KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, okder said:

additional to balance candle traveling wave reactor engine should probably be later in tech tree, i do use it too often for probes instead of other small (non nuclear) engines, and Bill Gates still had not build ground many tonnage version.

Yes I agree, I will move it to improved nuclear propulsion, and remove the upgrades.

so @FreeThinker the new beta *helps* with the thermal issues, at least on some craft... but it's still a bit odd, i'm still getting two sets of temperature limits in the right click, and in some cases, still on fire.  Have a look at this screenshot:

https://imgur.com/sLiOmLZ

sLiOmLZ.jpg

Edited by ss8913
figured out the link

On 9/1/2019 at 11:13 AM, okder said:

i think Antimatter initiated reactor should be 1 level tech early available.

What about I remove the tech upgrades instead , making it availble at full power instead?

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

What about I remove the tech upgrades insteam, making it availble at full power instead?

nope it needs to be early as it only practical long term reactor which do use antimatter (actually it is possible that first spaceship reactors would be that type)

so it needs to be early but upgrade tech make it more powerfull.

and i think it's better to add new pebble bed tech in the end nodes which do upgrade its from 3.5 to 4.5 gw, other tech do upgrades only to 3.5 gw.

and another bug found - pebble bed while shutdowing(5% remaining) does full thrust on engines (should have very limited thrust and poor isp).

p.s.

for main bug with scaling solution is not scale primary atributes (power, charge, wasteheat), and scale only two additional for each type, i.e. take into account two last calculation steps,

and if timedelta (/timewarp delta/offscreen time delta) is in this step greater than in previous step, then negative effects is not applied, if in this step delta is less or same as in previous step, then full balance calculated and primary attributes is updated (based on two temporary one and primary), for consumption/production requirements used all values (both temporaries and primary).

3 hours ago, okder said:

nope it needs to be early as it only practical long term reactor which do use antimatter (actually it is possible that first spaceship reactors would be that type)

so it needs to be early but upgrade tech make it more powerfull.

Alright I put it in the Antimatter technode, but keep the upgrades unchanged. I will also added an additional tech upgrade to the Plasma Antimatter Power Generator , and make the power scale more gradualy from 24 GW to 120 GW with the last 2 technodes from plasma and high energy

Edited by FreeThinker

Hi I'm wondering how I can make a radiator / engine heat work well with this mod.  My issue is coming from a multi mode engine that I'm modding.  Out of atmosphere radiators anywhere on the craft are able to deal with excess core heat that the engines produce.  But while in atmosphere I've only ever been able to get radiators that are surface attached to the engine being able to handle the core heat from the engine.  And even when I do use them the radiators still explode in atmosphere at high air speeds even though the radiators should be far more than able to handle the thermal load even without the convection bonus that they get while in atmosphere.

Hi,  Please check the Magnetic Nozzle.

I used to be able to thrust warp using the magnetic nozzle.  Now I'm not able to because of running out of propellant. But I have lots of LH2 on board.

I'm getting about 23 kN thrust and the ISP seems OK with 1.25m parts.

I hope the thrust warping can be fixed so I can use that to remove excess DeltaV after coming out of (warp drive) warp.

thanks!

nozzle.png

The same screen without trying to time warp.

nozzle2.png

Edited by enewmen

It seems that the DT magnetometer and the gas / liquid chromatography mass spectrometers have been removed. Are they now obsolete? (Note: I am using DMagic Orbital Science mod.) If so, how can I find out the antimatter density and the atmospheric / oceanic composition of each planet?

Also, it seems that the reactionless drives sometimes fail to utilize the quantum vacuum plasma. Specifically, when the main throttle goes directly from 0% to 100% (by pressing  the Z key), the engines display "Flame-Out!" / "VacuumPlasma deprived" and stop working in some cases. This does not happen if the initial throttle was not 0%, or if the thrust limiter value was set to be less than 2% (for Mach Effect Drive) / 5% (for EM Drive). Could you please check if this is a bug?

