KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, ss8913 said:

May be related to my problem above; I was testing on a different save after the module manager warning, but while some parts were still *visible*, their functional modules were not working due to the DLL not loading.  Or your issue could be something else entirely?  but, possibly the same thing.

The only files with a name including Interstellar and .dll on my computer are:

./.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/WarpPlugin/Plugins/Interstellar.dll
./.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/InterstellarFuelSwitch/Plugins/MiniAVC.dll
./.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program/GameData/InterstellarFuelSwitch/Plugins/InterstellarFuelSwitch.dll

I have taken a look at the KSP.Log file and found:

[ERR 11:36:40.958] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Interstellar_Redist, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

followed by lots of:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Interstellar_Redist, Version=1.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'Interstellar_Redist, Version=1.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

So I think we might well be missing a file somewhere for this mod to properly operate...

5 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I did the CKAN update to 1.28.13; I do not have an "Interstellar_Redist.dll" anywhere in my entire KSP folder (I did not remove it from anywhere, it just doesn't exist, period, anywhere, according to Windows file search and my own looking around).  I do not have a PhotonSailor path in my GameData folder at all, and the only DLL in WarpPlugin/Plugins is interstellar.dll

The interstellar DLL is still not loading, specifically says (per modulemanager) that it is not compatible with this version of KSP that Squad just pushed; I think it's KSP 1.12.1.

It currenly in progress to be fixed see https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/8610#partial-pull-merging

Edit: It should be fixed now, please reinstall KSPIE

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

It currenly in progress to be fixed see https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/8610#partial-pull-merging

Edit: It should be fixed now, please reinstall KSPIE

thanks for your help yet again :)  are you a software developer in your professional life?  I'd be a little surprised if you were not :)

• 2 weeks later...

@FreeThinker - sometime in the last 1 or 2 updates, the Kerbstein engine now seems to specifically disallow tweakscaling; was this intentional?  If not, it's a bug :)  the adapter plate for the Kerbstein is still scalable, but the engine itself no longer is.  If this is intentional, then that's OK, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

EDIT: More specifically, it's not that the tweakscale options don't show up as though the part doesn't support tweakscale, it says "Tweakscale: Unavailable" in the right click options on the part in the VAB/SPH... I do notice the Kerbstein folder has 2 .cfg files with conflicting tweakscale parameters for the same part, maybe that's it?

Edited by ss8913

okay so im probably doing something wrong but can't figure out what

Im experimenting with setting up a beamed power network and I'm deciding which reactor to go with. whilst using the stellarator with a phased array and an MHD in the VAB i'm getting told i've got 14GW of radiator dissapation. however when i load up and activate the phased array after a few minutes my wasteheat goes up to 100% utilisation and power drops off very very fast.

pics for reference

https://imgur.com/a/LlCIEZ1

19 hours ago, ss8913 said:

@FreeThinker - sometime in the last 1 or 2 updates, the Kerbstein engine now seems to specifically disallow tweakscaling; was this intentional?  If not, it's a bug :)  the adapter plate for the Kerbstein is still scalable, but the engine itself no longer is.  If this is intentional, then that's OK, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Hi, Guilty as Charged, Your Honor. Sorry. :)

What happens is that, on KSPIE, TweakScale is made unavailable* for new crafts when full third-party modules support is not available (existing crafts and savegames are preserved, but as is - use them at your own risk). Currently, this happens when you have Waterfall installed, but not the TweakScale Companion for Visuals, that would provide support for scaling the plumes - and scaling engines without scaling the plumes was considered undesired by KSPIE.

Your current choices are to deinstall Waterfall or to install TSC for Visuals. One of that will make TweakScale available gain for new crafts.

*obs. Since 2.4.5, TweakScale provides ways to "soft ban" scaling on some parts at System's Integrator discretion (i.e., TweakScale never soft-ban anything, it's up to third-party authors such decision). It's called soft ban because it does not screws up any already existing crafts and savegames, but prevents TweakScale from being used on new ones.

