Azimech

Updated Terms Notice & Privacy Policy

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

It doesn't help that Squad isn't really saying anything.  I've heard the defense of "They need to talk to their lawyers to say the right thing" or something.  Is it really that hard to say "Come on, guys.  Seriously?  We're not gathering your personal info.  Cool your jets."

KSP isn't spyware, but Squad's silence is giving people ammunition.

I'm pretty sure that Squad will not say anything without express permission from Take Two, and if that ever comes I doubt it will come over a weekend.  It's still not a fair response to go on Steam and call the game "spyware" and say it's crawling your PC for bank accounts and social security numbers with no proof at all that this is happening.  The only tangegible thing we have right now is intercepted data that clearly shows no such information is being sent to Squad/TT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

Innocent until proven less than innocent, etc? it's on us to prove them guilty, and there's no evidence.

So, if I start saying lies about you, you're not going to speak up?  This is real life that could affect their reputation.  Say something.

6 minutes ago, AngryBadger said:

I'm pretty sure that Squad will not say anything without express permission from Take Two, and if that ever comes I doubt it will come over a weekend.  It's still not a fair response to go on Steam and call the game "spyware" and say it's crawling your PC for bank accounts and social security numbers with no proof at all that this is happening.  The only tangegible thing we have right now is intercepted data that clearly shows no such information is being sent to Squad/TT. 

Hey, guys?  Think we should clear up this misinformation?

Sure.

Okay.  Will do.

...

Man, to bad that took a week and tens of meetings to figure out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Hey, guys?  Think we should clear up this misinformation?

Sure.

Okay.  Will do.

...

Man, to bad that took a week and tens of meetings to figure out.

That's easy.

Coming up with a statement that does not constitute legal advice, is easily interpreted, can't possibly harm them down the line, and reassures without backfiring? That's trickier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

So, if I start saying lies about you, you're not going to speak up?

Well, if the lies are as outrageously idiotic as some mentioned here, no. I'd leave it to people to use their brains.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

That's easy.

Coming up with a statement that does not constitute legal advice, is easily interpreted, can't possibly harm them down the line, and reassures without backfiring? That's trickier.

If I tell you I don't kick puppies, I'm not giving you legal advice.  It's not that complicated.

16 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Well, if the lies are as outrageously idiotic as some mentioned here, no. I'd leave it to people to use their brains.

I have little faith in brains these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

If I tell you I don't kick puppies, I'm not giving you legal advice.  It's not that complicated.

Their EULA does not state "we reserve the right to kick your puppy". If it did, for some godawful reason, then they would have a bear of a time coming up with a not-legal-advice statement clarifying "this only applies if you're Hitler, but we have a hard time defining when you're Hitler, so we leave that part out of the EULA".

Edited by Starman4308
Fixed spelling of hte post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steve_v said:

ROFL, they can try...
Repo man knocking on the door?
Asking the NSA for a windows backdoor so they can remote delete it?
I think not. EULAs like this are works of fiction.
 

These "people"  clearly do not know how to capture such activity, or they would see that there is none. Over here we call this FUD.
Just for lols, (and it's slow) I just started KSP under strace. It shows nothing of the sort. Expected accesses to system libraries, that's it.
Perhaps this is a problem specific to the Windows build... In which case you have bigger things to worry about - Windows 10 is spyware.

People are stupid. And gullible.

 

Incidentally, if you do want to block the analytics for some reason: echo -e '127.0.0.1 cdp.cloud.unity3d.com\n127.0.0.1 api.redshell.io' >> /etc/hosts'
Or just block all outgoing traffic from the KSP executable in your firewall. Iptables has --cmd-owner, dunno about windows.

They why does the EULA and Privacy Policy allow them to do it? 

Im not suggesting Take Two or SQUAD is actively trying to take personal information. That being said if they could take let's say and email address and then oh I get spam mail from an advertisement firm I would believe they would do that. The facts you surrender the ability to keep your information such as zip code and IP address secret is a gift to the hackers of this world.

