KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

I'm seeing the Haber process in the ISRU refinery consume Nitrogen without producing ammonia, because I lack Hydrogen.  Also water electrolysis consumes the same amount of power even when there isn't enough water to use even 20% of it's capacity.

On 3-5-2017 at 11:19 AM, raxo2222 said:

I have suggestion: Engine perfomance should depend not only on % of waste heat, but on radiator temperatures too.

For example if I use titanum or graphene radiators and wasteheat is on 50% of capacity then engine should have better perfomance if non-graphene radiator is present, meaning its connected to lower temp wasteheat circuit.

Should work now in beta 1.13.2, which can be downloaded from here

Version 1.13.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2 can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-05-09

• Updated IFS to 2.5.0
  • updated Module Manager to 2.7.6
  • Added prioritise power management balancing
  • Added ability to switch Electric power generation priority
  • Added Integrated Low-efficiency Thermal Electric Alternator which runs at idle power supply to Nuclear Propulsion Engines
  • Added MHD generator lost it charged power converter but now have the capacity to function at maximum reactor core temperature
  • Added Ability of Multi-wavelength dishes to control pivot and rotation animation state
  • Added Ability of Gas Core Reactors to use UF4 or Enriched Uranium
  • Added LqdAmmonia to Ammonia conversion to Refrigerator
  • Added Skin Flat Graphene / Titanium Radiator which is meant to be put on wings (Thanks to @silversliver)
  • Added Staging thermal nozzle will automatically activate attached thermal receiver
  • Added Graphene radiator maximum temperature is now limited in atmospheres rather than surface area
  • Added small switchable liquid/gas fuel capacitors to ISRU Refrigerator
  • Added active Temperature between graphene and titanium radiators are the same while within upper-temperature limit
  • Balance Prioritize Reactor meant for power production, for power generation above reactors meant for propulsion
  • Balance: Vista D-T fusion is now available with Fusion Rocketry
  • Balance: Daedalus Fusion engine now available with Advanced Fusion
  • Balance: Increased Tech requirement of Charged Particles Electric Generator to High Power Electrical Systems
  • Balance: Reduced Graphene radiator performance in atmosphere by 50%
  • Balance: Converted Inline and Radial Radiator into Convector Radiators, giving them extremely well performance in atmospheres
  • Balance: Reduced waste heat storage buffer, making waste heat balance reach an equilibrium faster
  • Balance Reduce power AIM and Antimatter reactor
  • Balance Improve Fuel economy Antimatter reactor
  • Balance: MHD capability is limited to Open Cycle Gas Core Reactor
  • Balance Confinement Fusion Reactor core temperatures increased, Tokamak twice of Stellarator
  • Balance Reduced Tokamak Q factor by 33%
  • Balance: Allow Mou8nted ArcetRCS to me scaled up larger
  • Balance: Made Plasma nozzle available earlier, with plasma propulsion
  • Balance reduced tech requirement Nuclear Light Bulb
  • Fixed Atmospheric Composition at alien worlds
  • Fixed ISRU Processes
  • Fixed balance for charged particle fusion modes
  • Fixed balance radiators at low waste heat ratios
  • Fixed Thermal Receiver ability to function for propulsion
  • Fixed ORS message spamming in log
  • Fixed invalid Generator to Power source connections
  • Fixed bundled Persistent Rotation folder structure
  • Fixed VISTA from starving fusion reactors
  • Fixed some power management imbalances
  • Fixed Radiator stock cooling for umbrella radiator
  • Fixed Fuel input amount and waste products for QSR and Antimatter reactor
Edited by FreeThinker

This mod keeps going great guns and it's a delight to see all the new and upcoming features.

This post, however, is about two balance issues with existing features: tanks containing cooled liquids, and tank wet/dry ratios.

When I use TweakScale to change the size of any given tank containing liquid hydrogen, both the charge consumption and the boil-off rate scale with surface area. This is expected behavior and I agree that this is how things should work. Now, swap out your tank for one in the same series, scaled to the same diameter but having a different height. You will notice that your new tank's charge consumption is charge.original * (height.new / height.original). But that's not the ratio of the surface areas!

