KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

6 hours ago, ODSTjoker said:

I'm having an issue where the discovery engine doesn't use any liquid hydrogen (or any of the propellants) if the ISP throttle is set to the max value, I tested this on the two year journey from the screenshot and confirmed that not a single liquid hydrogen had been used, though other resources are draining properly

YBhEDJB.png

Its fine. The Isp throttle basicly regulates the amount of afterburner you throw at it. You get the highest Isp if you dump nothing but the fusion plasma

I seem to be missing something important for setting up a near-Kerbol solar power array. I've tried a few configurations. The simplest was a Remote Guidance Unit, a pair of Gigantor solar arrays, and a Phased Array Transceiver (deployed). I activate the Gigantors and set the Transceiver to transmit in Ka Microwave.

The Gigantors show lots of flux, but the Transceiver shows no power draw or output.

The solar arrays are producing Electrical Charge and Megajoules, and other components can draw Electrical Charge, but do not draw Megajoules. This includes transceivers, probe cores, and capacitors. 

Edited by Quixote
Formatting

On 9/16/2020 at 6:33 AM, Quixote said:

I seem to be missing something important for setting up a near-Kerbol solar power array. I've tried a few configurations. The simplest was a Remote Guidance Unit, a pair of Gigantor solar arrays, and a Phased Array Transceiver (deployed). I activate the Gigantors and set the Transceiver to transmit in Ka Microwave.

The Gigantors show lots of flux, but the Transceiver shows no power draw or output.

The solar arrays are producing Electrical Charge and Megajoules, and other components can draw Electrical Charge, but do not draw Megajoules. This includes transceivers, probe cores, and capacitors. 

First you need long range stuff. UV or Xray and FELs if possible.

Second, try bigger panels. Ive seen the big thermal things are the best for that.

KSPIE stuff uses MJ, including the transmitters. Capacitors transform one into the other at need anyways

Edited by AntaresMC

Having similar issues to Quixote.

• Blanket Thermophotovoltaic Receiver is collecting 80954210.000 (Energy Flow)
  • X-ray Free Electron Laser Transmitter has Power Capacity 3200.00 MW (x 2)
  • Big capacitor present full of MJ
  • Network power in the receiver interface is listed as 220.7 KW.   Expected higher - in VAB X-Ray Receiver has maximum electric power = 6000 MW.

Receiver:

uyLdY4q.png

Transmitter:

srh4ohh.png

17 hours ago, AntaresMC said:

First you need long range stuff. UV or Xray and FELs if possible.

Second, try bigger panels. Ive seen the big thermal things are the best for that.

KSPIE stuff uses MJ, including the transmitters. Capacitors transform one into the other at need anyways.

I realize that I need bigger, longer range stuff for practical reasons. The setup I described was for testing purposes only. I have tried the big photovoltaic blanket receiver with a stack of capacitors set to nearly all MJ, and a laser setup. The capacitors fill with MJ (they don't if I leave them set at default), but the laser generator and transmitter do not and no power is being drawn for transmission.

Edited by Quixote
Correction

Was there a change to Ion engines in the mod at some point recently? After putting the game down for a few weeks, I put in a new patch for Interstellar and now my Ion engines don't seem to be consuming electricity or producing thrust, and they definitely did before (I had a few sats before that were using them).

47 minutes ago, Shogun Gunshow said:

Was there a change to Ion engines in the mod at some point recently? After putting the game down for a few weeks, I put in a new patch for Interstellar and now my Ion engines don't seem to be consuming electricity or producing thrust, and they definitely did before (I had a few sats before that were using them).

Did you hand-remove the patches before? There are a couple of patches (for ions, but also NFT) that change things in unexpected ways. An update (especially via CKAN) re-adds these patches, much to my continual annoyance.

1 hour ago, etmoonshade said:

Did you hand-remove the patches before? There are a couple of patches (for ions, but also NFT) that change things in unexpected ways. An update (especially via CKAN) re-adds these patches, much to my continual annoyance.

I didn't hand remove them, but to double check things, I backed up my folder, deleted KSP and the mods, did a clean install, just installed Interstellar, went into sandbox, whacked together some test articles. 

Probecore with xenon canister, two gigantor solar arrays, Dawn ion drive: nothing. Probecore with nuclear power, thermal electric generator,  dawn drive: nothing.

