New Player!

lolowl

Hi all. I'm new to KSP. Even better (worse?), my gaming skills are rusty thanks to four years in that all-consuming alternate universe known as grad school. Looking forward to gaming again (hooray!) and getting involved in the forum (double hooray!)

Seriously though, this looks like a friendly and supportive learning space. I'm excited to spend some time with y'all and re-learn how to do that videogame clicky happy play play thingy in the process. 

9 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

You did it wrong. You're supposed to spend most of grad school gaming. It's after you get a job that it's hard to find the time. 

Haha, I wish! There's a saying among us humanities grad students: "Studying, social life, sleep. Pick two."

My top priorities were 1) graduate and 2) don't develop a sleep disorder, so... RIP social life. :P

8 hours ago, James Kerman said:

Greetings and welcome to the forum, @lolowl.

Google is telling me that you have completed an advanced degree (we don't have grad school here) so congratulations and game on, you've earned it.  If you don't mind me asking, what did you study?

Thanks for the warm welcome, @James Kerman

Truth be told, I'm actively working on advanced degree number two.

Degree no.1: an MA in History (post-1865 American, though I studied and taught modern Europe too). I did the obligatory archival research & monograph writing, but my primary area of interest was how to teach history effectively so that students felt they were learning something of value, something relevant to their daily lives. (After all, the reason we teach the past is so we humans can look toward the future!) That got me interested in the science of learning, particularly the uses of storytelling, data visualisation, and interactive materials. I started corresponding with a few professors who specialize in those areas, which led to...

Degree no.2: Instructional Design (in progress)

#noregrets 

I'm happy to nerd out about learning theory if anyone wants to know - otherwise I will spare you the deluge.

If nothing else, I'm sure folks on the KSP forum can agree that learning is fun. ;D

You could consider starting a thread in the science and spaceflight sub forum on learning theory.  While I am not well educated, I intend to force strongly encourage my children to be so and would love to see some of the work being done in this field.