Now, swap out your tank for one in a different series. Again, you will notice a new ratio between surface area and both charge consumption and boil-off. To re-cap: This ratio is constant as you tweak scale any given tank, and changes if you swap to a new tank. One of these two facts should change, and I propose that it is the latter that is more physically incorrect.

Another issue: Tank dry to wet mass ratios. These differ radically between tank series in a way that makes it clear that this mod has not yet integrated the various sources of parts (and game balance choices) it draws on into a unified project. I am currently running this mod with a RealScale solar system. With this choice of map, wet/dry ratios for a lot of tanks need to rise dramatically to match real-world performances, especially with modern and projected technology. To take but one example, a pressurized gaseous Xenon tank built with 2017-level tech has a wet/dry ratio of roughly 20 (see example at http://www.cobham.com/mission-systems/composite-pressure-solutions/space-systems/xenon-propellant-tank-datasheet/docview/). However, if I were using this mod with a Kerbin-scale solar system, or even one x2 or x4 of Kerbin scale, wet/dry ratios need to rise by less, and for some tanks might even stand to be lowered.

Edited by Dawnstar

Alright, now that I made a new release, I would like to know what people think of the new release management in which I first  release beta releases in the development thread and only when feel it is stabilized, I make a big official release listing all the changes since the last official release

Edited by FreeThinker

1.13.3 appears to be having very serious issues with the candle engines. Ive repeatedly tested them on KSP and so far, (still testing) the candle appears a strong candidate for causing repeat crashes with 0ing out of career funds, and when deleted from the radio array it causes a loud pulsing audio burst. I've captured this all on twitch in my Dragons in Space, episode 20 stream.

If you're online go watch my stream and you can see the merticulous troubleshooting I am doing.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

Version 1.13.4 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2

Released on 2017-05-09

• Fix for exploding radiators and engine with build in radiators
  • Fix for VISTA fuel mode switching

Edited by FreeThinker

Free thinker, currently still performing troubleshooting on the candle in my stream. It's starting to look like two possibilities, either the candle has a malformed bottom connector that isn't doing well with staging in a fairing, or the fairing/separator combo I'm using itself is not interacting well with the trio of candles I'm using as the bottom of the payload due to their proximity so that when it deploys to the launchpad it gets confused as to where it should connect.

Waiting for ksp to load as we speak. The probe itself loaded fine to the pad, clearing all parts on board. The sub assembly with the fairing has loaded to the pad with other payloads before so it is something with their interactions at the connector point that is causing the crash.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

Thanks for new release.

I just recognized that the changelog.txt inside the archive is way old ...

Yes, I should probably just remove it, it's pointless to keep it up to date.

First, thank you for this great mod. Only this mod with planets mods keep me hooked to KSP. But I have got one strange problem with the newest version. Almost all parts with electric generators give me in VAB NaN price and NaN weight, so I cannot launch any new ship. Because yesterday it worked fine and I have only changed KSPI-E with CKAN, I think this problem could be related to the newest version of KSPI-E.

Edited by Danyel_2004
Minor spelling and gammar errors

Version 1.13.5 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2 which can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-05-09

• Fixed a divide by 0 error which would cause any new vessel with wasteheat to crash the game
Edited by FreeThinker

For me the KSPI category (group in 'filter by function') went missing :o

And the KSPI custom category with subcategories is missing many parts, e.g. the Tokamak/Stellarator reactors are nowhere to be found in those.

Is it intention, that the stellarator reactor in proton-boron11 fusion mode (andprobably others too) does provide whether charged particles to be converted (direct converter) or thermal energy (KTEC solid state converter) but not both at the same time? I would have expected of the reactor to always provide thermal energy and with the right fuel charged particles too.

Edited by emerald

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.13.5 for Kerbal Space Program 1.2.2 which can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-05-09

• Fixed a divide by 0 error which would cause any new vessel with wasteheat to crash the game

This solved my problem with NaN in VAB apparently, thank you very much and keep up very good work!