KSP-x64-2020-09-21-10-50-05-13.png

Just to confirm it wasn't a stock issue, I deleted the folder, reinstalled the game again, went into sandbox in vanilla, and the ion engine worked fine.

2 hours ago, Shogun Gunshow said:

I didn't hand remove them, but to double check things, I backed up my folder, deleted KSP and the mods, did a clean install, just installed Interstellar, went into sandbox, whacked together some test articles. 

Probecore with xenon canister, two gigantor solar arrays, Dawn ion drive: nothing. Probecore with nuclear power, thermal electric generator,  dawn drive: nothing.

KSP-x64-2020-09-21-10-50-05-13.png

Just to confirm it wasn't a stock issue, I deleted the folder, reinstalled the game again, went into sandbox in vanilla, and the ion engine worked fine.

Yeah, WasteHeat being on there tells me that KSPI-E is mucking around with it somehow.

Of course, power in MW in there tells me that KSPI-E is mucking around with it too :D

If you take a look in WarpPlugin\Patches...

oh, that is terrible practice. @FreeThinker - you really need to move this to the patches directory. :wtc:

So. In \WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\IonEngine, you'll find a PATCH.

That patch is what changes the stock ion engine.

Edit: I suspect that the following line from KSPI-E 1.25.22.5 is what prevented this from hitting you up until now:

@PART[ionEngine]:AFTER[RealismOverhaul]

This essentially means "NEEDS[RealismOverhaul]" in MM terms, so it wouldn't apply the patch unless RealismOverhaul was installed.

This changed as of 1.25.23 to:

@PART[ionEngine]:NEEDS[!RealismOverhaul]

Which means that it will apply the patch if RealismOverhaul is NOT installed.

My guess is that when you started playing again, you hit the update button on CKAN.

Edited by etmoonshade

Been continuing to test. So far I've identified a similar problem on the ATTILA thruster.

- The engines begin on the pad with their graphics active, exhuming plume graphics on the launchpad before they've been activated. (Screenshot below where one can see the plume)

Spoiler

screenshot5.png

- If one activates the engine in this state by right clicking and selecting 'Activate Engine', it behaves normally (although for some reason still claims zero thrust?)

Spoiler

screenshot2.png

- If instead one activates the engine through staging, the anomalous plume graphic will terminate, and the engine will produce no thrust despite being labeled active. Trying to toggle it off and on in the right click menu in this state no longer functions - the engine is essentially dead.

Spoiler

screenshot3.png

So it appears as if activating these kinds of engines through staging is doing something wonky. Either they're starting in an anomalous state and that's messing things up when staging tries to flip it, or the staging for the parts themselves are borked. 

Interesting note (maybe?) through testing: while trying to get a better picture of the anomalous plume, I first tried to lift the test article by using a TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancer. However, doing so caused the plume to not display, and the engine begins dead and unable to be activated even through right clicking.

3 minutes ago, Shogun Gunshow said:

Been continuing to test. So far I've identified a similar problem on the ATTILA thruster.

- The engines begin on the pad with their graphics active, exhuming plume graphics on the launchpad before they've been activated. (Screenshot below where one can see the plume)

Hide contents

screenshot5.png

- If one activates the engine in this state by right clicking and selecting 'Activate Engine', it behaves normally (although for some reason still claims zero thrust?)

Hide contents

screenshot2.png

- If instead one activates the engine through staging, the anomalous plume graphic will terminate, and the engine will produce no thrust despite being labeled active. Trying to toggle it off and on in the right click menu in this state no longer functions - the engine is essentially dead.

Hide contents

screenshot3.png

So it appears as if activating these kinds of engines through staging is doing something wonky. Either they're starting in an anomalous state and that's messing things up when staging tries to flip it, or the staging for the parts themselves are borked. 

Interesting note (maybe?) through testing: while trying to get a better picture of the anomalous plume, I first tried to lift the test article by using a TT18-A Launch Stability Enhancer. However, doing so caused the plume to not display, and the engine begins dead and unable to be activated even through right clicking.

Wait, how do you get the power?

The plume thing is weird. If it helps, most graphics problems solve when restarting. Another mod  may be causing it as well

3 minutes ago, AntaresMC said:

Wait, how do you get the power?

