What is easier to learn JAVA or Python ?

Pawelk198604

I just bought programming (coding) courses on udemy, for Java and python?

I'm from Poland, on our Polish facebook group of on our Polish famous political and science vloger guy is basically one man band, and his fans like me usually have higher than average IQ :-)

I have Asperger syndrome, have 31 years old, i graduated in Library Science and yet i work in KFC fast food restaurant, not get me wrong i love me work but i want something more intellectually challenging!

So i asked my online friends does buying into programming Python (i want learn it because scientist from NASA and ROSCOSMOS  mainly use it)  boot-camp organized by on of our Wroclaw (my city) IT company, my friends told my to try  better to but course on UDAMY that they have They have a lot of Polish langue programming course and in English even more and now they have 85% discount for few hours

So i bought  :Programowanie w JAVIE kurs dla początkujących" - Java programming course for beginners " i "Python dla początkujących" - Python for beginners i also bought Polish version of "Python for kids. A playful Introduction to programming" it was advised in bookstore with academic premiers, guy said that it's for kids but college students around the world also use it.

I always wanted to be a programmer first I heard that programmers in Poland can earn a dozen times more than regular employees, as much as LOT pilots (our national air carrier) and second is a very nice job, but I have never been good at math :-(

I've always had the same ratings "3-" D- in Anglo-American grading scale  

In high school at the instigation of IT teacher I signed up for her extended lessons, which included learning program in the programming language Logo, and Turbo borland turbo pascal, it was a journey through torment, he called the conditional loops, the teacher gave me 3- told me to continue to learn programming because I started to go well, but I was sick of it then, but now I regret it

Edited by Pawelk198604

Python is far easier to learn.  It's very similar to Basic, in that it's an interpreting language natively.  I'm a very, very rusty programmer, and a couple years ago I picked up enough Python to write a simple "adventure" style game, with inventory and situations that depended on it, in a matter of 3-4 weeks working on my own in spare time.  Python also has extensions that can do on-screen graphics, floating point math (natively, Python is an integer language), etc. and is capable of handling Object Oriented concepts like inheritance.

I've never tried Java, but everything I've read suggests it's much more like C++ in terms of the learning curve -- which is to say, you'll be a good long while before you can write a program that does anything noticeable.

Edit to add: if you run Linux on your computer, you already have Python installed, and there is a free Python available for Windows.  All you need beyond that is a text editor (there are some very nice, free ones around specifically for programming -- Geany works very well in Linux, and there's an extended version of Notepad that I've seen used in Windows).

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

I did Java for living, now I do python. (Also C++, PHP and several others).

1. Python makes it easy to learn basics by providing easy, simple environment. Java is supposedly easy because it comes with compiler that will scream at you if you do anything that in opinion of people who designed it you should not do.
  2. Python can easily be installed and run on windows, but it definitely feels better in *nix. Java makes all archs feel same.
  3. Java has some honking great IDEs that make coding a lot easier, especially if you are not familar with all the APIs (and there are a lot of those in java libraries…). Python is supposedly simple enought to feel comfortable with any editor that can tell space from tab. But it's telling that one of best python IDEs is coded in Java.
  4. Python have WAY better standard library, but it's messy at places. Java standard library feels like product of design comitee - it's pleasing to look at and easy get grasp on, but sometimes not very nice to use.
  5. Apart from standard library, Java have whole ecosystem of other tools whose depth beats… well, everything. Python is easy (for certain values of easy) to extend beyond it's own ecosystem, some of most used python libraries are just binding to powerfull C libs (numpy, PyQt, pygame…)
  6. Java code is nothing like C++ code, but the "compiler mentality" is similar while still providing some of advatages of interpreted code. It certainly teach you some things (scoping, strong types) that may come in handy if you start tinkering with proper compiled languages like C.  Python have incredible expresiveness, but it's only tangentialy transferable to compiled languages. 
  7. Java is used heavily in Big Business. Python is loved by people who have my respect.

I could probably write a book on the subject, but I tried to stick with stuff relevant to begginers. I'd say that python is definitely better if you want to learn stuff while playing with code, but if you ever go into serious coding, you will sooner or later learn both. Just steer clear of PHP regardless whatever they say to you.

I personally use a lot of Java. I used Python a little bit for scripting some time back: it was fairly decent, but the lack of strong typing really bugged me coming from a Java background. If not for the existence of Groovy, I might use Python more often for medium-scale scripting tasks, but for me, the overhead of getting good at Python makes it just not worth it to look back.

Both, however, are very valuable languages to learn, and you can't go too far wrong with either or both.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.