17 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, now that I made a new release, I would like to know what people think of the new release management in which I first  release beta releases in the development thread and only when feel it is stabilized, I make a big official release listing all the changes since the last official release

Whatever works best for you. If people don't like how you're pushing releases they can just not use the mod. On that note, I realize that for all your effort you'll want to make it easy for the most people as possible to want to use of KSPI-E. I think splitting the releases this way makes it more obvious to people when they need to upgrade versus when they can choose to upgrade, so that's a good thing I guess.

15 hours ago, emerald said:

Is it intention, that the stellarator reactor in proton-boron11 fusion mode (andprobably others too) does provide whether charged particles to be converted (direct converter) or thermal energy (KTEC solid state converter) but not both at the same time? I would have expected of the reactor to always provide thermal energy and with the right fuel charged particles too.

Sorry I don't understand, exactly is the problem? The intended functionality is that it tries to convert reactor energy in the most efficient method avialable, and prevent wasteheat buildup

Edited by FreeThinker

8 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Sorry I don't understand, exactly is the problem? The intended functionality is that it tries to convert reactor energy in the most efficient method avialable, and prevent wasteheat buildup

Ok, so as long as the energy of the charged particles is converted there's no energy left to convert in the first place, heat and charged particles are not treated as different kinds of energy and counted and treated separately of each other. I misunderstood the direct energy conversion, which i assumed would only ever convert charged particles and leave the thermal energy to be used/converted otherwise.

4 minutes ago, emerald said:

Ok, so as long as the energy of the charged particles is converted there's no energy left to convert in the first place, heat and charged particles are not treated as different kinds of energy and counted and treated separately of each other. I misunderstood the direct energy conversion, which i assumed would only ever convert charged particles and leave the thermal energy to be used/converted otherwise.

Well yes if a reactor is producing 95% charged particles and is only connected to a charged particle electric generator, it would only convert the 95% charged particle power and the remaining power would become wasteheat.

When I scale up the engines added by KSPI, the change to thrust and isp displays on kerbal engineer until i reattach the engine or change its propellant, at which time it reverts back to the initial sizes thrust, ie when I scale a thermal nozzle up to 3.75, the change seems to not actually take place. Launching while kerbal engineer displays the larger thrust values does not work, the engine or nozzle reverts on launch to having the thrust of the unscaled original.  Ive completely unstalled ksp and reinstalled fresh, and only installed kspi, tweakscale, kopernicus, galactic expansion, and kerbal engineer redux. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

2 hours ago, Astante said:

When I scale up the engines added by KSPI, the change to thrust and isp displays on kerbal engineer until i reattach the engine or change its propellant, at which time it reverts back to the initial sizes thrust, ie when I scale a thermal nozzle up to 3.75, the change seems to not actually take place. Launching while kerbal engineer displays the larger thrust values does not work, the engine or nozzle reverts on launch to having the thrust of the unscaled original.  Ive completely unstalled ksp and reinstalled fresh, and only installed kspi, tweakscale, kopernicus, galactic expansion, and kerbal engineer redux. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

KER isn't so good at working with KSPI engines, particularly in the editor. 

Usually it works a little better in flight, as MechJeb does.

Sorry, i was trying to use the KER information to explain my problem, I've seen that the VAB values dont always equal the values in flight. If i scale a thermal or plasma nozzle up from its base size, it still produces the same thrust, same isp. I have tried it with a large surplus of thermal and charged particles respectively, and it is not a lack of resources or cooling causing a change. Nansuchao's signature has a link to an interstellar extended guide, and under the heading MAGNETIC NOZZLE, it shows 2 pictures of magnetic nozzles, one at base size, the other scaled larger with much more thrust. Mine won't scale like that, the larger version has the same thrust (well, slightly lower when accounting for the extra weight of the scaled engine). All of my KSPI engines I have unlocked have the same issue.

sorry for posting in the wrong tread (i googled kerbal kspi and went to the first link)

re posting my q

can some one explain wat number are used in calculating  the EC generated by the solid core?

g808cki.jpg

Edited by danielboro

@danielboro To answer your question, it is derived from a percentage of total power output from the reactor. Normally this would be quite significant except if you have Near Future installed, this number is decreased by a factor of 500, which might seem that it is no longer, or producing any power or very little power. This is a bug and will be fixed next release

Edited by FreeThinker