This was originally intended to  be used on Challenges where some (or all) parts should not be TweakScaled (preventing the need to uninstall TweakScale for playing such Challenges), but this stunt found its way into situations where systems' integrators found undesirable to allow TweakScale to be used punctually by other reasons.

2 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Hi, Guilty as Charged, Your Honor. Sorry. :)

What happens is that, on KSPIE, TweakScale is made unavailable* for new crafts when full third-party modules support is not available (existing crafts and savegames are preserved, but as is - use them at your own risk). Currently, this happens when you have Waterfall installed, but not the TweakScale Companion for Visuals, that would provide support for scaling the plumes - and scaling engines without scaling the plumes was considered undesired by KSPIE.

Your current choices are to deinstall Waterfall or to install TSC for Visuals. One of that will make TweakScale available gain for new crafts.

*obs. Since 2.4.5, TweakScale provides ways to "soft ban" scaling on some parts at System's Integrator discretion (i.e., TweakScale never soft-ban anything, it's up to third-party authors such decision). It's called soft ban because it does not screws up any already existing crafts and savegames, but prevents TweakScale from being used on new ones.

This was originally intended to  be used on Challenges where some (or all) parts should not be TweakScaled (preventing the need to uninstall TweakScale for playing such Challenges), but this stunt found its way into situations where systems' integrators found undesirable to allow TweakScale to be used punctually by other reasons.

aha!  makes perfect sense.  I will go fix my universe immediately by installing TSC for Visuals :)

1 minute ago, ss8913 said:

aha!  makes perfect sense.  I will go fix my universe immediately by installing TSC for Visuals :)

hm.  CKAN doesn't seem to carry this mod.. intentional?  I'll go look elsewhere for it.. spacedock maybe

2 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

hm.  CKAN doesn't seem to carry this mod.. intentional?  I'll go look elsewhere for it.. spacedock maybe

It's in Beta yet. It's perfectly safe for use (the Alpha ones are potentially harmful), but it have an issue that prevents it to be published widely at this moment: by some reason that I still don't understand, the Revert to Launch resets the plume to the original scale… :huh:

You can save the game, load the game, switch between vessels, revert to editor and launch again, no problem. But if you Revert to Launch the plumes are descaled, and I just didn't found the reason yet…. (working on it as RL allows)

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

It's in Beta yet. It's perfectly safe for use (the Alpha ones are potentially harmful), but it have an issue that prevents it to be published widely at this moment: by some reason that I still don't understand, the Revert to Launch resets the plume to the original scale… :huh:

You can save the game, load the game, switch between vessels, revert to editor and launch again, no problem. But if you Revert to Launch the plumes are descaled, and I just didn't found the reason yet…. (working on it as RL allows)

well, I tried it; it definitely fixes the problem I was having.  Thanks!

Got a minor/major issue where parts that have solar panels and electric charge storage break. This completely fries Bluedog Design Bureau's many single-part probes, like Vanguard 1, and is kind of a pain in general. Any idea why this happens?

On 7/17/2021 at 3:49 PM, jediKatana said:

Got a minor/major issue where parts that have solar panels and electric charge storage break. This completely fries Bluedog Design Bureau's many single-part probes, like Vanguard 1, and is kind of a pain in general. Any idea why this happens?

I'm not the mod author, but if I were, I'd need some additional details:

1. KSP version
2. KSPIE version
3. define 'break' - break how?  Specifically describe the observed behavior, and also describe the expected behavior?
4. are you in the Kerbol system when this happens or are you in a different star system (ie, one added by a Kopernicus planet/star pack?) - Kopernicus has some issues where solar panels and other instrumentation such as SCANSat who need to determine if the surface is lighted or not, to always focus on Kerbol, not on the local star

On 7/19/2021 at 1:18 AM, ss8913 said:

I'm not the mod author, but if I were, I'd need some additional details:

1. KSP version
2. KSPIE version
3. define 'break' - break how?  Specifically describe the observed behavior, and also describe the expected behavior?
4. are you in the Kerbol system when this happens or are you in a different star system (ie, one added by a Kopernicus planet/star pack?) - Kopernicus has some issues where solar panels and other instrumentation such as SCANSat who need to determine if the surface is lighted or not, to always focus on Kerbol, not on the local star

Sorry about that. KSP version 1.12.9, KSPIE version 1.29.2. As for how - objects with solar panels and electric charge storage drop to 0.00 electric charge when in flight, as in 0.00 being the maximum, even though they're listed properly in the hangar. This is in the Kerbol system. Disabling the MM patch by manually commenting that segment out made it work fine.

On 7/21/2021 at 11:16 PM, jediKatana said:

Sorry about that. KSP version 1.12.9, KSPIE version 1.29.2. As for how - objects with solar panels and electric charge storage drop to 0.00 electric charge when in flight, as in 0.00 being the maximum, even though they're listed properly in the hangar. This is in the Kerbol system. Disabling the MM patch by manually commenting that segment out made it work fine.

gonna assume you meant KSP 1.12.1, since there is no 1.12.9 and 1.12.1 is the latest :)  

I've noticed recently that some of the "Near Future" mods, specifically "Near Future Spacecraft" can break some KSPIE functionality - like the anti-gravity/selectable exotic matter % on the warp drives loses its ability to be changed in flight when NFS is installed.  I'm thinking perhaps Near Future Electrical might be causing your problem?  I just checked and I do NOT have that installed, nor do I have your problem.. I do have a bunch of other electrical mods such as deployable batteries and dynamic battery storage, so it's not those..  What other mods do you have installed that match the tags 'battery' or 'electric' (ie, key that into the CKAN search, if you use CKAN to handle mods)

Does the problem happen at 1x timewarp or is this something you only notice during/after timewarping?

@FreeThinker- separate question, what affects warp drive charging speed?  Is it a function of both the reactor system and the size of the warp drives themselves or is it only one or the other?  I notice that I generally have faster charge times using the IXS reactor compared to the 'antimatter warp core' reactor, but I haven't isolated it fully.

Edited by ss8913

18 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

gonna assume you meant KSP 1.12.1, since there is no 1.12.9 and 1.12.1 is the latest :)  

I've noticed recently that some of the "Near Future" mods, specifically "Near Future Spacecraft" can break some KSPIE functionality - like the anti-gravity/selectable exotic matter % on the warp drives loses its ability to be changed in flight when NFS is installed.  I'm thinking perhaps Near Future Electrical might be causing your problem?  I just checked and I do NOT have that installed, nor do I have your problem.. I do have a bunch of other electrical mods such as deployable batteries and dynamic battery storage, so it's not those..  What other mods do you have installed that match the tags 'battery' or 'electric' (ie, key that into the CKAN search, if you use CKAN to handle mods)

Does the problem happen at 1x timewarp or is this something you only notice during/after timewarping?

@FreeThinker- separate question, what affects warp drive charging speed?  Is it a function of both the reactor system and the size of the warp drives themselves or is it only one or the other?  I notice that I generally have faster charge times using the IXS reactor compared to the 'antimatter warp core' reactor, but I haven't isolated it fully.

i have small brain, I did in fact mean KSP 1.12.1

I do have the Near Future series, so that may well be the problem. The issue happens at all timewarps. I'm not sure what's going on, but it likely does have something to do with NFE and its timewarp compensation method. I think.

