KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

@Senaurus intresting test, but in order to make any conclusion, you should repeat the same test without a computer core.

Man you are good, thank you for reply.

I did say "but when I do NOT use the computer core everything behaves normal", what I meant by that I had exactly the same 2 ships, but the tug had no computer core on it (that was the only ship out of two that did have it). Tug already was using the Construction Docking Port, which already has Command Module, so I did not have to replace Computer Core with another item, I just removed it. During this the game ran just fine, no slowdown. Clearly the only steps I did were 1, 2, 5 and 6, since there were no performance degradation.

Also, I did the same steps (1, 2, 5, 6) with only IHAL being replacement of Computer Core , which was implied by statement: "IHAL does not have this issue "

Sorry for not being clear.

Edited by Senaurus

3 minutes ago, Senaurus said:

Also, I did the same steps (1, 2, 5, 6) with only IHAL being replacement of Computer Core , which was implied by statement: "IHAL does not have this issue "

Well that is weird because they are technically the same except for some arbitrary properties like mass and stored power

Edited by FreeThinker

Well that is weird because they are technically the same except for some arbitrary properties like mass and stored power

Yeah, they do look awfully similar.

As far as "Auto stabilizing" goes I did test enabling and disabling it, because I thought slowness had to do with it, but removed those steps from the post because when I was doing timing it showed there was no definite difference between that option enabled or disabled, and post was already too long.

In the end, I posted the issue, because I really wanted to use Computer Core, and the reason for that was that I remembered wrongly, that Computer Core had the best reaction wheel strength to mass ratio in the game, but I just checked and it clearly is not the case.  At this point I don't think it is a big issue for me. I will just use IHAL instead, since it works just fine when "Auto Stabilizing" is Disabled (due to the RCS translation issue, not performance.)

Thank you FreeThinker.

On 4/15/2021 at 11:01 AM, Senaurus said:

Yeah, they do look awfully similar.

As far as "Auto stabilizing" goes I did test enabling and disabling it, because I thought slowness had to do with it, but removed those steps from the post because when I was doing timing it showed there was no definite difference between that option enabled or disabled, and post was already too long.

In the end, I posted the issue, because I really wanted to use Computer Core, and the reason for that was that I remembered wrongly, that Computer Core had the best reaction wheel strength to mass ratio in the game, but I just checked and it clearly is not the case.  At this point I don't think it is a big issue for me. I will just use IHAL instead, since it works just fine when "Auto Stabilizing" is Disabled (due to the RCS translation issue, not performance.)

Thank you FreeThinker.

I wonder if this is related to my issue wherein *upgrading* the computer core to full AI would destabilize the physics as soon as you moved out of range of the station... ie station has an 'upgraded' computer core.. undock, move away, try to land, but no, everything starts moving away from kerbin at a significant fraction of c (station and the ship, note that they're out of physics range of each other at this point), and have to reload from a save.  If one does not upgrade the computer core, this doesn't happen.  Had to scrap that entire station due to that, and a lot of F5/F9 to safely rescue the crew out of it (save/reload at the right point will work around hitting this bug).

22 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I wonder if this is related to my issue wherein *upgrading* the computer core to full AI would destabilize the physics as soon as you moved out of range of the station... ie station has an 'upgraded' computer core.. undock, move away, try to land, but no, everything starts moving away from kerbin at a significant fraction of c (station and the ship, note that they're out of physics range of each other at this point), and have to reload from a save.  If one does not upgrade the computer core, this doesn't happen.  Had to scrap that entire station due to that, and a lot of F5/F9 to safely rescue the crew out of it (save/reload at the right point will work around hitting this bug).

Lol, maybe. I actually had this happen and was wandering what it was. Well now I know. One strange thing I noticed when that happened was that velocity indicator did not change and was still displaying orbital velocity as the ship, clearly, was moving way faster than orbital velocity.

In the end I decided not to use computer core or IHal. A while back, like in KSP 1.4 times, I believe, computer core had best reaction wheel to weight ratio, but nowadays it is the same as any other reaction wheel, and that was the only reason I wanted to use it.

Edited by Senaurus

8 hours ago, KSPNoob said:

How would I go about just installing the warp/ftl parts? Which folders would I need.

right now they are located in "GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Electrical", but I guess it would be a smart idea to put them all in seperate FTL sub folder

edit. notice that besides the warp parts, you also need power and wasteheat management parts

Edited by FreeThinker

I also found something else regarding the problems I mentioned earlier in the thread (page 200) on the strange Megajoule/Kilowatt Hour drain which I tracked down to being the result of firing the "Heavy 5-way RCS Block" RCS thrusters, and made a new discovery by looking through the part files to see what could cause this. I noticed that even though the Heavy 5-way RCS do not show up as an electric thruster, their part definition file references "ElectricRCSController" as a module. So are they supposed to draw electric power? But if that's so, then it seems they're bugged in other ways because for one, they don't show up as needing electric in the VAB part description window, and for another, they can still fire just fine even with Megajoule, etc. reserves at zero - the depletion of such makes no difference. Moreover, once started, the power drain doesn't always stop even when you turn RCS off with the toggle button on the nav ball. But on the other hand, it seems from some comments beside the module reference that the reason this is included is to presumably tweak thrust values for Hydrogen propellant. So is it supposed to work like that if Hydrogen is selected, then the port would draw power to use it as a propellant, but it shouldn't draw power for other propellants? If so, there's a bug there, too.