The plume thing is weird. If it helps, most graphics problems solve when restarting. Another mod  may be causing it as well

I'm getting power from the Ether, apparently. I don't have Infinite Electricity enabled, so I have no idea what's going on there. I guess it's erroneous to say it's behaving 'normally' even in activated flight.

Unfortunately it's not solved by restarting, and this is a clean install of KSP with just the latest Interstellar release.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:19 PM, Shogun Gunshow said:

I'm getting power from the Ether, apparently. I don't have Infinite Electricity enabled, so I have no idea what's going on there. I guess it's erroneous to say it's behaving 'normally' even in activated flight.

Unfortunately it's not solved by restarting, and this is a clean install of KSP with just the latest Interstellar release.

It was also reported on the Discord server. FreeThinker said its gonna be patched in the next release.

The bug is in last version by the way

Edited by AntaresMC

17 hours ago, blastjack85 said:

I don't know if it has been answered already, but is Interstellar compatible with Realism Overhaul 

no

You can still use the KSP-I with RO, but there will be no single mechanics. Each mod will work according to its own laws.

Edited by OOM

Hello,

i have problems with the Atmospheric Scoop. Somehow i can't get it to work properly, always the same status "Insufficient Storage ...". Some guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I am using KSP 1.8.1, KSPIE (1.25.27) is the only mod.

image.png

I'm still having issues with solar power. I've tried setting up a testbed with only KSPIE installed, and I still get no megajoule or thermal power out of the big solar panels. Am I doing something wrong?
Screenshot-from-2020-09-28-09-43-45.png

Edited by Quixote

On 9/28/2020 at 7:21 PM, Quixote said:

I'm still having issues with solar power. I've tried setting up a testbed with only KSPIE installed, and I still get no megajoule or thermal power out of the big solar panels. Am I doing something wrong?
Screenshot-from-2020-09-28-09-43-45.png

they give electric charge. Use a capacitor to convert units. Or a better panel

On 9/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, Nando said:

Hello,

i have problems with the Atmospheric Scoop. Somehow i can't get it to work properly, always the same status "Insufficient Storage ...". Some guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I am using KSP 1.8.1, KSPIE (1.25.27) is the only mod.

image.png

try changing the resource stored in the intake. It looks like a bug though. What do you have in the tanks?

Hello,

I'm having an issue with the electrodeless lorentz force engine. When I activate it in orbit, it has absolutely abysmal thrust. Like around 0.0000001kn or something like that. There is also no delta-v indication on its icon in the staging area. However, the strange thing is, whenever I remove the radiators and solar panels from my payload, the engine works fine with the normal level of thrust. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

12 hours ago, kre8iv_username said:

Hello,

I'm having an issue with the electrodeless lorentz force engine. When I activate it in orbit, it has absolutely abysmal thrust. Like around 0.0000001kn or something like that. There is also no delta-v indication on its icon in the staging area. However, the strange thing is, whenever I remove the radiators and solar panels from my payload, the engine works fine with the normal level of thrust. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Could you provide more information, like a picture of your vessel with power manager and context menu? also usefull information would be if yo are playig, campaign, science mode of sandbox

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Could you provide more information, like a picture of your vessel with power manager and context menu? also usefull information would be if yo are playig, campaign, science mode of sandbox

Hello, Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to add an image of the vessel or maybe I'm being dumb. I'll copy out what the engine menu says:

Fuel flow: 0.00000U
Prop Requirement Met: 100.00%
Thrust: 0.000000kn (Before, it was 0.000001 but now 0)
Engine Isp: 11213.0
Type: Electrodeless Lorentz Force Thruster
Propellant Name: Liquid Hydrogen
Power Share: 100.00%
Maximum Power Request: 0.000MW
Current Power Request: 0.000MW
Propellant Efficiency: 94.38%
Overheat Efficiency: 100.00%
Heat Production: 0.000MW
Max Effective Power:  283.145MW
Atm Thrust Efficiency: 0.000%
Current Thrust in space: 0.000000%
Max Thrust in space: 0.000000%

There are two gigantor panels and a small deployable radiator on the vessel. I'm playing in 1.9.1, science mode on Galileo's Planet Pack. 

Edited by kre8iv_username
typo