KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

Hey free thinker I was wondering what you think of EEStor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEStor 

And the whole capacitor-battery thing.

Iv heard a clam that a brake threw in this would make solar 75-100x more effective and the use of both together with the EM drive would make inter-staler travel a possibility. 

I know a instant charge battery at 1/10 the size would massively change every day life as is but how would it really effect space travel. 

1 hour ago, Lordmaddog said:

Hey free thinker I was wondering what you think of EEStor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEStor

It would be cool if it worked, but I'm afraid it is just a  technology scam.

1 hour ago, Lordmaddog said:

Iv heard a clam that a brake threw in this would make solar 75-100x more effective and the use of both together with the EM drive would make inter-staler travel a possibility.

Nope even if it did work, you really going to need a real power source capable of megawatt power. Batteries would be good only for bridging power shortages at startup or cooldown

Edited by FreeThinker

37 minutes ago, proteasome said:

Any easy reason my linear RCS ports might not be working? If I place a linear monoprop port it works. I have an inline hydrazine RCS tank on the same craft that's working properly, I just need these two rear linear ports for translation-throttle. 

JklbZWf.jpg

To use them as throttle, you need to activate it with the Throttle button. Otherwise RCS forward.

Edited by FreeThinker

9 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

To use them as throttle, you need to activate it with the Throttle button. Otherwise RCS forward.

I was able to fix my problem by using a different part (the 5-way retractable resistojet) but not able to get the linear one working. if you can see in my screenshot, I'm holding RCS forward but no power to the jet.

Edited by proteasome

42 minutes ago, proteasome said:

I was able to fix my problem by using a different part (the 5-way retractable resistojet) but not able to get the linear one working. if you can see in my screenshot, I'm holding RCS forward but no power to the jet.

Have you tried placing the linear thrust at other locations? perhaps it's a fuel distribution problem ..

4 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Have you tried placing the linear thrust at other locations? perhaps it's a fuel distribution problem ..

Yep, see picture above. Two ports are literally on the hydrazine tank, another one is attached to the reactor, another is on top. Wasn't able to get any of them working...

On 30.01.2017 at 9:47 AM, FreeThinker said:

The maximum theoretical speed in KSPI-E is 1000c, good luck getting that high

Btw, Has anyone played around yet with the new atmosphere extractor yet, or any of the new functionally added recently?

Hyperedited my test ship with atmosphere extractor to Eve orbit. Got yellow clock and error in log, just after enabling it:
[LOG 16:02:34.834] [KSPI] - Exception while loading atmospheric resources : System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[AtmosphericResource] (IEnumerable1 source, System.Func2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[AtmosphericResource] (IEnumerable1 source, System.Func2 predicate) [0x00000] in :0
at FNPlugin.AtmosphericResourceHandler.AddRaresAndIsotopesToAdmosphereComposition (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 bodyAtmosphericComposition, .CelestialBody celestialBody) [0x00000] in :0
at FNPlugin.AtmosphericResourceHandler.GetAtmosphericCompositionForBody (Int32 refBody) [0x00000] in :0

Just created pull request wit fix on github.

35 minutes ago, ms6107 said:

Hyperedited my test ship with atmosphere extractor to Eve orbit. Got yellow clock and error in log, just after enabling it:
[LOG 16:02:34.834] [KSPI] - Exception while loading atmospheric resources : System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[AtmosphericResource] (IEnumerable1 source, System.Func2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in :0
at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[AtmosphericResource] (IEnumerable1 source, System.Func2 predicate) [0x00000] in :0
at FNPlugin.AtmosphericResourceHandler.AddRaresAndIsotopesToAdmosphereComposition (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 bodyAtmosphericComposition, .CelestialBody celestialBody) [0x00000] in :0
at FNPlugin.AtmosphericResourceHandler.GetAtmosphericCompositionForBody (Int32 refBody) [0x00000] in :0

Just created pull request wit fix on github.

thanks

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

I think you have to re puchase it in the tech tree

Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the fix. Tech Tree indicates that I already own the parts. I should also say that the parts were not greyed out in the VAB/SPH; they are not present at all. Worth noting, the other parts in 'experimental rocketry' are all avalable to me in the VAB/SPH.

nEWwT73.png

Edited by Swedishish

3 minutes ago, Swedishish said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to be the fix. Tech Tree indicates that I already own the parts. I should also say that the parts were not greyed out in the VAB/SPH; they are not present at all. Worth noting, the other parts in 'experimental rocketry' are all avalable to me in the VAB/SPH.

nEWwT73.png

Well, according to this picture, you haven't researched Experimental Rocketry yet. All thermal rocket nozzle are now unlocked with experiment rocketry to allow you to use them without any research in nuclear propulsion. A example of a scheme would be to produce the electric power by a nuclear reactor located at the surface, beam it to space , collect the power using a thermal receiver and use it for propulsion

Edited by FreeThinker

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well, according to this picture, you haven't researched Experimental Rocketry yet.

Derp. Nope. I was being a dummy. Sorry! My mistake was that the thermal turbojet and nozzle are now both present in High Efficiency Nuclear Propulsionn, and it doesn't indicate that they are upgrades there. 

15 minutes ago, Swedishish said:

Derp. Nope. I was being a dummy. Sorry! My mistake was that the thermal turbojet and nozzle are now both present in High Efficiency Nuclear Propulsionn, and it doesn't indicate that they are upgrades there. 

