seizure

Edit 4,658: Due to the buckling of the ship when it enters warp the warp drive thinks the ship is turning changing the ships velocity causing it to buckle more so I cheat warped the ship to a reasonably sized orbit around the sun set the warp power to max and waited to watch it bounce around the solar system like a pinball. My game crashed. So that will be the end of my bug reporting even though it became more messing around then reporting but I try.

Edited by Mcglin250

1 minute ago, Mcglin250 said:

I can report I have found no apparent bugs in 1.5 other than warp drives cause spontaneous ship explosion upon activation which I can assume is just a simple matter that the g-forces are still being applied during the sudden extreme acceleration.

In KSP, aren't spontaneous explosions a feature?  :confused:

On 10/15/2018 at 2:03 PM, Mcglin250 said:

Edit: I was correct turning on the no crash damage and unbreakable joints my ship came out of warp in one (mangled) peace.

Edit 2: Ok my ship is now having a seizure

Edit 4,658: Due to the buckling of the ship when it enters warp the warp drive thinks the ship is turning changing the ships velocity causing it to buckle more so I cheat warped the ship to a reasonably sized orbit around the sun set the warp power to max and waited to watch it bounce around the solar system like a pinball. My game crashed. So that will be the end of my bug reporting even though it became more messing around then reporting but I try.

This is a problem I've had for years when very specific circumstances occurred.. if it's fully reproducible 100% of the time now, that may be a good thing, perhaps a fix can be developed that solves it for all cases.  However the alcubierre drives are kind of fighting what the KSP physics engine thinks is "proper" so it's likely a nontrivial problem.
Make sure that the savegame settings has "part G force limits" turned off, is the first step, at least in the past.  If you've already done that then.. yeah.  once the ship gets mangled it will act excessively weird.

5 hours ago, Mcglin250 said:

I was switching through the propellants of the "Magneto Plasma Dynamic Thruster" when I noticed the last one is called "Buckyballs," what?

Its a highly efficient type of propellant when you want to trade in isp for much higher thrust