[WIP] Heavenly Arms (back from the dead)

sirkut

Been on a huge hiatus but I decided to pick up where I left off.  This is the page before where I was working on it then sorta set it aside for a few good years (Note to avoid confusion I'll be giving it a new name):

Being that I've been a huge fan of Romfarer's Robotic Arms pack (the Buran and Canadarm) I wanted to see if I could write a similar plugin. Currently I have both the Canadarm and Buran arm working from Romfarer's pack WITHOUT any editing from the models. Just a CFG and one is good to go. I also took Jeast's Canadarm mod and put all the pieces together to form 1 robotic arm part.  I also have the magnet portion working with a little red range finder to help point the arm to your target.  Only thing left is saving the state of the arm and tidying up the code(possibly revising it some) and I'll release it along with Jeast's complete arm and the CFGs if you want to use Romfarer's arms. If anyone wants to create any arms, please refer to the old thread on the hierarchy. Here are some videos (note I also got DennyTX's docking camera to work, I'll be submitting a minor change to his code to support this):

Jeasts Canadarm:

Romfarer's Buran:

Finally for a little fun I added the module to a version using Roverdude's Konstruction CFG setting to the Canadarm. Both work well together too.

Edited by sirkut

So just a little update:
I have 3 arms working with this mod:
Jeast's Canadarm 1.71 (I took the components and used them to make 1 arm:

Romfarer's Canadarm and Buran arms from this pack (UNTOUCHED):
https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods/robotic-arms-pack

I've now got my arms saving positions both in the VAB-SPH and in flight. Great for changing up the position before launch. Magnet works (although if you run what you picked up into yourself there is a weird force that acts on your craft). I have a speed setting and you can set an angle (snaps it to the specified angle). Without much further ado, here's a preview:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2018 at 8:39 AM, sirkut said:

So just a little update:
I have 3 arms working with this mod:
Jeast's Canadarm 1.71 (I took the components and used them to make 1 arm:

Romfarer's Canadarm and Buran arms from this pack (UNTOUCHED):
https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods/robotic-arms-pack

I've now got my arms saving positions both in the VAB-SPH and in flight. Great for changing up the position before launch. Magnet works (although if you run what you picked up into yourself there is a weird force that acts on your craft). I have a speed setting and you can set an angle (snaps it to the specified angle). Without much further ado, here's a preview:

Is this a mod somewhere that the public may download?  The only one I'm seeing is the Jeast one--the other two appear to be unavailable.  

Or is this still a work in progress?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not bringing that entire UI back, I prefer a more simpler approach. Maybe down the road I'll tweak and give it more but for right now I just want it to "go <" and go ">" and maybe center :) 

I'm currently fleshing out other features which i think will be very useful.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.