KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

2 minutes ago, Jumberlack said:

ok this might be a fuel switch bug but my cryo tanks are spontaneously switching tank selection and fullness. between the time I push launch and the time the craft loads in. then after reverting flight back to VAB, the new tank selections remain.

spoiler for readers who like grinding for kerbucks the long, tedious way.

Reveal hidden contents

for example, my HTP factory has:

• 8 x IFS Cryogenic Tank (CT2504) set to H2O2 (HTP) all empty and scaled to 10m diameter

• 5 x IFS Cryogenic Tank (CT2504) set to 02 (LqdOxygen) all full and scaled to 10m

• 6 x IFS Cryogenic Tank (CT2504) set to H2O l (Liquid Water) all full and scaled to 10m

• 6 x IFS Cryogenic Tank (CT2504) set to H2 l (LH2) all empty and not scaled (2.5m default)

• 2 x ISRU Electrolyzer scaled to 10m with empty tanks

• 3 x ISRU Converter scaled to 10m

• 1 x Molten Salt Reactor scaled to 10m

• 1 x Thermal Electric Generator not scaled (2.5m default)

• 6 x Titanium Convector Radiator Inline scaled to 10m (the one that is cylindrical and 2.5m by default)

• 2 x ISRU Refrigerators both scaled to 5.9m and with the oxygen slider at 100 and the water slider at -100, but set the tank on one to be Water and the tank on the other to be Oxygen (keep default amounts in their storage hold)

• 1 x ISRU Refrigerator scaled to 1.53m, hydrogen slider set to -25 and oxygen slider set to 25, set tank to oxygen

• a bunch of launch clamps

• 1 x probe core

those are instructions should you wanna try to reproduce it. I'm running IFS 3.6.3 and KSPIE 1.19.4 I took pre launch and post revert screenshots, take note of the resource readout on the bottom and the launch price. Even though the first one says launch cost is just under 25 mil, the actual price of putting it out on the launchpad is the post revert price. As an example, some of my empty HTP tanks become full of liquid fluorine, and full water tanks become full of HTP.  somewhere a tank switches to fusion pellets, idk it's weird. 

Album M0UlQUE will appear when post is submitted

I've seen something like this as well.  I think it occurs if some of the tanks in a set are switched, but not others.  I haven't looked into it though.

1 minute ago, mbaryu said:

I've seen something like this as well.  I think it occurs if some of the tanks in a set are switched, but not others.  I haven't looked into it though.

*disclaimer, the imgur link you quoted is broke, I edited it to work in my post.

also it's weird because I made especially sure to make the selection, then the fullness, then tweakscale, then symmetry. 

I'm building a RSS/RO modpack that includes KSPI-E and it seems to work fine (from what I could gather with dV numbers from the VAB and ProceduralParts/SSTU tankage).

However, there seems to be an exception: the thermal turbojet doesn't have any listed fuels and, consequently, can't be used. "Current propellant" appears blank, ISP numbers and whatnot are set to 0, and clicking on "next propellant" does nothing. I found a reddit thread which suggested any engine problems would, most likely, be caused by an interaction with SolverEngines, which is required by RO.

Can anyone else confirm this and? And in the event the bug is caused by SolverEngines, how can I keep Interstellar from being affected by SE via a MM patch?

10 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

I'm building a RSS/RO modpack that includes KSPI-E and it seems to work fine (from what I could gather with dV numbers from the VAB and ProceduralParts/SSTU tankage).

However, there seems to be an exception: the thermal turbojet doesn't have any listed fuels and, consequently, can't be used. "Current propellant" appears blank, ISP numbers and whatnot are set to 0, and clicking on "next propellant" does nothing. I found a reddit thread which suggested any engine problems would, most likely, be caused by an interaction with SolverEngines, which is required by RO.

Can anyone else confirm this and? And in the event the bug is caused by SolverEngines, how can I keep Interstellar from being affected by SE via a MM patch?

I had a similar problem when at low tech.  Before getting the tech to allow the thermal turbojet to switch fuels it was random whether the engine would work at all on atmospheric intake.  I didn't have SE installed though.  Try it in Sandbox and see if it still happens?

Edited by mbaryu
clarification

1 minute ago, mbaryu said:

I had a similar problem when at low tech.  Before getting the tech to allow the thermal turbojet to switch fuels it was random whether the engine would work at all on atmospheric intake.  I didn't have SE installed though.  Try it in Sandbox and see if it still happens?

I tried it in sandbox mode. Strangely enough, the bug doesn't seem to affect other engines with interchangeable fuels.

