Calling occupants of interplanetary craft ( Or just Ubuntu Users)

NewtSoup

2 minutes ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Looks like I didn't check the thread for too long -- I see you've got your Ubuntu installed and DTE switched already.  I was going to suggest Ubuntu Mate, which is what I run on my desktop and laptop.  Mate is a fork of Gnome 2, and I prefer it over Gnome 3.  It's actually got me looking forward to 18.04 (usually, I hate upgrades, because they break more stuff than they fix).

I used to use KDE 4, but when Ubuntu 16.04 (and everyone else, due to KDE support limits) switched to KDE 5, it abandoned most of the eye candy that made me like the system.  If I can't have Keramik window theme, what's the point of running KDE at all?

I was quite enjoying unity but I knew that 18.04 will be using Gnome 3.  My old install had compiz running along with the desktop cube and my own selection of 30s / 40s pinup girls as wall papers ( I love the swing era and look )

I was never a Unity fan.  I started with KDE (chosen for its visual and functional similarity to Windows 95/98/XP Classic) on MEPIS 11 (another Debian offshoot) back in 2011, then switched to Kubuntu 14.04 in 2014.  Couldn't stand the cube, though, and I've never taken to "workspaces."  Might be just because I'm a round ten years your senior, and that much more set in my ways...

Oh work spaces was one of the things I most loved about linux.  I remember when the work space switcher was a tray icon you clicked once to summon the switcher and then click again on the work space you wanted.

Gnome three works by using shift-super and up and down arrows to navigate an infinite number of work spaces.  If you drag a program into the bottom most (empty) work space it creates a new empty work space below it.  Drag the last window out of a work space and it removes said work space.  So I've not bothered installing cube, it might mess up gnome 3 too much.

I think perhaps "got used to unity" was more accurate than acutally "enjoy" :)

Off to the shops quickly and hten it's back to starting a new career mode in KSP.

This time though I know what I'm doing better.  I've selected some mods, I'm leaving out visual frills.  So it's x science, maneuver node, better time warp, engineer, docking port indicator, alarm clock and better time warp but nothing that "does the job for me" ( except maybe KAC).. oh I think I should install waypoint manager too.  I like that. 

This thread is still a better love story than Twilight.

My suggestions for non-invasive, must-have mods are: EditorExtensionsRedux, RCSBuildAid, CorrectCOL, TacFuelBalancer

47 ?!?, holy heck. I'm 42, and everything went salt and pepper quite a while ago.

Edited by FleshJeb

I got drunk and moved on :)

Though this thread can continue for linux related stuff!  In fact I have three 1.4.1 bugs to report.
1)Thrust Master Hotas not recognised by the game!
2)Attempting to use a Steam Controller causes the game to crash
3)Graphical Glitch in Assembly buildings - parts are clipped at the top and overlap at the bottom

9 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

I got drunk and moved on

I had a similar thought, with a different substance. Now I have some kerbals to rescue :)
Your story is better though.

9 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

I have three 1.4.1 bugs to report.

1 & 3 Are already on the tracker (joysticks in general don't work at all in 1.4.x on GNU/Linux :rolleyes:)

I don't see #2 there, and I can't reproduce it as I don't use Steam. You should probably file it.

On 3/23/2018 at 10:37 PM, NewtSoup said:

3)Graphical Glitch in Assembly buildings - parts are clipped at the top and overlap at the bottom

This was literally the first issue I noticed when I installed 1.4.0 -- and I (briefly) expected it to be fixed in 1.4.1.  This is only in the "parts bin", not after parts are selected and brought out to the VAB floor.  I think the parts bin has the same problem in SPH, though I spend a lot less time there than in VAB because I'm not much of a spaceplane guy.  As far as controllers, I've never even connected one to my PC since PC joysticks had 9-pin serial connectors (hint: I needed a DOS driver for the joystick then).

I am staring to really like Gnome 3.  I works in quite a different way to Unity while at the same time being familiar.  It's feels like what Unity should have been if they'd got it right.  Now, part of me does indeed crave the structure of the classic menu with all it's categories and tree like branches but I think that's really just my brain being resistant to change and not liking having everything lined up.  I don't need to alt-tab any more or press a super key, mouse to top left and pick the window or favourite application I want or just type a letter or two of the application I want to find.  It's quicker and more convenient than hovering a mouse through a category tree.

I like the way the work space switcher works too.  The way it creates and removes them as needed and the fact that you switch between them in the same way you pick an application to run.  For me, I think this is the new way of working.  No more hierarchical menus.  They're not needed any more.  I think this is good for my brain too.  Learning to think in another way.

