[1.10.x, others] Drop-in Replacement Textures v1.10.0.0

Cydonian Monk

Just now, Cheif Operations Director said:

I have the 6 pictures they are titled nx ny nz pz py pz is this ok? 

Sounds like you're almost there. You just need to rename them: 

• GalaxyTex_NegativeX
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveX
  • GalaxyTex_NegativeY
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveY
  • GalaxyTex_NegativeZ
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveZ

The name mapping from the files you have will be nx to GalaxyTex_NegativeX, px to GalaxyTex_PositiveX, and so on. 

1 minute ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Sounds like you're almost there. You just need to rename them: 

• GalaxyTex_NegativeX
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveX
  • GalaxyTex_NegativeY
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveY
  • GalaxyTex_NegativeZ
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveZ

The name mapping from the files you have will be nx to GalaxyTex_NegativeX, px to GalaxyTex_PositiveX, and so on. 

Ok finally I downloaded the DiRT file their was something in the description about a changing a file? What do I need to do

7 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Ok finally I downloaded the DiRT file their was something in the description about a changing a file? What do I need to do

You'll need to be more specific. What description? (The one on GitHub?) What file wanted changed?

You probably don't need to do anything extra. Unzip the file you downloaded, drop the "DiRT" folder into your KSP's "GameData" folder, then put your new skybox files in the "GameData/DiRT/Textures" folder. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

2 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

You'll need to be more specific. What description? (The one on GitHub?) What file wanted changed?

You probably don't need to do anything extra. Unzip the file you downloaded, drop the "DiRT" folder into your KSP's "GameData" folder, then put your new skybox files in the "GameData/DiRT/Textures" folder. 

Ok thanks. I meant on the forum you said something about a file needing to be changed to true

8 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Their is no textures folder

@Cydonian Monk

I'm not meaning to ask questions to which you have already answered. I've read the OP and a few posts after that, but still am not understanding. I use a skybox, custom space suits, and heads. But the whole TextureReplacer Replaced mod seems over-complicated to me. I want something which does not require me writing a config file and allows me to drop new files into it and simply load the game and they're ready to be used...

38 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Their is no textures folder

Apologies, I may have misremembered the structure of that zip file. Inside the zip there should be a DiRT/GameData/DiRT folder. It's that second DiRT - the DiRT inside the GameData - that needs to go in your KSP's GameData. That DiRT should have a Textures folder.  

3 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I use a skybox, custom space suits, and heads. But the whole TextureReplacer Replaced mod seems over-complicated to me. I want something which does not require me writing a config file and allows me to drop new files into it and simply load the game and they're ready to be used...

If I've infered your question correctly (how do you replace suits/heads for individuals?), you probably want to use TextureReplacer. (I should update that first post to reference TextureReplacer now that it's being maintained again and also since TRR hadn't been updated when I last checked.) TRR really _is_ a bit too complex to get individual suits working well. 

As it is, DiRT can only do a 1:1 replacement of textures. It scans its list of folders for files (usually just "GameData/DiRT/Textures/"). It then goes through the list of materials in Unity. Any material which has a maintexture who's name matches a filename in one of DiRT's folders has its texture swapped with DiRT's. 

As such, DiRT could change the head or suit of every kerbal, but not provide different heads or suits for each individual kerbal. If you want individuals - you'll need TextureReplacer (or something similar). 

Personally, I use DiRT to replace the texture for Jool and the skybox, and use TextureReplacer for everything else. They work well alongside each other provided you don't try to replace the same texture with both. 

2 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Apologies, I may have misremembered the structure of that zip file. Inside the zip there should be a DiRT/GameData/DiRT folder. It's that second DiRT - the DiRT inside the GameData - that needs to go in your KSP's GameData. That DiRT should have a Textures folder.  

Testing. 

So I do not need the source folder at all or the other game data folder right?

Almost loaded

So I do not need the source folder at all

You don't need the Source folder. It's just there because it's open source. 

or the other game data folder right?

What other GameData folder? 

13 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

If I've infered your question correctly...

[Edited by adsii1970 to conserve space]

Yes, you have. I'm sorry that I probably never got around to asking the question directly. I'm so scatter-brained today between a migraine and new medications that I'm not making much sense.

14 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

It's just black when I insert the images

Well, that's a good sign that at least something is working. Sounds like it's using an uninitialized texture. There are a number of reasons this could happen. Maybe the texture is the wrong format (jpg? tiff?, etc). Also, newer versions of Unity require textures to be in sizes of powers of two (512x512, 1024x1024).

If you open the KSP.log file in your KSP folder and search for DiRT, you might find a line where it kicks an error message out. You could also search for the GalaxyTex and see if there's anything there.