18 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

KSPI has some... interesting tech inter-dependencies that are not shown by KSP.

Try getting the 550 science 'High performance fuel systems', as it unlocks using oxidizer+fuel for the nuclear engines for example, and all the other fuel types for nuclear engines. I suspect it might unlock other fuel types for thermal turbojet too.

Also, I seem to recall a few years ago when I played KSPI, that the thermal nozzles where not very happy till they got the first performance upgrade from (160) Supersonic Flight. May have been fixed.

Maybe also double check if an upgrade to the thermal turbojet so it can use oxidizers (high efficiency nuclear propulsion) and High performance fuel systems fixes anything.

<edit> Opps nevermind I just saw you tried it in sandbox mode.

Edited by BlackMoons

3 minutes ago, BlackMoons said:

KSPI has some... interesting tech inter-dependencies that are not shown by KSP.

Try getting the 550 science 'High performance fuel systems', as it unlocks using oxidizer+fuel for the nuclear engines for example, and all the other fuel types for nuclear engines. I suspect it might unlock other fuel types for thermal turbojet too.

Also, I seem to recall a few years ago when I played KSPI, that the thermal nozzles where not very happy till they got the first performance upgrade from (160) Supersonic Flight. May have been fixed.

Maybe also double check if an upgrade to the thermal turbojet so it can use oxidizers (high efficiency nuclear propulsion) and High performance fuel systems fixes anything.

Will do. Do the parts in sandbox mode come with the upgrades?

EDIT: I'm assuming those fuel+oxidizer upgrades are translated well into RealFuels... so far seems like it.

Edited by Tonas1997

19 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

Will do. Do the parts in sandbox mode come with the upgrades?

EDIT: I'm assuming those fuel+oxidizer upgrades are translated well into RealFuels... so far seems like it.

Yea sorry, if you are already in sandbox mode you have all the upgrades.

Hello, I'm working on moving a plane from version 1.3.1 to 1.4.5 that uses Interstellar, B9 Aerospace, and BD Armory. Most things work as they should but when loading the plane up it has no thermal power from the antimatter reactors anymore and I cannot get any thrust out of the thermal Turbojet Engines. I have antimatter and the strange thing is that the one smaller reactor used for electrical power seems to be working. Was there some change to the way thermal power was handled in moving from 1.3.1 to 1.4.5 or am I missing something else?

On 6/11/2018 at 12:33 PM, FreeThinker said:

Do change  amount, maxAmount or both to 0?

@FreeThinker Sorry for not replying like 2 months ago.  I went on vacation and didn't pick the game up again when I returned.  

Quick reminder of what I messaged you about:  The X11 Spherical Tank causes phantom thrust when it has been tweak scaled and is partially empty.  Original post here

The answer to your question was: I only changed the "amount"  not maxAmount. 

The problem still appears to exist in the most recent build.   Someone posted a solution at https://github.com/sswelm/KSP-Interstellar-Extended/issues/225 .  Changing 

MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		type = stack_interstellar_275
		defaultScale = 1
		scaleFactors = 0.5, 0.75, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 48, 64
	}

into

MODULE
	{
		name = TweakScale
		//type = stack_interstellar_275
		type = stack
		defaultScale = 1
		scaleFactors = 0.5, 0.75, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16, 24, 32, 48, 64
	}

appears to fix whatever the problem was.

Will this have some consequences that I don't know about?

Nope that is the perfect fix. I already applied the same solution in IFS where it beeing moved to.

15 hours ago, Maximus_Light said:

Hello, I'm working on moving a plane from version 1.3.1 to 1.4.5 that uses Interstellar, B9 Aerospace, and BD Armory. Most things work as they should but when loading the plane up it has no thermal power from the antimatter reactors anymore and I cannot get any thrust out of the thermal Turbojet Engines. I have antimatter and the strange thing is that the one smaller reactor used for electrical power seems to be working. Was there some change to the way thermal power was handled in moving from 1.3.1 to 1.4.5 or am I missing something else?

The original antimatter reactor is now converted into a beam core antimatter reactor which requires both a source of anti protons  (antimatter or anti hydrogen) and a source of protons (hydrogen gas, liquid hydrogen or solid hydrogen) to create a reaction

(using KSPI-E 1.19.4 with KSP 1.4.5)

I'm trying to use a 3.75m version of the closed cycle gas core engine with liquid fuel as propellant.

The engine is "working" (the fire trail is there and the temperature is rising), but it doesn't generate any thrust and doesn't seem to consume any fuel.

