KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

Hi,

still an error from ModuleManager :

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: WarpPlugin/Patches/RealFuelsFix/@TANK_DEFINITION[ServiceModule,Fuselage,Jet,Xenon]:FOR[WarpPlugin]:Final

1 error related to GameData/WarpPlugin/Patches/RealFuelsFix.cfg

Regards

Version 1.16.6 for Kerbal Space Program 1.3.1 can be downloaded from here

Released on 2017-12-30

• Added Heliosphere Simulation, solar wind now stops at Helio Pause creating a Hydrogen Wall and wave into interstellar medium
  • Added Exosphere Simulation making it possible to scoop up resources to the edge of the magnetosphere
  • Added acceleration effects suppression to Bussard ramjet and Fusion engines
  • Added Improved Relay info in Beamed Power Receiver Window
  • Added new slider named Collection which allows reduce power cost at the cost of increased drag
  • Added wasteheat production for Magnetic scoop
  • Added improved power management stability
  • Added Ionization slider to Magnetic scoop, allowing fine control of drag due to ionization
  • Balance increase Magnetic scoop magnet power cost
  • Balance ionization is now only effective in the direction of orbital path
  • Balancing Large Increase of Drag Bussard Ramjet Magnetic scoop
  • Balancing Increased Isp, Trust and Power consumption Daedalus by a factor of 4
  • Balancing Increased Trust and Power consumption Bussard Fusion Engine by factor 4
  • Balance: Increased Maximum light speed limitation at higher altitudes above a gravity well
  • Balance: Increased overall Drag Bussard Ramjet Magnetic scoop
  • Fixed Lightbulb, Gascore and Timberwind thrust output in NF
  • Fixed Ionosphere Drag
  • Fixed Exception with Static Radiators at startup
  • Fixed Module Manager 1.3.1 Error messages in combination with Bug Mk2 Expansion
  • Fixed Resource consumption Thermal Anti Matter Reactor
  • Fixed scooping resources with magnetic scoop above 1000 KM
  • Fixed Timberwind and Nuclear Lightbulb missing reactor
  • Fixed power scaling Lightbulb / Timberwind in NF mode
  • Fixed power requirement Bussard Ramjet in NF mode
  • Fixed offline resource collection at interstellar space with Bussard Magnetic Scoop
  • Fixed some Chinese translations
Edited by FreeThinker

I've been trying to learn this mod but all the tutorials just showcase the parts and don't use them in any practical sense. If someone knows a good series that will help me understand please recommend! However, I'm trying to see the point of this engine.. The closed cycle engine.

2QyDQ1H.jpg

Yes I made sure to use the correct fuel and even tried putting radiators, enough for 90% of the heat generated. However in the next picture I show a simple poodle engine with WAY more Delta-V and WAY less cost and mass. What the heck am I doing wrong? And If I'm not doing anything wrong, then what's the point of any of these engines if Stock does it better? I've tried putting on a molten salt reactor to increase ISP but it only added so much more weight that it was useless..

R29Obqd.jpg

4 hours ago, Xithyl515 said:

I've been trying to learn this mod but all the tutorials just showcase the parts and don't use them in any practical sense. If someone knows a good series that will help me understand please recommend! However, I'm trying to see the point of this engine.. The closed cycle engine.

2QyDQ1H.jpg

Yes I made sure to use the correct fuel and even tried putting radiators, enough for 90% of the heat generated. However in the next picture I show a simple poodle engine with WAY more Delta-V and WAY less cost and mass. What the heck am I doing wrong? And If I'm not doing anything wrong, then what's the point of any of these engines if Stock does it better? I've tried putting on a molten salt reactor to increase ISP but it only added so much more weight that it was useless..

R29Obqd.jpg

Liquid hydrogen has less then a tenth the density of kerosene (or whatever liquid fuel is modelled after). You need a tank with over ten times the volume to get to the same mass of LH2 and the mass is what matters. Use a different fuel instead, like liquid fuel, then the lightbulb is better then a tweakscaled nerv. I think LH2 only really works for space built/assembled craft. 

