KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

proton-proton-proton  is realy hard because it has a low reaction rate, resulting it a low amount of power.  But its main use is not power, but the production of helium3 which can be use for other fusion processes.  If you want more power output with the Muon Reactor, use the Catalised CNO fusion mode, which converts Hydrogen into Helium using CNO

How does it work?

Because the He3 is alredy hot enough to fuse and ruin the whole muon efficiency taking He3 in the process... Also didnt know CNO works with muons.

5 hours ago, AntaresMC said:

They dont. In fact they produce electricity. There should be an "activate generator" somewherere.

Yeah, that's what I thought. The generators are active on all six engines and apparently give me enough juice to run the lab and crystats etc. No thrust though. I just tried it again, with the lander attached, and again not taking any propellant. I had to undock and then redock the lander to make the ship work again. I don't really understand what the problem is, I just hope my workaround doesn't stop working

6 hours ago, JanHHH said:

Yeah, that's what I thought. The generators are active on all six engines and apparently give me enough juice to run the lab and crystats etc. No thrust though. I just tried it again, with the lander attached, and again not taking any propellant. I had to undock and then redock the lander to make the ship work again. I don't really understand what the problem is, I just hope my workaround doesn't stop working

Okay, well it keeps getting weirder.. I still have to undock/redock the ships for the timberwinds to start working... But even then, after a couple of seconds the engines start to flame out, but not all at the same time but one by one... They just keep getting hot, but no exhaust, no thrust... I'm at my wits end here, what could be causing this?

57 minutes ago, JanHHH said:

Okay, well it keeps getting weirder.. I still have to undock/redock the ships for the timberwinds to start working... But even then, after a couple of seconds the engines start to flame out, but not all at the same time but one by one... They just keep getting hot, but no exhaust, no thrust... I'm at my wits end here, what could be causing this?

Do you have any other reactors on the ship producing waste heat? Timberwinds shut down if they get too hot. 
Are you using atmosphere as a propellant and they are not getting enough of it?
do you have mechjeb and using that fancy engine vector control it has?
do you have a mod/are you that is disabling their radiators?

Timberwinds are my favorite engine by far so I will check my craft to make sure this is not some obvious bug somehow. 

4 hours ago, JanHHH said:

It doest seem to be a lot of heat radiation, mabe are they overheating? Keep in ming the generator gives a tiny amount of WasteHeat 

7 hours ago, JanHHH said:

I looked back at your image and I just am really stumped..   There is nothing out of sorts... I push mine way harder.       are you using version 1.9.1.2788 and 1.25.22.5 respectively? 

Edited by Profit-

20 hours ago, nonono said:

@FreeThinker

I understand that looking through a log file might take time to figure out what's going on, and you're volunteering your time to us for this, so please don't take this as me trying to push you to make time just for my issue. I just wanted to ask and see if you might have any thoughts on why my ship is exploding? I saw you liked my previous post in the thread, but didn't respond. So I thought you might still be looking through the log file, or maybe just haven't had time yet?

Try uploading your craft. I'm no pro but maybe I might see something, or at the very least confirm it does or does not blow up in my game.

20 minutes ago, shifty303 said:

Try uploading your craft. I'm no pro but maybe I might see something, or at the very least confirm it does or does not blow up in my game.

Thanks for offering to take a look

https://ufile.io/6c22de1f

Parts dependencies are:

MechJeb

KSPIE, naturally

B9 aero HX parts

B9 aero HX reconfig (by JadeofMaar)

Stockalike station parts

USI MKS

May also need near future solar

I think that covers it... 

When I get time to poke around at it again I'm going to try to find out if it's the craft, or the MHD that's the issue.

13 hours ago, JanHHH said:

I just checked out on my game and the engine itself appear to be working well.  I happened to have a mission to launch some space stations, and these tend to count for them. 

17 hours ago, Profit- said:

Do you have any other reactors on the ship producing waste heat? Timberwinds shut down if they get too hot. 
Are you using atmosphere as a propellant and they are not getting enough of it?
do you have mechjeb and using that fancy engine vector control it has?
do you have a mod/are you that is disabling their radiators?