In what way are these thrusters "supposed" to work viz. electric power?

Edited by shimmy00

2 hours ago, shimmy00 said:

In what way are these thrusters "supposed" to work viz. electric power?

They are Electric Powered RCS but will also work when insuficient power but at regular rcs isp instead of the 2x or 4x higher isp. Another advantage is they can work with multiple propellants

They are Electric Powered RCS but will also work when insuficient power but at regular rcs isp instead of the 2x or 4x higher isp. Another advantage is they can work with multiple propellants

Ah, so that's why it sucks up so much power, then, isn't it? But why are they still draining power even while turned off? I've had inconsistent behavior in that regard, sometimes turning them off turns off the power drain, other times it doesn't, other times it only shuts off "gradually" (e.g. it drops by like 0.03 MW/s or something.)

Edited by shimmy00

Just now, shimmy00 said:

Ah, so that's why it sucks up so much power, then, isn't it? But why are they still draining power even while turned off? I've had inconsistent behavior in that regard, sometimes turning them off turns off the power drain, other times it doesn't.

Are you sure you disabled them all?

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Are you sure you disabled them all?

It is when I hit the "RCS" button on the side of the nav ball. Doing that doesn't (always) seem to stop them from draining power, even if they don't visibly or audibly fire while the ship is turning, or even if it's not turning at all.

Edited by shimmy00

Two questions for the KSPIE Hive Mind:

1) I loaded up KSPIE and had a bunch of science points to spend, got myself the Command Center Dome among other cool looking toys, and wanted to play with it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong with this part, but when I launch a vehicle with it there's no view from inside (IVA). All I get is a black screen. The crew portraits are dark, and if I turn on the lights (U key), nothing happens either, viewing inside or outside.

I thought maybe the generator had something to do with it, but activating it doesn't change anything. There's plenty of electricity and megajoules available. The attitude controls respond as expected.

Additional: it looks like there's supposed to be lights on the three universal docking ports that are available, but nothing seems to happen when I try to turn them on.

So what am I missing? 

2) Is there a way to control when radiators are deployed? I have an ISRU rover that I built prior to loading KSPIE and it had several radiators on it. Now, when I launch it to the runway, the radiators extend, and won't stay retracted. If I hit the 'retract' button, they retract then immediately extend again. The radiators are set to 'toggle' in the one AG that they're included in, and none of the other parts in that AG are triggered when I launch.  And this happens on even the simplest of vehicles: for instance, an Mk1 capsule with a radiator attached to it, nothing else, and on launch the radiator extends. 

Edited by maddog59
added paragraph re: universal docking ports

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm doing my first playthrough of KSPIE and seem to have run into a problem. I have relevant tech tree unlocks: Improved Nuclear Power, Advanced Heat Management, Experimental Heat Management, Specialized Electrics, and Experimental Electrics. This should put me at Molten Salt Reactor Mk III and Thermal Power Generator Mk II.

Looking at a tutorial called "KSP Interstellar Extended Beam Power Compendium" it looks like they were getting 450MW, 675MW and 1.0GW from the MSR (at 4:16). Then with a setup of GAI core, Tweak-Scaled MSR at 3.75m, and Tweak-Scaled TPG at 3.75m in the VAB were getting a Total Heat Production of 2.96GW; the 3.75m MSR producing 1971 Mj and the TPG Max Theoretical Power of 1.5GW at 0.5 eff.

When I try to follow this I show 4.5MW, 6.75MW, and 10.13MW on the MSR part in the research screen, 44.37MW (not Mj) for the 3.75m MSR and 30.17MW via the TPG in the VAB with 44.37MW showing in the Thermal Helper. This is roughly 1% of what was shown in the tutorial so I'm wondering if another mod is making my rockets suffer.

I'm also running Community Category Kit, Community Resource Pack, Community Tech Tree, Cryo Tanks, Engine Tweaks for Making History, Firespitter, Hanger Ext, IFS and IFS Core, Kerbal Atomics, KIS/KAS, KJR, Kerbal Reusability Exp, Mk1/2/3/Station Stockalike Exp, Near Future (everything including waterfall), OPT (many), Photon Sailor, Precise Editor, Precise Editor, Procedural Parts, TweakScale, USI (everything), ZeroMiniAVC, B9PartSwitch, Konstruction, MechJeb2.