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling a little frustrated.

I'm loathe to install all the stuff I had and start projects I want to until the 26th of this month when Bionic Beaver gets released.  I know the last time I tried a distribution upgrade it kind of broke everything.  I'd hazard a guess that it's all a lot smoother these days but one of the things I want to do is a custom Wine install using some 3rd party patches which get Fallout 4 up and running ( check the appdb to see what i mean if you're curious ).  I'm betting though that if I go to the trouble of getting it all in place then the upgrade to beaver will break it.  Same as with a thing I want to do for KSP.  I have some assets I want to have a go at making.  But I'm loathed to install unity, blender and other stuff in case it all gets FUBAR and I have to start over.  Of course I guess I don't have to upgrade at all. But then my brain will itch too much.

4 hours ago, radonek said:

So the rumors are true, there ARE people who like Gnome 3.

Oh I'm starting to find fault with it.  Like I can't work out how to make my own launchers for say wine apps and place them on the desktop.  In fact it seems the ONLY use for the desktop is to display a rotating wall paper.   If there was an easy way to create and edit shortcuts for the menu's that would be just dandy!.  I've installed "Main Menu" of course but it's bit of a long way round just to create a custom shortcut for a wine game for instance or to launch the wine version of steam.  For something that claims to be "customisable" it's not really.

3 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Well, don't get ahead of yourself.  We don't have any actual proof that @NewtSoup is a person...  :confused:  This is the internet, after all.  She could be a dog or cat.  Or a bot.

Dang it, I've been discovered.  Yes, I admit it.  I spontaneously aggregated from old computer parts left in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet and have been plotting your doom ever since.  Empress Valentina is just a simulation run.

5 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

Well, don't get ahead of yourself.  We don't have any actual proof that @NewtSoup is a person...  :confused:  This is the internet, after all.  She could be a dog or cat.  Or a bot.

I've never met a fake person before, I've know a few that were 'fakes'. The bot proclamation is overused form of paranoia on the internet. Also she's not a fake, she has numerous typo errors just like the rest of us corporeal beings.

1 minute ago, PB666 said:

I've never met a fake person before, I've know a few that were 'fakes'. The bot proclamation is overused form of paranoia on the internet. Also she's not a fake, she has numerous typo errors just like the rest of us corporeal beings.

Haha :D I assumed Zeiss Ikon was kidding.

1 hour ago, NewtSoup said:

Oh I'm starting to find fault with it.  Like I can't work out how to make my own launchers for say wine apps and place them on the desktop.  In fact it seems the ONLY use for the desktop is to display a rotating wall paper.

If I could stop the WIN10 startup desktop it would be gone in an instance. "Have you been, here?" "no?" "you can shop online at the M$ store just like you been here".

59 minutes ago, PB666 said:

If I could stop the WIN10 startup desktop it would be gone in an instance. "Have you been, here?" "no?" "you can shop online at the M$ store just like you been here".

I'm afraid I don't get you?  Are you talking about Windows 10 or Ubuntu / Gnome 3

22 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

Feeling a little frustrated.

I'm loathe to install all the stuff I had and start projects I want to until the 26th of this month when Bionic Beaver gets released.  I know the last time I tried a distribution upgrade it kind of broke everything.

I don't use Ubuntu, but I've been running Debian (a different variety of apple, but an apple nonetheless) for years without a dist-upgrade going pear shaped. This machine went through 6 releases without a reinstall before I switched to Gentoo (for unrelated reasons).
Unless somebody really made a hash of the excellent package manager they swiped from Debian, upgrading shouldn't cause any trouble at all. Just read the release notes and do a system backup first.

22 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

I want to do is a custom Wine install using some 3rd party patches which get Fallout 4 up and running ( check the appdb to see what i mean if you're curious ).  I'm betting though that if I go to the trouble of getting it all in place then the upgrade to beaver will break it.

If you're compiling stuff yourself, put it in /usr/local/ and distro packages will never touch it. Worst case you will need a recompile against new system library versions.

3 hours ago, NewtSoup said:

I'm starting to find fault with it... For something that claims to be "customisable" it's not really.

Install KDE. Problem solved. Editing the desktop and menu launchers is easy and obvious, as it should be. And it's a "classic" logical menu to boot... None of this touchscreen nonsense unless you want it, it's configurable.

