KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

2 minutes ago, Snoman314 said:

I have one intake, one pre-cooler per engine. Missing Precooler Ratio is zero. See screenshot just after hitting the atmosphere. Pre-coolers blows up a minute or so later.

o0aSgxD.png

I have also tried with the engine attached directly to the back of the Pre-cooler. 

Alright so you are saying the pre heaters overheat hen reentering the atmosphere?

21 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright so you are saying the pre heaters overheat hen reentering the atmosphere?

Also if I fly too fast when lower in the atmosphere, on the way up. They're just getting, like, 10x more atmospheric heating.

7 hours ago, Snoman314 said:

My problem is that my precoolers are all overheating at high speed and exploding during re-entry.

I didn't think to look for exceptions, as nothing suggested to me it was crashing or anything. It just steadily heats up and then explodes. I looked in KSP.log and did find this in there:

[LOG 12:01:04.346] radialEngineBody Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5

But everything else was just log entries at a low rate.

OK, I'll give that a try. I did see that solution posted when I was googling this last night, but it looked like that module affected the engine heating, not the pre-cooler. When the power comes back on (don't ask), I'll try that and report back.

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Notice in the  context menu it mentiones. Maximum Theoretical Power. This is a hint that certain condition needs to be met. In his case, its a matter of unlocked tech nodes.  Both the Dusty Plasma Reactor and Charged Particle Generator have upgrades which are unlocked only after researching tech.  Now since this upgrades can Theoreticly happen between flights it warns you in advance what might be it maximum power and therefore wasteheat. This information can be viewed in the Reactor partinfo screen.

Right, I know both of them can be improved through the upgrades in the tech tree. Currently, the dusty plasma is at mk 4 outputting 6 GW and the generator is at mk 2 at 85% efficiency, meaning with this exact setup the maximum value is 6 * 0.85 = 5.1 GW.  If they were both at their full potential, the reactor would output 9 GW and the converter would process at 95%, resulting in 8.55 GW. I don't think that's the problem.

I guess the root question here is why the engine is only requesting a third of its maximum draw according to the VAB?

unknown.png unknown.png

(The new UI changes look good though!)

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, you could do the following to fix the over problem : open the file rapier.cfg and remove the partmodule ModuleSabreHeating from radialEngineBody

OK, first result: Removing the ModuleSabreHeating module from radialEngineBody did nothing. Not surprising seeing as I'm having the same problem with the engine nacelle, and that doesn't have the ModuleSabreHeating module in it.

Second, I removed the FNModulePreecooler module from the same part, and that also did nothing.

From there, I searched for every instance of radialEngineBody in my Gamedata folder. There are only two mods patching it: Tweakscale and WarpPlugin. So I'm pretty confident that it's this mod that's causing the problem.

Next up I'm deleting _all_ modules from rapier.cfg and running another test. But I'm starting to suspect the fault lies with these lines:

@heatConvectiveConstant = 50
    @thermalMassModifier = 5
    @maxTemp = 2900    

Do you know what they mean?

(To clarify, I'm building a new craft with fresh instances of the part, to make sure the craft file isn't saving the old modules).

Edit1: Oh I spoke to soon! I deleted all the modules in rapier.cfg like I said, and the problem is gone. Gimme a minute to work narrow down exactly which one.

Edited by Snoman314

Ok, it's this section:

MODULE
    {
        name = FlatFNRadiator
        isDeployable = false
        convectiveBonus = 50
        radiatorArea = 2
        partMass = 0.15            
    }

When I delete that, the problem goes away. Is it possible these variables are set wrong?

In the meantime I'm just going to leave that module out.

Edited by Snoman314

So based on launchpad testing I found that the magnetized target fusion reactor would be able to idle at low power for something on the order of years to power a science lab in orbit around duna & provide thrust to a thermal nozzle. I designed a long-haul ship that would live in orbit around kerbin and fly my kerbals to different planets to get science and chuck it into a lab.

It looks like resource consumption with timewarp active is bugged? After about 300 days of timewarp -> transmit science -> timewarp the reactor informed me it ran out of fuel, stranding my kerbals around Duna. Upon further investigation while timewarping the reactor's status would occasionally spike to Active - 100% despite being stable at <1% without time warp on. I can only conclude this is the result of timewarp bugging the resource consumption.

Are there any steps to mitigate this? I can't just shut the reactor down as it exists to power the ship (i.e. science lab) through timewarps. Plus if I go to Jool the amount of solar energy I'd have to bring would be annoying considering I have a nuclear reactor on board.

7 hours ago, jadeNebula said:

I guess the root question here is why the engine is only requesting a third of its maximum draw according to the VAB?

That is because the ELF has a maximum consumption which depend on maximum power capacity and wasteheat level.  To compendate, scale up the engine size or number of engines or increase amount of radiators.

Edited by FreeThinker

Hello everyone!

I am having issues with my mining drills. I can't seem to get any of them to work. I switched the tanks to all resources and tried different planets and moons but It just won't extract anything. Sadly I cannot see what the message on the drill interface itself is. It just says "Reason Not Extracting:                     "

In the console I get some weird stuff, pic is attached. When I switch the resources on the tank the ID of the Console resource changes, but it keeps saying it won't find the same corresponding part Holding Tank ID SimulationResource.

Pic of console: https://ibb.co/sy4nVXY

Mod List: https://ibb.co/KLJfL45

Thanks for your help. Oh btw great mod and thanks for keeping it alive. I played Interstellar back in 2013-2014ish and it was by far my most enjoyable experience in KSP :)

EDIT: Turns out I should've sobbered up before playing KSPIE. Got it running with the Universal drill, but I still see those messages in the console. Do I have to worry about that?