Looking in MoltenSaltReactor.cfg file I see:

basePowerOutputMk1 = 450

basePowerOutputMk2 = 675

basePowerOutputMk3 = 1012.6

I have no idea how this gets into the game, but I would assume there's a 0.01 scaling factor somewhere.

Thanks for this excellent mod,

Yar

20 hours ago, YarTheBug said:

Hello,

I'm doing my first playthrough of KSPIE and seem to have run into a problem. I have relevant tech tree unlocks: Improved Nuclear Power, Advanced Heat Management, Experimental Heat Management, Specialized Electrics, and Experimental Electrics. This should put me at Molten Salt Reactor Mk III and Thermal Power Generator Mk II.

Looking at a tutorial called "KSP Interstellar Extended Beam Power Compendium" it looks like they were getting 450MW, 675MW and 1.0GW from the MSR (at 4:16). Then with a setup of GAI core, Tweak-Scaled MSR at 3.75m, and Tweak-Scaled TPG at 3.75m in the VAB were getting a Total Heat Production of 2.96GW; the 3.75m MSR producing 1971 Mj and the TPG Max Theoretical Power of 1.5GW at 0.5 eff.

When I try to follow this I show 4.5MW, 6.75MW, and 10.13MW on the MSR part in the research screen, 44.37MW (not Mj) for the 3.75m MSR and 30.17MW via the TPG in the VAB with 44.37MW showing in the Thermal Helper. This is roughly 1% of what was shown in the tutorial so I'm wondering if another mod is making my rockets suffer.

I'm also running Community Category Kit, Community Resource Pack, Community Tech Tree, Cryo Tanks, Engine Tweaks for Making History, Firespitter, Hanger Ext, IFS and IFS Core, Kerbal Atomics, KIS/KAS, KJR, Kerbal Reusability Exp, Mk1/2/3/Station Stockalike Exp, Near Future (everything including waterfall), OPT (many), Photon Sailor, Precise Editor, Precise Editor, Procedural Parts, TweakScale, USI (everything), ZeroMiniAVC, B9PartSwitch, Konstruction, MechJeb2.

Looking in MoltenSaltReactor.cfg file I see:

basePowerOutputMk1 = 450

basePowerOutputMk2 = 675

basePowerOutputMk3 = 1012.6

I have no idea how this gets into the game, but I would assume there's a 0.01 scaling factor somewhere.

Thanks for this excellent mod,

Yar

When You have NearFuture electrics installed KSPIE will divide both power production and consumption by 100. This is in order to play them together more nice

This is probably covered, but IXS command has 4 seats but shows 5 in IVA - the extra being the commanders seat. If this is addressed can someone point me to the version that implemented a fix ?

1 hour ago, pp3d said:

This is probably covered, but IXS command has 4 seats but shows 5 in IVA - the extra being the commanders seat. If this is addressed can someone point me to the version that implemented a fix ?

Open WarpPlugin\Parts\Command\IXSCommandModule\ixs_command.cfg and change CrewCapacity to 5

Edit: I will  fix it in the next release

Edited by FreeThinker

21 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

When You have NearFuture electrics installed KSPIE will divide both power production and consumption by 100. This is in order to play them together more nice

Awesome. Thank you.

I noticed I could barely get a plane to fly with this power plant using any of the nozzles I have access to currently. If that's how the experience is meant to be then I'll have it. I just didn't want to struggle needlessly. :P

Cheers!

14 hours ago, YarTheBug said:

Awesome. Thank you.

I noticed I could barely get a plane to fly with this power plant using any of the nozzles I have access to currently. If that's how the experience is meant to be then I'll have it. I just didn't want to struggle needlessly. :P

Cheers!

Inititialy nuclear power engine are only powerfull to use in space, only late they become powerful  to launch you into space.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all-first off, impressive mod. So much stuff.

I'm trying to get a Hydrolox refinery on Minmus using the Hydrates there. No problem generating water from hydrates and electrolysis appears to be generating hydrogen and oxygen. The ISRU refrigerator is generating Liquid hydrogen which is being moved into the fuel tanks. The other ISRU refrigerator appears to be generating liquid oxygen but it refuses to move to the fuel tanks (ignore the liquid oxygen in the fuel tank...that is the remnants transported from launch). I don't see a manual way to move the liquid oxygen over.

Am I doing something wrong? See the images:

Things I have tried:
- Using a single ISRU refrigerator for both hydrogen and oxygen
- Using cryotanks specific to that liquid (one for hydro and one for oxygen)
- Putting the hydrates tank on the same vessel

Hydrates miner and tank on the right, my little power generator in the middle, and my refinery on the left. (Fuel delivery truck in the background)

(Incidentally, the KAS attachments like to explode occasionally on the refinery. I don't think they like the heat being generated....or it is a bug....)

3WIkBHO.png

Current refinery setup:

oeAZj5G.png

My mods: 

pd8bJUn.jpg