There is a big drive for minimalism and hiding all the controls in GNOME, menu bars and window controls are vanishing, hamburger menus and tiles are turning up where nobody wants them. It's horrible and it's getting worse.
I tried using a some not-KDE desktops recently (Mate, Cinnamon, GNOME3), and all of them lasted less than an hour due to missing knobs. One can't even modify toolbar entries in any of the filemanagers without digging about in undocumented config files. :confused:

Edited by steve_v
A lone parenthesis wandered in there...

@steve_vI will try KDE - I do like KDE but the last time I tried Kubuntu it installed just fine and then fell flat on it's face.  I got it up and running again but it refused to populate the software centre and a few other things so I stuck standard 16.04 back on a pen drive and went back to that.  Mind you this time I'd not be installing Kubuntu per-se just KDE

Ooh.. maybe someone here can answer - I'm wanting to install Unity Personal, will the upgrade from 16.04 to 18.04 cause issues with Unity Licensing?  I haven't got a clue how Unity checks how many operating systems its installed on.

Edited by NewtSoup

Yeah, KDE is the king of customizability. Back in the day, I could spend hours in kcontrolcenter, tweaking every bit to my maximum liking. But it seems to me slowly withering away since good ol' 3.x days.

@steve_v I never suspected there are so many fellow Gentooists around here.

57 minutes ago, radonek said:

Yeah, KDE is the king of customizability. Back in the day, I could spend hours in kcontrolcenter, tweaking every bit to my maximum liking. But it seems to me slowly withering away since good ol' 3.x days.

@steve_v I never suspected there are so many fellow Gentooists around here.

I too went the route of Gentoo back in my university days around 1999 / 2000 took around a day to compile and install with an early version of Enlightenment.

1 hour ago, radonek said:

it seems to me slowly withering away since good ol' 3.x days.

How so? KDE5 / Plasma is pretty nice (now, early releases were typically buggy), and I don't find It lacking in customisability. Not a big fan of the "sematic desktop" bit, but a recompile fixes that.

1 hour ago, radonek said:

I never suspected there are so many fellow Gentooists around here.

Gentoo is the king of customisability. :P
It's also one of the few remaining "old guard" distros that still do things the way I like - i.e. no dependency bloat, no "unified experience, fat-fingers noob friendliness over functionality, copy the M$ UI, tablets are the future" new-age shenanigans, no forced systemd / pulseaudio / <insert other software I don't want>, and user-readable text-file configuration. Flexibility and end-user hackability FTW.
The devs even get into arguments on the forums. :D

It seems odd to think of Gentoo as "old", but that's what people are calling it. It was the latest shiniest whiz-bang meta-distro when I first tried it.
Came back 10 years later, after Debian annoyed me, and it's the same as it ever was. :)

Edited by steve_v

Well, I used to have KDE app for almost everything. K3B was king of burning, but I do not even have optical drive today. Kopete for best IM features - now dead of neglect. Amarok ruled the music until it bloated to bugged uselessness. KMail was absolutely best mail app I have ever used, now I have to use Thunderbird. Ugh :-( Konqueror was wonderfull handle to everything for which ther was KIO. Now unburried dead. So is KDM, kuickshow, basket… do I have to continue?

I am quite happy with Plasma, but can't honestly call it "KDE desktop" anymore. 

21 minutes ago, radonek said:

Kopete for best IM features - now dead of neglect.

True. There's that new Telepathy thing, if one can get it to work... I just use Pidgin.

Amarok ruled the music until it bloated to bugged uselessness.

Clementine, or Cantata.

KMail was absolutely best mail app I have ever used

Agreed, though it's getting usable again in KF5 (if you can tolerate the sematic desktop) now that akonadi doesn't crash every 5 minutes.

Konqueror was wonderfull handle to everything for which ther was KIO.

Dolphin has grown on me, it took a while. I never much liked the idea of the web browser also being the file-manager either TBH.
It's the web-browser bit that killed it, just not enough manpower to keep KHTML up to scratch.

KDM

Meh. I don't see the login screen often enough to care. SDDM works fine.

kuickshow

Gwenview.

basket

There's still a note app. Lacks those nifty features I didn't know about though.

Edited by steve_v

Actually I'm happy again - I have found the gnome-tweak-tool and enabled desktop icons.  Now I can do what I want.  I also have installed the menu editor so I can add custom links to the main panel.  I like the way the workspace switcher works.  I know how to turn it off if I get bored and want Compiz back :)

I like Gnome 3.  You need to turn back on a few things that are turned off by default but it's a very nice environment.  Going to have a good look through the shell extensions next.

Edited by NewtSoup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.