KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

28 minutes ago, TanoPrime said:

But the game can calculate your exit orbit in realtime during a jump, at least when using a different warp mod

This standalone Alcubierre Drive mod has this feature (as well as linking your drive acceleration to the main controls), see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW5Yi2aNeZY

Can the same functionality be added to KSPIE?

KSPIE uses a fundamentally different method then the standalone warp mod. Instead of changing orbital speed it is actually moving you through space and therefore you still see your current orbit durring warp.

An advantage of KSPIE method is that it allow much higher speeds, shows your heading during warp, can be used in combination with time warp

Edited by FreeThinker

5 hours ago, flyguybc said:

BOOOOYAAAAAH!  Ladies and gents I have an SSTOTA!  Well mostly haha.  At full fuel in space it gives about 4100 dV.  I've also clipped things into it left and right, and used fairings.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xvPLZMB

I was indeed able to replicate this! Having each three refinery module is a good thought so that you can do all three processes at the same time. You can do this with the all-in-one converter, but you can do only a single process at once

However now it begs the question, of what defines where alumina can be found? I did hyperedit to Minmus flats and I couldn't mine it there. I had to drive to normal ground to be able to mine it for some reason.

51 minutes ago, wkwied said:

I see..... that is something. Yes, I agree. That would be an amazing thing to have added to KSPIE @FreeThinker, is it possible?

If I just knew how to draw an orbit, that would effectively achieve what we want (if I only had an working example). An alternative solution might be to simply help the player match it exit orbit with the destination orbit. Basically what I could do is subtract the departure planet orbital vector and add the destination planet orbital vector and you will end up with a speed that closely matches the orbit you want to be.  But perhaps that would make it too easy like in in science fiction movies. No one want it that easy.

Edited by FreeThinker

39 minutes ago, wkwied said:

However now it begs the question, of what defines where alumina can be found?

It is defined at Alumina.cfg in WarpPlugin\ResourceConfigs but Aluminia isn't the only source of Oxygen, almost any minable resource (Borate, Mopedantte, Nitratine, Silicates, Spodumene) contains Oxygen molecules, the freaking stuff is on every solid surface

Edited by FreeThinker

55 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

KSPIE uses a fundamentally different method then the standalone warp mod. Instead of changing orbital speed it is actually moving you through space and therefore you still see your current orbit durring warp.

An advantage of KSPIE method is that it allow much higher speeds, shows your heading during warp, can be used in combination with time warp

I understand, and it's why I use KSPIE instead of other warp modes (along with all the extra functionality it brings).

What I meant is that the way I am able to manually guesstimate kinda what orbit I'll get out at based on ship heading, warp speed, time spent in warp, and starting orbital coordinates (including speed), and come out to around the apoapsis+periapsis that I expected, the calculation could conceivably be automated by KSPIE.

I do not understand the math, or the coding necessary, just having the intuitive feeling that the sequence of moves I make could be automated into a realtime display of potential exit orbits - doesn't even need to be exact, jumping to another star and circularizing gives you leeway of at least a few billion kilometers without hitting the star or other large objects.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

If I just knew how to draw an orbit, that would effectively achieve what we want (if I only had an working example). An alternative solution might be to simply help the player match it exit orbit with the destination orbit. Basically what I could do is subtract the departure planet orbital vector and add the destination planet orbital vector and you will end up with a speed that closely matches the orbit you want to be.  But perhaps that would make it too easy like in in science fiction movies. No one want it that easy.

I do, yes please, that would be awesome to have, for multiple reasons:

- for the same reason why KSP has cheats, testing some features require repeated reproduction of specific conditions. 
For example, there's little more sapping from the fun of the game than when I have to do an atmospheric launch every time I'm trying to test how a large space station, or an interplanetary craft, is balanced, or which way the docking ports are facing, and so on, especially if I'm intentionally in Sandbox mode to test a design. The "cheat to orbit" option has helped me reduce a lot of frustration, as did the having mechjeb for boring repetitive missions, since I test my designs in sandbox repeatedly in a lot of detail before using them with financial consequences in Career mode (as this would be in a realtime scenario, a lot of person-hours would be spent modeling fail scenarios to a six-sigma level of certainty);

- realism, a meatspace mission in interplanetary space would have automation capable of handling nearly everything, and heavily automated UI and HUD elements, to amplify, assist, and manage human cognitive abilities and limitations. This is done already to a great extent today in realworld applications. A pilot receives training to navigate without instruments in case the plane's battery dies (along with a lot of other fail scenarios), but that doesn't mean the pilot has to always navigate without assistive instruments. Even though I know which landscape markers to follow to find the airfield I took off from, I still appreciate that the second plane model I trained on had GPS installed, after many times leaving for training flights to the same permitted flyzone - the nearby international airport clogged all the airspace in the area, the surroundings got really monotonous after a while;