Timberwinds are my favorite engine by far so I will check my craft to make sure this is not some obvious bug somehow. 

The Tug itself has no other reactors, the docked landers has two tiny molten salt reactors. The radiators are shown as working and I have very little wasteheat on the vessel. 

I'm not using atmosphere but stock LF. Next thing I'm going to try is Hyperedit a tank of H2 over there to check it out.

I have mechjeb but currently no modules are active. I never even used the Vector control..

13 hours ago, AntaresMC said:

It doest seem to be a lot of heat radiation, mabe are they overheating? Keep in ming the generator gives a tiny amount of WasteHeat 

Shouldnt be a problem, as WasteHeat (as shown in the ressources window) is very low

10 hours ago, Profit- said:

I looked back at your image and I just am really stumped..   There is nothing out of sorts... I push mine way harder.       are you using version 1.9.1.2788 and 1.25.22.5 respectively? 

Yeah, both those versions check out and I'm using ckan to keep mods up to date.

The thing is, I had no problem getting to Jool, had a stop at Vall and then no problems getting to Bop. The problem appeared after the lander did a few mining runs down to Bop. UraniumNitride in the engines is still around 90% and DepletedFuel below 10%. Reactor Embrittlement is below 1%

I also just launched an exact copy of the vessel and that worked fine.

I'm going to try H2 as a propellant now

17 hours ago, nonono said:

Thanks for offering to take a look

https://ufile.io/6c22de1f

Parts dependencies are:

MechJeb

KSPIE, naturally

B9 aero HX parts

B9 aero HX reconfig (by JadeofMaar)

Stockalike station parts

USI MKS

May also need near future solar

I think that covers it... 

When I get time to poke around at it again I'm going to try to find out if it's the craft, or the MHD that's the issue.

Cool, I'll check this out this evening and see if it happens to me also.

New Intersteller user here. I'm having trouble understanding why different sub-assemblies of virtually identical mass have such widely different effects on delta-v (in space). And if this is indeed a bug, if there's anything I might do to work around it.

Example - my big, modular interplanetary rocket using 'Liquid Core Reactor' engines carrying a ballast load of 4 stock jumbo 2.5m fuel tanks for demonstration purposes  (total attached mass of 72 tons) yields a Delta-V of 7,560 on the first stage:

https://imgur.com/a/RgJO3KN (Sorry, insert image link is not working for me. Cntrl plus + can zoom a browser window.)

Whereas attaching two landers instead with a slightly lesser total mass of 69 tons actually yields a greatly decreased Delta-V of 5,381?

https://imgur.com/a/3XMbNua

Thanks for any observations or advice. And remember, fly safe!

(Note, I'm using 1.7.X game and mods)

@nonono I had to install a handful of other mods to get it close to opening. The only part that's missing now is B9.Structure.HX.HPD3. I installed all of the B9 mods (including the legacy parts pack) in hopes one of them had the part but no luck.

One thing I noticed when inspecting the craft file is that almost all parts are set to rigid attachment and almost every part has autostrut set to grandparent. This could have something to do with the explosions upon movement. 

Edited by shifty303

3 hours ago, shifty303 said:

@nonono I had to install a handful of other mods to get it close to opening. The only part that's missing now is B9.Structure.HX.HPD3. I installed all of the B9 mods (including the legacy parts pack) in hopes one of them had the part but no luck.

One thing I noticed when inspecting the craft file is that almost all parts are set to rigid attachment and almost every part has autostrut set to grandparent. This could have something to do with the explosions upon movement. 

I use B9 reconfig made by JadeofMaar which modifies the standard B9 engines, that part it references is the engine I'm using. That said, I think the problem was the Orca command pod from USI... I found out it was erasing my Kerbals from existence when they would EVA from it so I took it out. That somehow fixed the problem and I don't have the faintest idea why it was making the KSPIE parts explode... Autostrut and rigid attach has been a mainstay for me for years, it prevents my computer from getting bogged down and making small wobbles go out of control.

