KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

11 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

I've honestly tried to get into this mod probably 25 times, and every single time I simply get frustrated and give up. Even after watching tutorials, even after reading everything online, I always just give up because nothing in this mod seems to be worth the effort due to the high costs/high weight of everything.

Sure the ISP values on the engines are high, but when your ship (in orbit) weights 10 times more than stock due to the massive weight of the reactors/generators, what is the point? I can usually get the same DV at 1/5 to 1/10 the cost in stock.

Am I missing something or what?

Think SpaceX, not Apollo.

Don't throw away your ship after a single mission.

33 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

I've honestly tried to get into this mod probably 25 times, and every single time I simply get frustrated and give up. Even after watching tutorials, even after reading everything online, I always just give up because nothing in this mod seems to be worth the effort due to the high costs/high weight of everything.

Sure the ISP values on the engines are high, but when your ship (in orbit) weights 10 times more than stock due to the massive weight of the reactors/generators, what is the point? I can usually get the same DV at 1/5 to 1/10 the cost in stock.

I’m using a ship right now with a little over 380,000 m/s. It was expensive, sure, but now all I need is the one ship. Spend a little time messing with it and you’ll be able to do some pretty awesome things. 

So in my new career I was trying to augment my first orbital science lab with a msr/TEG add-on so it wouldnt run out of EC when it's in Gael's shadow. The add on had a .625m msr in uranium mode and .625 teg and some small extendable radiators and a Klaw to clamp on to the science lab. But once it connects, the reactor seems to stop making thermal power (says active 0.0% in reactor window) and the only way to make it make some power is to shut it down so decay heating creates some megajoules. any reason you could point to as the culprit of why this doesnt work? Also since I'm already asking a question here, I haven't gotten out there to test it yet but does KSPIE implement the strong magnetospere around the gas giant Gauss that the GPP wiki says it's supposed to have?

On 2018-02-19 at 9:29 AM, Loren Pechtel said:

Think SpaceX, not Apollo.

Don't throw away your ship after a single mission.

That is fair. However it seems to impossible right now to make anything with any useful payload and still have a decent TWR (0.5 or higher) unless I use the Vista drive. 

In fact based on my testing there is basically no reason to use anything but the Vista drive, as it has amazing DV, TWR, and is able to do all of this on a pebble bed reactor with a thermal generator and some radiators  

Is the Vista drive OP compared to the rest of the mod?

I haven’t unlocked the antimatter tiers yet, which I assume will have better tech than the Vista, but considered how early you get the Vista in the community tech tree, it blows everything else away in the meantime. 

Version 1.16.8 for Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1 can be downloaded from here

Released on 2018-02-20

• Added localization for Electric engine and Alcubierre warp engine
  • Added Spanish localization
  • Added additional Chinese localization
  • Balanced : reduced thermal wasteheat Kerbstein Fusion Engine
  • Fixed English part descriptions
  • Fixed issue with Circular solar panel
  • Fixed with Antimatter storage tanks exploding when unloading
  • Fixed issue with ongoing power generation
  • Fixed issue with offline tritium breeding
  • Fixed issue with offline antimatter collecting
  • Fixed compatibility with Kerbalsim

2 hours ago, MechBFP said:

That is fair. However it seems to impossible right now to make anything with any useful payload and still have a decent TWR (0.5 or higher) unless I use the Vista drive. 

In fact based on my testing there is basically no reason to use anything but the Vista drive, as it has amazing DV, TWR, and is able to do all of this on a pebble bed reactor with a thermal generator and some radiators  

Is the Vista drive OP compared to the rest of the mod?

I haven’t unlocked the antimatter tiers yet, which I assume will have better tech than the Vista, but considered how early you get the Vista in the community tech tree, it blows everything else away in the meantime. 

Moving around between planets a TWR of .5 is fine.

4 hours ago, Jumberlack said:

So in my new career I was trying to augment my first orbital science lab with a msr/TEG add-on so it wouldnt run out of EC when it's in Gael's shadow. The add on had a .625m msr in uranium mode and .625 teg and some small extendable radiators and a Klaw to clamp on to the science lab. But once it connects, the reactor seems to stop making thermal power (says active 0.0% in reactor window) and the only way to make it make some power is to shut it down so decay heating creates some megajoules. any reason you could point to as the culprit of why this doesnt work?

It's a known bug, after docking or undocking you need to save->load  to get reactors working again.

On 2/19/2018 at 10:17 AM, MechBFP said:

positron+molten salt reactors are a hell of a drug

@SpaceMouse Great concept which appears to be more robust than the EM drive which no one seems to really understand. One great feature which sets the MEGA drive apart from the EM drive is that is starting to become more powerful the faster you go. This would make it great with combining other drives which would first allow you to speed up to high speed before this engine real start to become effective.

If you can provide me with an engine model I will integrate it into KSPIE.

Edited by FreeThinker

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@SpaceMouse Great concept which appears to be more robust than the EM drive which no one seems to really understand. One great feature which sets the MEGA drive apart from the EM drive is that is starting to become more powerful the faster you go. This would make it great with combining other drives which would first allow you to speed up to high speed before this engine real start to become effective.

If you can provide me with an engine model I will integrate it into KSPIE.

Awesome. I haven't found a ton of useful diagrams as to what it might look like... It was about the second thing I thought of after I stumbled on the concept. :D I originally thought the EM drive was supposed to be affected by speed but, as speed is relative, I'm a bit confused as to how it would have a effect.