This is a stock issue. What you see it is the state when they were initially unlocked. But they are now truly unlocked now happens in experimental rocketry 

24 minutes ago, Swedishish said:

nEWwT73.png

By the way, what do those mini hammers represent? What mod adds those?

Edited by FreeThinker

22 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I think you goofed.

The Science Laboratory now shows a data cap of 10000 but the science cap is still at 1000, 3000 for the upgrade version.

This does nothing about the issue mentioned upthread about having to transmit frequently, by my understanding of how the labs work this is a major boost to what they can produce.  I think you changed the wrong variable!

Alright, then how should I change it?

8 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

It's the science cap that should be changed, not the data cap.

The data cap is what you can put in the lab, the science cap is what it can hold before transmitting.  I don't understand why the latter even exists.

Thanks for the explanation. I have to admit, I haven't used it much.

11 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

The data cap is what you can put in the lab, the science cap is what it can hold before transmitting.  I don't understand why the latter even exists.

Cause the stock science lab is already overpowered. The data and science limit is to counter that. So one has to do something at least something (switch to it, click transmit science), to get the science.

@FreeThinker

When one pushes experiment results to the lab, it generates data points. At the stock lab there is cap at 750 max. Then the data points get converted to science points over time (data points x 5 = science points). The science points have a cap of 500 max, so after filling the data by pushing experiments to it, the main task is to transmit the science in regular intervals from the LAB to the space center. One more thing is, as more data is in the lab, as faster the conversion is running. So it is helpful, to keep the data value from 50-100% filled.

The science lab has already much power (cause the x5 multiplier) to unlock the half/whole tech tree with some experiments. The _only_ downside to it is, you have some manual work (push data in, timwarp, send science home).
So playing with data cap and the science cap in my opinion is a big balancing factor.

I cannot say what I would like. Sure, small values are sometimes annoying. But if both would be 10000 maybe, it's almost a fire and forget weapon to unlock the complete science tree. Which would be to easy. Maybe one should go like 10x stock, so 7500 science cap and 5000 data cap. But even that is a (maybe to) huge gain compared to the stock lab. Maybe 5x stock?

One may not forget that the conversion speed is determined by the scientist level and how much the lab-data is filled in percent. So if the lab has a high data cap one needs to put in much data to make it go efficient. OK, that's at least one "downside" to the KSP-I-lab, which is good in this case, to have a downside, to make it not to easy.

Edited by Jebs_SY

3 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

Cause the stock science lab is already overpowered. The data and science limit is to counter that. So one has to do something at least something (switch to it, click transmit science), to get the science

I agree, that's why I think this mod would be a solution

@okder  I hope I say this correctly, but to my understanding the great thing about this mod is that it limits the amount of data that can be generated from science data.

My current idea is to make KSPI-E lab performance almost similar to stock Science Lab and only give it a significant boost when Fair Lab is installed.

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker

Well, if it's like stock, it is redundant. And one has to say, KSP-I with CTT does also need (much?) more science to unlock the whole tech tree.
At least my highly-modded CTT game in normal difficulty needs around 150.000 science points to unlock the whole CTT (exept 2 unused nodes).
In my opinion 2-3 times the stock cap(s) value would be great, so it's a "advanced" lab. (When fair lab is not installed).
I think you could also raise the energy/conversion cost, to make the "advanced lab" more expensive in costs of energy to pay for that.
But as the time-efficiency of the lab goes down, the less (data) it is filled, there is also a direct downside to a higher cap, cause the time-efficiency goes down when you didn't have enoug data to fill it up.
So overall there is some balancing... higher cap ... (maybe more energy) and less time efficency when not enough data is aviable to fill it up.

Edited by Jebs_SY

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

I agree, that's why I think this mod would be a solution

@okder  I hope I say this correctly, but to my understanding the great thing about this mod is that it limits the amount of data that can be generated from science data.

My current idea is to make KSPI-E lab performance almost similar to stock Science Lab and only give it a significant boost when Fair Lab is installed.

for initial kspie lab boost already there, i wanted more for advanced lab(but it did not worked well so now i waiting for advice how better that should be written),

data concept fully disabled, all work done through science i.e. bonus science comes as separate research with same science value (if you want full bonus then several conditions needs to be fulfilled), research is seen in science archives screen with "from lab"  keywords (other title's words is mostly the same as in original research one's), so no cheating with multiple labs would allow more science, than can be obtained with only one top lab with top scientists (with correct conditions)

for example (bonus from two level 2 scientists, stock lab)

OpU3VJG.jpg

Edited by okder

1 hour ago, okder said:

for initial kspie lab boost already there, i wanted more for advanced lab(but it did not worked well so now i waiting for advice how better that should be written),

I think the easiest method would to simply set a custom variable in KSPI Science lab, which will tthe apply some sort of bonus to stock research partmodule

Just now, FreeThinker said:

I think the easiest method would to simply set a custom variable in KSPI Science lab, which will tthe apply some sort of bonus to stock research partmodule

that was done and worked, but i wanted to add more bonus to more advanced version of kspi lab, and that's failed.

8 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Don't worry, I will add some functionality which will care of that

however you should remember that FairLab code don't use stock ResearchLab module at all, it uses it's own module(and settings, i showed config example), stock data storage was set to zero, to disable data,

other functionality (clearing experiments) from unmodified stock.

Edited by okder