[STOCK] SpaceX Family

SpaceX family of Rockets

A release thread for my SpaceX family of rockets

Falcon 9

Falcon 9 Block 5 series of boosters with Various Cargoes.

The booster is good for cargo up to a full orange tanks and can do geostationary launches with ease. The majority of the outer ring engines are at only 80% thrust and there is also space for more fuel.

If you wish to re-land the booster separate the second stage at around 50km apoapsis, use a steep ascent, this will maximise your chances of returning to KSC, or head for island runway. Once separated activate the RCS and turn the booster and start burning retrograde. Once all the main fuel is gone hit action group one to deactivate all engines, bar the landing three, and enable the landing fuel. You can adjust your course with this fuel, but keep at least a quarter for the landing itself. Deploy the airbrakes to help slow down and keep the booster pointed retrograde. It will slow to just under 300ms without engines, after that it is up to you, I start boosting at about 1000m up and throttle back as I get closer.

Falcon 9 with Dragon 2 Crew Capsule

avPm6fN.png

Dragon 2 and 'trunk' in orbit

EGoNMLK.png

Falcon 9 with ComSat Cargo

Falcon 9 with ComSat Cargo in flight

v7cpGwj.png

Big Ears ComSat in orbit

w5yNZtJ.png

Falcon 9 and Orbital Construction Rig

Orbital Construction Rig

pU7sETD.jpg

Edited by selfish_meme

Project BFR 

SpaceX (Codename BFR) Interplanetary cargo spacecraft on the pad

F9dWyIT.png

BFR Second stage engines

oOw8QKw.png

BFR Seperation

ZTfoEio.png

There is a bit of work to do on this, the basic design works, but it has no cargo capacity at present, and I won't be able to do it the same way that SpaceX is planning. Initial launch testing looks good, a Duna trip should be possible with refuel, Mun without.

Edited by selfish_meme

Did a bit of a stream tonight https://www.twitch.tv/videos/241896983 working on the BFR, mainly the booster, thanks @Dafni  for watching and chatting with me. Booster is coming along slowly, getting closer to a landing attempt

AdGbF8a.png

Is it madness? I am not sure yet, it's certainly going to take some tricky flying, and a bit of trial and error to nail the right distance for the heat sheild

gdZISlw.png

Edited by selfish_meme

Hey man! Yes, that was me indeed. You are more than welcome, thank YOU! Was nice to meet you on stream. I'll make sure to drop by again next time I see you online.

Those here are nice replicas, and you run a beautiful KSP too. Keep it up!

Got to within a 100ms of landing this baby, with a TWR of 1.9 I started final burn with 7 Vectors at 3000m, I still had a little fuel left when I hit the surface and was slowing rapidly, the orbiter had been given a 50k apoapsis at separation and I got back to within a couple of Kilometres off the KSC beach. It's doable, the orbiter has a high enough TWR and enough fuel I don't need to baby it so high, which gets me back closer to KSC. I wonder how many lander legs I will need on this thing. Not many craft in KSP give you a big scale feeling but this has 'momentum'

ijfvakJ.png

Edited by selfish_meme

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.