9 hours ago, Xithyl515 said:

2QyDQ1H.jpg

R29Obqd.jpg

nuks are not for small ahips

the poodel has 16 T of fule of 19T ship that gives you 5.5K dv
the nuke has 1T of fule of 20T ship that givs you 1.8 dv
if you will add 15T more fule to the nuke it will be way better then the poodel

17 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

If you are using reactors for propulsion only you don't need much of fuel - reduce it to minimum amounts for nuclear reactors.

um... you still need ejection mass or you aren't going anywhere...

18 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

um... you still need ejection mass or you aren't going anywhere...

You can't use uranium or other fission related materials as propellant :P

I clearly said adjusting reactor content - fission reactor fuels are large fraction of reactor mass unlike for fusion reactors.

Edited by raxo2222

18 minutes ago, mrgreco said:

bin awhile since ive bin on got new pc went to dl load the mods and i dont have a moduel manager did somthing change coz the mods are not loading

Module manager is most important mod here - without it you can't use any mods, that change something in part files.

25 minutes ago, mrgreco said:

so..... what do i do? the mods are not loading, the warp plugin dose not contain mod manager

Download it manually or trough ckan and place it in gamedata folder

Edited by raxo2222

Not sure this is the right place to get help, but I'm having problems building a SSTO powered by two (upgraded) thermal turbojets, which get thermal energy from an antimatter reactor each. Low-altitude, low-speed flight works fine, and I often get a TWR of over 7 (and that's some acceleration...).  However, after going past a certain speed/altitude limit (can't figure out which...), the TWR drops significantly. Switching propellants to Liquid Fuel drops it even further to an impractical 0.20ish, which only allows me to reach 15km high before falling back down.

The ship itself is relatively simple: it has a delta-wing design (based on Orbiter's Delta Glider), basic life support and RCS systems, a small cargo bay...

As for the engines themselves, they are composed of the turbojet, an antimatter reactor and a radiator, all attached to a fuel tank.

Picture for reference:

gdPAm2g.png

The air intakes and radiators are below the wing, attached to the aft section of the long, white tanks.

(this is a screenshot from a version I made when I was experimenting with the ramjets; otherwise everything's the same)

3 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

Not sure this is the right place to get help, but I'm having problems building a SSTO powered by two (upgraded) thermal turbojets, which get thermal energy from an antimatter reactor each. Low-altitude, low-speed flight works fine, and I often get a TWR of over 7 (and that's some acceleration...).  However, after going past a certain speed/altitude limit (can't figure out which...), the TWR drops significantly. Switching propellants to Liquid Fuel drops it even further to an impractical 0.20ish, which only allows me to reach 15km high before falling back down.

The ship itself is relatively simple: it has a delta-wing design (based on Orbiter's Delta Glider), basic life support and RCS systems, a small cargo bay...

As for the engines themselves, they are composed of the turbojet, an antimatter reactor and a radiator, all attached to a fuel tank.

Picture for reference:

gdPAm2g.png

The air intakes and radiators are below the wing, attached to the aft section of the long, white tanks.

(this is a screenshot from a version I made when I was experimenting with the ramjets; otherwise everything's the same)

when you get to a certain altitude, there's no more air to use as ejection mass for the reaction, so you have to switch to closed cycle mode, either using liquidfuel or hydrazine or something else.  I recommend hydrazine.  I assume you have antimatter on this thing somewhere as well, and that you have enough electric charge from that single(?) solar panel to run the confinement tanks for the antimatter (since I don't see any electric generators connected to the reactors)?

edit: if you want to use hydrazine/etc with non-KSPIE fuel tank parts, such as B9 fuselages/wings, install Modular Fuel Tanks (MFT).  I think configurable containers can do it too, but the interface is different and I'm not sure it covers as many different mods' parts.  Maybe it does, now.  I do know that MFT and CC are incompatible with each other, though, so install one -or- the other.