so it's taken me years to figure this out, but... have any of you guys used the FTL drives' anti-grav ability?  I completely don't need VTOL engines anymore.. just crank the exotic matter % on the primary warp engine to over 100% and you can fly/hover/etc just on the anti-grav capabilities.. obviously works better in deeper gravity wells, but it can completely replace your need for downward-firing engines to handle VTOL.  This has completely changed the way I build things and has made.. perhaps unfortunately.. many of my older designs completely obsolete.  Takes a little practice to know how to use it effectively and it provides zero lateral control, but when you figure it out, it's almost like magic :)

so this might be a KSP Recall issue.. as it just recently updated, but it's required by this mod.. I did post this over there; but ever since last night's update, all the KSPIE engines are instantly overheating and making everything explode as soon as you throttle them up.. if you catch it in time and cut the throttle, it instantly cools off.. ie this is not how thermodynamics work in either direction; not sure what exactly to do here, I can't uninstall KSP Recall without uninstalling this and about 9 other mods, so.. any ideas?

so this might be a KSP Recall issue.. as it just recently updated, but it's required by this mod.. I did post this over there; but ever since last night's update, all the KSPIE engines are instantly overheating and making everything explode as soon as you throttle them up.. if you catch it in time and cut the throttle, it instantly cools off.. ie this is not how thermodynamics work in either direction; not sure what exactly to do here, I can't uninstall KSP Recall without uninstalling this and about 9 other mods, so.. any ideas?

OK, now I have no idea what the hell is going on.. Recall is the only thing I *can not* uninstall, but I noticed I had SystemHeat installed... removed that, even rolled KSP Recall back to its previous release from 8 days ago when everything was fine for me.. still doing it.  My previous designs all seem to be *somewhat* ok, although there's more heat than there was before... but the problem is as I described it above - even if I just make a simple sounding rocket with a positron-reactor-powered Krusader engine, burning Hydrazine.. and I put enough graphene radiators on it so that the KSPIE thermal calculator says I'm well in the clear.. as soon as I go full throttle on launch, almost every part on the ship overheats instantly (radiators first).. the radiators explode, followed by the rest of the ship.  the logs show nothing save the launch and then the explosion, I'm not seeing any errors or anything to indicate it.  If I just throttle up halfway or so, to the point where things don't quite explode but get red-hot... and then I cut the throttle.. everything *instantly* cools off.  I've never seen this behavior before and i've uninstalled pretty much everything that's been updated/added in the last few days.. and, as I said, rolled back the KSP Recall version to the previous one...

On 7/27/2021 at 3:14 AM, ss8913 said:

OK, now I have no idea what the hell is going on.. Recall is the only thing I *can not* uninstall, but I noticed I had SystemHeat installed... removed that, even rolled KSP Recall back to its previous release from 8 days ago when everything was fine for me.. still doing it.  My previous designs all seem to be *somewhat* ok, although there's more heat than there was before... but the problem is as I described it above - even if I just make a simple sounding rocket with a positron-reactor-powered Krusader engine, burning Hydrazine.. and I put enough graphene radiators on it so that the KSPIE thermal calculator says I'm well in the clear.. as soon as I go full throttle on launch, almost every part on the ship overheats instantly (radiators first).. the radiators explode, followed by the rest of the ship.  the logs show nothing save the launch and then the explosion, I'm not seeing any errors or anything to indicate it.  If I just throttle up halfway or so, to the point where things don't quite explode but get red-hot... and then I cut the throttle.. everything *instantly* cools off.  I've never seen this behavior before and i've uninstalled pretty much everything that's been updated/added in the last few days.. and, as I said, rolled back the KSP Recall version to the previous one...

update: Lisias (owner of KSP Recall) has acknowleded this as a bug with KSP Recall (which is a required dependency of KSPIE) - possibly if KSPIE bundles an older version of KSP Recall in its distribution, it's not an issue for some, but for those of us using CKAN installs, this is definitely a problem.  However, Lisias has both acknowledged the bug/opened an issue to track, and has also posted a functional easy workaround on the KSP Recall thread, so if you go over to that thread, and you can use notepad, you can fix the issue in a couple of minutes while he develops the actual long-term fix in the mod.

update: Lisias (owner of KSP Recall) has acknowleded this as a bug with KSP Recall (which is a required dependency of KSPIE) - possibly if KSPIE bundles an older version of KSP Recall in its distribution, it's not an issue for some, but for those of us using CKAN installs, this is definitely a problem.  However, Lisias has both acknowledged the bug/opened an issue to track, and has also posted a functional easy workaround on the KSP Recall thread, so if you go over to that thread, and you can use notepad, you can fix the issue in a couple of minutes while he develops the actual long-term fix in the mod.

update update: Lisias has released a new 0.2.0.4 version of KSP Recall on all channels, including CKAN, which contains the fix.