Don't call people dumb and such for whatever reasons. It's called a Strawman arguement.

1 hour ago, AngryBadger said:

I'm pretty sure that Squad will not say anything without express permission from Take Two, and if that ever comes I doubt it will come over a weekend.  It's still not a fair response to go on Steam and call the game "spyware" and say it's crawling your PC for bank accounts and social security numbers with no proof at all that this is happening.  The only tangegible thing we have right now is intercepted data that clearly shows no such information is being sent to Squad/TT. 

You do surrender your right to that privacy. So they technically could if they wanted too.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a PR nightmare but they CAN. And Hackers would take advantage of that.

 

For all those know it all's I know you can't start a sentence with And ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

They why does the EULA and Privacy Policy allow them to do it? 

Im not suggesting Take Two or SQUAD is actively trying to take personal information. That being said if they could take let's say and email address and then oh I get spam mail from an advertisement firm I would believe they would do that. The facts you surrender the ability to keep your information such as zip code and IP address secret is a gift to the hackers of this world.

Because it's legalese for "hey, if you submit this information to us for things like a microtransaction purchase, we don't want to be sued for keeping that information".

Again, if you're concerned, get a lawyer. Legalese has long since become a separate language from English. A layman's interpretation of the EULA is hardly guaranteed to be correct: mine included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

They why does the EULA and Privacy Policy allow them to do it? 

Im not suggesting Take Two or SQUAD is actively trying to take personal information. That being said if they could take let's say and email address and then oh I get spam mail from an advertisement firm I would believe they would do that. The facts you surrender the ability to keep your information such as zip code and IP address secret is a gift to the hackers of this world.

I have said it multiple times now, all of that information is needed to make an online purchase. There may not be a reason for it at this moment, but perhaps in the future there will be and that’s why it’s in there. In order for them to get that information, you have to give it to them. You are giving them the right to process your payment. If you have made an online purchase ever, you would know you have to insert a billing address, an acct number, a name, and any other pertinent information. 

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Starman4308 said:

Because it's legalese for "hey, if you submit this information to us for things like a microtransaction purchase, we don't want to be sued for keeping that information".

Again, if you're concerned, get a lawyer. Legalese has long since become a separate language from English. A layman's interpretation of the EULA is hardly guaranteed to be correct: mine included.

I understand what you are saying but it doesn't mention only of you purchase it doesn't say:

Take Two Interactive is not responsible for and Data collected during In-Game Purchases. 

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I have said it multiple times now, all of that information is needed to make an online purchase. There may not be a reason for it at this moment, but perhaps in the future there will be and that’s why it’s in there. In order for them to get that information, you have to give it to them. You are giving them the right to process your payment. If you have made an online purchase ever, you would know you have to insert a billing address, an acct number, a name, and any other pertinent information. 

WE DONT HAVE ONLINE PURCHASES!

Why do they need to know my banking info if I haven't bought anything

I intend to only use steam cards to buy the expansion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I understand what you are saying but it doesn't mention only of you purchase it doesn't say:

Take Two Interactive is not responsible for and Data collected during In-Game Purchases. 

WE DONT HAVE ONLINE PURCHASES!

Reread my comment. Actually I’ll just say it again, mr. caps:

“there may not be a reason for it right now, but perhaps in the future there will be and that’s why it’s in there”

that clear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atleast until I found out about this EULA.

Just now, Galileo said:

Reread my comment. Actually I’ll just say it again, mr. caps:

“there may not be a reason for it right now, but perhaps in the future there will be and that’s why it’s in there”

that clear?

Is what followed it also clear?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

-snip-

If you feel that strongly about it, no one is twisting your arm.

You are entirely free to not agree with the EULA and cease your legal relationship with Take Two by not utilizing your license to play KSP anymore.

(Also, the EULA is a copy-paste boiler plate job that T2 uses for every single one of their games. Some of the stuff doesn't apply to KSP just like some of the stuff doesn't apply to the other games it's used for. If it concerns you so; speak to a lawyer and have them explain it to you.)