My installation of KSPI-E is currently up to date (CKAN version 1.22.9.4), and my test craft configuration is RC-L01 large probe - Muon Catalyzed Reactor - Mach Effect Drive (or EM Dirve) vertically stacked together, plus two 1.5x sized large folding graphene radiators.

Edited by singlet

9 hours ago, singlet said:

Also, it seems that the reactionless drives sometimes fail to utilize the quantum vacuum plasma. Specifically, when the main throttle goes directly from 0% to 100% (by pressing  the Z key), the engines display "Flame-Out!" / "VacuumPlasma deprived" and stop working in some cases. This does not happen if the initial throttle was not 0%, or if the thrust limiter value was set to be less than 2% (for Mach Effect Drive) / 5% (for EM Drive). Could you please check if this is a bug?

Specificly which reactionless engine dit you use, the  Mach Drive or the EM-drive?

Good evening
I would like to clarify a certain misunderstanding. The description of the mod indicates that the details of the KSP-I have a scale for the real world, but in fact everything scales for Kerbin.
Take for example the Molten Salt Reactor - it has a thermal power of 1000 mW (1 gW) and weighs about 12 tons. The question is how can a 12-ton reactor have such power? Yes, I know that the Reactor on Salt Melts is very powerful, but not to that extent.
A real-life example, Russia has an outline of a fast fast neutron reactor (helium-xeon mixture cooling), the temperature of the reactor is 1500K, worse than Molten Salt but not by much. This reactor has a thermal power of 3.8 mW and weighs 7 tons.
It turns out that the weight of 1000 mW of the salt-melting reactor should be at least 100-120 tons but not as much as 12 tons as it weighs now.
After that, do you still recommend installing RSS mods and scaling everything to a real size?

Edited by OOM

@OOM The Problem is not to produce that amount of power but to maintain it in a controlled manner and do something usefull with it that is comercialy viable. When commerciation isn't an issue we are able to create very high power dense nuclear reactors, take for instance the KIWI B and Phoebious reactors, which were real designs

KIWI_Phoebus_comparison.jpg

source: https://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/P/Phoebus.html

Edited by FreeThinker

42 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Specificly which reactionless engine dit you use, the  Mach Drive or the EM-drive?

Both. I did tests with several different configurations: some with the Mach Effect Drive, some with the EM drive, some with both. The test craft configuration mentioned above was the simplest one.

Edited by singlet

1 minute ago, singlet said:

Both. I did tests with several different configurations: some with the Mach Effect Drive, some with the EM drive, some with both.

I guess the buffer is slightly too small, there could be a 1 frame delay between going to full thust and mechanism that generates the Quantum Vacuum

47 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I guess the buffer is slightly too small, there could be a 1 frame delay between going to full thust and mechanism that generates the Quantum Vacuum

Could that be related to the 'max physics delta-time per frame' value in the KSP settings? In my KSP settings it is 0.10s, 2.5 times the default value.

EDIT) No, test shows that changing the value does not affect the situation.

Edited by singlet

15 hours ago, enewmen said:

Hi,  Please check the Magnetic Nozzle.

I used to be able to thrust warp using the magnetic nozzle.  Now I'm not able to because of running out of propellant. But I have lots of LH2 on board.

I'm getting about 23 kN thrust and the ISP seems OK with 1.25m parts.

I hope the thrust warping can be fixed so I can use that to remove excess DeltaV after coming out of (warp drive) warp.

thanks!

nozzle.png

The same screen without trying to time warp.

nozzle2.png

So no comments on the Magnetic Nozzle that can't warp ?   Any  Suggestions on how to reduce excess DeltaV after using a warp-drive warp?

Reducing the DeltaV can be done using the gravity of Jool or Eve, even Kerbin.  But smaller planets/moons need some efficient way slowing down after using the warp-drive.

BTW, I appreciate the way KSPI-E uses real/existing designs & physics so nothing works magically good.

1 hour ago, enewmen said:

Any  Suggestions on how to reduce excess DeltaV after using a warp-drive warp?

Reducing the DeltaV can be done using the gravity of Jool or Eve, even Kerbin.  But smaller planets/moons need some efficient way slowing down after using the warp-drive.

