KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

I wanted to ask about positron storage - it seems that in both S.A.G.E and positron tanks there is constant drain of particles.. it makes impossible to gather any antimater while in optimal orbit around kerbin using 10 antimater traps. Is it by design ? and why ? maybe it supposed to be draining only when unpowered ?

Without save editor my ship would be doomed.

Additionally S.A.G.E is not having air only mode (without fuel added to it- only atmo+antimatter)

I figured it out - there is probably a bug as reactors shows 0.1xx percent active even when engine is shut down, one need to manually disable reactor in reactor control window to stop drain. I have no idea why is that but it is certainly a bug. :)

So I haven't played for years and went all-in with mods, which got me a bit confused.

How do ion engines work with KSPI-E? They only needed propellant and electric charge before, but now simple ion engine is somehow connected to MW outputs? Simple test probe on screenshot does not use any xenon at all and does not produce even nN of thrust.

https://imgur.com/a/zVyKGOX

• 2 weeks later...

Heyo, can anyone help me with this? As of right now I'm trying to use the Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet engine as a means of thrust for my spaceplane build, I'm trying to switch its propellant (I have the research necessary to unlock other propellant options) but not all the propellants listed in its info are available. As far as I can tell there is only one upgrade to it, so I'm curious as to why propellants like liquid fuel aren't showing up in its propellant list.

I installed KSPIE via CKAN btw, not sure if this could be the problem, but I don't see why it would be.

Back with another question, this time about reactors and fuels. I have a basic idea of how these are suppose to interact, function, get more, etc. BUT there's a big problem im having. Some reactors use fuels that basically dont exist anywhere else (besides a single storage part), i have combed the entire tech tree looking for upgrades and tanks, as well as combed through all the parts trying to figure this out. This isnt the only one, but for example, ive been trying to figure out how the heck i can get more uraniumnitride for a pebble bed reactor, and there is virtually nothing that seems to provide it, not even an ISRU, the only thing with it is a single storage part thats hexagonal shaped. this is on top of the fact that i dont see a bunch of specific fuel types available for some engines and reactors, even though i have the tech researched.

i have KSPIE, IFS core, redistributables, and interstellar technologies, as well as nearly the entire near future line up ( including electrics, if that matters, as well as far future), galaxies unbound, and some performance and visual mods, as well as helpful mods like mechjeb and KER. no mods appear to have incompatibilities.

I'm seeing duplicated part categories from PartCategories.cfg. I thought that this might be related to KSP-IE, because it adds a category, and that's always the last category. However I found a lot of duplicate category data in ModuleManager.ConfigCache. I'm thinking that even if KSP-IE is adding its category multiple times, most of the problem is in how ModuleManager is managing the category data in its cache.

Edited by luna_cat
typos

• 2 weeks later...

What am I supposed to do with Thermal Power? I have four NERV engines that become totally inoperative when they saturate with ThermalPower. I'm not talking about waste heat, I have radiators for that. But when I throttle the engine down, ThermalPower spikes and NEVER goes away.

All I have pieced together is that there's parts that use 'thermalpower' for fuel. Yeah except I don't care, I don't want them, I don't need them, and I don't even know what we're talking about here, or if I even have any unlocked. I've been using hyperedit to drain the worthless resource but seriously is there no way to dump it?

Also why can I activate my NERVAs twice? It doubles the power output, which is cool, but pretty sure it's not supposed to be happening...

Edited by Frostiken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there a new discord link? The link on the github is expired.
Edit: I've since found that the discord server was stopped, and Freethinker moved to guilded.gg instead. However, that place is also pretty dead.

On 1/9/2023 at 7:56 AM, gzzw said:

Did kspie work on kspv1.12.4? My game crashed when i install it.I'm sure i didn't install any other mods.

crash log:https://wwoc.lanzoum.com/iwU2U0kif8ob

thanks.

Not sure why your game is crashing, but I'm playing KSPIE on 1.12.4 without issues. I used CKAN to install it.

Edited by Mqrius

I’ve been trying to get antimatter reactors to do “anything” for over two day now with no luck.
So far as I can tell, they do nothing.  If I put any other type of reactor in its place, everything works fine.  I can use a thermal electric generator with anything other than an antimatter reactor and get the warp drive to work with anything other than an antimatter reactor.  Before you ask, I do have antimatter available for the reactor… it just doesn’t work.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I'm using the latest KSPIE from CKAN (1.29.6), game is 1.12.5 and (Advanced) Science Lab causes an issue with NullReferenceException which prevents all menu buttons from working and blocks saving games. It's very similar to the same issue from page 198. Any solution to this?