Hello, I'm just allowing myself to come and ask a quick question.

Having resumed Kerbal after long months of absence, I discovered the novelties of mods.
Concerning the "Rocinante Kerbstein Fusion Drive", it is no longer possible to modify their size with the "TweakScale" mod? While the new "Kerbstein Drive Support Command Adapter" parts can be modified?

Is this on purpose or is this a temporary little bug?
Mainly using these engines for VERY large ships, thank you in advance for your answer to know if I need to change my way of designing these :-)

51 minutes ago, Hira said:

Hello, I'm just allowing myself to come and ask a quick question.

Having resumed Kerbal after long months of absence, I discovered the novelties of mods.
Concerning the "Rocinante Kerbstein Fusion Drive", it is no longer possible to modify their size with the "TweakScale" mod? While the new "Kerbstein Drive Support Command Adapter" parts can be modified?

Is this on purpose or is this a temporary little bug?
Mainly using these engines for VERY large ships, thank you in advance for your answer to know if I need to change my way of designing these :-)

Near the top of this page is a discussion about this issue (start at the linked post and continue reading the following posts):

For some reason, my entire ship explodes when trying to land and it displays a message saying "ran out of fuel for antimatter"  despite the fuel not actually nunning out. In addition, there is always lag a few seconds before the explosion. What is going on??!!

EDIT: so i opened up the console and the vessel was repeatedly packing and unpacking, seemingly this is unrelated

Edited by thekerbalman

Good morning... 
I'm running KSP 1.12.1, I installed KSPIE through CKAN (had 1.11 compatibility checked). I'm also running all the Nertea mods, Cryogenic Engines is the one I'm having trouble with.  

With IFS installed, the methalox tanks don't fuel the CryoEngines methane engines, as it seems there is a small difference in the resource naming.  The same issue seems to exist for hydrolox IFS tanks and hydrolox Cryo Engines.  If I remove the LFO tanks patch for IFS in patch manager, I get fuels that work with CryoEngines and not KSPIE (to be expected).  

Is there a config/are there configs somewhere that I can alter to work with both?  

On 7/29/2021 at 8:04 PM, thekerbalman said:

For some reason, my entire ship explodes when trying to land and it displays a message saying "ran out of fuel for antimatter"  despite the fuel not actually nunning out. In addition, there is always lag a few seconds before the explosion. What is going on??!!

EDIT: so i opened up the console and the vessel was repeatedly packing and unpacking, seemingly this is unrelated

"ran out of fuel for antimatter" is the result of the explosion (ie, your antimatter storage was destroyed before the reactor was, so that message appears).  Assuming you're not just landing too hard, I'd suggest looking and seeing if you're using any mods that modify the terrain height.. some mods do that and can cause unpredictable ground handling behavior.. like stock visual terrain i think is the one that I was fighting with for a while in that regard, although it was a while ago.

@FreeThinker - separate topic, something I've been meaning to ask for a while - the Winged Edge graphene radiators have a maximum pressure limit before they will dissipate heat - it seems to be the same limit as the folding graphene radiators (which makes sense for those, you can't extend them if there's high dynamic pressure for obvious reasons).. but considering that none of the other fixed graphene radiators have that limit, and considering that it's a "winged edge" radiator, why do the parts not work in the presence of significant dynamic pressure?  they don't *break*, they just *don't dissipate heat*.  It seems a bit counterintuitive that these particular parts would have that particular limitation?  As I recall they didn't always do this, either.