KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

53 minutes ago, TomfooleryYT said:

why is the lightbulb nuclear engine asking for air combustion? it's not a air breathing engine, right? If it is, I have no idea why I was able to get out to duna...NqHNsKn.jpeg

You dont have fuel XD

Regarding the air for combustion thing, idk, but its NOT an air breathing engine, at all (sadly). Where does it ask for air, am I blind?

8 minutes ago, AntaresMC said:

You dont have fuel XD

Regarding the air for combustion thing, idk, but its NOT an air breathing engine, at all (sadly). Where does it ask for air, am I blind?

I do have fuel. LF on the bottom left.

where it asked for air combustion is in the top right context menu, under "Cause".

the good news, I fixed it. Apparently, the nuclear reactor on the other side of the umbrella reactor needed some enru in it to have the engine activate. what the correlation is, I have no idea.

14 minutes ago, TomfooleryYT said:

I do have fuel. LF on the bottom left.

where it asked for air combustion is in the top right context menu, under "Cause".

the good news, I fixed it. Apparently, the nuclear reactor on the other side of the umbrella reactor needed some enru in it to have the engine activate. what the correlation is, I have no idea.

You didnt have fuel (U233 in this case), LF is propellant (and the worst in the mod along with stock Oxidizer, change it to whatever else if possible). The fuel gives the geat and the propellant the remass, its mostly semantics XD

The engine uses U and prop, so it may be that uses the same module as jet engines with IntakeAir and fuel, just a hypothesys

I've not got very far into Interstellar, I've mainly been playing with the reactors and ISRUs, as I plan to try and dig up all the fuels I will use.  I'm looking at the Rutherford engine, and see the best ISP comes from adding Beryllium.  I can see this as tank storage option, but I can't see any on the drill interface or any scanners.  Is this a bug or is it not possible to dig it up?

20 hours ago, syngen said:

I've not got very far into Interstellar, I've mainly been playing with the reactors and ISRUs, as I plan to try and dig up all the fuels I will use.  I'm looking at the Rutherford engine, and see the best ISP comes from adding Beryllium.  I can see this as tank storage option, but I can't see any on the drill interface or any scanners.  Is this a bug or is it not possible to dig it up?

Beryllium is curently of a KTC premium resource, that gives you a thrust and isp at launch. Its intended you switch to another fuel when refueling. n the near future you should be able to process it from Rare Minerals

On 11/11/2020 at 1:44 AM, Souptime said:

What happens when you poke iHal? i did it and it just said status: moving... and im wondering if it does something

You spend 1000sci to create a conscious AI that cant pilot your ship but gives you a bit of science over time as if it was a lab

You just go and hail your new machine overlord

Edited by AntaresMC

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Be careful with making the AI self consiously, it might decide serfawareness is an agony and will make the reactor critical

A bit offtopic, but you spent a ton of science in it, wouldnt it be well done enough to not be suicidal? Also you have to be good to blow up a reactor, they usually malfuction when too hot. Unless its antimatter...

1 hour ago, AntaresMC said:

A bit offtopic, but you spent a ton of science in it, wouldnt it be well done enough to not be suicidal? Also you have to be good to blow up a reactor, they usually malfuction when too hot. Unless its antimatter...

Well I heard they did blow up some experiment KIWI

https://www.osti.gov/opennet/servlets/purl/16295582/16295582.pdf

lg7bH.gif

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3382510&userid=148052

Edited by FreeThinker

Hello,
I am taking back Kerbal after a long absence. I updated my mods and unfortunately I discovered that the names of some parts from KSPIE have visibly changed (KspiEpstein, ThermalRamjetNozzle, ThermalAntimatterReactor, ...).
In doing so, the game can no longer charge the vehicles in question. Except these parts are found on almost all my vehicles, which represents hundreds of hours of creation. I tried to find old versions of the mod, but there are no longer enough old ones available on the sites. How can I get my ships back and not lose everything ?
Thanks in advance for your help, and for all the work you do on this mod !

10 hours ago, Hira said:

Hello,
I am taking back Kerbal after a long absence. I updated my mods and unfortunately I discovered that the names of some parts from KSPIE have visibly changed (KspiEpstein, ThermalRamjetNozzle, ThermalAntimatterReactor, ...).
In doing so, the game can no longer charge the vehicles in question. Except these parts are found on almost all my vehicles, which represents hundreds of hours of creation. I tried to find old versions of the mod, but there are no longer enough old ones available on the sites. How can I get my ships back and not lose everything ?
Thanks in advance for your help, and for all the work you do on this mod !