- accessibility: I've learned to play Kerbal while managing PTSD, and not being very functional (able to focus or intake complex information). KSP had stock tools, and extra mods, that allowed me assistance in learning the parts of the game that I wasn't too intellectually deficient to understand, and during a long process of a year or more learning enough about the basics of the game, practical orbital mechanics, mass distribution, and all the other primary and ancillary skills necessary to fully enjoy the game.
I made my game progressively more and more difficult, took on greater and greater challenges, because I had the ability to have it easy at the beginning when I couldn't handle more;

- kinda connected to the above point, I'm interested in playing or creating a roleplaying mod if there isn't one.
I would like the idea of being able to take the mechanics of KSP for a spin into a larger universe, where it would be possible for someone to be an AI assisted wanderer, or an engineering minded in-system or inter-system professional. Technically even in science fiction movies the pilots making things look too easy were conceivably trained in how to do stuff completely without automation, or had the option of picking it up with a lot of automation.

Edited by TanoPrime
reworked last sentence

It happens when I start KSPIE engines.  So I put multiple stock craft with different engines on the runway and they took off no issues.  The second I put One of my thermal SSTO's with Thermal Turbo or Ramjet it goes wonky.

I'm reloading again to find out if its just the thermals or if its all KSPIE engines.

Edit:  Yup its the thermal nozzles.  I tried Attila and it worked fine.  The open core gas engine seemed fine.  The second I strapped a thermal ram or turbo jet on and hit space bar....world went funky.

Edited by flyguybc

Running the latest version of KSPI-E for KSP 1.4.5 (using KSP 1.4.3 for OSX). I'm getting an "engine shutdown fuel missing" message with the thermal ramjet (haven't tested any others) with both atmospheric and internal fuel modes despite having plenty of fuel and intakes. All on spaceplane designs that have flown numerous successful missions before. 

Edit: KSPI-E version 1.21.5 internal fuel mode is working, atmospheric is not. Version 1.21.3 had no issues for me.

Edited by Drtyhppy2

1 hour ago, Drtyhppy2 said:

Running the latest version of KSPI-E for KSP 1.4.5 (using KSP 1.4.3 for OSX). I'm getting an "engine shutdown fuel missing" message with the thermal ramjet (haven't tested any others) with both atmospheric and internal fuel modes despite having plenty of fuel and intakes. All on spaceplane designs that have flown numerous successful missions before. 

Edit: KSPI-E version 1.21.5 internal fuel mode is working, atmospheric is not. Version 1.21.3 had no issues for me.

What are you using as a thermal power source? Is it still active, does it have fuel?

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

What are you using as a thermal power source? Is it still active, does it have fuel?

I've been using a Mk. 2 thermal receiver, definitely making sure it's active before activating the engines. I should also mention this is launching from the runway.

Edited by Drtyhppy2

8 minutes ago, Drtyhppy2 said:

I've been using a Mk. 2 thermal receiver, definitely making sure it's active before activating the engines. I should also mention this is launching from the runway.

The receiver might be active, but is it actually receiving power? You can usually tell by it glowing red, but looking at available power  on the thermal receiver

Edited by FreeThinker

I have my transmitter placed directly next to the runway, and the thermal receiver window indicated it was connected each time I tested it.  Also tested with the Mk 1 thermal receiver, confirmed connected and glowing, also tried multiple receivers with the engines connected directly,  but to no avail. Since I was able to get HTP to work with the Mk. 2 receiver in 1.21.5 I didn't muck around any further there, but just launched perfectly fine after reverting to 1.21.3. 

46 minutes ago, Drtyhppy2 said:

I have my transmitter placed directly next to the runway, and the thermal receiver window indicated it was connected each time I tested it.  Also tested with the Mk 1 thermal receiver, confirmed connected and glowing, also tried multiple receivers with the engines connected directly,  but to no avail. Since I was able to get HTP to work with the Mk. 2 receiver in 1.21.5 I didn't muck around any further there, but just launched perfectly fine after reverting to 1.21.3. 

Ok so you say it worked fine with 1.21.3 but not in 1.21.5 (what about 1.21.6?). Possibly there is a dll conflict. My first suspicion would be a conflict with Photon Sailor as it shares the same dll. Could you try remove Photon Sailer Folder and try again?

Edited by FreeThinker

On 5/21/2019 at 6:49 PM, wkwied said:

Indeed!

Now, I'm going to make a request... it may be a bit of a stretch... but..

Would anyone be able to provide me a craft that can SSTO anywhere (from an atmosphere, mind), with warp, and the ability to refuel most places? As is, I'm struggling to create a craft that can fly, and that can generate enough power for warp, and has enough stuff to ISRU in atmosphere and on airless bodies. I can't get all of them down. Any help or an example craft would be splendid. I'm only using the IE mod for parts.