@FreeThinker

I've just updated all my mods after being away from the game for a while. Have you altered the open cycle gas core nuclear engine? I had a craft in a low kerbol orbit on a rescue mission and it had 17000 dv before I updated, now it only has about 11000, though it should be just enough to get me home. I had a look in the tech tree and I see a new open cycle gas core in there. Has this replaced the old one and do I have to spend over 1000000 to unlock it again?

Edited by Turbo Ben

12 hours ago, Turbo Ben said:

@FreeThinker

I've just updated all my mods after being away from the game for a while. Have you altered the open cycle gas core nuclear engine? I had a craft in a low kerbol orbit on a rescue mission and it had 17000 dv before I updated, now it only has about 11000, though it should be just enough to get me home. I had a look in the tech tree and I see a new open cycle gas core in there. Has this replaced the old one and do I have to spend over 1000000 to unlock it again?

Yes I lowered max Isp (to more realistic number) and replaced the engine by another part which you need to unlock again.

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes I lowered max Isp (to more realitic number) and replaced the engine by another part which you need to unlock again.

Cool. I've modded my save game and added some funds to unlock the new engine. It looks glorious BTW!

Just as an aside, if I was to go through my save file and change the name of all the old open cycle engines to "OpenCycleGasCoreRocket2", would that replace all my old engines with the new model? I have a feeling it's not going to be that simple. They all have an excess of dv so hopefully the reduced isp won't affect any of my in progress missions.

1 hour ago, Turbo Ben said:

Cool. I've modded my save game and added some funds to unlock the new engine. It looks glorious BTW!

Just as an aside, if I was to go through my save file and change the name of all the old open cycle engines to "OpenCycleGasCoreRocket2", would that replace all my old engines with the new model? I have a feeling it's not going to be that simple. They all have an excess of dv so hopefully the reduced isp won't affect any of my in progress missions.

I would not recommend doing save game editing where you replace the part.

10 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I would not recommend doing save game editing where you replace the part.

I agree, tried it on one of my vessels that only has 1 engine. It appeared in the wrong place, at the wrong scale, and with a shroud lol

I feel like I'm going crazy. This is my first playthrough, and this mod was recommended to me by a number of people so I've been using it. I'm trying to create my first refueling station around Minmus and wanted to mine ore to create fuel so it would be self-sustaining. However, I cannot figure out how to create fuel/oxidizer. I tried to make a flow chart for using the chemical plant processes before I learned that they weren't the main function of the convert-o-tron (first time, dumb mistakes abound). But I still cannot figure out how to make fuel from ore. All the tutorials show it being super easy. 

Am I missing an option or something? Can I add this functionality to the Convert-O-Tron again? The only thing it makes is lithium. I've looked through the tech tree and can't see any upgrades I've yet to unlock that will give this functionality. 

LUqtCgh.png

22wmAj5.png

StwshxY.png

Edited by theicon32
added direct images

On 1/2/2019 at 9:19 AM, Turbo Ben said:

There is no exhaust plume and no thrust generated, though occasionally I get a momentary puff from the exhaust. I've tried shutting down and reactivating the engines which does not work.

I'm having this issue with the Liquid Core Reactor Engine.  It starts activated on the launchpad, so I have to shut it off to activate the first stage, and then when I get to space it emits a puff and then nothing.  I've tested it by cheating it into orbit around the sun, so it's not the restriction about using it in atmosphere or pointed at Kerbin (I do get that warning when I am in atmosphere or pointed at Kerbin).

I also tested whether it was a cooling problem; my first craft had insufficient radiators, so I added quite a few more (until the VAB KSPIE window showed all green) and still no luck.

It puffs when I shutdown the engine, shutdown the reactor, turn the reactor back on and then start the engine.  It also puffs _sometimes_ if I warp for a while (I'm uncertain why it does sometimes and not others).  The reactor state is never at any state other than Nominal or Shutdown.

Log File

Craft File

Mod List

I'm on KSP 1.8.1 because Kopernicus.

Edited by GDorn
Massive dupes