KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

33 minutes ago, danielboro said:

is ther any thing i can do to restore the solid core (in game)
1% of acthinids drops the trust by ~30%
what is the affect curve of the acthinids on trust (thermal power?)

I think you can use one of the IRSU functions to reprocess nuclear fuel?

Science lab also has it once you upgrade it.

Oh, and as I said, just turn off all the generators on your solid cores and they won't build up any waste during timewarp since they will be at 0% idle.

Trying some more tests, 7.5m reactor MFC mk2 and 5m plasma nozzle (without upgrade) with methane fuel

MJ KN of thrust
1 20
2 55
3 120
4 220
5 330
6 470
7 650
8 845
9 1100
10 1300
11 1600
12 1800

Seems very log, and seems like the bigger your reactor the less thrust you get per MJ at lower powers. This also means fusion maintenance power is kinda critical, you don't want it be drawing it off your reactor since that last GW nets you a fair amount more thrust. PS top thrust with liquid fuel was 970KN.

Also just tested a thermal launch nozzle on the same reactor: 2100KN of thrust at 2280ISP from methane (Vs the 2800 ISP of the plasma nozzle)

2500KN from liquidfuel+oxidiser at 1200ISP. Hell I can get 2300KN and 14000ISP from water with this reactor :)

Thermal launch nozzle the same thrust/power curve too oddly. I wonder if maybe thats why its so crazy powerful with thermal receivers, since they have a 'max power' but that is not actually used?

So it looks like the thermal launch nozzle is still very competitive with the (unupgraded) plasma nozzle. lower ISP and higher thrust but can use oxidiser and the oxy-fuels are an attractive mode.

Edited by BlackMoons

Hi, I have one small problem...
I can't figure out how to make Liquid Hydrogen. I have googled som things so I know it has something to do with electrolizing liguid water, but when I open rafinery window it's nothing there, completely empty. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't find any other way of doing it.
Can somebody help me, please? 

30 minutes ago, ElFilipoSk said:

Hi, I have one small problem...
I can't figure out how to make Liquid Hydrogen. I have googled som things so I know it has something to do with electrolizing liguid water, but when I open rafinery window it's nothing there, completely empty. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I can't find any other way of doing it.
Can somebody help me, please? 

Post a screenshot? Also make sure KSPi was installed last since other mods may overwrite the resources it needs in community resource pack.

Also its found in the IRSU electrolyiser recipe IIRC. and then you need a cryotank or IRSU refrigerator to turn it from hydrogen to liquid hydrogen.

Edited by BlackMoons

7 hours ago, BlackMoons said:

Also make sure KSPi was installed last since other mods may overwrite the resources it needs in community resource pack.

Not the way CRP works. Every mod that uses CRP installs the exact same CRP folder that contains all the resource definitions (the resource definitions won't do anything by themselves, they need a mod that uses them for them to even show up in game).

12 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Not the way CRP works. Every mod that uses CRP installs the exact same CRP folder that contains all the resource definitions (the resource definitions won't do anything by themselves, they need a mod that uses them for them to even show up in game).

Welp then explain to me why when I install TAC life support (that includes CRP), KSPi reactors show a blank page till I reinstall KSPi's CRP folder over TAC life support, and one of KSPi's CRP's files is MUCH bigger then TAC life supports and contains all new resources KSPi uses. Also after installing TAC life support's CRP folder, I get a huge list of missing resources in KSP.log

I'll save you the post: Either TAC life support uses an old version, or KSPi uses an edited version.

Edited by BlackMoons

10 hours ago, BlackMoons said:

Welp then explain to me why when I install TAC life support (that includes CRP), KSPi reactors show a blank page till I reinstall KSPi's CRP folder over TAC life support, and one of KSPi's CRP's files is MUCH bigger then TAC life supports and contains all new resources KSPi uses. Also after installing TAC life support's CRP folder, I get a huge list of missing resources in KSP.log

I'll save you the post: Either TAC life support uses an old version, or KSPi uses an edited version.

I'm not wanting to start a fight about this but I just downloaded the latest version of each mod (TAC from the github source) and  the commonresource.cfg file (which holds all resource definitions) within both mods was exactly identical (49255 bytes). In fact, every file within both was exactly the same with the exception being that TAC's version included the license.txt file and KSPIE's didn't (but that changes nothing in regards to resources).

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

4 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

I'm not wanting to start a fight about this but I just downloaded the latest version of each mod (TAC from the github source) and  the commonresource.cfg file (which holds all resource definitions) within both mods was exactly identical (49255 bytes). In fact, every file within both was exactly the same with the exception being that TAC's version included the license.txt file and KSPIE's didn't (but that changes nothing in regards to resources).

I reported it to TAC earlier. It used to be 42,219 bytes as of TAC 13.3.0 and it looks like hes patched his TAC 13.4.0 release since I downloaded it.

