The Olympus-Kerbalev Test Project: A Historical Replica (now on Steam Workshop!)

Lupi

wYIpmGK.jpg

The year is 1975, and the rivalry is softening between the Kerbal Space Program and their opponents, Roskosmos.

dd2yIur.jpg

They've decided to put aside their differences and try to open up an avenue for future collaboration in space. 

6LKe65x.png

To this end, the KSP has produced its last Tylo IB rocket, and Roskosmos has supplied a Kerbalev-U, upon which the Olympus 18 and Kerbalev-19 flights will take place.

Jry24B7.png

They will rendezvous and dock in Low Kerbin Orbit with a special docking adapter, and sign a treaty to bring their rivalry to an end.

pncqGka.png

Or they would... but they need your help. That's where you come in.

Kgr0bxk.jpg

As commander of the Olympus-Kerbalev Test Project, you will perform the launches and rendezvous maneuvers, and then bring them home after!

If high-inclination rendezvous isn't hard enough, there's also bonus challenges! 

NOW ON STEAM! WHOO!

This mission is intended to be a replica of the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project, and comes complete with facts about the real mission! I hope you guys enjoy it.

Download from KerbalX!

Subscribe on Steam Workshop!

Notes: Failure states should probably be added to help deal with sequence breaks and so on.

Feedback would be welcomed so i can know what needs fixing

Edited by Lupi
inserted steam link

This is a very nicely made mission, and hopefully an example of what we can expect from the community in the future. (And I like your Soyuz.)

I broke the scripting at one point, as *cough* I may have been playing KSP for too long... I timed the Apollo launch a bit too perfectly, and "intercepted" the Soyuz direct from the launchpad. And by "intercepted" I mean "rendezvoused at a distance of zero meters with a relative velocity of close to 200 m/s." Ooops. Restarting from the Apollo launch broke Gene's blurbs, but I still managed to make a safe rendezvous on the second launch attempt. I'll give the whole thing a second shot sometime later this week.

Well done!

N4VqxAW.jpg

9 hours ago, Cydonian Monk said:

This is a very nicely made mission, and hopefully an example of what we can expect from the community in the future. (And I like your Soyuz.)

I broke the scripting at one point, as *cough* I may have been playing KSP for too long... I timed the Apollo launch a bit too perfectly, and "intercepted" the Soyuz direct from the launchpad. And by "intercepted" I mean "rendezvoused at a distance of zero meters with a relative velocity of close to 200 m/s." Ooops. Restarting from the Apollo launch broke Gene's blurbs, but I still managed to make a safe rendezvous on the second launch attempt. I'll give the whole thing a second shot sometime later this week.

Well done!

N4VqxAW.jpg

Yeah, the scripting has a couple places you can catch it out that I didn't initially think of. I've got a few ideas on how to shore it up. Adding a catch-all node to detect the docking should do it for this instance, and then feeding that back in so the mission continues normally would help, though it would require me also rejigging the scoring system. The speed challenges might have to be measured from launch instead.

Question is, would I want to test ALL dockings from the launch of the Olympus? That would make the scoring challenges a bit harder to complete... but then, I was getting speed 3 challenges without even trying. Might not be the worst difficulty increase.

Thanks for making this mission! It looks exactly like what I was expecting from the update.  If there is a help file explaining community missions I have not found it yet. Some very basic questions. I'm not sure how to install the mission.  I have looked at your zip file.  Am I supposed to copy the persistent files to my saves folder? I currently have nothing in my missions folder what should I put there?  Can you please tell me where to put each file? Thanks for your help.

Edited by Lucky Spacer

1 hour ago, Lucky Spacer said:

Thanks for making this mission! It looks exactly like what I was expecting from the update.  If there is a help file explaining community missions I have not found it yet. Some very basic questions. I'm not sure how to install the mission.  I have looked at your zip file.  Am I supposed to copy the persistent files to my saves folder? I currently have nothing in my missions folder what should I put there?  Can you please tell me where to put each file? Thanks for your help.

The mission builder puts the mission folder in a zip. It'll give you "OKTP.zip" which contains the folder "The Olympus-Kerbalev Test Project." That folder goes in your Missions folder in the root directory

Alright, I said I wasn't gonna load up kerbal for several days after release, but I got the itch. A catch-all node has been added to continue the mission when you get the vessels within 2km of each other, which should help prevent sequence breaks. 

Download link should remain unchanged, as I'm just using google drive as there isn't yet (to my knowledge) a community site for hosting missions, and i just overwrote the files.