[EXC 18:24:50.492] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	TweakScale.TweakScale.OnSave (ConfigNode node) (at <cf1abb1b50de40fe83042990f01ebf6f>:0)
	PartModule.Save (ConfigNode node) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	ProtoPartModuleSnapshot..ctor (PartModule module) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	ProtoPartSnapshot..ctor (Part PartRef, ProtoVessel protoVessel, System.Boolean preCreate) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	ProtoPartSnapshot..ctor (Part PartRef, ProtoVessel protoVessel) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	ProtoVessel..ctor (Vessel VesselRef, System.Boolean preCreate) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	ProtoVessel..ctor (Vessel VesselRef) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	Vessel.Unload () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	Vessel.Update () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

^repeats every frame

Edited by mkrz

11 hours ago, mkrz said:

Hi. I'm using the latest KSPIE from CKAN (1.29.6), game is 1.12.5 and (Advanced) Science Lab causes an issue with NullReferenceException which prevents all menu buttons from working and blocks saving games. It's very similar to the same issue from page 198. Any solution to this?

[EXC 18:24:50.492] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	TweakScale.TweakScale.OnSave (ConfigNode node) (at <cf1abb1b50de40fe83042990f01ebf6f>:0)
	PartModule.Save (ConfigNode node) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	ProtoPartModuleSnapshot..ctor (PartModule module) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	ProtoPartSnapshot..ctor (Part PartRef, ProtoVessel protoVessel, System.Boolean preCreate) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	ProtoPartSnapshot..ctor (Part PartRef, ProtoVessel protoVessel) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	ProtoVessel..ctor (Vessel VesselRef, System.Boolean preCreate) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	ProtoVessel..ctor (Vessel VesselRef) (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	Vessel.Unload () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	Vessel.Update () (at <4b449f2841f84227adfaad3149c8fdba>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

^repeats every frame

Update to the latest TweakScale (2.4.6.23 at this moment).

Your GameData is "infected" with a pretty old problem that I call "Rogue Duplicate", when less than ideally written parches shove multiple copies of the TweakScale module on a part. While fixing a weird bug on 2.4.6.21 (that I still didn't understood what happened to this day), I made a stupid mistake on the code that handles this Rogue Duplicate crap on 2.4.6.22.

Your rig will still have that Rogue Duplicate thingies, but with 2.4.6.23 TweakScale is able to handle them again.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, Lisias said:

Update to the latest TweakScale (2.4.6.23 at this moment).

Your GameData is "infected" with a pretty old problem that I call "Rogue Duplicate", when less than ideally written parches shove multiple copies of the TweakScale module on a part. While fixing a weird bug on 2.4.6.21 (that I still didn't understood what happened to this day), I made a stupid mistake on the code that handles this Rogue Duplicate crap on 2.4.6.22.

Your rig will still have that Rogue Duplicate thingies, but with 2.4.6.23 TweakScale is able to handle them again.

Cheers.

Thanks, it helped.

• 3 weeks later...

My 6000-hour KSP-IE review shows how to get all data from biomes from all planets and moons and fill the tech tree.

I've gotten all science data from all biomes from all planets and moons. KSP-IE is special to me because it got my kids interested in physics, especially nuclear and beam power, without physics cheating or parts working magically good. But in the past, I gave lousy advice a couple of times because I included KSP-IE with other mods such as Near Future and similar mods. They all worked well with KSP-IE, but not most people on the KSPI-IE forum don't have Magnetoplasmadynamic Thrusters, for example. This time I was getting all data from all biomes; the ONLY mods installed were KSP-IE and USI Life Support. Not having life support makes the game too easy, I think. I also powered all ships using beam power, making the ships much lighter and cheaper than including a reactor.

Let me begin where the stock tech tree ends. Normally my ships, I received a lot of beam power, then powered the Magnetoplasmadynamic Thrusters, which worked very good-almost too good. I needed an alternative using only KSP-IE. First, to use any beam power, I needed a beam. I found the low-tech Multen Salt reactor to be one of my favorites because it is also one of the longest-life reactors. A 5-meter molten salt reactor with an Inline Wrapped Phase Array Transmitter using the Infra-Red wavelength(the highest frequency in the early beam transmitters) is a great place to begin. One placed in a high Kerbin polar orbit can supply ample power to all within the Kerbin gravity of influence. The best combination of high ISP and high thrust early using beam power I found is the Thermal Turbojet. The thermal turbojet uses a wide variety of propellents, but I found plain Oxidizer to work well, and Ox is easier to mine and refine than other propellants such as CO2, Carbon Monoxide, Neon, Argon, Xenon, etc. The Thermal Turbojet is a thermal rocket that requires a thermal-type beam power receiver. Relays are also needed to get power to all sides of Kerbin and Mun. I use two relays in the perpendicular polar orbit and one in the equatorial orbit around Kerbin and Mun, which works well.

I made a spaceship to reach Duna with a miner for mining ore and refining, a rover for getting science data from Ike, and an SSTO spaceplane for flying across Duna. The spaceship had a molten salt reactor with a Double Pivoting Phased Array Transceiver transmitting IR, which gives plenty of power and a small enough spot size for a small rover or spaceplane to receive. The spaceplane had a thermal turbojet that could use air and oxygen as a propellant. The plane also had large elevators, airbrakes, and wheels for control in thin air and rough landings. If you are higher tech, you can build a powerful X-Ray transmitter in polar Kerbol orbit near the sun getting loads of solar power from a large Blanket solar receiver. A large enough X-Ray transmitter can then beam power all the way to Duna and most planets with a small usable spot size. However, X-Ray can not relay, so make sure you stay in line-of-sight. The highest frequency that can relay is Vacuum Ultraviolet. It is possible to build a Super-Size vacuum ultraviolet transmitter that can transmit power to most planets with a small enough spot-size to be usable while still being able to relay and cover all areas.