Am I doing anything wrong, or is it related to the "phantom thrust" problem mentioned earlier?
P.S. The Reactor window does display Status: "offline", but I can't really understand why.

Album https://imgur.com/a/rsdIAAE will appear when post is submitted
Edited by Omeran
more data

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Nope that is the perfect fix. I already applied the same solution in IFS where it beeing moved to.

The original antimatter reactor is now converted into a beam core antimatter reactor which requires both a source of anti protons  (antimatter or anti hydrogen) and a source of protons (hydrogen gas, liquid hydrogen or solid hydrogen) to create a reaction

Hmm...
Edit: To be clear (sorry if I wasn't before) I meant from KSP version 1.3.1 to 1.4.5 something has changed, I was working off of an Interstellar version someone was using as part of a modpack (from Janurary 2nd of this year) and now am work off of version 1.19.4
well it was a beam core reactor in 1.3.1 as well so I have both, to be on the safe side I added some liquid hydrogen but still nothing, here's a screen shot, center reactor window is the small anti-matter reactor dedicated to electrical power and the two on the right are dedicated to the engines.

56079d250e58e938ec97e7ab9d8de02a.jpg

Edited by Maximus_Light

On 8/14/2018 at 5:06 PM, Maximus_Light said:

yeah I had the same issue.  the regular antimatter reactors no longer work with those engines.  use the positron reactors instead.  keep in mind that regular am reactors now only interface with mag nozzles and charged particle generators.  you'll need to pair a positron reactor with a thermal generator if you also want power generation.

15 hours ago, Maximus_Light said:

Hmm...
Edit: To be clear (sorry if I wasn't before) I meant from KSP version 1.3.1 to 1.4.5 something has changed, I was working off of an Interstellar version someone was using as part of a modpack (from Janurary 2nd of this year) and now am work off of version 1.19.4

Sorry, I forgot to mention that beam core antimatter is simply too powerful for direct thermal propulsion which is now in the TeraWatt range mend for propelling interstellar starships to the stars. They would simply evaporate the connected engine with hard x-rays. Instead use the thermal positron antimatter reactor, which can be injected directly into fuel stream to produce soft x-rays which produce comparative performance you are used to in the original antimatter reactor

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker the bizarre "shearing apart of craft using hyperdrive" issue which has been dogging me for years appears to be worse lately; any steering input while the alcubierre drives are active seems to be enough to cause parts to get .. not blown off, but weirdly sheared apart so that the craft cannot be steered, and can lead to kraken issues/crashes later in the session.

The only workaround I've found is:

1. ensure persistent rotation is uninstalled or disabled
2. point at target
3. increase timewarp to 5x+ (non-physics) to settle things
4. timewarp back to 1x
5. all RCS/SAS/autopilots OFF
6. engage warp

and then it'll still drift a bit so you h ave to do course adjustments with multiple jumps which is... ok I suppose.

I also still cannot for the life of me figure out how gravity drag works.  Do I want to approach the target along my relative-to-kerbol velocity vector or do I want to do the opposite of that, or something else?  I've just been carrying a lot of fuel and eating the 11k-18k m/s dV burn on the far end :(

16 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I also still cannot for the life of me figure out how gravity drag works.  Do I want to approach the target along my relative-to-kerbol velocity vector or do I want to do the opposite of that, or something else?  I've just been carrying a lot of fuel and eating the 11k-18k m/s dV burn on the far end :(

Well gravity drag is a mechanic which kicks in whenever the warp starting SOI is different from the end SOO. The amount of gravity drag depends on the proximity and strength of nearby gravity well. In the Warp interface, you can see the expected gravity drag and effect on exit speed and orbit when dropping out of warp. Of course, there is always a different result when you actually drop out due to a difference in time. The trick is to slow down enough so that the difference will be minimal. Another trick is to aim for the poles as dropping out will not make your exit orbital path not directly into the gravity well.

I have by the way some ideas to overhaul the whole alcubiere drive mechanic, making more intuitive to control and more realistic to real alcubiere warpdrive. Instead of entering an artificial warp state propelling you into the direction you are heading the vessel, you contract space ahead of your orbital path, making your vessel effectively bypass space. To travel faster you simply have to accelerate your vessel like you normally would with a conventional engine. Warp would simply be a representation of the contraction of space. Warp 0 would be equivalent to normal space, warp 1, would contract space ahead of the ship 1/2 of normal length, at warp 2, space will be contracted by 1/4 or normal length, etc. So in order travel FTL you would need to travel than 300000000 / (2^warp). The power cost would depend on the smoothness of your local space. Any distortions like gravity-wells would make it more difficult to contract space.