Actualy there  now is a build in feature that will basicly instantly reduce excess DeltaV on exit of a planet or near a vessel/ astroid. Also an if you fall down into a gravity hole, or want to take off without engine,  just active the drive and you will be repelled away from the surface. Just try it yourself. Charge the drive, float up until you are in space, activate warp, target your destination, hit MAX speed and after a few second you rush to your target and it automaticly drop out in a perfect orbit. I couldn't make it easier

Edited by FreeThinker

7 hours ago, enewmen said:

So no comments on the Magnetic Nozzle that can't warp ? 

Did have time to verify

This is a workable solution:

f5PzOy0.png

Notice the Diamagnetic Antimatter Container is locked by default (unintended), you need to activate our the engine will be stared.

I recommend the radiator you see above, it scales up with surface area and can realiticly hide behind a dust shiled while maximizing dissipation wasteheat

Edit:

Apparently, thos is a flow issue so put your hydrogen tank near you engine, like this

x4YjAyQ.png

Edit: I Fixed some of the issues and now you can properly use it without overheating issues

bbkRe1k.png

Edited by FreeThinker

Thanks.  I'll try your suggestion.

EDIT:  FreeThinker ideas worked well !

EDIT2:  The problem came back. No idea why.  Got the 'running out of propellant' error, even when the LH2 is connected directly to the Magnetic Nozzle - it works well without time warping.

I'll reboot and try again.

EDIT3:  I got the time-warp to work again, then it stopped working without any changes to the spaceship.  Having trouble narrowing down the problem.  I'll post again once I found the specific issue.

Edited by enewmen

17 hours ago, Profit- said:

My dusty particle reactor and a charged particle converter (at 85%) seem to be getting half the power they should be. Eg. 3GW of charged particles goes in 1.4GW of power comes out. Is this intended?

Yes, its a build in flaw because at least in the original FFR design, it was not possible to redirect all charged particles into one direction for propulsion or power production. Currently to collect all power, you need to connect both a charged particle power generator and a thermal power generator, just like all other reactor. THe main advantage is that about 40% will be charged particle and therefre effectivly significanly improve efficiency compaired to a pure thermal reactor

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, its a build in flaw because at least in the original FFR design, it was not possible to redirect all charged particles into one direction for propulsion or power production. Currently to collect all power, you need to connect both a charged particle power generator and a thermal power generator, just like all other reactor. THe main advantage is that about 40% will be charged particle and therefre effectivly significanly improve efficiency compaired to a pure thermal reactor

I can live with that, but the reactor says it is making 2.967 GW of charged particles, and 583MW of thermal 3.553 GW of power overall,  it really seems strange that the generator is not producing 2.521 GW of power instead of   1.419 GW as shown in the screenshot maybe in the reactors description it could say that roughly 40% of the charged particles will disappear unusably?

Edited by Profit-

7 hours ago, Profit- said:

I can live with that, but the reactor says it is making 2.967 GW of charged particles, and 583MW of thermal 3.553 GW of power overall,  it really seems strange that the generator is not producing 2.521 GW of power instead of   1.419 GW as shown in the screenshot maybe in the reactors description it could say that roughly 40% of the charged particles will disappear unusably?

Well not if you use one side for propulsion and the other side for power production to keep the magnetic nozle powered.

I apologize for the duplicate question, but I think this is important for roleplaying purposes at the very least, so I would really appreciate a response.

The DT magnetometer and the GC/LC MS seem to have been removed. Are they obsolete now? (Note: I am using DMagic Orbital Science mod.) If so, how can I find out the antimatter density and the atmospheric / oceanic composition of each planet?

On 9/5/2019 at 1:54 AM, FreeThinker said:

Well not if you use one side for propulsion and the other side for power production to keep the magnetic nozle powered.

I see. 
* tries a charged particle converter on each side to see if he can capture all the energy because I have  rockets to do my bidding and need the energy more. 
(Nope the second generator shuts down =( ) 

Ah well.. thanks for the reply. I will just have to double my reactor size.