KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

On 4/15/2018 at 2:01 AM, kerp said:

I found no reliable way to reach a stable orbit before the Light-bulb explodes from stock overheating - or at least only with a very small payload. Sometimes I just made it out of the atmosphere, turned the engines of, quickly turned on loads of "umbrellas" (hoping that might help, which it probably can't) but all the Lightbulbs still went *boom* 3 seconds later (it continues to generate heat for a bit after you turn it off.. also I think an air cooling multiplier or something might fall away suddenly, which also can kick overheat over the edge at that point). The one time I managed to get out of the atmosphere with a big ship + engines intact, the "stock heat" went down so slowly that I didn't mange to stabilize the orbit and crashed back down after a long fight with gravity + heat. It's almost a totally different game xD

Anyway: With heatProductionMult set to 0.3 on the other hand, I got into a stable orbit without any problems with a decently sized rocket-ship.

heatProductionMult 0.3 leaves plenty of room for errors - on Kerbal at least. 0.4 - 0.5 would probably already have been hard , I'll try that another time. Anything above 0.8 is probably close to impossible - unless you don't have any luggage and can afford to make something with a really high TWR.

The waste heat output of the Lightbulbs on the other hand looks either too low -  or rather the waste heat storage looks too generous (maybe due to tweakscale?). My current vessel somehow ended up with 400k waste heat storage maximum which I probably couldn't max out if I wanted to with that vessel. Is that how waste heat works? Still haven't really seen it in action yet. The recommended amount of cooling for my vessel was ~100GW. Because I planned to do mostly short bursts with those engines I brought "only" ~10GW. But getting to a stable orbit only generated 4-5k waste heat... if I interpret the numbers correctly, 400k storage means I could just leave the radiators at home and carry all waste heat with me forever?

Radiators in KSPI show two temperature values, "part temp" is for stock heat and "rad temp" is for "wasteheat". Those two do not interact at all so a radiator can be both 250 and 3700 degrees at the same time, which is super weird and unintuitive...

There are "Heat Exchanger" parts you can add, they act as a buffer for stock heat(when turned on) and may be enough to get you through a long atmospheric burn. Or just use a different propellant, with anything besides hydrogen heat rarely becomes a problem.

Wasteheat is mostly a non-issue if you're using thermal propulsion, you may need a small radiator for long burns but that's all. Energy conversion generates wasteheat, from thermal to electric and then from electric to engines, beamed power, etc.

I'm having some difficulty with the Solid Fuel Electric Fission Reactor, from the description I assumed it would work like a reactor+Thermal Electric Generator. However, when I have a simple ship with some radiators, the Solid Fuel Electric Fission Reactor, a Diode Laser Array and a Multi Bandwidth Dish Transceiver, I get no wall-to-beam power. The same set-up, but with a Molten Salt Generator+Thermal Electric Generator does generate power. What exactly is not going right here?

On 4/11/2018 at 11:47 AM, maranble14 said:

Downloaded and installed the latest version of KSP Interstellar yesterday, but was getting an error where KSP would stop loading all together when it was loading the PartRecipe modules from the mod. Suggestions?

Edit: figured out that it was a compatibility issue with OSE workshop. Odd, because OSE was compatible with my current version of KSP.

Ever figure out what was going on with OSE? I want to play with KSPI, but to be honest am unwilling to give up the ability to produce parts on-site.

On 17-4-2018 at 11:24 PM, MrBaccano said:

I'm having some difficulty with the Solid Fuel Electric Fission Reactor, from the description I assumed it would work like a reactor+Thermal Electric Generator. However, when I have a simple ship with some radiators, the Solid Fuel Electric Fission Reactor, a Diode Laser Array and a Multi Bandwidth Dish Transceiver, I get no wall-to-beam power. The same set-up, but with a Molten Salt Generator+Thermal Electric Generator does generate power. What exactly is not going right here?

The Solid Fuel Electric Fission Reactor, has an integrated electric power generator, so you won't have to attach it to any power generator to it, it might even be detrimental.

15 hours ago, Darinth said:

Ever figure out what was going on with OSE? I want to play with KSPI, but to be honest am unwilling to give up the ability to produce parts on-site.

Just a note if there are still issues, you can do the same with "Extraplanetary Launchpads" and that's fully compatible. Though it's clunkier as it's primarily meant for building whole ships, not just parts.