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well gravity drag is a mechanic which kicks in whenever the warp starting SOI is different from the end SOO. The amount of gravity drag depends on the proximity and strength of nearby gravity well. In the Warp interface, you can see the expected gravity drag and effect on exit speed and orbit when dropping out of warp. Of course, there is always a different result when you actually drop out due to a difference in time. The trick is to slow down enough so that the difference will be minimal. Another trick is to aim for the poles as dropping out will not make your exit orbital path not directly into the gravity well.

I have by the way some ideas to overhaul the whole alcubiere drive mechanic, making more intuitive to control and more realistic to real alcubiere warpdrive. Instead of entering an artificial warp state propelling you into the direction you are heading the vessel, you contract space ahead of your orbital path, making your vessel effectively bypass space. To travel faster you simply have to accelerate your vessel like you normally would with a conventional engine. Warp would simply be a representation of the contraction of space. Warp 0 would be equivalent to normal space, warp 1, would contract space ahead of the ship 1/2 of normal length, at warp 2, space will be contracted by 1/4 or normal length, etc. So in order travel FTL you would need to travel than 300000000 / (warp^2). The power cost would depend on the smoothness of your local space. Any distortions like gravity-wells would make it more difficult to contract space.

I get that... and the new mechanic sounds cool... what I'm noticing now is as I approach the destination planet my DV to circularize goes up instead of down in many cases, and the approach vector seems to be the determining factor.  hence my question of what the correct approach vector should be...?

1 hour ago, Randall172 said:

does the original dev still work on KSPI, or is KSPI-E the only one up to date?

I have to say, the original was much more user-friendly

this one is far more advanced and feature-rich, however.  as far as I can tell, kspie supersedes the old mod completely.

17 hours ago, ss8913 said:

@FreeThinker  any steering input while the alcubierre drives are active seems to be enough to cause parts to get .. not blown off, but weirdly sheared apart so that the craft cannot be steered, and can lead to kraken issues/crashes later in the session.

The only workaround I've found is:

1. ensure persistent rotation is uninstalled or disabled
2. point at target
3. increase timewarp to 5x+ (non-physics) to settle things
4. timewarp back to 1x
5. all RCS/SAS/autopilots OFF
6. engage warp

and then it'll still drift a bit so you h ave to do course adjustments with multiple jumps which is... ok I suppose.

Perhaps the weird effect you are experiencing is caused by the applied orbital voodoo when altering direction durring hyperspace travel. I think I can partially solve it by making it possible to lock the hyperdrive 4th dimention heading. But doesn't altering speed in hyperspace have the same effect?

Edited by FreeThinker

On 7/20/2018 at 12:47 AM, Khalkion said:

Looks like you either don't have enough radiators for equilibrium point to be lower than max temp of critical parts or you have some problems with installation.

And for radiators... pebble bed reactor has built-in thermal throttling, so when heat goes too high, not only generator looses its efficiency, but also the reactor should start produce less and less thermal power for helping with equilibrium point.

Can you post your craft? 

Hi, I know it has been a while. I did not deliberately ignore your request for a craft file. I have a whole pile of mods. Many items are on my test craft as i basically took a much larger craft and chopped it up. Before I send you a craft file I will remove all those fancy bits. That was the state of things when I read your message. Then I was away from my PC for quite some time. I think I may have laid a lawn for my mum or put a new fence up for her. I forget what order i did stuff when I visited. Here I am back again doing lots of bug hunting and trying to fix my game as I had to move from 1.4.4 to 1.4.5. At some point fairly soon I will revisit this issue with you if you don't mind?

I am playing Galileo's Planet Pack @ 10.625x rescale with RO/RP1 on 1.3.1, and the game freezes as soon as it starts loading the parts from this mod. Any idea why? A twitch buddy also plays on GPP but no RO/Rp1 or rescale, and the parts show up for him and load just fine. I would think any issues I'd run in to are just the parts needing to be changed to the tech tree nodes in RP-1, which I could (tediously, lol) do manually by editing each part config, but the game won't even load the parts at all. It does NOT crash when loading the parts, but just stops indefinitely at that step during the loading screen.

Here is a imgur link to my gamedata folder without the WarpPlugin folder in /GameData/ like it was when this happened (needed my stable install back):

https://i.imgur.com/ahti5bC.png

Edited by sjsharks39
bad link