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Atleast until I found out about this EULA.

Is what followed it also clear?

What are you even talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I understand what you are saying but it doesn't mention only of you purchase it doesn't say:

Take Two Interactive is not responsible for and Data collected during In-Game Purchases. 

WE DONT HAVE ONLINE PURCHASES!

Why do they need to know my banking info if I haven't bought anything

I intend to only use steam cards to buy the expansion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Galileo said:

What are you even talking about?

I think he's talking about the unclear legalese of the EULA, which, shockingly enough, is written in legalese not meant to be interpreted by laymen, and casts a broad net to keep Take Two out of any conceivable legal trouble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Why do they need to know my banking info if I haven't bought anything

I intend to only use steam cards to buy the expansion.

They don’t, and they won’t get it until you decide to make a purchase.

Edited by Galileo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

If you feel that strongly about it, no one is twisting your arm.

You are entirely free to not agree with the EULA and cease your legal relationship with Take Two by not utilizing your license to play KSP anymore.

Also, the EULA is a copy-paste boiler plate job that T2 uses for every single one of their games. Some of the stuff doesn't apply to KSP just like some of the stuff doesn't apply to the other games it's used for. If it concerns you so; speak to a lawyer.

Why does Take-Two need my info if I don't want to give it to them and I want to get the expansion though an an alternate means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cheif Operations Director said:

Why does Take-Two need my info if I don't want to give it to them and I want to get the expansion though an an alternate means.

They don't, so they won't collect it. For those who would buy via a credit card, they would collect it. Is that simple enough for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Starman4308 said:

I think he's talking about the unclear legalese of the EULA, which, shockingly enough, is written in legalese not meant to be interpreted by laymen, and casts a broad net to keep Take Two out of any conceivable legal trouble.

Again why do they need my banking info if I want make a purchase to them directly?

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

 

And?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My bet is the first mod they remove will be someone taking all the making history parts and putting them in a download as a 'mod'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frozen_Heart said:

My bet is the first mod they remove will be someone taking all the making history parts and putting them in a download as a 'mod'

Maby Maby not 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Why does Take-Two need my info if I don't want to give it to them and I want to get the expansion though an an alternate means.

If you don't submit any info to them, they won't have it.

The EULA gives them the right to keep your info, not mine it up from the depths of your computer (Also, are you just keeping all your personal info in a notepad file or something? How would they even get it?). You are misunderstanding the purpose of the EULA. It's to protect T2 from you.

EULA's are written by lawyers to cover the worst possible case scenarios that will likely never happen. T2 is more afraid of you than you are of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frozen_Heart said:

My bet is the first mod they remove will be someone taking all the making history parts and putting them in a download as a 'mod'

If somebody tries that, they deserve all the Take Two legalese they will get.

And, to clarify, I'm thinking "literally ripping the models, textures, and configs". I'm pretty sure they can't do squat if you created a mod that also had replica parts, so long as you can show that you made those yourself using historical references, without starting from the Making History assets in any way. Otherwise, I suspect numerous modders who've made their own replicas would've already gotten C&D letters...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

If you don't submit any info to them, they won't have it.

The EULA gives them the right to keep your info, not mine it up from the depths of your computer (Also, are you just keeping all your personal info in a notepad file or something? How would they even get it?). You are misunderstanding the purpose of the EULA. It's to protect T2 from you.

EULA's are written by lawyers to cover the worst possible case scenarios that will likely never happen. T2 is more afraid of you than you are of them.

"The types of information collected in connection with the activities listed above will vary depending on the activity. The information we collect may include personal information such as your first and/or last name, e-mail address, phone number, photo, mailing address, geolocation, or payment information. In addition, we may collect your age, gender, date of birth, zip code, hardware configuration, console ID, software products played, survey data, purchases, IP address and the systems you have played on. We may combine the information with your personal information and across other computers or devices that you may use. Prize winners may be required to provide additional information for prize fulfillment."

That's from the privacy policy

 

"The types of information collected"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.