The simple solution is to simply make a copy of the part files that are missing with the name you need

I'm just wondering if all the Nozzle type thrusters only work with reactors now? I mean they say so in the description.. but from all the videos i saw, they used to work perfectly fine with a thermal receiver in the past. I just cant get any of that magic to work now. 
Was looking forward to building a nice power relay network but am kinda bummed that i cant seem to get anything except the plasma thruster to work with beamed power. I'm probably just missing something, which is why i'm asking here. 

My setup is this. That's in a clean install with just KSPIE added:
 C76194434E8E78721C6E0A5BE357457CE9F947BD

Any idea what's wrong with it? The most current video i found (from this year) used a very similar setup and got thrust. 

6 hours ago, Schragon said:

I'm just wondering if all the Nozzle type thrusters only work with reactors now? I mean they say so in the description.. but from all the videos i saw, they used to work perfectly fine with a thermal receiver in the past. I just cant get any of that magic to work now. 
Was looking forward to building a nice power relay network but am kinda bummed that i cant seem to get anything except the plasma thruster to work with beamed power. I'm probably just missing something, which is why i'm asking here. 

My setup is this. That's in a clean install with just KSPIE added:
 C76194434E8E78721C6E0A5BE357457CE9F947BD

Any idea what's wrong with it? The most current video i found (from this year) used a very similar setup and got thrust. 

try having them both of the same size and forget the fuel lines, not needed. In theory anything with ThermalPower should work. Do you have appropiate propellant and beam coverage?

48 minutes ago, AntaresMC said:

try having them both of the same size and forget the fuel lines, not needed. In theory anything with ThermalPower should work. Do you have appropiate propellant and beam coverage?

Tried that before, which did not work and was why i put the fuel lines there to make sure it wasnt a crossfeed problem or anything. 

As for beam coverage, the thing beaming power lies on the runway, and the beamed power interface tells me it's receiving over half a gigawatt of power, which should be more than sufficient. I think. 

Propellant is both in the engine as well as the tank set to Liquid Hydrogen (also can be seen in the screenshot). Unless that does not work in the atmosphere that shouldnt be the problem. I'm pretty sure i also tested others like HydroLox tho, with the same (lack of) effect. 

Edit: Alright, i have no idea what's the scientific background or if this is a bug, but it's the Liquid Hydrogen which seems to cause the problem. HydroLOx, Liquid Fuel and Kerosine worked just fine. 

Edited by Schragon
adding information

32 minutes ago, Schragon said:

Tried that before, which did not work and was why i put the fuel lines there to make sure it wasnt a crossfeed problem or anything. 

As for beam coverage, the thing beaming power lies on the runway, and the beamed power interface tells me it's receiving over half a gigawatt of power, which should be more than sufficient. I think. 

Propellant is both in the engine as well as the tank set to Liquid Hydrogen (also can be seen in the screenshot). Unless that does not work in the atmosphere that shouldnt be the problem. I'm pretty sure i also tested others like HydroLox tho, with the same (lack of) effect. 

Edit: Alright, i have no idea what's the scientific background or if this is a bug, but it's the Liquid Hydrogen which seems to cause the problem. HydroLOx, Liquid Fuel and Kerosine worked just fine. 

It works fine. You need a certain amount of pressure to overcome air pressure, if not, you just heat air in the best case scenario, and hot stuff recirculates into the cryotanks causing R.U.D. in the funniest case scenario (sadly not simulated in KSPIE). Anyway, going offtopic, if there isnt enough pressure (essentially thrust although not exactly proportional), its not gonna do anything. H2 gives basicly no thrust so you need a lot of power for it to work at low atmo, and its trash at launch vehicles, just use a denser, thrustier one.

22 hours ago, AntaresMC said:

It works fine. You need a certain amount of pressure to overcome air pressure, if not, you just heat air in the best case scenario, and hot stuff recirculates into the cryotanks causing R.U.D. in the funniest case scenario (sadly not simulated in KSPIE). Anyway, going offtopic, if there isnt enough pressure (essentially thrust although not exactly proportional), its not gonna do anything. H2 gives basicly no thrust so you need a lot of power for it to work at low atmo, and its trash at launch vehicles, just use a denser, thrustier one.

