Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion Grand Discussion thread.

Vanamonde

So, if that Mission Builder thing is an actual ubersandbox where you build things and teleport to different locations, set their orbits and positions then I will consider it pretty amazing and just assume the new contracts and parts are simply "extra" thrown into this DLC pack of sorts.

Edited by Veeltch

Regarding this mission builder.... what I would love is to have, in career mode, some way to create my own missions, which would remunerate more as the mission goals got harder. This would set us free from the standard career missions, which are not bad, but are a bit limiting.

Good news for me is that I no longer have to update Mission Controller anymore.. The new expansion is pretty much Mission Controller all in one.  Not been in the loop all that much anymore but if nightingale is still on the Dev team then the Mission Builder is going to be his mod Contract Configurator only in game editing.  Which is good.

Edited by malkuth

While I will most probably buy any DLC SQUAD decides to release, the distinct lack of performance improvements touted for this update make is rather un-exciting to me.
While I'm sure localisation / new parts etc. are all fine and dandy, what I want to see (and have since day one) is the eradication of the GC stutter, and reasonable (>30FPS) performance at the tier 2 facility part count limit (255 parts) on current consumer hardware.

Finally fixing those terrain seams is nice though.

Edited by steve_v

On 3/22/2017 at 5:36 PM, p1t1o said:

There are NO games that are in a permanent state of update and content adding, it makes no sense as a commercial venture.

Im not talking content, the limit to that is the economic/commercial endurance of the project, plus it would seem that extra content would come in the form of more DLCs from this point on

Well, there are some games... But they are subscription based, so they have continuous income along with continuous development.

Then there are games that seem to be in constant development: Arma 3 came out in 2013, and they've released multiple paid DLCs and arent finshed releasing DLC yet.

But yea... Past a certain point, they need more money to continue improving the game.

Or... You can rely on an active mod community to keep the game fresh after the dev team moves on to other things

I bought KSP in late 5-13 from the store. Almost 4 years ago. But now, if I want the (expansion pack) or the (update), depending on what terminology you agree with, I'll have to pay "x" amount for "what it's not really clear yet" at what yet date, (Not really

clear yet either) . It just feels so unfair. Am I alone here?

No your not. I remember reading one moderator clearly say May 1st 2013 was the cut off date for getting it, which is the day I got it. Yet it seems they had it in April. 

Considering I've only lacked the game for 30 days compared to those who do get it free. 

Edited by ZooNamedGames

I bought it about a month after the free cut off date :P I've honestly spent well over 2 thousand hours in Kerbal, meaning it's been about 87 hours per dollar I've spent on KSP so I'm not complaining on spending more :).

I get it for free and I never asked. Pretty cool even if I think people were making a mountain out of a molehill over it back in the day. tbh I'm not even sure why that was a thing...

From the Store faq:

saw the post stating that players who purchased the game before May 2013 will get expansions for Free. Does this apply to Steam purchases as well?

Yes, any purchase made before May 1st 2013 counts, regardless of the payment or distribution method.

On 2 April 2017 at 5:32 AM, malkuth said:

Good news for me is that I no longer have to update Mission Controller anymore.. The new expansion is pretty much Mission Controller all in one.  Not been in the loop all that much anymore but if nightingale is still on the Dev team then the Mission Builder is going to be his mod Contract Configurator only in game editing.  Which is good.

Not sure what you are basing that on. I didn't see @nightingale say that at all, and yes he left Squad back in Jan? Mission Builder is not Contract Configurator. Nor does it generate or use contracts.

On 30 March 2017 at 9:38 PM, Veeltch said:

So, if that Mission Builder thing is an actual ubersandbox where you build things and teleport to different locations, set their orbits and positions then I will consider it pretty amazing and just assume the new contracts and parts are simply "extra" thrown into this DLC pack of sorts.

Well the first part is close but not exactly correct, as it was explained in the KSP Weekly's. But nowhere did anyone say anything about it adding contracts? So not sure where you sourced that info from.

2 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Not sure what you are basing that on. I didn't see @nightingale say that at all, and yes he left Squad back in Jan? Mission Builder is not Contract Configurator. Nor does it generate or use contracts.

Well the first part is close but not exactly correct, as it was explained in the KSP Weekly's. But nowhere did anyone say anything about it adding contracts? So not sure where you sourced that info from.

So its not a custom contract maker.. Thats a little disappointing.  Well scrap what I said than.

17 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

I thought the historical contracts will be a part of the DLC? I was refering to the Mission Builder as the main part of the DLC + historical missions + parts. Not contracts being a part of the Mission Builder.

Just wanted to make that clear.

Edited by Veeltch

8 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

First time I've heard someone actually say it's not custom missions for career.

Disappointed. 

Wouldn't that have been great, being able to direct the space program?

23 hours ago, SpacedCowboy said:

I bought KSP in late 5-13 from the store. Almost 4 years ago. But now, if I want the (expansion pack) or the (update), depending on what terminology you agree with, I'll have to pay "x" amount for "what it's not really clear yet" at what yet date, (Not really clear yet either) . It just feels so unfair. Am I alone here?

It's only unfair when you assume that you have to agree to pay now.

By the time Squad starts selling the expansion you know:

• What date (because that's when they start selling it)
  • What price (because they'll be selling it for that price)
  • What's in it (because we'll hear that from those who bought it)

So given that you will know the x amount, the release date and what's in it, it will not feel unfair. Problem solved!