I've tried combinations of antimatter reactors with thermal nozzles, areospike zpinch.. The closest I got was using a normal zpinch before it was changed to work poorly in atmospheres, but even then it was a bit underpowered with a trialpha reactor.

Many thanks

I've mostly succeeded with this ugly Liquid Helium based spaceplane. It uses just parts from KSPI and Interstellar Fuel Switch.    https://imgur.com/a/wdKLzpy?

It can land on and SSTO from Eve (though I'm not sure if it would have enough fuel left to warp after), and has the TWR and ISP to land on Tylo, but would need to be flown like a madman or reconfigured or have an engine to cushion the forward impact after landing on its nose. It has drills to mine regolith, from which helium can be refined with the ISRU. Alternately, the refrigerator can extract helium from atmospheres.

While Liquid Helium seems to be the best spaceplane fuel in KSPI, most parts don't seem to support it. The IFS tanks are pretty decent for Liquid Helium, though I still feel the lack of integration into other parts. The bulkiness is annoying but makes it easier to aerobrake. I did some wrapping with fairings to make up for bugged IFS drag values (see below), but it really would be so much nicer if a liquid helium option was added in all tanks using IFS. Real fuels configs with helium are totally messed up, too, so it will take a lot of tweaking to get a coherent helium setup.

@FreeThinkerI discovered that all the IFS nosecone or adapter parts create just ridiculous drag.

Example case here. The IFS nosecone tank is creating 337 drag, the (much larger) pure cylinder tank creates barely 2. They are attached correctly.

13 minutes ago, kerbnub said:

@FreeThinkerI discovered that all the IFS nosecone or adapter parts create just ridiculous drag.

Example case here. The IFS nosecone tank is creating 337 drag, the (much larger) pure cylinder tank creates barely 2. They are attached correctly.

But the pure cylinder tank is behind the nosecone tank right? That would mean all drag absorbed by the front tank

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

But the pure cylinder tank is behind the nosecone tank right? That would mean all drag absorbed by the front tank

It's far more than other nose cones in a similar situation, and the drag is also outsized (but not as much) when the pointy end faces backward.

There's some weirdness with the aerodynamics  on the graphene radiator winged edges, too; their CoL seems offset from where it should be.

https://imgur.com/no9F7Qo

https://imgur.com/a/0uooYrT

11 minutes ago, kerbnub said:

It's far more than other nose cones in a similar situation, and the drag is also outsized (but not as much) when the pointy end faces backward.

I wonder if there is anything I can do about it. Perhaps the drag setting affects it. What would be in your view acceptable drag for these parts?

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, kerbnub said:

There's some weirdness with the aerodynamics  on the graphene radiator winged edges, too; their CoL seems offset from where it should be.

https://imgur.com/no9F7Qo

https://imgur.com/a/0uooYrT

Seems to me this is some weirdness of KSP itself, These radiators are not wings, but flat radiators what are missing any CoL

6 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@FreeThinkerMine was powered by a Magnetized target fusion reactor and yes it had all the fuel.  I get the same "Engine missing - Fuel Missing" message when my world goes all wonky.

Its definitely something conflicting in the update that was just released.  Like I said I can fly multiple other vehicles no problem.  The second I fire up the Thermal Turbo/Ramjet game breaks.

Edited by flyguybc
Adding

5 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I wonder if there is anything I can do about it. Perhaps the drag setting affects it. What would be in your view acceptable drag for these parts?

I can't say I understand how the stock drag files are configured. I wanted to make a patch that made MK2 parts actually good in stock once upon a time, but all I could see in the cfgs were:

dragModelType, maximum_drag, minimum_drag,  angularDrag

and I couldn't really make sense of the differences between parts based on those. Stock has quite a few weird parts too, but this is quite the outlier.

Looking at your CDT2003 tank, it looks a lot more streamlined than the Protective Rocket Nosecone Mk7, but the CDT2003 gets 5x more drag at low speeds and past the sound barrier more like 67x more.

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Ok so you say it worked fine with 1.21.3 but not in 1.21.5 (what about 1.21.6?). Possibly there is a dll conflict. My first suspicion would be a conflict with Photon Sailor as it shares the same dll. Could you try remove Photon Sailer Folder and try again?

Trying again without photon sailor installed I'm still getting the same "engine shutdown fuel missing" message on the runway. And also, to clarify, in version 1.21.5 internal fuel mode on the thermal ramjet was working, but not atmospheric, and both modes are not working in 1.21.6 as shown below.

15FYnH1.png

1EBidsu.png

Edited by Drtyhppy2