3 hours ago, Z4ys said:

I cannot finish the mission. Everytime i docked both ships and the Docking part gets fulfiled the mission is stuck.

How does it get stuck? Does it show the message onscreen?

1 hour ago, mor128 said:

For me it it gets stuck after getting in 2km range. It just doesn't notice that I docked.

That's concerning. I'll have to take a look in the morning... it shouldn't be acting out like that. Worked fine up until then, through CSM separation and all that?

Just now, mor128 said:

Yes. Could be a bug in the game.

It could also be the last update i pushed out, since I added a catch-all rendezvous node in to try to help correct for sequence breaks earlier on in the mission.

What i noticed is that when you quickload the progress isnt tracked anymore. So quickloading breaks the game. Because of that I tried the mission in one try. But whenever I succesfully dock both ships I cannot trigger the End note. I let the ship docked for over 1 day then I landed the US ship first and recovered the crew after that i landed the russian one and recvovered the crew. No ships active mission still running.

8 hours ago, Z4ys said:

What i noticed is that when you quickload the progress isnt tracked anymore. So quickloading breaks the game. Because of that I tried the mission in one try. But whenever I succesfully dock both ships I cannot trigger the End note. I let the ship docked for over 1 day then I landed the US ship first and recovered the crew after that i landed the russian one and recvovered the crew. No ships active mission still running.

Of course these problems would show up AFTER i'd tested it at length to make sure they didn't. I'm well and truly baffled, dunno if it's my fault, or the game's.

I'm gonna chase a theory that some things have gone wrong because I started making this mission in the media builds of KSP and something may have changed inside. give me a good while to rebuild the mission and we'll see if that fixes some of these problems

Is anyone getting KeyNotFoundException logspam on mission load

Edited by Lupi

Rebuilt from scratch to deal with edge cases better: turns out the rendezvous node was upset with being a catchall node testing for a ship that didn't exist at first. I also (hopefully) resolved the issue it was having with the CSM separation. I think it was testing for the 'vessel docked' in the one or two physics ticks between hitting spacebar (and activating the CSM sep node) and the decoupler actually firing.

Also, with feedback from @Cydonian Monk, I worked in the edge case for launching into a perfect rendezvous. (the number displayed for the check there is wrong, it's actually a 30 minute time limit.)

Xubbxvx.png

(Open in new tab to enlarge)

Download link in main post is still valid, just updated the file in google drive! Once i'm satisfied it's finished, I'll move it over to KerbalX.

Edited by Lupi

1 hour ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Cool. I’ll give this mission another test run sometime later today.

I gave it a test and everything i tried to do worked, except the orbit scoring. But that's never worked anyway, so i dunno.

3 hours ago, Lupi said:

I gave it a test and everything i tried to do worked, except the orbit scoring. But that's never worked anyway, so i dunno.

Looks good to me (not sure about orbit scoring, now that I read that again). At least the direct-ascent intercept works, or at least picks the narrative back up once you've docked the Olympus to the Kerbalev. I ended up with a final score of 150 on that particular scenario. I did forget to turn on the Olympus gear though. Ooops. Hope they didn't need that antenna. :wink:

Spend Time Together: I was seriously tempted to bring the wrong crews home in the wrong capsules. I wonder how we would've reacted if Deke had swapped out with Leonov....

SHW2ozc.jpg

Our craft will blot out the Sun: "Then we shall orbit in the shade."

LxRGxIw.jpg

The Final Score: 150.

acLsRce.jpg

1 minute ago, Cydonian Monk said:

Looks good to me (not sure about orbit scoring, now that I read that again). At least the direct-ascent intercept works, or at least picks the narrative back up once you've docked the Olympus to the Kerbalev. I ended up with a final score of 150 on that particular scenario. I did forget to turn on the Olympus gear though. Ooops. Hope they didn't need that antenna. :wink:

Spend Time Together: I was seriously tempted to bring the wrong crews home in the wrong capsules. I wonder how we would've reacted if Deke had swapped out with Leonov....

SHW2ozc.jpg

Our craft will blot out the Sun: "Then we shall orbit in the shade."

LxRGxIw.jpg

The Final Score: 150.

acLsRce.jpg

The gear action group is just to remind you so you don't somehow lose power. They're both chock full of batteries, so that shouldn't happen, but G deploys antennas, fuel cells, and solar panels for the craft..

It's very good to know this mission completes for others, even if the scoring for orbits isn't quite behaving yet.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.