Hi all.

I'm having trouble getting data from the computer core.

After upgrading, I only see the Data Collection Rate : 0.00/Day.  I think I'm getting enough power and I even have a lab, but nothing is working.

I think I'm missing something simple.

Thanks!

computer.png

1 hour ago, UnknownEclipse said:

I am encountering a bug (I think) with every one of the thermal engines. I connect them directly to an antimatter initiated fusion reactor, and they have fuel, but they produce 0 thrust. The engine plumes still show up, but the thrust is set at 0 kn. Any tips?

That's not much info to go on, but here's my best guess:

Are you testing this on the launchpad? The engine window shows a "threshold" value which basically says how much thrust you're losing due to atmosphere, it can easily bring you down to 0. Power through with a much larger reactor, use a higher-thrust propellant or use a different engine for your first stage.

12 hours ago, enewmen said:

Hi all.

I'm having trouble getting data from the computer core.

After upgrading, I only see the Data Collection Rate : 0.00/Day.  I think I'm getting enough power and I even have a lab, but nothing is working.

I think I'm missing something simple.

Thanks!

computer.png

It sais that powered is False and AI Online switch is missing. Have you tried reloading it?

Edited by FreeThinker

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

It sais that powered is False and AI Online switch is missing. Have you tried reloading it?

I tried to reboot / reload.  Same problem.  Next I'll try to re-install Intersellar.

EDIT:  After doing a clean install, same problem.

Edited by enewmen

Ok.

After running in Sandbox mode, I got further.

But I still don't see any data being added and the Collect Data button seems to do nothing - maybe because I can't collect ANY data while in Sandbox mode.

This makes me think I'm missing a tech-tree node in the carrier mode.

computer2.png

Edited by enewmen

6 hours ago, enewmen said:

Ok.

After running in Sandbox mode, I got further.

But I still don't see any data being added and the Collect Data button seems to do nothing - maybe because I can't collect ANY data while in Sandbox mode.

This makes me think I'm missing a tech-tree node in the carrier mode.

computer2.png

My experience is that you need to "retrofit" Computer Core using a Kerbal for it to become self-aware. I don't know if it's a feature or a bug though. Perhaps it's not needed in Sandbox mode.

Edited by Arivald Ha'gel

47 minutes ago, Arivald Ha'gel said:

My experience is that you need to "retrofit" Computer Core using a Kerbal for it to become self-aware. I don't know if it's a feature or a bug though. Perhaps it's not needed in Sandbox mode.

I did retrofit.  That's how I got the "AGI Core" and Data Collection Rate:  0.000 in the carrier mode.  I think I also did the retrofit in the Sandbox - That time I got a Data Collection Rate - but no data was being stored.  Made me think no data is needed in the Sandbox and I'm missing a tech-tree node.

Still confused.

9 hours ago, enewmen said:

I did retrofit.  That's how I got the "AGI Core" and Data Collection Rate:  0.000 in the carrier mode.  I think I also did the retrofit in the Sandbox - That time I got a Data Collection Rate - but no data was being stored.  Made me think no data is needed in the Sandbox and I'm missing a tech-tree node.

Still confused.

I'm reproducing the issue myself. There's something wrong going on. I'll be investigating.

Edit:

My investigation points to the need to reload the vehicle 2 times:

- at first retrofit the core. Reload.

- enable the core. Reload.

- At this point it will be powered and upgraded.

Collect Data will give experiment results (but not in pure sandbox mode).

I'll make it so that Core doesn't needs reloads and proper buttons are visible when appropriate.

Edited by Arivald Ha'gel

10 hours ago, Arivald Ha'gel said:

I'm reproducing the issue myself. There's something wrong going on. I'll be investigating.

Edit:

My investigation points to the need to reload the vehicle 2 times:

- at first retrofit the core. Reload.

- enable the core. Reload.

- At this point it will be powered and upgraded.

Collect Data will give experiment results (but not in pure sandbox mode).

I'll make it so that Core doesn't needs reloads and proper buttons are visible when appropriate.

Yes:  I was able to get the computer core like you said:

I enabled retrofit, then went to the tracking station. Went back to the vehicle and pressed AI Online, then went to the tracking station again.

Loaded the vehicle.  Now I'm able to collect and reset data !!

Thanks for the help !

Suggestion:

Please add a label that shows how much data has been currently collected if possible.

Edited by enewmen

Hey guys, I have been editing the RealPlume config in every way I could come up with, and I can't get an effect to show up on the RealPlume config for the Thermal Turbojet's non-atmospheric fuels.

It works just fine for the intake atmosphere, but it is not there for other fuels. In addition to that, I've also tried to add the "wind" smoke effect for the intake atmosphere,, because it makes sense to me visually, and I can't get that to work either.

I've been working on this for 2 days and many hours, and I can't get it to work, so I need some help!

Thank everyone!

5 hours ago, enewmen said:

Yes:  I was able to get the computer core like you said:

I enabled retrofit, then went to the tracking station. Went back to the vehicle and pressed AI Online, then went to the tracking station again.

Loaded the vehicle.  Now I'm able to collect and reset data !!

Thanks for the help !

Suggestion:

Please add a label that shows how much data has been currently collected if possible.

That and few other changes to Computer Core are ready. And I hope will be included in the next release.