Updated Terms Notice & Privacy Policy

Azimech

5 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

The problem is that Take 2 uses the same generic boilerplate stuff for all EULAs even when it makes no sense and doesn't apply.  Kerbal Space Program doesn't even access the stuff the EULA claims they now need this new permission for.  (i.e. how exactly does KSP know your phone number?)  The reason this text is in the EULA is that they make it a one-size-fits-all EULA and not only apply it to all  the games but also to the *website forum*.  Website fora need some of these permissions so people can't come back later and say "I hereby rescind your right to show the content I composed and typed into comments on your forum.  Delete all my posts now."  MMO's also need some of these permissions in order to ensure player identity is what it says it is (no sockpuppet accounts).  But by also using the same EULA on all games they publish it ends up looking very scary indeed.  Yes, the people who don't like the new EULA are right that it looks very bad.  But the reason is laziness, not malice.  They don't want to bother writing a different EULA for every different game's individual circumstances.

Thank you, you said it way better than me

9 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

?

Fine... I'll take this one.

Battlestar.  From Battlestar Galatica. 

The Battlestar class Warship was a heavy carrier that had FTL jump capabilities.  But it wasn't able to do atmospheric flight. 

So if it accidentally jumped into atmo around a planet, it would fall from the sky.   Fast. 

On 2/22/2018 at 9:44 PM, Just Jim said:

is this saying Take-Two can publish Emiko Station, and leave me out of the equation completely?

Yes.

To me some of the changes are clear. If you make a mod, write a story, or create anything to do with kerbals, and then they see it is popular and could be monetised, you have agreed to them having the right to just take it and sell it as theirs.

Anything you create is theirs, not yours.

You are not allowed to sell it, but they are allowed to take it from you and sell it.

Luckily enough i live in a civilised part of the world, where EULAs have no power at all.

As cream on top collecting personal data without my permission is also illegal here.

Considering it's illegal to collect data against my will we're close to organised crime here in case i find out there's just a single byte of personal data.

And in the mean time, Take Two's stock is about to go for a ride; Its stock has been upgraded. KSP has nothing to do with this development, Take Two could shelve it at this point and it wouldn't matter. Watch the ride... that's about all you can do at this point if you've not already bought in (except maybe wait for the next tumble they take).

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/04/30/take-two-interactive-stock-upgraded-what-you-need.aspx

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/take-twos-stock-surges-after-wedbush-upgrades-ahead-of-earnings-report-2018-04-30

https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/TTWO?s=ttwo

On 4/30/2018 at 9:42 AM, micr0wave said:

Luckily enough i live in a civilised part of the world, where EULAs have no power at all.

As cream on top collecting personal data without my permission is also illegal here.

Considering it's illegal to collect data against my will we're close to organised crime here in case i find out there's just a single byte of personal data.

where do u live?

On 4/30/2018 at 1:13 AM, oversoul said:

Steam reviews 52% and falling faster than a Battlestar jumped into upper atmo...

Actually looking at the graph on Steam, the opposite seems to be true.

FuSnkkZ.jpg

There was a large spike in negative reviews out of nowhere on 23rd April, but in the 12 days since then the number of negatives has fallen steeply and it's looking pretty much back to normal now.

So the bad reviews are disappearing like Basestars over New Cap.

I would love to play KSP 1.4

In fact, I have but this new EULA is ridiculous. I will not play this game if I already had to pay my own good money just to have my private information taken. I probably won't even play 1.3 because 1.4 is a lot smoother and I just don't think it will be the same.

sorry for the rant, I honestly had no where to vent but still, I dont get the point of playing a video game in exchange for your own cash, and then have it take personal information along with it too. I'm not trying to target the ksp devs or anything, but I just wanted to express my thoughts on the topic

Edited by Darth C3P0

50 minutes ago, Darth C3P0 said:

I would love to play KSP 1.4

In fact, I have but this new EULA is ridiculous. I will not play this game if I already had to pay my own good money just to have my private information taken. I probably won't even play 1.3 because 1.4 is a lot smoother and I just don't think it will be the same.

sorry for the rant, I honestly had no where to vent but still, I dont get the point of playing a video game in exchange for your own cash, and then have it take personal information along with it too. I'm not trying to target the ksp devs or anything, but I just wanted to express my thoughts on the topic

Then I guess you won't be playing that many video games, since it's a standard EULA version similar to most other game EULAs. 

Have you read any of the other EULAs of the other games you play?

9 hours ago, evilman222 said:

First off, love the paraglider option. Very useful for my Eve research base/prison camp :D

That said, anyone else having framerate issues since updating? It's probably just a problem somewhere in the unholy number of mods I have installed, but my framerate has tanked since updating to 1.4.3

Check to see if you getting any exceptions in the log. If you are running mods which have not been rebuilt for the new version, then you are asking for trouble. 

