Jump to content

KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread


Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Yes, I advised him strongly against  mixing up the tech-nodes but he did it anyway.

Edit: could you provide an MM script so I can include it in the ETT patch?

I would if I knew how MM patches work(I could probably learn quick enough, they don't look complicated), but I've been testing it more and it seems with my one powerstat using the gas core reactor it is still stuck at 30% eff, but using my second design with a dusty plasma the changes I did seems to have made both the thermal gen and the charged particle work at the second tech level.  I still only vaguely understand how KSPI-E decides if something has received it's upgrade or not.  

I'm helping the maker of ETT(in the thread) with placement of things in his tree, not just KSPI-E stuff.   I think he doesn't know about the upgrades that happen in KSPI-E.  Maybe you can explain him the process so that the patches he makes can be better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2017 at 3:21 AM, FreeThinker said:

Every beam wavelength has it advantage/disadvantage but in general you should use the wavelength that fits the distance. Also note that beam efficiency becomes better with more advanced technologies unlocked

I think some thing is wrong for me then because extreme ultraviolet has an efficiency of 20% is adsorbed by atmosphere 100% (cant get threw at all) and from my test has shorter range in open space then a 2x tweak-scaled Microwave  setup.

Ps 

It be nice if every transmitter said recommended distance trying to figure out relay is just guess work right now 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lordmaddog said:

I think some thing is wrong for me then because extreme ultraviolet has an efficiency of 20% is adsorbed by atmosphere 100% (cant get threw at all) and from my test has shorter range in open space then a 2x tweak-scaled Microwave  setup.

Ps 

It be nice if every transmitter said recommended distance trying to figure out relay is just guess work right now 

Yup, lots of item descriptions seem to lack information regarding things like that, but I've found that to be the case with a fair number of mods.

Edited by Noel32
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lordmaddog said:

I think some thing is wrong for me then because extreme ultraviolet has an efficiency of 20% is adsorbed by atmosphere 100% (cant get threw at all) and from my test has shorter range in open space then a 2x tweak-scaled Microwave  setup. 

Be very glad ultraviolet light is mostly absorbed by our atmosphere, because if it didn't we would all get burned and blind very fast.

Not all wavelength are created equally, some are just more suitable for penetrating the atmosphere then then others

In general KSPI-E beamed power absorption follows the following graph

E4p29yy.jpg

Notice the atmospheric window, it is the best way to penetrate the atmosphere with relatively short wavelengths.

Note that some wavelength absorbed by water, which is variable, and effected by climate. The dryer and higher, the better...

Ultraviolet wavelengths should only be use outside thick atmospheres

 

Edited by FreeThinker
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Be glad ultraviolet light is mostly absorbed by our atmosphere, because if it didn't we would all get burned and blind very fast.

Not all wavelength are created equally, some are just more suitable for penetrating the atmosphere then then others

In general KSPI-E beamed power absorption follows the following graph

E4p29yy.jpg

Notice the atmospheric window, it is the best way to penetrate the atmosphere with relatively short wavelengths.

Note that some wavelength absorbed by water, which is variable, and effected by climate. The dryer and higher, the better...

 

I understand that My problem is its master tec and has crap range on top of no atmos penetration and crap efficiency at master tec it should shine across the solar system and have 100% or at-least 75-90% efficiency.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lordmaddog said:

I understand that My problem is its master tec and has crap range on top of no atmos penetration and crap efficiency at master tec it should shine across the solar system and have 100% or at-least 75-90% efficiency.

I haven't used it yet but the use case for Extreme UV would be getting small spot size out to Jool and beyond, so that you can actually receive power.  With the large dish doing the relay you should receive overall far more power then other solutions, even after the 20% efficiency.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lordmaddog said:

I have a bug: the ISRU Refinery turns it self off none stop when mining even if I have massive amount of energy available.

By massive amount of energy do you mean megajoule or electric charge?

Edited by FreeThinker
Link to post
Share on other sites

both I have 2 reactors running and a scaled battery pack that holds over 2mill EC and a massive capacitor. 

I don't know why it stops only thing I can guess is the physics make it randomly pop off the ground or some thing.  And no matter what I do it don't stay on when I switch to other vessels.

Also it be nice to be able to scale it because currently I have like 12 of them in a row and its lagy as heck. 

On a side note scaled Molten salt reactors cant be manually restarted because the model is to big for the kerbal to get close enough to restart it. (do you know of a mode that increases kerbal interact range?)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there! I have plans to make some guide for my subscribers on KSPI Extended, but seems like I can't figure out how that whole microwave thing is working now. I have "power station" placed in orbit of Kerbin with nuclear reactor, generator, gyrotron and phased array set to transmit power. It seems like transmitting something, at least I see the "Wall to beam power" value:

transmitter.png

 

Also, further on same orbit I have receiver pointed in the direction of this thing:

receiver.png

Am I missing some part but receiver here? Why doesn't it receive anything? Something like it worked in older KSPI before.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I've just started unlocking the Interstellar techs and I'm puzzled by the science laboratory.  Huge data capacity--but it only holds 1000 science which means I have to transmit frequently.  Is there any reason it is so limited given it's position in the tree?

Actualy its ScienceLab has a data storage of 10000. Only it science converter has a science cap of 1000. You think this is too small, it is the same as stock ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Actualy its ScienceLab has a data storage of 10000. Only it science converter has a science cap of 1000. You think this is too small, it is the same as stock ...

I don't understand why there is even a limit on the science.  What does a bigger capacity gain but needing to transmit less frequently?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I don't understand why there is even a limit on the science.  What does a bigger capacity gain but needing to transmit less frequently?

Not sure, but there might be a balance issue here. Is it currently a problem for you? How high do you think it should be?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Not sure, but there might be a balance issue here. Is it currently a problem for you? How high do you think it should be?

The problem, as someone who was in a similar situation more than one times, is that with more than a filled lab in the system, you need to switch to those labs every few days. Not a big issue per se, but annoying while you're trying to have other mission in the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

The problem, as someone who was in a similar situation more than one times, is that with more than a filled lab in the system, you need to switch to those labs every few days. Not a big issue per se, but annoying while you're trying to have other mission in the same time.

 
 

So it would purely a convenience if it was bigger, right?

Edited by FreeThinker
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/01/2017 at 5:54 PM, Nansuchao said:

Exactly 

Just had a thought here--power.  If you had a [huge] science capacity what happens when you hit the transmit button?  Does it need extra power rather than simply relying on the batteries used for the dark time?

Edited by Deddly
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/01/2017 at 6:34 PM, Loren Pechtel said:

Just had a thought here--power.  If you had a [huge] science capacity what happens when you hit the transmit button?  Does it need extra power rather than simply relying on the batteries used for the dark time?

The power needed change depending on your antenna, it's not related to the amount of data you're transmitting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Not sure, but there might be a balance issue here. Is it currently a problem for you? How high do you think it should be?

Actually I think there is. They seem way over powered and I had to stop using them. Otherewise  I could have mastered my entire tec tree by the time I made my first landing on another planet.

It extremely easy  to fill them up. I just make a ship that has all the science aps on it and can fly to minmus then land on it. By the time it touches down its full. And I can keep doing that if I have the kerbals. Using this method you can max the tec tree with out ever leaving kerbins orbit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...