@Schragon  Indeed, although there is close to 4 GW beamed maximum power available, the power received by the Thermal Reciever is severely reduced  when scaled down to 1.25m. It is further redused by a non matching nozle diameter. Therefore I suggest you match the diamerer of the reciever with the diameter of the nozzle, as this ensure maximum efficiency and allows you to achieve its full potential. Another option you might consider is to use an Airospike, which perform better at low altitute. SInce the full size 2.5m thermal reciever has a max power of 8 GW, I suggest you use the half size thermal receiver which limits the maximum power to 4 GM (for 2.5 diamter) with reduces mass cost

Edited by FreeThinker

I've been googling this for about an hour and cant seem to find a solution, but signs point to possibly KSPI modifying the precoolers.

My problem is that my precoolers are all overheating at high speed and exploding during re-entry. I have the air intakes closed. I've tried mounting radiators to the precoolers. I've tried different combinations of intake, precooler, fuel tank, engine, and have figured out the whole "Missing Precooler Ratio" thing in the process, and it doesn't seem to be related. I've tried turning the radiator on and off. Nothing seems to affect the precooler overheating.

Specific parts that I've tried are 'Engine Nacelle' and 'Engine Pre-cooler'.

Yes I have a load of other mods, but looking through no other obvious culprits are apparent. I'm on KSP 1.10.1, and KSPI 1.25.31.

Hi there everyone, I've been struggling through this mod over the last couple weeks and I finally decided to ask for help. I managed to progress pretty far down the tech trees with only nuclear engines since I can't for the life of me figure out the electrical ones, much less beamed power. 

Here I'm using the ELF engine, a  MK4 dusty plasma reactor, and a charged particle converter. Kerbal Engineer says that with my current setup, I should be getting about 78 kN of thrust when the engine requests  2.5 GW of energy.  The total heat production of the generator is 6 GW (with the converter at 85% efficiency) and I have enough radiators to cool to almost 14 GW. So I'm puzzled as to why I'm only getting around 1.7 GW requested in the reactor window and only getting 15 kN of thrust when in space. 

Is it something to do with the placement of the reactor/coverter/engine? Or maybe the engine isn't requesting enough power? Adding more radiators didn't help and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

unknown.png

unknown.png

1 hour ago, Snoman314 said:

I haven't got that stuff unlocked yet, but have you tried attaching the engine directly to the reactor? The other possibility is a size mis-match maybe? I think I read that reactors and engines are supposed to be the same diameter?

This applies to thermal engines but not for electric engine.

Notice in the  context menu it mentiones. Maximum Theoretical Power. This is a hint that certain condition needs to be met. In his case, its a matter of unlocked tech nodes.  Both the Dusty Plasma Reactor and Charged Particle Generator have upgrades which are unlocked only after researching tech.  Now since this upgrades can Theoreticly happen between flights it warns you in advance what might be it maximum power and therefore wasteheat. This information can be viewed in the Reactor partinfo screen.

I understand this can be confusing , and we were already working on sone interface improvement for next release which should make this less confusing next release.

6 hours ago, Snoman314 said:

I've been googling this for about an hour and cant seem to find a solution, but signs point to possibly KSPI modifying the precoolers.

My problem is that my precoolers are all overheating at high speed and exploding during re-entry. I have the air intakes closed. I've tried mounting radiators to the precoolers. I've tried different combinations of intake, precooler, fuel tank, engine, and have figured out the whole "Missing Precooler Ratio" thing in the process, and it doesn't seem to be related. I've tried turning the radiator on and off. Nothing seems to affect the precooler overheating.

Specific parts that I've tried are 'Engine Nacelle' and 'Engine Pre-cooler'.

Yes I have a load of other mods, but looking through no other obvious culprits are apparent. I'm on KSP 1.10.1, and KSPI 1.25.31.

Question, how many intakes do you have compaired to the number of precoolers?

Edited by FreeThinker

12 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Question, how many intakes do you have compaired to the number of precoolers?

I have one intake, one pre-cooler per engine. Missing Precooler Ratio is zero. See screenshot just after hitting the atmosphere. Pre-coolers blows up a minute or so later.

o0aSgxD.png

I have also tried with the engine attached directly to the back of the Pre-cooler.