KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

So after messing around with beamed power and relays in creative mode I still can't seem to get it to work.

What I've tried:

My craft trying to receive power has an inline thermal receiver(I also tried an electrical receiver tuned to the right frequencies).

I tried both types of mirrors(infrared and light), and made sure to switch on their 'start relay' buttons while in orbit.

I made a reactor ship and attached the transmitter that lets you switch beam types on the fly. I put in orbit, turned on the transmitter and tried switching between various beam types. I tried near infrared, regular UV, vacuum UV, far extreme UV.

Regardless of what type of beam type I tried, the mirror wouldn't relay the beam. In the network window it showed up in the bottom still, but like in the pic I submitted in my other thread the text was offset incorrectly and looked a bit off. Either way, no power was being received from the mirror relay. The craft worked fine as soon as it came into direct LoS with the reactor ship.

Am I missing something?

Edited by xRei

18 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well that just the unlocking tech, its performance is dependable on other tech which which epstein  requires the highest techs

Ok. Dont you think about patch making drills (stock and (for example) from usi) consume megawatts? It would be more correct

Version 1.20.14 is now available for KSP 1.3.1, KSP 1.4.5 and KSP 1.5.1

Released on 2018-12-02

• Added Nuclear Salt Water Engine
  • Added alternative model for Open Cycle Gas Core Engine
  • Added Nuclear Exhaust prevention to Nuclear Salt Water Engine and Open Cycle Gas Core Engine
  • Balance: reduced unlocking tech Open Cycle Gas Core Engine
  • Balance: reduced radiator surface bonus
  • Balance: reduced power consumption Plasma Engine when connected with Positron Antimatter Reactor
  • Balance: reduced power output of fusion reactors
  • Balance: increased isp for Magnetic Inertial Fusion (MIF) Engine
  • Fixed thrust instability caused gee-force and overheating on Open Cycle Gas Core Reactor
  • Fixed dynamic pressure resistance deployable radiators
  • Fixed Plasma Engine power shortage behavior

7 hours ago, Plecy75 said:

Hey, how do you collect positrons from antimatter collectors? Is it even possible?

You don't collect it but fabricate it with a Free Electron Laser. Its is significantly easier to create positrons  instead of anti protons. Therefore it cheaper. However it is also harder to store it in high densities

Edited by FreeThinker

18 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.20.14 is now available for KSP 1.3.1, KSP 1.4.5 and KSP 1.5.1

Released on 2018-12-02

• Added Nuclear Salt Water Engine
  • Added alternative model for Open Cycle Gas Core Engine
  • Added Nuclear Exhaust prevention to Nuclear Salt Water Engine and Open Cycle Gas Core Engine
  • Balance: reduced unlocking tech Open Cycle Gas Core Engine
  • Balance: reduced radiator surface bonus
  • Balance: reduced power consumption Plasma Engine when connected with Positron Antimatter Reactor
  • Balance: reduced power output of fusion reactors
  • Balance: increased isp for Magnetic Inertial Fusion (MIF) Engine
  • Fixed thrust instability caused gee-force and overheating on Open Cycle Gas Core Reactor
  • Fixed dynamic pressure resistance deployable radiators
  • Fixed Plasma Engine power shortage behavior

New Zpinch is LfO engine? It can use only LfO, doesnt consume fusion fuel and has little isp

Something weird happened while using the Epst- I mean, Kerbstein drive -

When building a ship with just the Engine, some extra LiH tank, and room for Kerbals (I.e. no radiators), it went off just fine (started the engine outside the atmosphere).

When adding Graphine radiators (max. dissipation: 204MW) , they heated and blew up in a few seconds after starting the engine.

What's going on?

On 12/5/2018 at 8:53 AM, Omeran said:

Something weird happened while using the Epst- I mean, Kerbstein drive -

When building a ship with just the Engine, some extra LiH tank, and room for Kerbals (I.e. no radiators), it went off just fine (started the engine outside the atmosphere).

When adding Graphine radiators (max. dissipation: 204MW) , they heated and blew up in a few seconds after starting the engine.

What's going on?

sounds as if you insufficient radiators resulting in heat up available radiators higher than allowed, causing them to explode. Looking into it deeper I realize the engine doesn't have any overheat prevention like other engines have. In the past, it wasn't a concern as it required external power to run, which would throttle when insufficient radiators were available. It will be added next release

Edited by FreeThinker

Version 1.20.15 is now available for KSP 1.3.1, KSP 1.4.5 and KSP 1.5.1

Released on 2018-12-09

• Added Liquid Core Nuclear Engine
  • Added Z-Pinch Engine
  • Balance: Nuclear Salt Water Rocket Engine is limited to full thrust
  • Balance: increased thrust acceleration on NSWR
  • Balance: increased unlocking tech Airospike Z-Pinch Engine
  • Balance: limited Airospike Z-Pinch Engine to oxidizing propellants
  • Balance: limited Z-Pinch Engine now require FusionPellets for fusion
  • Balance: removed power requirement Z-Pinch Engines
  • Balance: increased isp but reduce power of Z-Pinch Engines
  • Balance: increased isp but reduce power of Nuclear Lightbulb
  • Balance: increased wasteheat production and decreased heat throttle threshold
  • Fixed hanging of KSP when oscillating thrust
  • Fixed Discovery fusion engine isp throtle not showing
  • Fixed pivoting of Nuclear Lightbulb

10 hours ago, Omeran said:

Was this causing KSP to "stop responding" quite often while flying?