21 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Then I guess you won't be playing that many video games, since it's a standard EULA version similar to most other game EULAs. 

eh, i guess i was wrong. meant privacy policy anyways

but still i dont really like the fact that they are able to get my information just because I bought their content

The types of information collected in connection with the activities listed above will vary depending on the activity. The information we collect may include personal information such as your first and/or last name, e-mail address, phone number, photo, mailing address, geolocation, or payment information. In addition, we may collect your age, gender, date of birth, zip code, hardware configuration, console ID, software products played, survey data, purchases, IP address and the systems you have played on. We may combine the information with your personal information and across other computers or devices that you may use. Prize winners may be required to provide additional information for prize fulfillment.

Edited by Darth C3P0

37 minutes ago, Darth C3P0 said:

but still i dont really like the fact that they are able to get my information just because I bought their content

Nobody does, I think, but unfortunately, that's the world we live in.

Besides, the fact that the standard EULA says something, doesn't mean what you think it does.  They have to be broad and specific to cover themselves against lawsuits, but it doesn't mean they will be doing everything they list

Ok seriously? This is still a thing?  Does anyone understand that all this "information that they collect" has been given freely by "you", the consumer, and is required to conduct basic on-line commerce??

You want to buy KSP from the KSP store, or on Steam?  You have to pay for it, right?  How would you accomplish this?  This involves providing your name, address, sometimes your phone number, and your payment method, whether it be a credit/debit card, or PayPal information.  This information is used to not only verify your billing address with your bank/financial institution, but also to prevent fraud and abuse, which is also why your IP address is recorded.  Sometimes, depending on your bank's fraud prevention practices or your individual account policy, you may get a call from your card company's fraud prevention services if you fly across the country and use your card.  It was used at one location in New York, and 8 hours later it was used at an ATM (which has it's own IP address) in Los Angeles.  *Ring Ring*, credit card company is calling to check in.

Some online games are rated Mature for example, so you will need to provide your age to purchase.  Some surveys ask for your gender; your online profile has a block to fill in your date of birth or gaming computer specs; and to receive a weekly newsletter you need to provide your email address.  You don't want online websites/services to have all this information?  Don't give it.  Steam, Origin, UPlay, whatever you use; nobody is forcing you to subscribe to newsletters, fill out online profiles to connect with your friends, complete surveys, etc.  You are choosing to perform these actions of your own free will.  And when you do this, the companies that own these services will contract market research businesses to collect, aggregate, and analyze all this information that all these consumers are putting online, for the sole purpose of improving their business model, produce more attractive products/services, and generate future business.

How do you think Google and other various services are able to tailor suggested YouTube videos, search results, and product ads targeted toward your preferences and habits? They're watching/recording/using what you search for, stream, and buy on the internet from your various devices.  Welcome to the digital age!

I apologize for the strongly-worded and long-winded rant (it's not aimed at any one user specifically), but I just can't wrap my head around how everyone views Squad/Take-Two as this evil menace that is hijacking their personal identities for nefarious purposes, when 1) This is the same EULA that everyone blindly signs for other games; 2) so many people freely give all this personal information already without a second thought, like on social media; and 3) a lot of this is already a matter of public record simply by having a mailing address, phone number, internet service provider, or even a birth certificate.

Edited by Raptor9

On 4/29/2018 at 4:18 PM, Cheif Operations Director said:

?

On 4/30/2018 at 1:38 AM, Gargamel said:

Battlestar.  From Battlestar Galatica. 

The Battlestar class Warship was a heavy carrier that had FTL jump capabilities.  But it wasn't able to do atmospheric flight. 

So if it accidentally jumped into atmo around a planet, it would fall from the sky.   Fast. 

On 4/30/2018 at 2:27 AM, 5thHorseman said:

Or intentionally.

Quite intentionally. After the Cylons took over New Caprica, the humans took it back with a move analogous to a HALO (High Altitude, Low Opening) maneuver, where the Galactica did an FTL into the high atmosphere with no horizontal velocity and dropped (with cool shock heating effects) into the lower atmosphere, where it launched its Vipers for ground attack before doing another FTL jump back into space to battle the Cylon Base Stars. Which resulted in...

On 5/5/2018 at 5:54 AM, purpleivan said:

are disappearing like Basestars over New Cap.

Spoiler

But back to the topic at hand.... Yeah, standard EULA, all our secrets are belong to them, as if they're really interested. After the Facebook scandal, this is pretty minor in comparison to what they were doing. They're just covering their assets.

Anyone who´s intrested in her or his privacy online should know how to monitor and limit what data is sent and to where.

Bother less with what's stated in boilerplate EULAs and more with what actually done. Otherwise the entire idea is down the drains.

The monitoring done in KSP is negated with 1 or 2 lines/rules in the firewall config or your local host file.

In windows it's as simple as blocking KSP.exe and/or KSP_64.exe from network access.

// Curveball, Senior Information Security Analyst at <redacted but large-ish Telco>

On 5/6/2018 at 5:45 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Check to see if you getting any exceptions in the log. If you are running mods which have not been rebuilt for the new version, then you are asking for trouble. 

I appear to have broken my install to the point where it doesn't even generate a log haha. Guess it's time to finally surrender and make a clean install...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.