Edited by ss8913

46 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

when you get to a certain altitude, there's no more air to use as ejection mass for the reaction, so you have to switch to closed cycle mode, either using liquidfuel or hydrazine or something else.  I recommend hydrazine.  I assume you have antimatter on this thing somewhere as well, and that you have enough electric charge from that single(?) solar panel to run the confinement tanks for the antimatter (since I don't see any electric generators connected to the reactors)?

edit: if you want to use hydrazine/etc with non-KSPIE fuel tank parts, such as B9 fuselages/wings, install Modular Fuel Tanks (MFT).  I think configurable containers can do it too, but the interface is different and I'm not sure it covers as many different mods' parts.  Maybe it does, now.  I do know that MFT and CC are incompatible with each other, though, so install one -or- the other.

So selecting "next propellant" - via action group, for example - isn't the same as switching to closed cycle? As of now, I'm using LiquidFuel as the secondary propellant. Both "atmospheric" and "liquidfuel" modes on the turbojets work flawlessly on lower altitudes (albeit with different ISP,  thrust, etc. as expected), but over a certain altitude, speed, temperature or whatever, the fuel flow drops and, IIRC, so does the thermal output of the reactors, which results in a miserable TWR. The performance does seem to improve a little if I add an ungodly amount of radiators, but it still isn't nowhere near enough to get me to orbit (TWR << 1.00)

The antimatter is contained inside the ship (1000 units).

Oh, and I just remembered: sometimes, when I use the turbojets on LiquidFuel right from the start, the reactors undergo an "emergency shutdown" due to overheating, and recover some time later. Not sure if it has something to do with my problem, but I though it was worth mentioning.

On 19/12/2017 at 8:46 PM, falcoon said:

Are you sure? I think context is different, but I might be wrong. My English is far from perfect.

I remember there used to be engines in the past that worked during non-physical time warp. I didn't look for them in my current career save, because i had no need, but maybe some of them are still capable of running this way.

Many engines can run in non phisical timewarp. You need to set the throttle at minimum acceleration and then activate non phisics timewarp. during timewarp the thrust and propellant consumption will be at max throttle (unless you set it differently in the engine menu)

On 12/29/2017 at 1:52 PM, R-TEAM said:

Hi,

still an error from ModuleManager :

[ModuleManager] Error - more than one pass specifier on a node: WarpPlugin/Patches/RealFuelsFix/@TANK_DEFINITION[ServiceModule,Fuselage,Jet,Xenon]:FOR[WarpPlugin]:Final

1 error related to GameData/WarpPlugin/Patches/RealFuelsFix.cfg

@FreeThinker The problem here is MM is being clearly confused. :FOR and :FINAL are mutually exclusive. (Side note, :FINAL should not be used in public releases of mods.) As mods tend to load in alphabetical sequence of their folder names, nearly any of KSPI's need for :FINAL is covered by :FOR and its folder name "WarpPlugin".

Tested the new version and noted @FreeThinker forgot to make the cover toggle able for my antimatter to positron processor. So, if anyone's interested here's a quick and dirty option so you can pop the cover off. Goto: WarpPlugin/Parts/Utility/DeployableAntimatterCoil and drop this in at the end of the antprocessor.cfg above the last bracket:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleJettison
		jettisonName = cover
		bottomNodeName = bottom
		isFairing = False
		jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
		jettisonForce = 1
		jettisonDirection = 0 1 0
	}

Then you can see all the pretty polygons I made. :D

Edited by SpaceMouse

On 12/31/2017 at 10:00 AM, Lifeisgreasy said:

Liquid hydrogen has less then a tenth the density of kerosene (or whatever liquid fuel is modelled after). You need a tank with over ten times the volume to get to the same mass of LH2 and the mass is what matters. Use a different fuel instead, like liquid fuel, then the lightbulb is better then a tweakscaled nerv. I think LH2 only really works for space built/assembled craft. 

+1 

I use the closed cycle engine on medium sized interplanetary craft. Switch both tank and the engine propellant to 'Liquid Fuel', and the results are great. It also makes for a dependable power source if you're sending a lab or life support recycler and solar power isn't enough. (For example, to Jool.)