1 hour ago, ArmchairPhysicist said:

Are there any plans to incorporate antimatter rockets into KSPI? We have Thermal rockets, fusion rockets and antimatter power, but no annihilation rockets.

Pretty sure antimatter reactor+Magnetic nozzle is exactly that?

After all, the pure antimatter-matter reactor only can output 5% power to electric generators so the only thing its really good for is thrust. (Well, Its still got an amazing power to weight ratio for electric generation at 5% of 360MW or whatever it is, but 5% kinda pales in comparison to its full output)

Edited by BlackMoons

Can't get over 5% active power using "Plasma Beam Core Antimatter reactor" and "Plasma Nozzle". I thought the 5% limit was only for generators and nozzles could use 100%?

Or does that only apply to magnetic nozzle? The main reason I am confused is the description for the beam core talks about it being a 'beam or plasma core depending on nozzle used' (paraphrasing) so I assumed you could use the plasma nozzle to good effect. 4600 ISP is pretty nice but I was kinda expecting more like, 1600KN thrust.

ElsOtlO.jpg

Oddly enough, tried magnetic nozzle and it used 100%, though less thrust at 680KN... but an ISP of 200,000 LOL, and ISP higher at lower throttle (But still uses 100% power from the reactor at all throttle settings, you can reduce the reactor power manually however but that reduces max thrust and still get 200,000 ISP at full throttle)

Interesting. Its OP but in an entirely different way then I thought it would be. Also the timewarp feature is very cool on the magnetic nozzle. I like the 'trade thrust for ISP' option.

... OMG.. I just tried thermal launch nozzle on the fully upgraded 2.5m antimatter plasma beam core in my sandbox game.. 5% output as expected... but im getting 8000KN of thrust at 1200ISP with fuel/oxy. And 3400KN at 2042ISP on fuel. Now that is what im talking about! Also 9000KN on atmospheric with a thermal turbojet lol.. I can see why you limited it to 5% for these nozzles. Still would be interesting to have more thrust from the plasma nozzle.

Edited by BlackMoons

1 hour ago, BlackMoons said:

Can't get over 5% active power using "Plasma Beam Core Antimatter reactor" and "Plasma Nozzle". I thought the 5% limit was only for generators and nozzles could use 100%?

Or does that only apply to magnetic nozzle?

ElsOtlO.jpg

Only magnetic nozzle. Antimatter annihilation give you pions and radiatio that decays so quickly that can only be directed out of reactor by magnetic nozzle. Theoretically you may not need to feed propellant to magnetic nozzle other than the reactor fuel itself.

Read here at pure antimatter rocket':

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter_rocket

Plasma is ionized nucleis, propellant don't go inside reactor but is only heated by reactor heat via heat exchanger (thermal) or electric field (induced plasma), so you need propellant to the plasma nozzle. The heat ionize the propellant atoms to make plasma. 

@FreeThinker, why you need to feed hydrogen to magnetic nozzle coupled to antimatter reactor? Shouldn't it use reactor fuel instead?

Edited by Ciro1983811

51 minutes ago, Ciro1983811 said:

@FreeThinker, why you need to feed hydrogen to magnetic nozzle coupled to antimatter reactor? Shouldn't it use reactor fuel instead?

You are technically correct it should be able to run on the positive charged particles emitted by the antimatter reactor but I have not gotten around to implement it properly. I do implement it the right way this season

1 hour ago, BlackMoons said:

The Plasma is technically still a thermal nozzle, with the difference of allowing higher temperatures than 20000K (> 3000s) The Plasma nozzle is mend as an intermediate between Thermal Nozzle and Full Magnetic Nozzle, similarly the MHD will be the intermediate between the thermal nozzle and full charged particle direct converter , but only with Reactor core that run at high temperatures than 20000K as the reactor gas need to be turned fully into a plasma.

Edited by FreeThinker

5 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

You are technically correct it should be able to run on the positive charged particles emitted by the antimatter reactor but I have not gotten around to implement it properly. I do implement it the right way this season

Maybe you may made it run on hydrogen plus antihydrogen, at the same ratio it should consume inside reactor. And include a check in the reactor or nozzle code that if there is a beam core coupled with magnetic nozzle, reactor should run with zero consumption rate, and the nozzle should match the reactor consumption of both H and antiH

24 minutes ago, Ciro1983811 said:

Maybe you may made it run on hydrogen plus antihydrogen, at the same ratio it should consume inside reactor. And include a check in the reactor or nozzle code that if there is a beam core coupled with magnetic nozzle, reactor should run with zero consumption rate, and the nozzle should match the reactor consumption of both H and antiH

I'm planing to make to make it more generic. I want to introduce a new resource with mass which is created whenever charged particles are consumed by the engine. Alternatively I replace ChargedParticle by another resourse (ChargedPower) and reuse the Charged Particles for propulsion.  Either way, it should with any reactor, including antimatter, fission fragment and fusion.

Funny how your the second one today mentioning this issue while before no one mentioned it.

