EVA without parachutes?

Hi!

First thanks to SQUAD for continuing and the new update 1.4. 

But is there a way to remove parachutes from a kerbal on entering EVA? A parachute on as backpack while doing EVA in orbit or on the mun looks quite silly.

Edited by Nereid

1 minute ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

Do they look enough like a PLSS or other life-support backpack that they can be rationalized that way, or do they just look purely like a chute?  I'm not sure I've seen a clear image of them yet.

They just look like the chute in the atmosphere. 

1 minute ago, _stilgar_ said:

They wear EVA suit WITH A HELMET while walking on surface of Kerbin. 

I'd like to think that Kerbals are just that extra careful. 

Ok, that is an argument. :wink:

But disabling it in vacuum shouldn't be that big deal...

Edited by Nereid

44 minutes ago, Nereid said:

Ok, that is an argument. :wink:

But disabling it in vacuum shouldn't be that big deal...

I used to watch a Youtuber who managed to crash into the Mun.  He was wondering why his capsule's parachute didn't work.  D'oh!

7 hours ago, _stilgar_ said:

They wear EVA suit WITH A HELMET while walking on surface of Kerbin. 

I'd like to think that Kerbals are just that extra careful. 

I wouldnt be surprised if its because kerbin is contaminated with something akin to that black crap in the recent alien movie.  I mean ive yet to see ANY sort of non botanical life, and doesnt that black stuff like kill all non botanical life?  That or kerbals are plants actually and thus immune to it in the 1st place...

Anyways, for all seriousness, i agree with having parachutes only spawn when in orbit of a planet that has atmosphere (just incase we want to deorbit kerbals safely or something stupid), and not spawn when in orbit of a planet without atmo (or even when in orbit of jool where parachuting down is suicide).  if thats not ideal, then even spawning the chutes ONLY when teh kerbal bails out of a vessel in atmo makes sense.  They dont look bad, but it is sorta awkward to see a kerbin doing EVA in low solar orbit with a parachute on his back (wouldnt that be a fire hazard).

Edited by panzer1b

6 hours ago, panzer1b said:

Anyways, for all seriousness, i agree with having parachutes only spawn when in orbit of a planet that has atmosphere (just incase we want to deorbit kerbals safely or something stupid), and not spawn when in orbit of a planet without atmo (or even when in orbit of jool where parachuting down is suicide).  if thats not ideal, then even spawning the chutes ONLY when teh kerbal bails out of a vessel in atmo makes sense.  They dont look bad, but it is sorta awkward to see a kerbin doing EVA in low solar orbit with a parachute on his back (wouldnt that be a fire hazard).

You're missing out on edge cases there, man.  You could be in Minmus or Mun orbit, and have more than enough delta-v to escape and return to Kerbin and then parachute in.   There's no easy solution that isn't silly in some way or caught by some edge case.

On the other hand, don't worry, typical human EVA packs use cold gas thrusters.  Usually some inert gas like compressed nitrogen.  It won't set anything on fire.  Mind you a human EVA suit like the MMU only has 24 m/s delta-v, vs the Kerbonaut Ultra-Deep-Space-Long-Range-Runs-Almost-Forever-Suit packs a walloping 600 m/s.

• 3 months later...

heh, I asked the same thing in another thread I made. Which nobody answered... Guess I used the wrong section of the forum.

Would it be possible to replace the kerbal's body model with an older one sans parachute?

I know there's a mod that replaces the kerbals with mlp ponies. Though it's only the heads, not the bodies.

Safety first.

KSC policy mandates that you can not participate in an EVA without all appropriate safety gear.

This includes a parachute.

Complacency kills Kerbals!

-Jn-

Edited by JoeNapalm

On 7/15/2018 at 12:18 PM, Xd the great said:

No, kerbals need that parachute so thise that are too stupid will trigger the parachute landing on the mun and die. This is a dark method to fire kerbals that are too stupid.

Haha, I lol’d. :D

On 7/14/2018 at 8:25 PM, MDZhB said:

KIS can remove the helmet, so I'm sure a mod could be made that removes the parachute or replaces it with something else. Perhaps you could make that suggestion on the KIS thread.

The reason KIS can remove helmets is because Squad added a hook in their code for modders to remove it 

Removing the parachute would involve going around the KSP plugin code and using Unity itself to remove it ... totally doable, check the Unity docs to get started :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I would like an option to make the ugly parachute pack invisible as well. Or at the very least make it blend in better with the EVA pack instead of looking like a leather WW2 era parachute pack glueed on to a space suit, so jarring! Really triggers my on-the-spectrum-ism

Edited by RuBisCO

9 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

The problem is that when in LKO you can deorbit a Kerbal this means that after deorbiting you do not have the chute. Unless it just automatically appears after entering the atmosphere them I'm fine with it

In my opinion, a Kerbal entering from LKO should not survive long enough to use a parachute.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.