[1.10.x, others] Drop-in Replacement Textures v1.10.0.0

Cydonian Monk

Yesss! The clues were there, it just didn't register at the time.

Drop your Replacement Textures into the "GameData/DiRT/Textures" folder.

All sorted, thanks for 2nd eyeball on my mis-config! 

Edited by basic.syntax

Another question - I'm trying to replace a stock part texture, but so far no luck, the stock texture is still used. (Previously i'd been overwriting the stock location, but know this is a Bad Practice since I'd have to replace it again after a future KSP update.)

I created a subfolder under GameData\DiRT\Textures, with the same name as the part folder with texture to replace, and copied in my model000.dds.

In the config file I should "...set the "TextureFolder" to the GameData-relative path where your texture files live..."   I tried "Squad/Parts/Science/[folder name]

I also tried locating my replaced part "texture pack with a single texture in it" folder directly under KSP\GameData, with other mods. 

hopefully relevant excerpts from KSP log:

Spoiler

[LOG 09:59:37.652] Load(Texture): DiRT/Textures/sensorBarometer/model000
[LOG 09:59:37.657] Load(Texture): DiRT/Textures/sensorGravimeter/model000
[LOG 09:59:56.471] Config(DiRT_Config) DiRT/config/DiRT_Config
[LOG 09:59:56.472] Config(DiRT_Config) DiRT/Textures/sensorBarometer/config/DiRT_Config
[LOG 09:59:56.472] Config(DiRT_Config) DiRT/Textures/sensorGravimeter/config/DiRT_Config
[LOG 10:00:19.789] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'DiRTActivator' from assembly 'DiRT'
[LOG 10:00:20.978] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'DiRT' from assembly 'DiRT'
[LOG 10:00:20.980] [DiRT.DiRT] Awake 1.4.0.3
[LOG 10:00:20.980] [DiRT.Replacer] Added texture path: Squad/Parts/Science/sensorBarometer
[LOG 10:00:20.981] [DiRT.Replacer] Added texture path: Squad/Parts/Science/sensorGravimeter
[LOG 10:00:20.981] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'DiRTActivator' from assembly 'DiRT'
[LOG 10:00:21.381] [DiRT.DiRT] Start 1.4.0.3
[LOG 10:00:21.392] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/gas1_clouds
[LOG 10:00:21.400] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_NegativeX
[LOG 10:00:21.400] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_PositiveX
[LOG 10:00:21.400] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_PositiveY
[LOG 10:00:21.400] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_NegativeY
[LOG 10:00:21.400] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_NegativeZ
[LOG 10:00:21.400] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/GalaxyTex_PositiveZ
[LOG 10:00:21.401] [DiRT.Replacer] Replaced texture DiRT/Textures/gas1_clouds

Shows successful replace on skybox and gas1_clouds, no 'replaced' entry in log for the two science parts. (Odd that it seems to replace gas1_clouds twice... only one instance of the file exists.)

2 hours ago, basic.syntax said:

I created a subfolder under GameData\DiRT\Textures, with the same name as the part folder with texture to replace, and copied in my model000.dds.

Sometimes the textures aren't actually where we expect them to be, or even where they really are. For example: The barometer texture you're trying to replace. While the model is located in the Squad/Parts/Science/ folder, the texture is loaded into the game at the Squad/Parts/Science/sensorBarometer/ path. If you put your model000.dds file in the folder: "DiRT/Textures/Squad/Parts/Science/sensorBarometer/" it'll work.

Such as here, where I've replaced the same part's texture with the Jool cloud texture:

nnGiMJK.jpg

Best way to know where to put the replacement texture file is to grab the full path from the 'TextureName' in the ExportedTextureList.txt file. The string DiRT matches against to decide which textures to replace is the same as the 'TextureName' in that file.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

Thank you!  Textures are being picked up now. Was not sure if I had to recreate a path for textures like this... I had hoped the path in the cfg would be enough, to describe the intended destination / ownership of files found in the folder with the cfg.   

• 2 weeks later...

DiRT version 1.4.3.0 is now available on GitHub: https://github.com/cydonian-monk/KSP-DiRT/releases/tag/1.4.3.0

Change Log: 
- Recompile against KSP v1.4.3.
- Removed code which prevented DiRT from running alongside TextureReplacer or TextureReplacerReplaced. Obviously this means you shouldn't attempt to replace the same texture with both DiRT and another TR-derived plugin.

Edited by Cydonian Monk

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, BlackWing Pilot said:

Can you help me?

How to convert the png file to dds dxt5?

There are other tools out there (some websites even), but on Windows I use GIMP and the old DDS plugin. You might need to use an older version of GIMP (2.8), as I'm not sure the DDS plugin has  been updated for GIMP 2.10. 

If you're not on Windows, I think there's a .deb package for the DDS plugin for Debian Linux variants, and I've not seen a build of the DDS tool that works on any modern version of OS-X. 

As for using the plugin, you export to a file with the extension .dds, and select DXT5 as the encoding in one of the subsequent menus (I don't recall the specific dialog at the moment).