Edited by FreeThinker

12 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Funny how your the second one today mentioning this issue while before no one mentioned it.

I must have missed the first one... anyway I think that.s because we are all reading and learning a lot just to understand all the tech stuff in Kspi-e hehehe

Welp, I stumbled upon a literally game-breaking (or rather game crashing) bug. After finally finishing building my Daedalus-based generation ship, turns out I can't really take it anywhere, as the game crashes once it reaches a certain speed (about 0.000467c as said by the engine, if that's important, looks pretty random to me). And it seems to take some absolute value of speed - it crashed in orbit of Kerbin once I reached that speed - tried timewarping to the Sun's orbit, still crash after accelerating to that speed.

I'm on 1.2.2 version, using 1.14.15 backport. Gonna try the 1.15 alpha now to see if that fixes anything.

Edit: No luck with 1.15, still crashing. Also please say that Kerbstein is only temporarily removed from there, I just got used to that thing :D

Edit 2 (fixed, kind of): Decided to pull up a console to maybe see what's going on during the crash. That was the dying message that it spits out the moment the game crashes:
CheckEncounter: failed to find any intercepts at all
Does that ring any bells? Turns out the game REALLY didn't like some planet from KSS mod, and any encounter trajectory would insta-crash the game. Launching my ship a few months later to avoid that encounter fixed the problem :)

Edited by Axeon

1 hour ago, Axeon said:

Welp, I stumbled upon a literally game-breaking (or rather game crashing) bug. After finally finishing building my Daedalus-based generation ship, turns out I can't really take it anywhere, as the game crashes once it reaches a certain speed (about 0.000467c as said by the engine, if that's important, looks pretty random to me). And it seems to take some absolute value of speed - it crashed in orbit of Kerbin once I reached that speed - tried timewarping to the Sun's orbit, still crash after accelerating to that speed.

I'm on 1.2.2 version, using 1.14.15 backport. Gonna try the 1.15 alpha now to see if that fixes anything.

Edit: No luck with 1.15, still crashing. Also please say that Kerbstein is only temporarily removed from there, I just got used to that thing :D

Just a data point on this:  Not using KSPI I have had a "ship" boosted to relativistic speed by the kraken drive and it didn't bring the game down.  Thus it's not the game itself.

MFC Spherical tokamak reactor in cold deut-deut fusion mode does not produce more helium 3 per (real time) second when timewarp is active. Indeed 'helium production' goes down when timewarp is active. At first I reported this as the production values displayed where incorrect but now I believe its actually reporting correctly but the amount produced is actually decreasing at timewarp.

PS: still using the main 1.14.15 release.

Another minor bug: Antimatter collectors are $10 each.

Edited by BlackMoons

In the patches folder, there is a config file NFTEnginesFix.cfg that gives - from what i can tell - megajoule 'fuel' dependency to the NFT propulsion engines. I want to keep the fuel requirements for those engines as intended by the developers. Removing that config file doesn't have any effect. If I were to include the NFTpropulsion module, electric engines including the Dawn ion engine get a megajoule requirement. Am I reading this right? I have asked the NFT developers long time ago as to why the dawn engine all of a sudden gets a megajoule requirement and I was told that this done by KSPI... 

ps: Still on the 1.2.2 with 1.14 backport

Edited by pp3d
additional info

1 hour ago, pp3d said:

In the patches folder, there is a config file NFTEnginesFix.cfg that gives - from what i can tell - megajoule 'fuel' dependency to the NFT propulsion engines. I want to keep the fuel requirements for those engines as intended by the developers. Removing that config file doesn't have any effect. If I were to include the NFTpropulsion module, electric engines including the Dawn ion engine get a megajoule requirement. Am I reading this right? I have asked the NFT developers long time ago as to why the dawn engine all of a sudden gets a megajoule requirement and I was told that this done by KSPI... 

ps: Still on the 1.2.2 with 1.14 backport

I think the megajoule system is superior then using raw EC. Especially when you consider how much energy these engines really should be using, or your using remotetech/TAC or other mods where 0EC results in bad things.

2 minutes ago, BlackMoons said:

I think the megajoule system is superior then using raw EC. Especially when you consider how much energy these engines really should be using, or your using remotetech/TAC or other mods where 0EC results in bad things.

I understand it makes sense in terms of balancing the game when both KSPI and NFT are used and I agree it provides consistency. Still it would make also sense that users can exercise some control especially if mods are added to existing games. The impact in my case was the stock dawn engine on ships on missions that all of a sudden they need megajoules to operate. 

I am having an issue using the Planetary Base Systems mod with KSPI.  I made a fairly complete base and then tried to add a Molten Salt Reactor and Thermoelectric Generator to it. Before docking to the base, the reactor showed a power output that was adjustable and the generator was producing electric power as well.  Immediately after docking with the base the reactor apparently shut off, showing 0 MW output.  The electric generator also went to zero.   Anyone else encounter this issue before?