A proposal on the future of textures

In light of the recent release of KSP v1.4, the decisions for texture swapping, and the recent uproar about old parts, I wish to present my idea on what we may be able to do with textures in future KSP updates (or mods, or whatever).

KSP v1.4 brought us personal parachutes, texture swaps, and part updates. The last two points are critical to the forum activity over the past few days.

It has come to light that old part models and textures will inevitably be phased out in the next update or two, and so many players have raised concerns over the parts. Quite frankly, I think the new parts and textures should be welcomed. We've probably had a similar event when there was a transition between the plane parts a while back (v0.24?). I can understand the uproar about the phasing of parts, but sometimes it can get out of hand.

Perhaps, one could create a part pack that incorporates all the old parts (and textures) so that anyone could use them (although the recent EULA update may affect that).

Anyway, I want to focus more on the possibility of texture addition and design for parts in KSP.

I propose that players are able to create their own color schemes in game (based off of the main few templates). However, I do understand that mods for this may already be in development. As I recall, there used to be a mod for KSP that allowed for the player to customize parts by simply changing their color (Kerbpaint, I think). That mod, however, has since gone "extinct," for lack of a better term.

Perhaps that would be a bit difficult to implement into the game, but I'd find it interesting to see the results.

Anyway, that was my proposal.

TL;DR: people are disappointed by the removal of old parts, and I propose an in-game texture creator.

Also, I'm wondering how I'd even be able to see what the other texture options look like for the parts, or even how I'd add textures for the tanks currently. That's probably a question for Add-On Development.

EDIT: the Fairing textures need a bit of improvement, although it's a neat start.

Edited by Astrofox

I support the idea of stock KerbPaint :)

The old parts can (at present) be brought back with a little config editing or module manager patching.

(I am however not disappointed by the fact the new MK1-2 pod is lighter than the old one, and has the hatch aligned in a way that is somewhat sensible. In fact I've modded my 1.3.1 game to make that capsule the same weight.)

I just wish we had consistent texture styles... I like the new stuff but now we have EVEN MOAR art styles that don't match each other. Even the damned white parts aren't the same white as the old white parts :'( 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.