Edited by ntony

I'm building a standard Ye Old Deathstar xray delivery network around the smaller of the binary pair stars in Beyond Home. Initially the panels weren't getting MW power but updating KSPIE fixed that. After establishing orbit around the star, stabilizing the thermal balance, and transmitting power to Rhode (~Kerbin), I'm able to receive the beam but it's flickering rapidly in the interface. For a frame or two my receiver has the transmitter listed with the power rating correct and everything appearing to function as intended, in the next frame the transmitter is not listed and the power stops. This repeats indefinitely. The orbits are stable and LOS is uninterrupted.

16 hours ago, Dal said:

I'm building a standard Ye Old Deathstar xray delivery network around the smaller of the binary pair stars in Beyond Home. Initially the panels weren't getting MW power but updating KSPIE fixed that. After establishing orbit around the star, stabilizing the thermal balance, and transmitting power to Rhode (~Kerbin), I'm able to receive the beam but it's flickering rapidly in the interface. For a frame or two my receiver has the transmitter listed with the power rating correct and everything appearing to function as intended, in the next frame the transmitter is not listed and the power stops. This repeats indefinitely. The orbits are stable and LOS is uninterrupted.

We should try to figure out when this twitching behaviour starts. does it happen when in orbit, when traveling between start or when in orbit around another star?

Edited by FreeThinker

On 11/27/2020 at 11:02 PM, Snoman314 said:

I have one intake, one pre-cooler per engine. Missing Precooler Ratio is zero. See screenshot just after hitting the atmosphere. Pre-coolers blows up a minute or so later.

o0aSgxD.png

I have also tried with the engine attached directly to the back of the Pre-cooler. 

Precoolers also work like radiators, and facing intake first at huge speeds and crazy small densities, its normal for it to be working in excess, and maybe doesnt realize its cooling nothing. In a nutshell: it looks like its a bug, test without precoolers to see if it survives, and if it does, ignoreMaxTemp

18 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

We should try to figure out when this twitching behaviour starts. does it happen when in orbit, when traveling between start or when in orbit around another star?

The issue is persistent in any state (landed, flying, orbiting, etc). The transmitting vessel displays everything normally, any receiving vessels get flickering reception.

When watching the computer core on my test craft, it appears to charge and discharge irregularly, but on a separate periodic pattern (a few seconds on, a few seconds off). This pattern is also present in the test craft's power transmitter reported output.

Edited by Dal

18 hours ago, AntaresMC said:

Precoolers also work like radiators, and facing intake first at huge speeds and crazy small densities, its normal for it to be working in excess, and maybe doesnt realize its cooling nothing. In a nutshell: it looks like its a bug, test without precoolers to see if it survives, and if it does, ignoreMaxTemp

It doesn't survive without pre-coolers, because the engines explode during ascent without them. I've removed the FlatFNRadiator module, and I'm happy with things for now.

I agree that it seems to be a bug, but I don't think it's that the radiator is working overtime pulling heat from other components with minimal atmosphere to convect into, if I understand what you're saying correctly. It seems more like that this one component is being heated directly by the air at high speed, at a much much higher rate than any of the others.

Edit: I should add: I say this because if I point exactly surface prograde, the shock cone intake in front of the pre-cooler reduces the heating significantly, and if I let the craft tumble, when the pre-cooler goes behind the main body of the craft it cools rapidly. So seems like straight up re-entry heating.

15 hours ago, Snoman314 said:

It doesn't survive without pre-coolers, because the engines explode during ascent without them. I've removed the FlatFNRadiator module, and I'm happy with things for now.

I agree that it seems to be a bug, but I don't think it's that the radiator is working overtime pulling heat from other components with minimal atmosphere to convect into, if I understand what you're saying correctly. It seems more like that this one component is being heated directly by the air at high speed, at a much much higher rate than any of the others.

Edit: I should add: I say this because if I point exactly surface prograde, the shock cone intake in front of the pre-cooler reduces the heating significantly, and if I let the craft tumble, when the pre-cooler goes behind the main body of the craft it cools rapidly. So seems like straight up re-entry heating.

You can try and cover it in skin radiators, the trick works with supersonic heating, I havent tried re entry.  What I meant is that you test if it survives re entry in particular and activate IgnoreMaxTemp.

It heats up too much its weird... Maybe if you tweak its thermal mass in the confing...

Waste heat seems to dissipate at a constant rate that isn't affected by time warp. I've got a craft with a reactor for power and an open core engine; waste heat accumulates during a burn and then begins to dissipate via radiators while the engine is idle. My core temperature and waste heat doesn't dissipate any faster (in real time) when I increase time warp - the displayed rate of waste heat decrease does scale with time warp but so does the waste heat pool for my vessel so the proportional change is the same. I understand that waste heat is a little wonky because of the underlying stock heat system, but does this mean I need to twiddle my thumbs with my vessel loaded at 1x time warp to let my radiators work every time I burn?

@FreeThinker I tried looking back through the forum to see if anyone else had the issue I've ran into with KSPI and two other mods.  SpaceX Launch Vehicles and CST-100 Starliner.  I'm not sure when the issue started,  but when I attached the Trunk (SpaceX) or Service Module (Starliner) to any Pod in the VAB it's fine.  (Note:  Both parts have a decoupler built-in) However, when I launch to the pad, it's like the Trunk or Service Module has decoupled and turns into debris.  The Pod either falls through the parts or rests on top.  Please see link below for a demonstration.  Hope it's an easy fix.  

https://youtu.be/9AcgF8wF2Pg