There are still issues. I wish the EL had the capacity to just select parts to build. You're correct that it's technically possible to do this, but unless I'm unaware of something the only way is to build a 'ship' with just that part and then use EL to construct it.

2 hours ago, Darinth said:

There are still issues. I wish the EL had the capacity to just select parts to build. You're correct that it's technically possible to do this, but unless I'm unaware of something the only way is to build a 'ship' with just that part and then use EL to construct it.

Yes, or a subassembly. Then use KIS to move it into place, or give it control, RCS and a claw/docking port.

It's just a temporary solution.

Can someone please help me figure out why my beamed power relays won't work? I've looked up countless old youtube videos, incomplete tutorials, broken wikis and found a ton of information that hasn't helped me much over the last two weeks. This is my third full try to get this to work (I previously tried with the massive phased power transceivers and the omni/polygon-looking-things power).

My power station is generating and transmitting power. I only put three relays up with plans for a forth but I am burning through money. The relays are set to relay mode. Crafts on the ground and in orbit get zero power from relays but get power from the power station when it's in LOS. The network info only shows one satellite and zero relays.

I've tried turning them on and off again, I've tried changing their settings. I set up a test network using vehicles on the ground and it worked. This has happened with all three attempts of my power stations and relays. Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Album a/svXf2is will appear when post is submitted
Edited by shifty303

What will happen if I will place more than one beam generator (each one set on different wavelenght) on a single space station, powered by a single reactor? Is it going to work?

Or is it better to stick to the rule "one station - one wavelenght" ?

And the same about relays... Is it possible to make a relay satelite mirror/relay more than one wavelenght? (for example - 6 dishes on a satelite to relay 3 different waves) ?

Edited by falcoon

4 hours ago, falcoon said:

What will happen if I will place more than one beam generator (each one set on different wavelenght) on a single space station, powered by a single reactor? Is it going to work?

And the same about relays... Is it possible to make a relay satelite mirror/relay more than one wavelenght? (for example - 6 dishes on a satelite to relay 3 different waves) ?

Currently, a power transmitter can be connected to only a single beam generator, meaning any additional beam generators won't work, but it might change in the future ...

Only mirrors will relay multiple  wavelengths at the same time

I have a question, If I were have a pebblebed reactor, throw a thermal gen on that, and connect a mirror to the other side of the thermal gen.  Would the thermal gen be able to switch to the mirror if the mirror was active and receiving more power than the pebblebed?

On 4/25/2018 at 12:44 PM, falcoon said:

yes, it all works,
that sayed: i cross relayed a medium Multi band-with transceiver. wich is probebly unrealistic as the transmitter would need the pivot.
As far as i checked Relay dishes have 2 dishes where the smaller is able 2 transmit. this means you can use both dishes on each transceiver.  It's probebly not ment so that can be a bad plan if you update :)

2 wavelengths shouldn't be a problem theoretically and are working. you need a double beam generator and double transmitter.

Advantage: (2 wavelenghts)

- So theoretically you could beam up 2 times the amount through 2 dishes, But only after you max out your Dish Capacity,  Spot sizes can determent the size of your dish like it's nobody's business, and that can greatly increase capacity. losing this advantage completely
- admospheric absorbtion: any one wavelenght step could make a difference ( i don't know if this would be enough ) you can look at maybe far-ultra violet versus near ultraviolet 55% vs 90% absorption and some wall to beam power, could help you overcome some places for only ~2x the spotsize.
- Your network has adhoc capability, if you change your receiver bandwidth.
- Bug: you could exploit a spotsize bug. but if that's fixed and your relying on it your doomed :) i won't elaborate on it here.
- could give your network a bit more range with a traveling craft.

- or you could use a different spectrum for different planets
- 1 Reactor/generator/Cooling System Needed

Disadvantages:
- flexibility in the size of your 2 dishes is mostly lost.
- "dish size" closely need to setup for the highest wavelength as long as spot size is your determination for dish size
- if your dish isn't supposed to transmit and receive at the same time this can change with the next patch :)
- Your "beamer" needs 2 beam generators and 2 dishes.
- overall complexity increases
- your space plane must be able to choose the beam or be specifically meant for the correct beam.
- similar advantages can be gained if you can and want to change the wavelength of your network manually(making it useless with some switching)
- their are gonna be limited options to make this work. with even more science requirements
- if your beam generator is on kerbin ground you have additional problems

all together: it's not gonna be great, but i'm sure you can be really smart with it.
I think most of the perks are gonna be in a little flexibility while flying. maybe keeping your network relevant for 1 planets further or do some error-correction :) witch is still cool.