Might also be another mod that's setting a black background. Did you have the default KSP skybox before?

Without knowing the image files or seeing what DiRT has logged in your KSP.log file there's not much more I can provide in the way of help. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Just now, Cydonian Monk said:

Well, that's a good sign that at least something is working. Sounds like it's using an uninitialized texture. There are a number of reasons this could happen. Maybe the texture is the wrong format (jpg? tiff?, etc). Also, newer versions of Unity require textures to be in sizes of powers of two (512x512, 1024x1024).

If you open the KSP.log file in your KSP folder and search for DiRT, you might find a line where it kicks an error message out. You coupd also search for the GalaxyTex and see if there's anything there.

Might also be another mod that's setting a black background. Did you have the default KSP skybox before?

Without knowing the image files or seeing what DiRT has logged in your KSP.log file there's not much more I can provide in the way of help. 

How to I change the image type to work with DiRT

It's a PNG

It just says 100 by 100 as the dimensions 

1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Sorry like I said I'm not that computer savvy where the these logs

KSP.log in the KSP main folder.

Open it in a text editor of some type and search for DiRT. See if there are any errors of any sort. If not, search for GalaxyTex and see if there are any errors related to it. 

6 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

KSP.log in the KSP main folder.

Open it in a text editor of some type and search for DiRT. See if there are any errors of any sort. If not, search for GalaxyTex and see if there are any errors related to it. 

I only found a few examples of dirt in the log and 0 examples of Galaxy tex

11 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

0 examples of Galaxy tex

Are your GalaxyTex_ skybox files in  KSP's GameData/DiRT/Textures/ folder? If so, there should be something in the log about them. If there's no mention of any GalaxyTex_ file in the log then it's also unlikely DiRT is what was making the skybox all-black.

We're about at the point where I'd need to see the KSP.log file. Don't post the whole log here. You'd need to upload it some place like pastebin or dropbox. 

16 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Are your GalaxyTex_ skybox files in  KSP's GameData/DiRT/Textures/ folder? If so, there should be something in the log about them. If there's no mention of any GalaxyTex_ file in the log then it's also unlikely DiRT is what was making the skybox all-black.

We're about at the point where I'd need to see the KSP.log file. Don't post the whole log here. You'd need to upload it some place like pastebin or dropbox. 

[LOG 11:24:40.194] Load(Texture): DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_NegativeX
[LOG 11:24:40.203] Load(Texture): DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_NegativeY
[LOG 11:24:40.216] Load(Texture): DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_NegativeZ
[LOG 11:24:40.225] Load(Texture): DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_PositiveX
[LOG 11:24:40.235] Load(Texture): DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_PositiveY
[LOG 11:24:40.241] Load(Texture): DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_PositiveZ

[LOG 11:25:55.942] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_NegativeX
[LOG 11:25:55.942] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_PositiveX
[LOG 11:25:55.942] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_PositiveY
[LOG 11:25:55.942] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_NegativeY
[LOG 11:25:55.942] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_NegativeZ
[LOG 11:25:55.943] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_PositiveZ

[LOG ...]

Ok, strange. Looks like it worked, in as far as replacing the texture with _something_. 

I don't have a way to test at the moment (and won't for six or seven hours), but if you like I could try your textures and see if I get the same result. And if so I'll see if I can get them working. 

Just now, Cydonian Monk said:

Ok, strange. Looks like it worked, in as far as replacing the texture with _something_. 

I don't have a way to test at the moment (and won't for six or seven hours), but if you like I could try your textures and see if I get the same result. And if so I'll see if I can get them working. 

How can I send the pictures to you without uploading to imugur

How can I send the pictures to you without uploading to imugur

Zipping them up and emailing them to [email protected] would be the easiest way. Alternatively, if you don't want to email them, there's always something like Google Drive or Dropbox or similar things.

Picture (it's close enough)

Ok. I'll take a look at what that cubemap generator spits out in a few hours. If the resolution was exactly 1,000, that might have been the problem. 1024 will work better. (Unity has decided to be weird about things and really gets put off if it's not a power-of-two. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.)

You might already be able to get that skybox in cubemap from this link, but I'm on mobile and can't open the SpaceDock files yet to be sure: 

3 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Ok. I'll take a look at what that cubemap generator spits out in a few hours. If the resolution was exactly 1,000, that might have been the problem. 1024 will work better. (Unity has decided to be weird about things and really gets put off if it's not a power-of-two. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.)

You might already be able to get that skybox in cubemap from this link, but I'm on mobile and can't open the SpaceDock files yet to be sure: 

I'll try it with 1024

3 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

It worked! The photo is TERRIBLE quality but that is my problem thanks!

What?

My game is operating at like 10 FPS with orbital velocity being 200 m/s

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.