I used the same spaceship to enter all biomes of Moho and Dres, and even Eeloo with extra fuel and living space and a miner providing a refuel for going home, but Eve was more of a challenge. I needed a spaceship with a stronger beam transmitter, and the spaceplane used on Duna was not strong enough to escape Eve's orbit. The Eve spaceplane needed a higher ISP ATTILA thruster while receiving enough power to be powerful. I tried many propellents, but simple monopropellant seemed to work best. The ATTILA is also an electric engine requiring a lot of energy received in the form of electricity. The added power and electric engine also required large graphene and titanium heat radiators. The plane was also heavier than the Duna plane, which needed two thermal turbojets to get a high enough speed before using the ATTILA to reach Eve orbit. Once flying near the Eve surface, the more heavy plane has no trouble flying at low speed with easy landings. After some practice, the plane could also take off and land off the water.

Jool and its moons required a different starship because I wanted to level up lots of Kerbals, which needed lots of living space and a powerful transmitter to send power to all the moons. By then, I had a Quantum Singularity Reactor, which gave lots of power for thrust and beam-power transmitting in Vacuum Ultraviolet. I tried many high-tech engines, but the simpler Plasma Nozzle attached directly to the singularity reactor gave a good combination of power and ISP when using a hydrogen propellant and a fuel. Ironically, the more high-tech plane used on Eve did not do well on Laythe because it was too fast and heavy. The more simple Duna plane did nicely. To mine and refine hydrogen, you need the All In One ISRU, but that requires regolith, which is not on all moons. Tylo was also a challenge because the heavy gravity and lack of atmosphere made it difficult to land and maneuver after landing. After my lunar lander landed, there was not enough fuel left to hop to all biomes, so a rover was needed and stay on the ground. The same rover used before did not climb Tylo hills well, so larger, more powerful wheels were needed- even if a powerful beam was available. After landing the rover, there was not enough fuel to get back into orbit, so after visiting all Tylo biomes. I needed to drive to the miner refinery, which refueled my Ox tank on the rover, then I had enough fuel to reach orbit and dock.

That's about it to getting all Biomes from all bodies. After finishing Duna, Ike, Eve, and all Jools moons, any remaining planets or moons will seem easy. I already finished getting data from many biomes in the stock game, but that required a LOT more refueling because of the lower ISP and weaker engines, even when using the Nerv engine. Escaping Eve required landing a HUGE rocket, and Tylo required a large rocket to take off and land and refill for each biome. Instead, reaching all biomes using KSP-IE was fun and easy after I knew what to do while using real science. I hope someone finds this post helpful.

Edited by enewmen

• 2 weeks later...

I found myself overwhelmed with the choices when it came to beamed power, and struggling to figure out what antenna / wavelength etc to use for varying scenarios, so I threw together a quick spreadsheet to help with the calculations. 

Should be pretty self-explanatory, you can enter an SOI from Kerbin (e.g. Duna) or manually enter a distance and it'll show the spot sizes at various wavelengths. Enter your antenna aperture size and you can work out what size antenna you need at various wavelengths / distances.

Anyone is free to make a copy and use it yourself. 

Find it here (google sheets link)

Spoiler

yzxXJt4.png

• 2 weeks later...

I read somewhere there was a problem between these two mods that prevents megajoules from being used. Has this been fixed, and if so on what version of kerbalism or interstellar was this fixed.

I had created a probe with an ion engine and of course it didnt work since all my megajoule sources are locked off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 1:06 AM, Dingleberry said:

I am also having an issue where stock solar panels are producing Megajoules and it's not converting into ElectricCharge. I had NFE installed and I thought the capacitators did the converting but I know that mod isn't the most compatible so I've since removed it.  I don't have any capacitators unlocked in the tech tree so I'm wondering how to provide power to my satellites.

I, too, am having this issue.   I barely get a trickle charge with a trio of Gigantors faced directly at the sun.  They say their sun exposure is 100%.  Power output seems inconsistent at different levels of time warp, not speeding up nearly as much as it should.  At the highest couple of levels, charge actually starts draining.  This is on a very basic, early-game probe with nothing to drain power apart from the core and a couple of reaction wheels.  Despite this, anything less than a few Gigantors won't provide enough power to keep the probe functional. 

I apologize if a solution has already been posted in this thread, but searching the thread for terms like "solar panels" and "charge" and "megajoules" doesn't really narrow things down much, given all the talk in this thread about power networks.

Also, if it helps, the mods I have installed are:

Mechjeb

The Lazarus Awakenings planet pack (uses Kopernicus)

Extraplanetary Launchpads

Kethane

SCANsat

Kerbal Attachment System

TweakScale

OPT space plane parts

Near future solar

All mods were installed via CKAN.

Edited by RychschaX