10 hours ago, arjen stavast said:

I think most of the perks are gonna be in a little flexibility while flying. maybe keeping your network relevant for 1 planets further or do some error-correction :) witch is still cool.

Wouldn't it be far more efficient just to use a Free Electron Laser as a beam generator, and switch wavelengths on-demand? Instead of trying to transmit in two wavelengths at once.

10 hours ago, arjen stavast said:

- Bug: you could exploit a spotsize bug. but if that's fixed and your relying on it your doomed :) i won't elaborate on it here.

Please do elaborate on bugs so they can be fixed. If you need it to cheat then there are actual cheats you can use, or you can stay on an old version. Don't hurt the mod for such a selfish reason.

11 hours ago, samooo2 said:

Wouldn't it be far more efficient just to use a Free Electron Laser as a beam generator, and switch wavelengths on-demand? Instead of trying to transmit in two wavelengths at once.

Please do elaborate on bugs so they can be fixed. If you need it to cheat then there are actual cheats you can use, or you can stay on an old version. Don't hurt the mod for such a selfish reason.

absolutely :) its really expensive automation.

the bug:
i was about to post it in development or bug but to keep our conversation alive
using 2 transmit dishes and 2 generators creates a link with 2 available bandwiths that has a combined dish size (sum of 2 dishes) and theirfor half spotsize.
I think it's the combining ability of antenna that is used while transmitting and probably could even be used while using 2 times the same wavelength.

i'm sorry if i went a little overboard on the theoretical, but this mod inspires to look at your options

Edited by arjen stavast
incomplete

hi guys, i have some relay questions i couldn't find much on it so a bit of clarifications without testing everything might help alot of us

"Boost"
is this reinforcing your MJ availability on a transmitter that's setup as relay and has a new beam source? (aka reactor+generator+beam_gen+transmitter(relay)+reciever(relay).
Or something else.

"Merging beams"
is this a coverup for 2 dual bandwidth receiver that creates MJ. or does it actually merge the beam, and if so how would you be able to make use of the merged beam.

"Bandwidth convertor" & "inlay mode"
is their any way to convert beams from one bandwidth to another without converting to MJ. (maybe another intermediate)
I saw an example of freethinker down scaling a UV range to visible range as a idea, i think he used the words "inlay mode"
It keeps haunting me i can't repeat it, without a silly looking efficiency in that spectrum. and definitely i have not seen a inlay mode button.

"Beams"
(theoretical) maybe for a laugh, could a "highly customized" plasma-beam core reactor have any benefit from a internal beam generator. or even a external beam if the spotsize can be made compatible. thinking like a hard x-ray 100M dish in low mun orbit.

Edited by arjen stavast

On 4/26/2018 at 11:12 PM, Temeriki said:

I have a question, If I were have a pebblebed reactor, throw a thermal gen on that, and connect a mirror to the other side of the thermal gen.  Would the thermal gen be able to switch to the mirror if the mirror was active and receiving more power than the pebblebed?

a mirror reflects waves, a receiver would receive.

tried a oversized alu receiver witch is thermo-electric, and the generator couples itself to either the generator or the reactor depending on it's orientation.
cool idea though

Edited by arjen stavast

On 4/17/2018 at 2:24 PM, MrBaccano said:

I'm having this problem as well.  In a previous version of KSPI I built a small number of ships with the Solid Fuel Electric Fission Reactor which worked fine and generated power properly.  When I updated KSPI, these ships no longer have electric power.  I tried docking one of these ships to a station powered by 2.2 MJ of solar panels and after docking, it drained the station's power.  As you noted, the molten-salt+generator combination works fine.

On 4/20/2018 at 8:26 AM, FreeThinker said:

The Solid Fuel Electric Fission Reactor, has an integrated electric power generator, so you won't have to attach it to any power generator to it, it might even be detrimental.

These ships don't have any other source of power (except the test noted above).

Edit: Version in which Solid Fuel Electric Fission Reactor worked for me was 1.18.

Edit: I tested recent versions of KSPIE against KSP 1.4.3.2152.  In 1.18.5, 1.18.6, 1.19B the SFEFR does not work.  In 1.18.4 the SFEFR does work (though it is clearly for an earlier version of KSP).