Links:

https://www.gimp.org/

http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/normalmap-and-dds-plug-ins-updated-for-gimp-2.8

https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-dds/

That's what I use. Others might have more insight or better options. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question. I have a nebula texture with dds format. Can i use it for change the stock nebula texture?https://drive.google.com/file/d/17hXPbYjWqIlUs84bHQFavHuiN5A_5d0Y/view?usp=drivesdk This the screenshot

Sorry, I'm not a imgur user because it blocked in my country by the goverment

Edited by BlackWing Pilot

• 1 month later...

Another question here: Can I use it just to change my Kerbals heads using a menu like in TR ou TRR? I just need that feature, the new TRR version file folder structure has changed I cant make it see my headtextures anymore

3 hours ago, Trevisan said:

Another question here: Can I use it just to change my Kerbals heads using a menu like in TR ou TRR?

No, not at present.

I have plans to add support for individual kerbals, but it will be either name-of-folder based (which is inefficient for obvious texture-duplication reasons) or based on a small config file. At some point I need to go through all of the "texture bug fixes" in TR/TRR to see exactly which of those are still needed, too. 

On 5/20/2018 at 1:41 AM, BlackWing Pilot said:

I have a question.

I'm not sure how I missed this one.... Otherwise I would've answered it back when you asked. 

On 5/20/2018 at 1:41 AM, BlackWing Pilot said:

I have a nebula texture with dds format. Can i use it for change the stock nebula

Do you mean SkyBox? GoogleDrive apparently forces you to have a Drive account and be logged in now to see Drive contents, so I can't look at your texture at the moment. What I can tell you is this: Yes, you should be able to replace the SkyBox. The catch: The SkyBox in Unity is split into six files: Negative X,Y,Z and Positive X,Y,Z. So if your texture isn't split into six files, you'll need to find a way to do that. I think there are a few websites which can do this for you. 

On 6/24/2018 at 7:33 PM, BlackWing Pilot said:

No, I mean the skybox was split into six files with dds format

As long as those six files use the correct texture names (GalaxyTex_NegativeX.dds, GalaxyTex_PositiveX.dds, GalaxyTex_NegativeY.dds, GalaxyTex_PositiveY.dds, GalaxyTex_NegativeZ.dds, GalaxyTex_PositiveZ.dds), then they should work perfectly.

Thanks for the spot on mod. Just as I like 'em! I was going to ask for a favor as I'm using Linux and not very good at it. I'm having problems getting the dds-plug-in for GIMP and all I actually need is a completely black skybox. So I'm asking for just one - I dunno 800x400 bucket filled black .dds file that I could then copy and rename accordingly. All help appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Nightshift83 said:

So I'm asking for just one - 800x400 bucket filled black .dds file that I could then copy and rename accordingly. All help appreciated.

Here ya go, an 800x400 DXT1 DDS file (with mipmaps, which _should_ improve performance though will obviously not be noticeable), solid black:

http://0div0.org/files/black.dds

Let me know if that works for you. Cheers!

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

What do I need to name my replacement skybox jpg

It's a cube, so you'll need six textures:

• GalaxyTex_NegativeX
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveX
  • GalaxyTex_NegativeY
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveY
  • GalaxyTex_NegativeZ
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveZ

I don't know which one is up or down, left or right, but there are quite a few Unity help sites out on the web that can explain it better than I can. Can always just experiment as well.

I'm honestly not sure if a JPG will work, as I've never tried. At a minimum you should try to use PNG. If you have access to something that can create mipmapped DXT-5 files with a DDS extension, use that instead. 

1 minute ago, Cydonian Monk said:

It's a cube, so you'll need six textures:

• GalaxyTex_NegativeX
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveX
  • GalaxyTex_NegativeY
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveY
  • GalaxyTex_NegativeZ
  • GalaxyTex_PositiveZ

I don't know which one is up or down, left or right, but there are quite a few Unity help sites out on the web that can explain it better than I can. Can always just experiment as well.

I'm honestly not sure if a JPG will work, as I've never tried. At a minimum you should try to use PNG. If you have access to something that can create mipmapped DXT-5 files with a DDS extension, use that instead. 

I'm not that computer savvy lol what Do I need to do to get it like that can I just take a picture and cut it up into the 6 squares

2 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I'm not that computer savvy lol what Do I need to do to get it like that can I just take a picture and cut it up into the 6 squares

Making a cubemap is a bit more complicated than that, but in part - yes. You just need to cut the correct six squares.

Depending on the picture you might lose some of it. For instance: pictures such as the following are cut up into twelve pieces, half of which are discarded when making a skybox cubemap:

cubemaps_skybox.png

If you want to know more you'll need to use a search engine (Google, Duck Duck Go, etc). There are also some cubemap generators online where you can just drop in an image and it'll spit out a cubemap. There might also be some good resources for this in the older posts of the threads for the "Universe Replacer" and "Texture Replacer" mods. 

13 minutes ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Making a cubemap is a bit more complicated than that, but in part - yes. You just need to cut the correct six squares.

Depending on the picture you might lose some of it. For instance: pictures such as the following are cut up into twelve pieces, half of which are discarded when making a skybox cubemap:

cubemaps_skybox.png

If you want to know more you'll need to use a search engine (Google, Duck Duck Go, etc). There are also some cubemap generators online where you can just drop in an image and it'll spit out a cubemap. There might also be some good resources for this in the older posts of the threads for the "Universe Replacer" and "Texture Replacer" mods. 

I have the 6 pictures they are titled nx ny nz pz py pz is this ok? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.