Possibly, with me KSP just froze without giving any bug messages. Technically this can happen when it gets trapped in an infinite loop. I figured out it was caused by using decimal instead of double. After I revert the code, the problem didn't occur for me anymore.

Edited by FreeThinker

I'm having real troubles setting up Beamed Power relays. I thought they might be like communication relays - add a part to a ship and set it to relay mode using the same wavelength as the transmitter. However, this doesn't seem to work.

Here's what I have. On the surface I have a deployable phased array transciever set to Long Infrared. It's producing about 6GW. 

I send a satellite into orbit at KSO above this with two Phased Array Transciever - the spherical ones. Spot size is under a metre so it should capture all of the beamed power. However, I set one to relay and the other to transmit but a second satellite doesn't seem to receive any power. I've been playing around with this for days and I can't seem to get power to relay.

Are there any simple guides out there? The guide on the wiki isn't clear. I'd be happy to update it once I understand how it all works.

49 minutes ago, FloatingMongoose said:

I'm having real troubles setting up Beamed Power relays. I thought they might be like communication relays - add a part to a ship and set it to relay mode using the same wavelength as the transmitter. However, this doesn't seem to work.

Here's what I have. On the surface I have a deployable phased array transciever set to Long Infrared. It's producing about 6GW. 

I send a satellite into orbit at KSO above this with two Phased Array Transciever - the spherical ones. Spot size is under a metre so it should capture all of the beamed power. However, I set one to relay and the other to transmit but a second satellite doesn't seem to receive any power. I've been playing around with this for days and I can't seem to get power to relay.

Are there any simple guides out there? The guide on the wiki isn't clear. I'd be happy to update it once I understand how it all works.

I guess you were expecting some feedback on how much power the relay sat is capable of receiving for the relay but this is not the case, it merely notifies the network that it can use this sat as a relay to beamed retrieve power in the phased array transmit spectrum. To test if it can receive the signal at all, simply switch to receive mode to know if it can receive beamed power from line of sight. When you have two transceivers, you can set on in receive mode, and the other one in relay mode. When a transceiver is set to in receive mode, it will only consume power if it actually needs if for any device on board. Alternatively (when available), put one receiver in link mode and the other in transmit mode, this allows you to boost the beamed power with any available onboard power.

If you want to test if the relay functions at all, you would need a 3rth vessel in receive mode which does not have line of sight with the transmitter but does have line of sight with the relay satellite.

Edited by FreeThinker

42 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I guess you were expecting some feedback on how much power the relay sat is capable of receiving for the relay but this is not the case, it merely notifies the network that it can use this sat as a relay to beamed retrieve power in the phased array transmit spectrum. To test if it can receive the signal at all, simply switch to receive mode to know if it can receive beamed power from line of sight. When you have two transceivers, you can set on in receive mode, and the other one in relay mode. When a transceiver is set to in receive mode, it will only consume power if it actually needs if for any device on board. Alternatively (when available), put one receiver in link mode and the other in transmit mode, this allows you to boost the beamed power with any available onboard power.

If you want to test if the relay functions at all, you would need a 3rth vessel in receive mode which does not have line of sight with the transmitter but does have line of sight with the relay satellite.

Thanks FreeThinker. So assuming no internal power on the relays, I could get a full coverage relay network with this setup:

SYsbDKD.png

21 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yep, that should work

Hi FreeThinker.

I still can't get it to work. :(

Here's the relay sitting above the generator on the ground. It gets power as it has direct line-of-sight to the transmitter:

ftgCxhK.jpg

The relay at 120 degrees West looks like this:

u0irv8f.jpg

Then I have a ship with a Thermal receiver a few degrees further away but it doesn't get any power:

TcpRNF2.jpge2E6NEc.png

This is on a clean install with only Interstellar and its dependencies and recommended mods.

What am I doing wrong?

I really appreciate the mod and the help you're giving!

I might have the same problem.
I used to have fancy power grid working perfectly, it was like year ago or so, and I remember that it wasn't complicated to set it up.

Now I'm having a problem getting any relay to work.

Direct transfer between beam producer and test probe works just fine, but i can't make relay work at all.

Or maybye I forgot about something very obvious?
There is my relay sat:
O2ipKT7.png

Also tried with one of the mirrors instead of dishes, doesn't work.