Edited by mbaryu
Further Clarification

Just updated to latest Interstellar Fuel Switch, and I'm getting 30 errors thrown back by ModuleManager, which has never happened before... new fix in the works already or do you need the log details?

@FreeThinker not sure it's related, but... thermal propulsion wasteheat is off the charts again.  A craft that used to launch and get to orbit no problem (ok, granted, launch weight is 33,000t and it's powered by 4 7.5m thermal turbojets attached to positron antimatter reactors of the same size, using hydrazine as fuel, so.. somewhat extreme) - but this used to work.  I have one in orbit right now.  

As of today... anything more than 1/3 throttle causes wasteheat to peg to max instantly causing all 4 reactors to shut down.

KSPIE 1.18.5
IFS 3.0.1

Edited by ss8913

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

Just updated to latest Interstellar Fuel Switch, and I'm getting 30 errors thrown back by ModuleManager, which has never happened before... new fix in the works already or do you need the log details?

@FreeThinker not sure it's related, but... thermal propulsion wasteheat is off the charts again.  A craft that used to launch and get to orbit no problem (ok, granted, launch weight is 33,000t and it's powered by 4 7.5m thermal turbojets attached to positron antimatter reactors of the same size, using hydrazine as fuel, so.. somewhat extreme) - but this used to work.  I have one in orbit right now.  

As of today... anything more than 1/3 throttle causes wasteheat to peg to max instantly causing all 4 reactors to shut down.

KSPIE 1.18.5
IFS 3.0.1

What KSP version? I suspect they changed stock engine heating again

6 hours ago, ss8913 said:

A fixed version of IFS 3.1.0 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.3 can be downloaded from here

On 5/1/2018 at 11:41 PM, mbaryu said:

I'm having this problem as well.  In a previous version of KSPI I built a small number of ships with the Solid Fuel Electric Fission Reactor which worked fine and generated power properly.  When I updated KSPI, these ships no longer have electric power.  I tried docking one of these ships to a station powered by 2.2 MJ of solar panels and after docking, it drained the station's power.  As you noted, the molten-salt+generator combination works fine.

These ships don't have any other source of power (except the test noted above).

Edit: Version in which Solid Fuel Electric Fission Reactor worked for me was 1.18.

Edit: I tested recent versions of KSPIE against KSP 1.4.3.2152.  In 1.18.5, 1.18.6, 1.19B the SFEFR does not work.  In 1.18.4 the SFEFR does work (though it is clearly for an earlier version of KSP).

I am having this exact problem on my dres base. The intergrated generator seems to consume the reactor's thermal power but produce no electrical power in return.

A new release kSPIE 1.19.1.1 is available for download from here

Changelog

* Compiled against KSP 1.4.3

* Added Mach Effect Drive by Spacemouse

* Added Increased maximum timewarp acceleration

* Added Timewarp acceleration to Vista, Z-Pinch Airospike, GasCore Engine, Magneto Inertial Fusion Engine and Plasma Nozzle

* Added Kspi Patch for Far Future Beam Core Antimatter reactor and Mirror Cell Fusion Engine

* Balance: Increased Power Beam Core Antimatter reactor to 10 TW

* Balance: Increased minimum isp Beam Core Antimatter reactor to 1/4 of max Isp

* Balance: Improve mass ratio and gee-force simulation of Anti Hydrogen Containment device

* Balance: reduced thermal wasteheat positron by 50%

* Fixed magnetic nozzle mass propellant deficiency

* Fixed issue with Solar Receiver not able to function when wasteheat storage is missing

* Fixed thermal-heat usage leak causing excessive wasteheat

* Fixed issue of loss of acceleration of EM drive at high time warp

* Fixed issue with Em drive causing increased vessel mass

* Fixed Solid Fuel Nuclear Reactor ability to produce power

* Fixed Version file

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker all of my previous issues are fixed in this release, however there seems to be a problem with the thermal ramjet nozzle now - it keeps increasing in power as speed and altitude increases, until you get to 70km and it instantly hits 0 thrust... isn't it supposed to drop off in power as the atmosphere gets thinner?  It used to... now it just seems to keep getting faster and faster all the way to the edge of atmo.  The thermal *turbojet* doesn't do this, it retains the previous behavior.
I'm using the 'heavy ram intakes' with a 1.6 intakeAir rating... 2 of them tweakscaled to 200% ... same as per usual for my stuff, but.. figured I'd report this.